Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Joe heading to Dragons according to the Pro 14 website rumour mill

https://www.pro14.rugby/latest/media-watch/maksymiw-on-the-move-davies-first-coaching-job-and-cooneys-mental-strength

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I take it the Dowling signing was to cover this. Makes us very light in the back row. Could see a couple more transfer from the other provinces yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    I take it the Dowling signing was to cover this. Makes us very light in the back row. Could see a couple more transfer from the other provinces yet.

Dowling covers blindside mainly
    Forgot about him in the table above, it's fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Can’t see Connacht signing a niq lock Or ten tbh. At lock you’ve three strong options in roux, dillane abd thornbury so a starting caliber player wouldn’t be signed there, same at ten with carty and Fitz.

Dont think we’ll see any niq apart from Weise tbh but if you had to I’d say a flanker or back three player would be most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    I'd be worried about 2nd row if we don't get someone in. Is there anyone in the academy after Murray?

• Advertisement

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Can’t see Connacht signing a niq lock Or ten tbh. At lock you’ve three strong options in roux, dillane abd thornbury so a starting caliber player wouldn’t be signed there, same at ten with carty and Fitz.

Dont think we’ll see any niq apart from Weise tbh but if you had to I’d say a flanker or back three player would be most likely

For once I disagree with you.

Roux and Thornbury are injury-prone, and you have to get 3 locks on a teamsheet.
    The new signing has 15 games-a-season granted, and probably half of these starting.
    Look at Maksymiw or Gallagher the season before.

On the contrary with Dowling and both Mastersons, we're ok for back-row. It just because we tend to forget about SOB. We're more than ok (with Wiese), bad luck has to end for Sean, look at Heenan, he played a full-season with Bristol

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Mul, it's over
    #ShoulderToShoulder

IRFU ‘Return to Train & Play’ proposals have been submitted to Government and, based on this phased roadmap, the 22nd/23rd August has been set for the targeted resumption of #GuinnessPRO14 derby fixtures involving the 4 provinces.

https://t.co/Uv8BuZb2dT

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »

Lucas looks like hewould be a great signing-can play 15 & 10

****, we're screwed, so much...
    Hope the Gvt says NO, or better, the Italian or British Gvts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

macslash wrote: »
    I'd be worried about 2nd row if we don't get someone in. Is there anyone in the academy after Murray?

Currently no, someone posted a few pages back that we're after Cian Prendergast, would be a good signing. Niall's brother Darragh will likely join straight from school, not sure if he's 5th or 6th year atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    In the announcement of the dowling signing it’s stated that he’s a lock. I highly doubt there’ll be another signing there. Similarly I feel they see gallagher as a lock who can play 6. That would leave you with three established players who should be pushing for Irish squad places in Thornbury, Dillane and Roux, and three rookies with potential in Murray, Gallagher and dowling. Rightly or wrongly I doubt that’ll be added to.

Back row then will have some issues, you have:
    6. Sob, masterson
    7. Faingaa, Oliver, masterson jnr
    8. Weise(assuming), Boyle

I think you’d need an extra body in there to cover 6/8. You could stick gallagher in as an option at 6 and bring in an extra body at lock but can’t see that being an expensive player.

Given the corona virus situation I highly doubt there is the money available to splash. I’d expect more moving between provinces tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me

Why are we screwed?

Redo91 wrote: »
    Why are we screwed?

Connacht play Irish provinces, when Treviso plays Zebre again and again.
    Hope derbies won't count, if they do and rules are unfairly extended to 8th place for Europe :

Dragons qualified, with 60% of Connacht points
    Treviso qualified, with 50% of their points offered by Zebre
    Connacht totally screwed..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Hope derbies won't count, if they do and rules are unfairly extended to 8th place for Europe :

To be fair with all that’s happening in the world I think we ll cope with missing out on champions cup for one year of it comes to that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone

Oh would you ever cease the dramatics

There's a global pandemic and your talking about fairness in a rugby league.

And even if you can't process that. Show a bit of faith in the team you support rather than taking every opportunity to run them down with crap like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone

Surprised if we are the ones letting him go. Good player and had been improving similar to the way DRM has been over the last two seasons

freyners wrote: »
    Oh would you ever cease the dramatics

There's a global pandemic and your talking about fairness in a rugby league.

And even if you can't process that. Show a bit of faith in the team you support rather than taking every opportunity to run them down with crap like this.

you're ****ing kidding you will never ever accept such a shame applied to your own province and have a bit of sense of justice.
    What I said above is not dramatics, just FACTS, pure shameful facts.

In the announcement of the dowling signing it’s stated that he’s a lock. I highly doubt there’ll be another signing there. Similarly I feel they see gallagher as a lock who can play 6. That would leave you with three established players who should be pushing for Irish squad places in Thornbury, Dillane and Roux, and three rookies with potential in Murray, Gallagher and dowling. Rightly or wrongly I doubt that’ll be added to.

6. Sob, masterson

I think you’d need an extra body in there to cover 6/8. You could stick gallagher in as an option at 6 and bring in an extra body at lock but can’t see that being an expensive player.

Given the corona virus situation I highly doubt there is the money available to splash. I’d expect more moving between provinces tbh

Dowling won't be a high standard lock, he's 105 kg
    I asked the question on Leinster thread last week, they say he's a 6 covering 5

Gallagher is 112 kg at the same age, he may be kept in 2nd row..

For me we have

6. Boyle, Dowling, e.masterson
    7. Butler, Oliver, Boyle
    8. Weise(assuming), SOB, masterson jnr

Which is enough

for 2nd Row

4 Roux, Thornbury ????

5 Dillane, Murray, Gallagher

Need a big 4

Your analysis about budget might not be that clear. Southern players might be threatened about bigger paycuts than in Ireland, even not renewed at all.
    Connacht might have for once a slight "comparative advantage" and signing NIQs may be great opportunities rather than even more interpro moves. We have 3/4 NIQ spots to fill, I except Wiese, a n°4, a 10, and maybe the young Aussie FB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

6. Sob, masterson

Sean Masterson is more of a 6/8 than a 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    you're ****ing kidding you will never ever accept such a shame applied to your own province and have a bit of sense of justice.
    What I said above is not dramatics, just FACTS, pure shameful facts.

FACT. 1500 ppl have died in ireland from covid19 including parents of close friends of mine. Friends i havent been able to see since then. Some of whom had to say goodbye to their parents on a fcuking ipad

FACT. Hundreds of thousands of people lost their jobs and quite a few of them indefinitely.

FACT. If the govt say No, the IRFU could venture in to financial difficulty. Thats not good for the future of Irish Rugby. Which province do you think should be cut to save money? Because your petty childish crap really doesn't belong in the real world. Grow up FFS.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    FACT. 1500 ppl have died in ireland from covid19 including parents of close friends of mine. Friends i havent been able to see since then. Some of whom had to say goodbye to their parents on a fcuking ipad

FACT. Hundreds of thousands of people lost their jobs and quite a few of them indefinitely.

FACT. If the govt say No, the IRFU could venture in to financial difficulty. Thats not good for the future of Irish Rugby. Which province do you think should be cut to save money? Because your petty childish crap really doesn't belong in the real world. Grow up FFS.

Just go back to the 80's Thatcher Gov, your bloody stupid point basically is (if we can call this a point) "you're ill-treated shut your ****ing mouth or you'd be even poorer"
    I don't know if you've grown, but certainly not the right way.
    Mods won't let your insistant insults go further, neither my answers, so I stop it right now, about you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Just go back to the 80's Thatcher Gov, your bloody stupid point basically is (if we can call this a point) "you're ill-treated shut your ****ing mouth or you'd be even poorer"
    Mods won't let your insistant insults go further, neither my answers, so I stop it right now, about you

nobody is being ill treated in the rugby world by the proposed fixture list apart from maybe a lack of consideration from player welfare if they try and push ahead with the crazy schedule mooted in the newspapers.

Unions and clubs are trying to figure a way of getting back to playing rugby in a much changed world where international travel is going to be extremely tricky and thats a major issue for the Irish provinces and the IRFU given both competitions the provinces play in are cross border and the finances from the national team are heavily dependent on internationals.

I havent insulted you. I have called your posting about rugby fixtures being unfair in the current climate as childish and petty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over

Your posts are generally an embarrassment to Connacht supporters but the last couple are something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I stand firmly with connachta on Thatcher being an evil witch and also that an NIQ outhalf would be solid business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Connachta stop this line of chat it isn't a grand conspiracy against Connacht & Burkie don't reply going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Connacht should have got more points....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

You are just whining because Connacht aren't as good as they need to be. It is really tedious and frankly pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    jacothelad wrote: »
    You are just whining because Connacht aren't as good as they need to be. It is really tedious and frankly pathetic.

About as helpful as the other ****e jaco, Connacht are in a qualifying position as it stands.

• Advertisement

I'm not talking to Burkie

the others, I just can't believe you can't see the problem, you're biased or blind there?

Never ever in ANY regular championship a team takes a qualifying spot by facing weaker opposition again and again, as much as "that" would be

that's obvious, and terrible. Try to reconsider

No need to add more, now just hope the season finishes on regular basis and the new one starts in December (IRB project to adjust Southern and Northern hemispheres)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement