Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    I'm just throwing that out as a suggestion to the question asked.

What do you think it is

I've no idea. There were two superhero emoji's in the tweet. Maybe the two lads from Munster might get announced? Or two other lads? 🀷ðŸ¼*♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    While Colby has been probably connachts best player since joining and Weise more than likely won’t have the same individual impact, weise seems to be the big ball carrying 8 that we’ve been crying out for. He might never reach Colby’s individual level of performance but could bring a balance to the pack that has a bigger influence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Wegians89 wrote: »
    While Colby has been probably connachts best player since joining and Weise more than likely won’t have the same individual impact, weise seems to be the big ball carrying 8 that we’ve been crying out for. He might never reach Colby’s individual level of performance but could bring a balance to the pack that has a bigger influence

And TBH having 3 24 y.o prepares the future.

Weise looks great on the 2 games I've found. He may be the best 8 since Muldoon. I'm really optimistic about him.
    Butler would be even better as 7. Oliver will then be a luxury back-up.

And Arnold just need gametime and experience on his defence. Just like T.Farrell 3 years ago. Il will bodes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Another thing to consider is that the extended rest period will enable players to get elective surgeries they may have been putting off and rehab injuries they may have been ignoring. A fully fit Sean O’Brien would be as good as a new signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

no players are getting elective surgeries during this break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Guessing could be a special Jersey like the green lantern one as a fundraiser for the hse maybe?

We have a winner. Limeted edition jersey launched in aid of Alone, Galway hospice and Mayo Roscommon hospice

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1260540565743173634

no players are getting elective surgeries during this break.

Really? A friend of mine who plays professionally, albeit not in Ireland, went and got surgery pretty much immediately after rugby was cancelled. Reckons the break will definitely prolong his career.

Anyway, I think the point still stands more broadly. Players who have been struggling with injury now have a chance to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over

That would be some signing, looks like he’s under contract until 2022 though..

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,585 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    A 22 year old 3 capped all black at the beginning of his career??

I can't see any reason for him to move to connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Where are these rumours?

Not in the article anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Ball hop I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Clegg wrote: »
    Oliver is a decent player who couldn't force his way into Leinster reckoning as we had 4 quality opensides ahead of him. Not sure why it didn't quite happen for him at Munster. Started off well but couldn't quite force his way ahead of O'Donnell or Cloete. I think he'd be a decent asset at Pro 14 level at least.

Same with Arnold. Decentish player, but to me he's a crash bang centre. Will run hard and fast to get over the gainline again and again. But don't expect any subtlety to his game.

Oliver got plenty of gametime under Erasmus but Van Graan didn't fancy him much and went for bulk at end of season when Erasmus left, playing Copeland and Grobler in back 5 even though they were leaving.

Cloete and Botha were generally preferred even when he was available but Van Graan does like the bulk. Oliver will be perfect in Galway. He's an out and out openside and with Connacht playing with width and fast open game he'll be everywhere. Great to see a young Irish guy get another chance the South Africaning of Munster by VdG has not worked IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

Jack Aungier joining from Leinster! Great signing!

https://www.the42.ie/jack-aungier-leinster-connacht-5098637-May2020/

The Friend Zone
    lenny4545 wrote: »
    Jack Aungier joining from Leinster! Great signing!

https://www.the42.ie/jack-aungier-leinster-connacht-5098637-May2020/

Seems like Connacht are getting the younger but more developed player. Happy with that. Wonder will burke be kept on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

If I was Connacht i'd be happier seeing Aungier come through the door than Salanoa

Seems like Connacht are getting the younger but more developed player. Happy with that. Wonder will burke be kept on

100% no

Bealham/McCoy/Kenny having proved in front of R.Burke in the picking order
    + Jack now, + 3 LH

We have our 7 props
    If we consider Arnold+Weise+Oliver done deal (and 1 of Masterson/Dowling covering 5 and 6)

We need 1 last signing : a 10/15 à la Carbery to cover both position for Godwin and Leader departure

1 guy for 2 roles as 3rd choice only will be enough, as we have

Carty/C.Fitzgerald (+Dean) for 10
    TOH/S.Fiitzgerald (+McNulty) for 15

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    I wouldn’t mind a winger coming in tbh. If connachtas wish were to come true, think frawley would be an ideal signing

Mul, it's over
    Is Goddard sticking about I wonder??

macslash wrote: »
    Is Goddard sticking about I wonder??

If so, you're right he may be the man for 3rd choice 15 competing with McNulty, and 3rd choice 10 competing with Dean

We shouldn't spend more money there, and raise 2 talents fighting for the occasional spot in the main team

Position |1st |2nd|3rd| 4th
    LH Prop|Buckley|McAllister|M.Burke|(Bealham)
    Hooker|Heffernan|Delahunt|Tierney-Martin|Murphy
    TH Prop|Bealham|McCoy|Aungier|Kenny
    n°4 2nd Row|Dillane|Roux|Macksymiw| (Thornbury)
    n°5 2nd Row|Thornbury|Murray|Gallagher or SOB|(Dowling or E.Masterson)|
    Blindside Flanker|Boyle|Gallagher or McKeon|Dowling or E.Masterson|
    Openside Flanker|Bultler|Oliver|Boyle
    n°8 | Weise|SOB|McKeon/Boyle|S.Masterson
    SH | Marmion | Blade | Kerrins | (Reilly)
    OH |Carty|Fitzgerald|Dean|(Goddard/an.other)
    11 | Healy | Porsh | De Buitlear | (McNulty)
    Inside Centre|Aki|Robb|Daly|(Arnold)
    Outside Centre|Farrell|Arnold|SOB 2.0|(Aki)
    14 | S.Fitzgerald | Niyi | Porch | (Sullivan/Farrell)
    15 |TOH|S.Fitz|McNulty|(Goddard/an.other)|

It's true we rely a bit on Academy for back-3 there, but if we're short on money, i'd prefer we sign Weise the big ball carrier we desperately need, and trust the young backs.

I'm not aware about McKeon and Gallagher situation, I suspect one of them will be released, that's why they are never listed as a lonely option in the table...

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    Position |1st |2nd|3rd| 4th
    LH Prop|Buckley|McAllister|M.Burke|(Bealham)
    Hooker|Heffernan|Delahunt|Tierney-Martin|Murphy
    TH Prop|Bealham|McCoy|Aungier|Kenny
    n°4 2nd Row|Dillane|Roux|Macksymiw| (Thornbury)
    n°5 2nd Row|Thornbury|Murray|Gallagher or SOB|(Dowling or E.Masterson)|
    Blindside Flanker|Boyle|Gallagher or McKeon|Dowling or E.Masterson|
    Openside Flanker|Bultler|Oliver|Boyle
    n°8 | Weise|SOB|McKeon/Boyle|S.Masterson
    SH | Marmion | Blade | Kerrins | (Reilly)
    OH |Carty|Fitzgerald|Dean|(Goddard/an.other)
    11 | Healy | Porsh | De Buitlear | (McNulty)
    Inside Centre|Aki|Robb|Daly|(Arnold)
    Outside Centre|Farrell|Arnold|SOB 2.0|(Aki)
    14 | S.Fitzgerald | Niyi | Porch | (Sullivan/Farrell)
    15 |TOH|S.Fitz|McNulty|(Goddard/an.other)|

It's true we rely a bit on Academy for back-3 there, but if we're short on money, i'd prefer we sign Weise the big ball carrier we desperately need, and trust the young backs.

I'm not aware about McKeon and Gallagher situation, I suspect one of them will be released, that's why they are never listed as a lonely option in the table...

Looking at that table and assuming aungier, dowling, Weise, Arnold and over are all signing, there seems a desperate need for a back three player. If Connacht could steal either frawley (have him as a 15 mainly) or Adam Byrne I think that’d be a very strong/balanced squad

Mul, it's over
    I don't see the point in putting lads in or leaving lads out until they are announced. You had Salanoa in for ages like. Cool the jets on anyone not announced.

macslash wrote: »
    I don't see the point in putting lads in or leaving lads out until they are announced. You had Salanoa in for ages like. Cool the jets on anyone not announced.

A TH was announced and there is one coming.

the squad will look like my table, the slim differences in the end do not change its interest : seeing the global balance of our team
    For example we rely on Academy for now in back-3

connachta wrote: »
    A TH was announced and there is one coming.

the squad will look like my table, the slim differences in the end do not change its interest : seeing the global balance of our team
    For example we rely on Academy for now in back-3

Nothing has been announced, one has been rumoured by the42 who had previously been rumouring Salanoa to come here.

The Friend Zone
    b.gud wrote: »
    Nothing has been announced, one has been rumoured by the42 who had previously been rumouring Salanoa to come here.

Personally think there’s a huge difference, Salanoa to Connacht was reported by Rte first if I remember correctly. The Arnold, Oliver and Aungier articles are all from Murray Kinsella. While nothing is official yet and I know people will be skeptical, personally think Murray is as close to an official announcement with out the real thing.

The original salanoa rumour, was actually the independent, even less reliable source than rte.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/connacht-interested-in-leinsters-hawaiian-prospect-salanoa-as-eastern-province-braced-for-interprovincial-raids-38856601.html

• Advertisement

Personally think there’s a huge difference, Salanoa to Connacht was reported by Rte first if I remember correctly. The Arnold, Oliver and Aungier articles are all from Murray Kinsella. While nothing is official yet and I know people will be skeptical, personally think Murray is as close to an official announcement with out the real thing.

The original salanoa rumour, was actually the independent, even less reliable source than rte.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/connacht-interested-in-leinsters-hawaiian-prospect-salanoa-as-eastern-province-braced-for-interprovincial-raids-38856601.html

Yeah this is a good point Murray is one of the few journalists I would actually listen to when it comes to transfer rumours. I was more making the point that this is still a rumour and nothing should be taken as fact until the announcements actually happen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement