Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    macslash wrote: »
    That's a pity. You would have to think there is someone lined up to come in. It's bigger the squad needs to get

I’d say a first choice 15 will be targeted, toh had been playing well recently but feel he hasn’t really been challenged the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    I’d say a first choice 15 will be targeted, toh had been playing well recently but feel he hasn’t really been challenged the last few years

In fairness none of us know how recruitment plans may be effected by the ongoing situation. The need for a bigger squad and the finances to achieve it may no longer match up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

KBurke85 wrote: »
    In fairness none of us know how recruitment plans may be effected by the ongoing situation. The need for a bigger squad and the finances to achieve it may no longer match up

I’d say it’s very likely to affect overseas recruitment, especially any big signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    salmocab wrote: »
    I’d say it’s very likely to affect overseas recruitment, especially any big signings.

As much as our budget might fall overseas players earning potential will fall too.

NZ and Australia unions are in bigger trouble than us at the moment. The English clubs are slashing salarys but I'm not sure how the French sugar daddys are getting on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

As much as our budget might fall overseas players earning potential will fall too.

NZ and Australia unions are in bigger trouble than us at the moment. The English clubs are slashing salarys but I'm not sure how the French sugar daddys are getting on.

Actually fair point although I would think the irfu may want to circle the wagons so to speak with making the best of what’s currently here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Was desesperately calling for this since Naoupu, would be very happy if it happens!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Why look international for a no.8 when our owners the IRFU are sitting on 2 top class No. 8's in Deegan and Dorris in one regional team.

How can that be in the interest of the the international team? -> that question is for Nucifora, when he comes on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    ki wrote: »
    Why look international for a no.8 when our owners the IRFU are sitting on 2 top class No. 8's in Deegan and Dorris in one regional team.

How can that be in the interest of the the international team? -> that question is for Nucifora, when he comes on here.

It’s not just up to Nucifora. The player has to want to make the move too.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    So there’s been links to weise, Arnold and Oliver. Any other names to add ?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

KBurke85 wrote: »
    It’s not just up to Nucifora. The player has to want to make the move too.

I know that, but Carberry did not seek out a move to Munster!

There are ways and means to achieve it if the IRFU wanted to to have a stronger Ireland team not just a strong regional team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Boardmember101

Dowling, Adam Byrne and Brian Byrne. Brian out of contract and Adam cant get a run. Has fallen behind Kelleher, and he isnt getting much game time either.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    ki wrote: »

deegan, doris, and conan

however both deegan and doris have the ability of switch around the back row, generally at 7 and 6 respectively... so both may be happy to vie for those positions as well.

deegan has over 1000 minutes in this truncated season already... doris has over 750... and assuming at least one of conan and doris will be on ireland duty for a lot of coming the seasons, then there has to be a might big cherry for any of them to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Dowling, Adam Byrne and Brian Byrne. Brian out of contract and Adam cant get a run. Has fallen behind Kelleher, and he isnt getting much game time either.

I feel like Adam Byrne could be very good if a coach backed him to play week in, week out. He would also make a good big wing/small wing partnership with Porch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Botha has never really impressed me. Would worry about another potential Copeland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I feel like Adam Byrne could be very good if a coach backed him to play week in, week out. He would also make a good big wing/small wing partnership with Porch.

Excellent aspects to his game but also significant weaknesses which he has never ironed out even when he has had a run in the team. He's still only 25 (about to turn 26) so there's time still but I think Connacht can do better.

I'd be looking at Barry Daly more than Adam Byrne to be honest. Far more rounded player. Equally effective in attack but far more astute defender. Horrendous injury record though which has to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Botha has never really impressed me. Would worry about another potential Copeland.

The phrase flat track bully comes to mind. He's talented, no doubt. But when Munster have come up against better opposition, he has been quite anonymous. There are squad players that have an ability to make a big impact on the game even when playing in a game many would consider to be above their level such as Billy Holland, Duncan Williams, Hanrahan etc. I don't really see Botha as that sort of guy. Once a team meets his brawn with similar aggression, he fades significantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    Neither Botha nor Adam Byrne would improve Connacht significantly. I'd also be surprised if Botha is allowed stay on given he's been capped for SA.

The Friend Zone
    Hadn’t seen any link to Adam Byrne, would be very happy with him coming in leader.

• Advertisement

Hadn’t seen any link to Adam Byrne, would be very happy with him coming in leader.

This thread has turned very grotty all of a sudden......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Steady on.......Have they even been introduced?:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Buer wrote: »
    Excellent aspects to his game but also significant weaknesses which he has never ironed out even when he has had a run in the team. He's still only 25 (about to turn 26) so there's time still but I think Connacht can do better.

I'd be looking at Barry Daly more than Adam Byrne to be honest. Far more rounded player. Equally effective in attack but far more astute defender. Horrendous injury record though which has to be considered.

The main gripe people have with Byrne is defence, he has worked on it and improved. But like a lot of players once he has an issue people seem to concentrate on it

Personally I don't see any major issues and he could be an incredible players for any province. He is more than capable of been a top winger in Pro 14 and in the group stage of Champions Cup, its when he comes up against the top/top teams he can be found out sometimes and still has some issues with defence, but nothing like when he first broke into the team

He was playing well last season and then picked up injury, as mentioned dropped down the ranking and at thsi stage for himself he would be better to move on. If Connacht dont pick him up I would expect a number of English team will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The main gripe people have with Byrne is defence, he has worked on it and improved. But like a lot of players once he has an issue people seem to concentrate on it

Personally I don't see any major issues and he could be an incredible players for any province. He is more than capable of been a top winger in Pro 14 and in the group stage of Champions Cup, its when he comes up against the top/top teams he can be found out sometimes and still has some issues with defence, but nothing like when he first broke into the team

He was playing well last season and then picked up injury, as mentioned dropped down the ranking and at thsi stage for himself he would be better to move on. If Connacht dont pick him up I would expect a number of English team will.

Just about the bolded bit. Connacht have the players for this. But we don't have the big game changers in depth. We need more players especially in the back three and back row that will leave an impact on a game and Byrne as much as he's improved isn't that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Just about the bolded bit. Connacht have the players for this. But we don't have the big game changers in depth. We need more players especially in the back three and back row that will leave an impact on a game and Byrne as much as he's improved isn't that.

Do they?

I would classify Byrne as a quality player who can help get a team out of the group, probably a Qtr but in a semi/final he is just lacking.

I watched Connacht a few times this season, all the games I could in europe and in Pro14, I would have thought the type of Byrne would be a welcome addition, maybe I am wrong?

The Friend Zone
    Just to clarify I meant Byrne coming in for leaders place in the squad hahah

The prospect of carty cross field kicks to Byrne on the wing could be a serious weapon for connachts attack, if Byrne were to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Just to clarify I meant Byrne coming in for leaders place in the squad hahah .

You wrote the truth vey well at 1st place, that's why Leader is flying away :pac:

The Friend Zone
    McAllister Buckley Burke
    Heff delahunt Byrne* Murphy
    Bealham McCoy Kenny Burke/Solonoa *

Thornbury dillane Murray
    Roux Maksymiw Dowling*

Sob masterson gallagher
    Butler Oliver*
    Weise* Boyle mckeon

Marmion blade kerins Reilly
    Carty Fitz dean
    Healy Porch
    Bundee Robb Daly
    Farrell Arnold*
    Byrne* Niyi
    Toh Fitz de buitlear

With academy players pushing :
    Duggan
    DTM
    S masterson
    Sob 3.0
    Sullivan
    Hayes
    McNulty

Would be very happy with that squad, feel it’d be one of the most impress summers of recruitment if it happens

If we picked up all of those it would be unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    McAllister Buckley Burke
    Heff delahunt Byrne* Murphy
    Bealham McCoy Kenny Burke/Solonoa *

Thornbury dillane Murray
    Roux Maksymiw Dowling*

Sob masterson gallagher
    Butler Oliver*
    Weise* Boyle mckeon

Marmion blade kerins Reilly
    Carty Fitz dean
    Healy Porch
    Bundee Robb Daly
    Farrell Arnold*
    Byrne* Niyi
    Toh Fitz de buitlear

With academy players pushing :
    Duggan
    DTM
    S masterson
    Sob 3.0
    Sullivan
    Hayes
    McNulty

Would be very happy with that squad, feel it’d be one of the most impress summers of recruitment if it happens[/

I wouldnt rush recruitment, if this runs on thru next winter, the bigger teams will have to unload lots of expensive players, france, england, leinster, corona will level the budgets .....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement