Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

freyners wrote: »
    We've had some strange signings that have worked out really well as well.

Willie Faloon always stands out to me, really not rated in Ulster who had Chris Henry, came down here and had two excellents seasons, immediately resigned with Ulster and I believe very quickly fell out of favour again (although not sure what injuries were like for him)

He was excellent but definitely was hampered by injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

freyners wrote: »
    We've had some strange signings that have worked out really well as well.

Willie Faloon always stands out to me, really not rated in Ulster who had Chris Henry, came down here and had two excellents seasons, immediately resigned with Ulster and I believe very quickly fell out of favour again (although not sure what injuries were like for him)

He’s a very promising coach now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Georgia who lost to Italy the last few times they played?

You stuck the boot into Treviso but Connacht have how many Aussies, kiwis, South Africans etc,

Treviso have 15 players out of a main squad of 43 who are non Italian (including those who are Italian qualified by residency) *

Connacht have 10 out of 41 (including those Irish qualified by residency) *

* wiki page is source. Haven't opened each players Bio so may have missed one along then way

You talk about fairness, now it's about what you deserve. Make up your mind.

10<15, by far. Simple, but not for you...
    Georgia within 3 years with the revenue of 6 Nation/Pro league for a club, would have a very good chance to prove better than Italian
    Comparison have to be all things equals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I'll bite. Back 10 years only.

- Rory Scholes had promise, barely played.
    - Andrew Deegan had one great game against Oyannax, but looked amateur beyond that. Had nightmares against Cardiff, just looked out of his depth, and spent the rest of the season with the A team at 5th or 6th choice for Connacht at 10 by the time he left.
    - Pita Ahki, he was world class, but only turned up once or twice in his Connacht appearances. (Also never won a game in his entire time out west I believe, and they were bad loses. He never really got back in the team after a disasterous performance in a loss to Zebre).
    - Stacey Ili. He scored a hat trick in his first Champions Cup game for Connacht. And another one or two in Europe, then after the November internationals in his first season that was the end of him.
    - Josh Rowland. Came from the Auckland Blues extended squad, I believe he never made an appearance.
    - Harley Fox. Same as above but from Melbourne Rebels.
    - Api Pewhairangi. Rugby League convert. He, himself, talked a big game and of Ireland caps. An injury in pre-season. 3 appearances, left before the end of the year back to league.
    - Mils Muliaina. Meant to have been great in training. But spent more time in Galway city than he probably should have. Hugely disappointing from a legendary player.
    - James So'oialo. Had no interest in being here beyond the pay check. Lived in a hotel, refused gafs. Got home sick, left.
    - Matt Jarvis. Had one or two great days in green including a 60m last minute penalty one time. But he was not the Keatley heir apparent we needed and couldn't get ahead of an out of form Niall O'Connor
    - James Loxton. Like Api, was talked up as the next Carr. Never came close.
    - Henry Fa'aiffli, came with a reputation that made us think he would turn out like Aki did. Wasn't a bad player, but you expected more from an international. Gone in one season.
    - Niall O'Connor. Looked to be ahead of Keatley in the Irish squad and only left Ulster to increase international chances (with Pieenar, Humphreys and Jackson at Ulster). While he had his moments and he was good in defensive. His kicking percentage was very very poor.
    - Barry Fa'amausili. A hugely hyped prop I completely forget about often. Did he even play a game?
    - Ezra Taylor. Was the big signing that summer. Samoan international, super rugby player. Played a game, gave away a reckless yellow and then did in his knee. Came back and was out of shape and unfit, starting only 1 more game. (Supposedly, was dropped over effort). Had his contract cancelled a year later. Joined Worcester and had a bizarrely similar story. Has openly bad mouthed his experience here.
    - Kieran Campbell was over the hill when he got here to some, but he was still only 29, and to be 4th or 5th choice in arguably Connacht's poorest peroid only 2 years after playing for Ireland isn't great. Very lucky we had Frank Murphy.
    - Mike Roberts came with a huge reputation. A Heineken Cup winner. 3 appearances.
    - Thomas Timani. We signed him as Auckland Blues young player of the year. Didn't make one appearance, struggled in AIL.

I'm sure this will start some disagreements.

I'll bite. Back 10 years only.

- Rory Scholes had promise, barely played.
    - Andrew Deegan had one great game against Oyannax, but looked amateur beyond that. Had nightmares against Cardiff, just looked out of his depth, and spent the rest of the season with the A team at 5th or 6th choice for Connacht at 10 by the time he left.
    - Pita Ahki, he was world class, but only turned up once or twice in his Connacht appearances. (Also never won a game in his entire time out west I believe, and they were bad loses. He never really got back in the team after a disasterous performance in a loss to Zebre).
    - Stacey Ili. He scored a hat trick in his first Champions Cup game for Connacht. And another one or two in Europe, then after the November internationals in his first season that was the end of him.
    - Josh Rowland. Came from the Auckland Blues extended squad, I believe he never made an appearance.
    - Harley Fox. Same as above but from Melbourne Rebels.
    - Api Pewhairangi. Rugby League convert. He, himself, talked a big game and of Ireland caps. An injury in pre-season. 3 appearances, left before the end of the year back to league.
    - Mils Muliaina. Meant to have been great in training. But spent more time in Galway city than he probably should have. Hugely disappointing from a legendary player.
    - James So'oialo. Had no interest in being here beyond the pay check. Lived in a hotel, refused gafs. Got home sick, left.
    - Matt Jarvis. Had one or two great days in green including a 60m last minute penalty one time. But he was not the Keatley heir apparent we needed and couldn't get ahead of an out of form Niall O'Connor
    - James Loxton. Like Api, was talked up as the next Carr. Never came close.
    - Henry Fa'aiffli, came with a reputation that made us think he would turn out like Aki did. Wasn't a bad player, but you expected more from an international. Gone in one season.
    - Niall O'Connor. Looked to be ahead of Keatley in the Irish squad and only left Ulster to increase international chances (with Pieenar, Humphreys and Jackson at Ulster). While he had his moments and he was good in defensive. His kicking percentage was very very poor.
    - Barry Fa'amausili. A hugely hyped prop I completely forget about often. Did he even play a game?
    - Ezra Taylor. Was the big signing that summer. Samoan international, super rugby player. Played a game, gave away a reckless yellow and then did in his knee. Came back and was out of shape and unfit, starting only 1 more game. (Supposedly, was dropped over effort). Had his contract cancelled a year later. Joined Worcester and had a bizarrely similar story. Has openly bad mouthed his experience here.
    - Kieran Campbell was over the hill when he got here to some, but he was still only 29, and to be 4th or 5th choice in arguably Connacht's poorest peroid only 2 years after playing for Ireland isn't great. Very lucky we had Frank Murphy.
    - Mike Roberts came with a huge reputation. A Heineken Cup winner. 3 appearances.
    - Thomas Timani. We signed him as Auckland Blues young player of the year. Didn't make one appearance, struggled in AIL.

I'm sure this will start some disagreements.

Is Josh Rowland still around?.

From a google search I cant see anything after his time with us.

I met him not long after he was cut and if memory serves me he was trying to stay on in Galway as he was dating a local girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

From a good search I cant see anything after his time with us.

I met him not long after he was cut and if memory serves me he was trying to stay on in Galway as he was dating a local girl.
    Rowland played AIL with Nenagh in 2A this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me

From a good search I cant see anything after his time with us.

Ya he’s living out in Oranmore. I see him around the place a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I missed Marnitz Boschoff. He was hugely touted. We thought he was going to be like Steyn or Pienaar for us.

We signed, in October '15, AJ McaGinty. But he was nothing special and makes only 3 starts all against minnows in the Challenge Cup as he was 3rd or 4th choice. His deal was short term. So we make the big marque signing of Boschoff, who exploded on the scene for the Baa Baas against England a year or so earlier, in January - announced in March.

End of January it all changes. Ronaldson moves to centre with Henshaw away, and Carty badly injures himself. Out of nowhere, MacGinty starts 8 of the last 9 games of the season and is an 8 out of 10 in most of them and key to the title run in, improving with each game. But the deal for Boschoff is done.

Boschoff is to join in pre-season, but his Currie Cup team progresses to the finals so he stays in South Africa, which was not agreed before hand leaving a sour taste. (Although that is rumour). He arrives in late October, 2 months late.

He is exhausted and in no shape for rugby. He is ready and plays 10-15 minutes in a match a month and a half later. The next week he starts in a drubbing of Treviso, but does in his shoulder. Out for 3 months. In this 3 month period, around January, his father dies. This, being away from family, along with being away from the game and because of this the inability to form bounds with the city, fans and team mates, leads to no gra for life here. He makes two more appearances in May, a start and 2 minutes off the bench against Munster. With Jack Carty cementing his place at 10.

With all of the above he wants to leave and agrees a deal with Blue Bulls. He tells Connacht who agree to cancel his contract.

So my last hope does exist
    No one care about small Connacht, but when it comes to big fishes..
    Clermont and Toulouse will make French league threaten EPRC of a boycott. It could enforce the 24-club solution and save us in the end
    "Historical strategy" Hegel tells us...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

connachta wrote: »
    Clermont and Toulouse will make French league threathen EPRC of a boycott. It could enforce the 24-club solution and save us in the end

Have you tried meditation. It might help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Clermont and Toulouse will make French league threathen EPRC of a boycott. It could enforce the 24-club solution and save us in the end

I read that in a George Hook voice.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me
    Murray Kinsella reporting that Sammy Arnold and Conor Oliver are on the way. I presume Arnold is replacing Godwin. Don’t know anything about Oliver. From what I read in the article it doesn’t sound like he was getting much game time so I hope he isn’t replacing Colby. We need a high profile back-rower from the SH to replace him but maybe that’s been binned with everything going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Mul, it's over
    What’s the ‘Not all Superheroes wear capes...... 13-05-2020’ about on Connacht Rugby’s Twitter?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Can Arnold cover the wing for when Healy gets injured 15 minutes before KO? :pac:

Redo91 wrote: »
    Murray Kinsella reporting that Sammy Arnold and Conor Oliver are on the way. I presume Arnold is replacing Godwin. Don’t know anything about Oliver. From what I read in the article it doesn’t sound like he was getting much game time so I hope he isn’t replacing Colby. We need a high profile back-rower from the SH to replace him but maybe that’s been binned with everything going on!

My hope is that we’ll sign a quality 8, Butler will move back to open side, and Oliver will be his backup, for which he’s definitely good enough if he can stay fit.

Arnold is taking Godwin’s place in the squad yes but Godwin was crucial as a second distributor in the backline which is not something Arnold will provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Oliver is a decent player who couldn't force his way into Leinster reckoning as we had 4 quality opensides ahead of him. Not sure why it didn't quite happen for him at Munster. Started off well but couldn't quite force his way ahead of O'Donnell or Cloete. I think he'd be a decent asset at Pro 14 level at least.

Same with Arnold. Decentish player, but to me he's a crash bang centre. Will run hard and fast to get over the gainline again and again. But don't expect any subtlety to his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    My hope is that we’ll sign a quality 8, Butler will move back to open side, and Oliver will be his backup, for which he’s definitely good enough if he can stay fit.

Arnold is taking Godwin’s place in the squad yes but Godwin was crucial as a second distributor in the backline which is not something Arnold will provide.

Have you heard something concrete on Godwin or is that opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over

Well supposedly Jasper Wiese was very close to if not a done deal but that was before this all kicked off, who knows now. Signings will be very very minimal in the current climate.

Clegg wrote: »
    Oliver is a decent player who couldn't force his way into Leinster reckoning as we had 4 quality opensides ahead of him. Not sure why it didn't quite happen for him at Munster. Started off well but couldn't quite force his way ahead of O'Donnell or Cloete. I think he'd be a decent asset at Pro 14 level at least.

Same with Arnold. Decentish player, but to me he's a crash bang centre. Will run hard and fast to get over the gainline again and again. But don't expect any subtlety to his game.

Everyone would have said something similar about Tom Farrell and Gavin Thornbury when they signed, and now both are pushing for international honours. Never underestimate what consistent game time can do for a player.

macslash wrote: »

No I haven’t heard anything, that was an assumption sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone

After it was announced that godwin had signed he did an interview in Australia before moving over where he said he was planning on doing two years in Europe and hoping to move back a better player and push on for more international caps

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    Clegg wrote: »

After he made an initial great impression his time at Munster was ruined by injuries. That included three months out after he dropped a weight on his toe in the gym. Unfortunately he was snake bitten at Munster.

Imo we won't go much further for signings and have to rely on Academy, good to have both 2 quality newcomers

1) McAllister/Buckley/M.Burke
    2) Heffernan/Delahunt/Martin/Murphy
    3) McCoy/Bealham/Kenny (Salanoa only if there's an injury crisis, as we'll be short for money)
    4) Roux/Dillane/Macksymiw
    5) Thornbury/Murray (Dowling covering)
    6) Boyle/Dowling (E.Masterson rumoured to Scotland, if he stays, no Dowling)
    7) Butler/Oliver
    8) Weise/SOB/McKeon (or S.Masterson)

9) Marmion/Blade/Kerrins (I'd take the risk of 3 senior SH only, Reilly as back-up)
    10) Carty/C.Fitz/Dean
    12) Aki/Robb/Daly
    13) Farrell/Arnold
    11) Porch/Healy/DeBuitlear
    14) S.Fitz/Niyi
    15) TOH/A NEW 15-10, same profile as Carbery/McNulty

22 forwards, 19 backs, including the 5 most advanced Academy players (Tierney-Martin, Murray, Dean, DeBuitlear, McNulty)
    Sounds slim and competitive

• Subscribers Posts: 41,585 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    What’s the ‘Not all Superheroes wear capes...... 13-05-2020’ about on Connacht Rugby’s Twitter?????

#internationalnursesday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    If those are the only signings hard to see it other than as a case of losing ground. Colby has been absolute class, Godwin hasn’t been far off him (in the centre), two of them very rarely injured too.

Don’t know much about Wiese but doesn’t seem to have a massive profile. Oliver and Arnold are decent players but the former in particularly is injury prone and we have enough of that in back row already.

Would be two seasons in a row with no major signings also. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    #internationalnursesday

That's today. The 13th is tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone

Guessing could be a special Jersey like the green lantern one as a fundraiser for the hse maybe?

ClanofLams wrote: »
    If those are the only signings hard to see it other than as a case of losing ground. Colby has been absolute class, Godwin hasn’t been far off him (in the centre), two of them very rarely injured too.

Don’t know much about Wiese but doesn’t seem to have a massive profile. Oliver and Arnold are decent players but the former in particularly is injury prone and we have enough of that in back row already.

Would be two seasons in a row with no major signings also. Disappointing.

Yeah Colby and Kyle had Super Rugby caps, but Arnold/Oliver and Weise are probably those kind of really underated players who could very well be on a par with players with pedigree, and not on same money.
    Would be very very happy to have those 3.

+ Arnold is not a nobody, higher profile than Robb/Farrell//Daly when they came, and it's already gone well for the 3 of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Yeah Colby and Kyle had Super Rugby caps, but Arnold/Oliver and Weise are probably those kind of really underated players who could very well be on a par with players with pedigree, and not on same money.
    Would be very very happy to have those 3.

+ Arnold is not a nobody, higher profile than Robb/Farrell//Daly when they came, and it's already gone well for the 3 of them

There’s no reason any of them mightn’t prove a good signing but it’s expecting a lot for all of them to be.

Losing high quality starters who are rarely injured, bringing in three players with potential, two of whom are very injury prone at a young age, that doesn’t tend to change much generally speaking eg Paddy McAllister, Jake Heenan etc. Bit harsh to say but if you’re injury prone in early 20s, unlikely you won’t continue to be.

Would be fine with Wiese for Copeland who hasn’t had much impact in any case. The other two signings for Fainga’a and Godwin make it a poor recruitment phase, if it is completed now.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,585 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    That's today. The 13th is tomorrow

I'm just throwing that out as a suggestion to the question asked.

What do you think it is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement