Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

gally74 wrote: »

I wouldnt rush recruitment, if this runs on thru next winter, the bigger teams will have to unload lots of expensive players, france, england, leinster, corona will level the budgets .....

If Leinster get hit then Connacht will get hit as well.

Don't see how Connacht would be in a position to buy players if Leinster/munster have to release due to budget issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If Leinster get hit then Connacht will get hit as well.

Don't see how Connacht would be in a position to buy players if Leinster/munster have to release due to budget issues?

I would expect Connacht to be hit harder than the likes of Leinster/Munster if there is a serious impact

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    I would expect Connacht to be hit harder than the likes of Leinster/Munster if there is a serious impact

It's all relative.

If everyone gets hit, there are less playing positions available for the same amount of players.

This is a global situation it's not happening in isolation. Bigger clubs reducing their squads makes more players available for the other clubs.

If all clubs are affected financially then the only change is a bigger player pool to compete for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It's all relative.

If everyone gets hit, there are less playing positions available for the same amount of players.

This is a global situation it's not happening in isolation. Bigger clubs reducing their squads makes more players available for the other clubs.

If all clubs are affected financially then the only change is a bigger player pool to compete for.

Surely if everyone is hit financially then Connacht are likely to be as strapped for cash as the clubs releasing the players? It’s hard to know what the outcome will be but I’d suspect smaller squads will be an outcome alright but I don’t really see who can profit without having cash available.
    That said the irfu may help with moving a couple of lower profile players around to help things short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

NIQ's from all regions need to be looked at first, if cuts are coming. Make room for the lower cost academy players to come through.

It will put pressure on Musters 2 new SA signings. If the ink is not dry the contracts they could get pulled.

This situation could be the start of a draft from the academies, with the players going where they are needed rather than progressing to over-stacked teams.

• Advertisement

ki wrote: »
    NIQ's from all regions need to be looked at first, if cuts are coming. Make room for the lower cost academy players to come through.

It will put pressure on Musters 2 new SA signings. If the ink is not dry the contracts they could get pulled.

This situation could be the start of a draft from the academies, with the players going where they are needed rather than progressing to over-stacked teams.

The provinces run their own academy they’re not going to bother properly if the players can be taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

ki wrote: »

Draft system would never work unless the IRFU are going to set up a consolidated academy that's independent from the academies. The whole point of the academies in their current form is for provinces to develop players for their own teams, I can't see any being ok with investing time and money into players to then stick them into a general pool where other provinces can pick and choose from.

That and the fact the financial benefits of the likes of an American sport draft aren't there for players to be keen to move away from their families and friends. It's a whole different ball game getting picked in say the NFL or NHL draft where you're signing for hundreds of thousands a year starting off compared to an academy contract of less than 25k.

Draft system would never work unless the IRFU are going to set up a consolidated academy that's independent from the academies. The whole point of the academies in their current form is for provinces to develop players for their own teams, I can't see any being ok with investing time and money into players to then stick them into a general pool where other provinces can pick and choose from.

That and the fact the financial benefits of the likes of an American sport draft aren't there for players to be keen to move away from their families and friends. It's a whole different ball game getting picked in say the NFL or NHL draft where you're signing for hundreds of thousands a year starting off compared to an academy contract of less than 25k.

Plus it would require some people to move to a different country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    bit sad to see this fella gone, met him a few times in the tent before amd after 2016, he was always a gentleman, had hoped he might settle here, but best of luck to him,

1 foot short in the pro 12 final,

Pulled his hammy going for a try in front of the clan,

Hopefully he will be back at some point to recieve a clap even in a years time at half time,,,

Freak

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/rugby/connachts-mccartney-to-hang-up-boots-992566.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    gally74 wrote: »
    bit sad to see this fella gone, met him a few times in the tent before amd after 2016, he was always a gentleman, had hoped he might settle here, but best of luck to him,

1 foot short in the pro 12 final,

Pulled his hammy going for a try in front of the clan,

Hopefully he will be back at some point to recieve a clap even in a years time at half time,,,

Freak

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/rugby/connachts-mccartney-to-hang-up-boots-992566.html

Very said to see Tom's stay ended like that, as you said hopefully he gets a proper farewell at some stage. He was a great signing.
    News to me but according to that article Eoin McKeon has retired too, he is listed at the bottom, do they mean Eoin Griffin? Even though he wasn't in the squad in 2016 when we wont the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    testtech05 wrote: »
    Very said to see Tom's stay ended like that, as you said hopefully he gets a proper farewell at some stage. He was a great signing.
    News to me but according to that article Eoin McKeon has retired too, he is listed at the bottom, do they mean Eoin Griffin? Even though he wasn't in the squad in 2016 when we wont the league.

Could possibly mean Conor Mckeon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    Well maybe Eoin should retire. The fool is after tweeting about running 6k. Lockdown be damned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

evil_seed wrote: »
    Well maybe Eoin should retire. The fool is after tweeting about running 6k. Lockdown be damned

You can train within 2k of your house. Very easy to get 6k up within that space.

evil_seed wrote: »

That has to be one of the most idiotic things I've seen tweeted in a long while, he even included the map of his run where it shows it was 3k in each direction.

https://twitter.com/eoiny123/status/1247796244014960640?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

It's actually worse than that he lives in Knocknacra, he posted previous runs from his house that showed he was in Knocknacra, so he drove about 2 km to then run 3km :D

That has to be one of the most idiotic things I've seen tweeted in a long while

I take it you haven't seen this so

https://twitter.com/martinbeanz/status/1247584949340975104

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    That has to be one of the most idiotic things I've seen tweeted in a long while, he even included the map of his run where it shows it was 3k in each direction.

https://twitter.com/eoiny123/status/1247796244014960640?s=19

Seems to have been removed again. A friend has told me John Muldoon had a go at him about it in the comments too.

testtech05 wrote: »
    Seems to have been removed again. A friend has told me John Muldoon had a go at him about it in the comments too.

Yeah he's backtracking on it now, definitely not his smartest moment

TX1EZPb_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
    YaPpDES_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
    P8m1Ws0_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Jasper Wiese rumours gaining a bit of traction. Also showed interest in Pokomela apparently.

https://www.ofm.co.za/article/rugby/287061/pokomela-would-welcome-the-cheetahs-captaincy-in-future?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Jasper Wiese rumours gaining a bit of traction. Also showed interest in Pokomela apparently.

https://www.ofm.co.za/article/rugby/287061/pokomela-would-welcome-the-cheetahs-captaincy-in-future?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Cheetahs getting gutted by looks of it

https://twitter.com/DjRossouw87/status/1247818731818029056?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Some academy spots are known
    Sligo tweeted Donnacha Byrne has been added for next season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Burkie1203 wrote: »

He's a hell of a good player, carrier, tackler, 7/8 ; absolutely delighted when confirned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Good piece on Niall Murray here

https://www.the42.ie/niall-murray-connacht-emerging-5070771-Apr2020/

As said... " Murray clearly has the height for the second row but, at just over 100kg, naturally still has plenty of physical development ahead "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    TG4 will be showing the Pro12 final from 2016 on Saturday week the 25th of April!! Wooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

macslash wrote: »
    TG4 will be showing the Pro12 final from 2016 on Saturday week the 25th of April!! Wooooo

Will Connacht still win? :)

The dream of rich clubs in Europe is there.

Connacht out of Champions Cup

As soon as next season

18 clubs instead of 24 5 years ago (and for those scepitical, it's a rumour for now but already in french press)

Maybe we'll be "saved" by "club RWC" in a weakened Euro-Cup this time, but after it's over.

Qualifying is more and more difficult for low-budget clubs, rugby is going like football : closed European games between rich. No surprises, no joy, just short-term views

Well I couldn't have said better

the 18-club format is now contested in France in favor of a good old 24-club-cup (8 from each league)

Toulouse and Clermont are in favor of the later. Hope 20 or 24 choice prevails, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    The dream of rich clubs in Europe is there.

Connacht out of Champions Cup

We live in very strange times. Welcome to Boards.ie Gemma :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

connachta wrote: »
    Well I couldn't have said better

the 18-club format is now contested in France in favor of a good old 24-club-cup (8 from each league)

Toulouse and Clermont are in favor of the later. Hope 20 or 24 choice prevails, of course

Did you respond to your own post?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement