Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

What's the latest on the Sportsground redevelopment? I know the Government had committed 20m but looked like it was 30m in total - can Connacht continue to finance that I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    cson wrote: »
    What's the latest on the Sportsground redevelopment? I know the Government had committed 20m but looked like it was 30m in total - can Connacht continue to finance that I wonder?

So the government 20 should still be there as it was allocated money, the other 10 was all private investment and no IRFU help so hopefully those contracts are solid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    So the government 20 should still be there as it was allocated money, the other 10 was all private investment and no IRFU help so hopefully those contracts are solid

I'd be very surprised and pretty pissed off if that grant goes ahead. Ditto the funding for RDS. All bets have to be off.

The Friend Zone
    I'd be very surprised and pretty pissed off if that grant goes ahead. Ditto the funding for RDS. All bets have to be off.

It's already budgeted. It'd need a supplementary budget to go back on all those agreements as it stands now. So if Connacht had the facility to draw down that money day 1 it's now in a connacht bank account ready to be used. If it was work/progress dependant it will be there still in the pot for sports waiting to be used.

Even if the emergency funding we're going through is being funded through using up those funds, government borrowing money and spending it on capital investment projects is a good way to get some people and industries working in a way that drip feeds into the larger economy

So if Connacht had the facility to draw down that money day 1 it's now in a connacht bank account ready to be used.

I guess there's two questions here.

1. My experience is that the time between a politician announcing funding and the cheque actually hitting the mat is usually significant.

2. Any grant is contingent on Connacht making up the balance. That's 20 million that is surely going to be difficult and very unwise to raise.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone

1. My experience is that the time between a politician announcing funding and the cheque actually hitting the mat is usually significant.

2. Any grant is contingent on Connacht making up the balance. That's 20 million that is surely going to be difficult and very unwise to raise.

Connacht had the 10 mil balance already. Now whats the strength of those contracts is a different story.

But the government money was to round out the fund to 30 million Which was the cost given by Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

should we just burn down the ground to feck sell the remains
    life needs to go on

Connacht had the 10 mil balance already. Now whats the strength of those contracts is a different story.

But the government money was to round out the fund to 30 million Which was the cost given by Connacht

Wasn't the bulk of that 10 million to be borrowed though?

Even if the government money is still on the table, Connacht would be crazy to be drawing down that kind of borrowing with no real idea of how they'd be able to repay it.

But I just can't believe that, having gone from a marginal surplus to catastrophic deficit, the government won't be rowing back on all sorts of non-essential funding. I really, really hope they do. Rebuilding the Sportgrounds and RDS would be a crazy use of public funding.

The Friend Zone
    Wasn't the bulk of that 10 million to be borrowed though?

Even if the government money is still on the table, Connacht would be crazy to be drawing down that kind of borrowing with no real idea of how they'd be able to repay it.

But I just can't believe that, having gone from a marginal surplus to catastrophic deficit, the government won't be rowing back on all sorts of non-essential funding. I really, really hope they do.

It was a mixture private investment and loans. (Loans will possibly have favourable interest rates for the next couple of years I'd say)

I don't doubt they will row back in stuff but the need a budget and a government to do it. If Connacht can get the work underway before that happens it's too late for a government in that sense. The RDS is still going through planning so might not go ahead for some years to come where Connacht were ready to go this summer if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It was a mixture private investment and loans. (Loans will possibly have favourable interest rates for the next couple of years I'd say)

I don't doubt they will row back in stuff but the need a budget and a government to do it. If Connacht can get the work underway before that happens it's too late for a government in that sense. The RDS is still going through planning so might not go ahead for some years to come where Connacht were ready to go this summer if I remember correctly.

Wasn't it a grant as opposed to being part of the overall budget though? There was a 77m budget given for sports infrastructure grants and then the grants were handed out outside of the budget. I'm not sure if grant funding would require a budget change, but could be wrong

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    Wasn't it a grant as opposed to being part of the overall budget though? There was a 77m budget given for sports infrastructure grants and then the grants were handed out outside of the budget. I'm not sure if grant funding would require a budget change, but could be wrong

The breakdown was after a quick Google
    10 mil Connacht raised
    10 mil The large sport infrastructure grant
    10 mil from the project Ireland plan 2040

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The breakdown was after a quick Google
    10 mil Connacht raised
    10 mil The large sport infrastructure grant
    10 mil from the project Ireland plan 2040

That 10 from Connacht is that sponsorship etc? I’d say if it is that might be difficult to actually get as companies are going to likely be looking for savings.

The Friend Zone
    salmocab wrote: »
    That 10 from Connacht is that sponsorship etc? I’d say if it is that might be difficult to actually get as companies are going to likely be looking for savings.

A mixture of private investment and loans I'm assuming. All that depends on the contracts signed and goodwill between the parties

I dunno. I think they'd be crazy to draw down the money knowing that season tickets and gate receipts for 20/21 are likely to be zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    I dunno. I think they'd be crazy to draw down the money knowing that season tickets and gate receipts for 20/21 are likely to be zero.

The first stages are to change the pitch and build the training centre. They can start on those and if need be change plans for stands etc that will be built in future stages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Craggy rugby guys reckon the Wiese deal isn't happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over

I reckon Munster wouldn't have been let sign the two Boks if the corona virus had hit a bit earlier. Think there is going to be a bit of a halt on overseas signings for the next 3 or 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Disappointing but totally understandable the way things are. I suppose Conan will do 😂😂

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Disappointing but totally understandable the way things are. I suppose Conan will do ����

Yeah absolutely understandable, but we're looking very light in the back row with only 5 players if McKeon leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Yeah absolutely understandable, but we're looking very light in the back row with only 5 players if McKeon leaves.

Was about to post something very similar, hugely disappointing as I thought he would be exactly what we have been crying out for for some time but understandable with all that's going on, we will be looking hugely under-powered and under resourced in the back row now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

why aren't we allowed to sign NIQ?
    Just because of the quaranteen?

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    why aren't we allowed to sign NIQ?
    Just because of the quaranteen?

Money

IRFU looking at losing 15-20m this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Money

IRFU looking at losing 15-20m this year

NIQ are signed everywhere in Europe,

When clubs in the northern hemisphere are impacted 10-20 % of their budget, it's 50% in the South.

Aussie and SA players can be signed for nearly nothing
    Utterly stupid to miss the opportunity and have IQ on the same money in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone

When clubs in the northern hemisphere are impacted 10-20 % of their budget, it's 50% in the South.

We are attempting to build a stadium (hopefully), we wont have any where near the same ticket sales as last year and potentially we are missing out on TV money and sponsorship money if the league cannot be finished. Our finances are shot.

And also, for someone who tried to compare people to Thatcher earlier in this thread, thats a cold way to be looking at the players livelihoods.

Mul, it's over

What do you propose the NIQ signing gets paid with? Fresh air?

IRFU generates approx 85 mil a year. It spends nearly all of that year on year and the surplus is very small

Players and staff (bar the really low earners) are on a wage deferral right now. The IRFU CEO did a press briefing last week saying they could need to borrow money by the end of July. Revenue down by €15-20 million is a very serious issue for the Union and the provinces. Signing players now would be utterly stupid when the Union is facing into a prolonged period of games in empty stadiums and no STH money and lot of uncertainty about what form next season will take. If Munster had nothing signed with De Allende, Snyman and Gallagher there is no way they would be allowed to sign them

Leinster have lost Tomane, McFadden and probably R Kearney. There will be no additions

What do you propose the NIQ signing gets paid with? Fresh air?

IRFU generates approx 85 mil a year. It spends nearly all of that year on year and the surplus is very small

Players and staff (bar the really low earners) are on a wage deferral right now. The IRFU CEO did a press briefing last week saying they could need to borrow money by the end of July. Revenue down by €15-20 million is a very serious issue for the Union and the provinces. Signing players now would be utterly stupid when the Union is facing into a prolonged period of games in empty stadiums and no STH money and lot of uncertainty about what form next season will take. If Munster had nothing signed with De Allende, Snyman and Gallagher there is no way they would be allowed to sign them

Leinster have lost Tomane, McFadden and probably R Kearney. There will be no additions

I think the point he's making is that if there's spots in the squad that need to be filled, they should be filled with NIQ players as opposed to inferior IQ options if the cost is similar. I don't think that's realistic but you're misrepresenting him in a condescending manner.

Mul, it's over
    I think the point he's making is that if there's spots in the squad that need to be filled, they should be filled with NIQ players as opposed to inferior IQ options if the cost is similar. I don't think that's realistic but you're misrepresenting him in a condescending manner.

I expect one player from Leinster to head west (one of Connors, Murphy, penny maybe). IRFU are now in money saving mode especially as we have no idea what form 20/21 season will take

I cannot see anyone being permitted to sign a player for 18 months now at least.

Edit - budgets for squads will get revised downwards. Leinster for example are probably cutting 500k with Tomane, Ferg and Rob K going

I expect one player from Leinster to head west (one of Connors, Murphy, penny maybe). IRFU are now in money saving mode especially as we have no idea what form 20/21 season will take

I cannot see anyone being permitted to sign a player for 18 months now at least.

Edit - budgets for squads will get revised downwards. Leinster for example are probably cutting 500k with Tomane, Ferg and Rob K going

I agree, there's enough talent within Ireland currently to survive a season or two without imports. The IRFU should be looking at players who have not played many minutes and move them if there's a need, even if just on loan. Munster have 9 back 3 players contracted for next season for example, Connacht 4-6.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    I agree, there's enough talent within Ireland currently to survive a season or two without imports. The IRFU should be looking at players who have not played many minutes and move them if there's a need, even if just on loan. Munster have 9 back 3 players contracted for next season for example, Connacht 4-6.

Alex Wootton is going to Connacht if reports are to be believed.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over

the other point connachta raised was about players being signed elsewhere in europe, but there is a world of difference between a club with private benefactor pumping money in and a Union that strives to at worst, break even year on year. Bristol for example are against dropping the salary cap in the Premiership because their owner is willing to pump millions in every year.

I think its clear from Philip Browne's briefing last week that what we have now is what we will make do with for the forseeable. He also referenced the possibility that players here may be tempted to move away for more money in the near future and that is the reality now

I expect the IRFU to seek the wage deferrals announced 2 months ago to become wage cuts in order to keep the show on the road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement