Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    All I was saying above is I don't see the point in including lads who have not been officially announced, while also cutting lads who we don't actually know are leaving. They could be staying for all we know.

Was there any more substance to the Dowling link or was it just boards talk?

And for what it's worth if Murray says something will happen then it most likely will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    b.gud wrote: »
    Yeah this is a good point Murray is one of the few journalists I would actually listen to when it comes to transfer rumours. I was more making the point that this is still a rumour and nothing should be taken as fact until the announcements actually happen

I get that point but I also like getting a bit giddy over potential line is for next season. Especially with no live sort on, I’ve rewatched the Connacht-cheetahs and Munster Toulon matches recently watching out for Weise and Arnold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me
    Really hope we have a big ball carrying back-row on the way. Crying out for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Redo91 wrote: »
    Really hope we have a big ball carrying back-row on the way. Crying out for one.

If you watched Connacht-Cheetahs yesterday, you'd see Weise has to be confirmed, fingers crossed.

He is, on a different profile, the same as Fainga'a. Below international standrard, but the closest you can expect on reasonable money.
    Good carrier, good tackler, no apparent weaknesses (maybe slight work to do on handling, but with Friends, 7's coach, no worry)

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    If you watched Connacht-Cheetahs yesterday, you'd see Weise has to be confirmed, fingers crossed.

He is, on a different profile, the same as Fainga'a. Below international standrard, but the closest you can expect on reasonable money.
    Good carrier, good tackler, no apparent weaknesses (maybe slight work to do on handling, but with Friends, 7's coach, no worry)

Have heard Discipline would be a weakness for him. Watched the highlights of the cheetahs win over Munster and Weise seemed to be fairly involved even though he was a sub

• Advertisement

Same as Roux then, Big Saffers conceed pens... We still need one of them on every teamsheet to muscle our pack. Maybe not both to limit the penalties count, one or the other, mixing with Thornbury/SOB etc

I was wondering, as Aungier is encouraged to move west by IRFU, is it a good sign for Bealham?

No, because he may have to bench if Jack proves better.
    BUT yes, because it may indicate Farrell has plan to involve Bealham in the Irish squad often, so Connacht are allowed another good cover there...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Same as Roux then, Big Saffers conceed pens... We still need one of them on every teamsheet to muscle our pack. Maybe not both to limit the penalties count, one or the other, mixing with Thornbury/SOB etc

Not sure SOB would be any better, the grit he's had from a very young age is one of his best qualities but I think I've seen him end up penalised for it at least once a game.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Not sure SOB would be any better, the grit he's had from a very young age is one of his best qualities but I think I've seen him end up penalised for it at least once a game.

10/12 pens per games is a normal target, backs are less blown, so each forward is "allowed" to conceed 1...
    Roux tends to be on 2 or 3...

They complain about players move like Aungier, don't want us to qualify for Champions Cup
    Let's piss the moaning Dubliners off

Connacht stolen team with the help of IRFU, when somewhere else had invested to raise the guys

1) McAllister (ex Ulster)
    2) Murphy (ex Ulster)
    3) Aungier (ex Leinster)
    4) Roux (ex Leinster)
    5) Thornbury (ex Leinster)
    6) Dowling -rumour- (ex Leinster)
    7) Oliver (ex-Munster)
    8) Boyle (ex Leinster)
    9) Marmion (Exiles IRFU program)
    10) C.Fitzgerald (ex-Munster)
    11) Healy (ex-Leinster)
    12) Robb + Daly (ex-Leinster)
    13) Arnold (ex-Munster)
    14) Farrell (ex-Leinster)
    15) S.Fitzgerald (ex-Munster)

Haters will be up to the next level, so much fun :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

kWJYW8T.png

Buer wrote: »
    kWJYW8T.png

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

Connacht rumoured to be signing Alex wootton from Munster! Would be good signing! Only 25 and can cover backfield!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    lenny4545 wrote: »
    Connacht rumoured to be signing Alex wootton from Munster! Would be good signing! Only 25 and can cover backfield!

He's under contract for next season at Munster. That wouldn't stop a move, Bill Johnston moved to Ulster despite having a year left, but I'd be surprised if Munster let him walk.

Edit: I see Limerick Leader is reporting the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Dowling, Aungier, Oliver and Arnold all confirmed, all 2 year deals bar Oliver, which isnt stated but you'd expect is 1 year then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

freyners wrote: »
    Dowling, Aungier, Oliver and Arnold all confirmed, all 2 year deals bar Oliver, which isnt stated but you'd expect is 1 year then
    On the Connacht website now here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Glad to see Dowling get a move. I don't think he was going to feature much for Leinster. His role is nailed down by Josh Murphy and Soroka is potentially going to be a very similar player too with significant hype around him before we even look at the likes of Baird who clearly has talent in spades.

He's a decent player but had limited opportunities. He did make an impact when he came on the field though. Potentially going to play more in the back row than second row.

The Friend Zone
    lenny4545 wrote: »

Oh that’d be an interesting move, wasn’t he in the same u20 squad as Oliver, Arnold and Stephan Fitz?

freyners wrote: »

tumblr_p3e04dTnw61w8f7y5o1_500.gifv

" Oliver and Arnold both featured for Ireland in the 2015 World Rugby U20 Championship, who were then coached by current Connacht Attack Coach Nigel Carolan."

Maybe it helped :)

• Advertisement

[HTML][/HTML]
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Oh that’d be an interesting move, wasn’t he in the same u20 squad as Oliver, Arnold and Stephan Fitz?

The guy has decent footsteps !!!

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/alex-wootton-try-363579

Still the thing is we're short for 10, as he'll replace Leader but not Godwin cover there..

We're at risk having only 3 n°10, even if Dean is highly enough rated to play much more this season...
    Maybe Daly to be the cover... "When I started I was an out-half, as I had quite good hands, but when I went to Leinster they converted me into a centre because of my size."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Underwhelming signings. Could struggle next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Underwhelming signings. Could struggle next season.

If a decent 8 is signed I'd be happy enough in the current climate.

FACECUTTR wrote: »

100% agree. Need Weise

Mul, it's over
    FACECUTTR wrote: »

Hopefully they work out. Just don’t see any there you would be expecting an immediate impact from. Adding depth alright.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Hopefully they work out. Just don’t see any there you would be expecting an immediate impact from. Adding depth alright.

Arnold is an international player. IMO he's straight into the 23!

We could have him, Aki and Farrell on the same teamsheet as the later covers wing.

12 Aki
    13 Farrell
    23 Arnold (Farrell moving on the wing if needed to sub one)
    22 C.Fitz (covering 10 and FB!)

macslash wrote: »
    I don't see the point in putting lads in or leaving lads out until they are announced. You had Salanoa in for ages like. Cool the jets on anyone not announced.

Not that's confimed, my table was ok, lets look at it again

Only unofficial are Weise/Wootton..

Position |1st |2nd|3rd| 4th
    LH Prop|Buckley|McAllister|M.Burke|Bealham
    Hooker|Heffernan|Delahunt|Tierney-Martin|Murphy
    TH Prop|Bealham|McCoy|Aungier|Kenny
    n°4 2nd Row|Dillane|Roux|Macksymiw| Thornbury
    n°5 2nd Row|Thornbury|Murray|Gallagher or SOB|Dowling|
    Blindside Flanker|Boyle|Gallagher or McKeon|Dowling| SOB
    Openside Flanker|Bultler|Oliver|Boyle
    n°8 | Weise|SOB|McKeon/Boyle|(S.Masterson)
    SH | Marmion | Blade | Kerrins | (Reilly)
    OH |Carty|Fitzgerald|Dean|(Daly/Goddard)
    11 | Healy | Porsh | Wootton| (McNulty/De Buitlear)
    Inside Centre|Aki|Robb|Daly|Arnold
    Outside Centre|Farrell|Arnold|Aki|(SOB 2.0)
    14 | S.Fitzgerald | Niyi | Porch | (Sullivan/Farrell)
    15 |TOH|S.Fitz|Wootton|(McNulty)|

Mul, it's over
    Arnold is an international player. IMO he's straight into the 23!

We could have him, Aki and Farrell on the same teamsheet as the later covers wing.

12 Aki
    13 Farrell
    23 Arnold (Farrell moving on the wing if needed to sub one)
    22 C.Fitz (covering 10 and FB!)

Arnold wouldn’t make 23 for me. I’m not sure he’ll be ahead of Peter Robb either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Position |1st |2nd|3rd| 4th
    LH Prop|Buckley|McAllister|M.Burke|(Bealham)
    Hooker|Heffernan|Delahunt|Tierney-Martin|Murphy
    TH Prop|Bealham|McCoy|Aungier|Kenny
    n°4 2nd Row|Dillane|Roux|Macksymiw| (Thornbury)
    n°5 2nd Row|Thornbury|Murray|Gallagher or SOB|(Dowling or E.Masterson)|
    Blindside Flanker|Boyle|Gallagher or McKeon|Dowling or E.Masterson|
    Openside Flanker|Bultler|Oliver|Boyle
    n°8 | Weise|SOB|McKeon/Boyle|S.Masterson
    SH | Marmion | Blade | Kerrins | (Reilly)
    OH |Carty|Fitzgerald|Dean|(Daly/Goddard)
    11 | Healy | Porsh | De Buitlear | (McNulty)
    Inside Centre|Aki|Robb|Daly|(Arnold)
    Outside Centre|Farrell|Arnold|SOB 2.0|(Aki)
    14 | S.Fitzgerald | Niyi | Porch | (Sullivan/Farrell)
    15 |TOH|S.Fitz|McNulty|Wootton|

Is Copeland gone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement