Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

freyners wrote: »
    We are attempting to build a stadium (hopefully), we wont have any where near the same ticket sales as last year and potentially we are missing out on TV money and sponsorship money if the league cannot be finished. Our finances are shot.

And also, for someone who tried to compare people to Thatcher earlier in this thread, thats a cold way to be looking at the players livelihoods.

All true. I'm adapting too much to Burkie's cruel views, there:D

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    What do you propose the NIQ signing gets paid with? Fresh air?

You perfectly get what I meant.
    The situation is worst in the South, and players may be forced to get their living up North. Even on low-money, could still be higher in Europe compared to -50% salary or "no contract at all" they would have there

I think the point he's making is that if there's spots in the squad that need to be filled, they should be filled with NIQ players as opposed to inferior IQ options if the cost is similar. I don't think that's realistic but you're misrepresenting him in a condescending manner.

Thank you, exactly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    You perfectly get what I meant.
    The situation is worst in the South, and players may be forced to get their living up North. Even on low-money, could still be higher in Europe compared to -50% salary or "no contract at all" they would have there

The situation is irrelevant elsewhere. The only situation that matters is the amount of money available to the IRFU. 100k for a player not currently on the payroll is an extra 100k to find when the Union is looking at the possibility of needing to be borrowing money in a few months time as it faces into losses of 15-20million this year.

Edit Rough guess there is 30000 STH across the 4 provinces, average price of 250 is 7.5 million income gone. Just like that.

If, and only if, we can't sign a NIQ, and Leinster Connors keeps refusing the move, or Doris

As far as I know Liam was renewed, but not the big n°8 Gavin
    Coombes!

(two years deal in October 2018)

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    If, and only if, we can't sign a NIQ, and Leinster Connors keeps refusing the move, or Doris

As far as I know Liam was renewed, but not the big n°8 Gavin
    Coombes!

(two years deal in October 2018)

I would guess a one season loan might be on the cards. Think any potential signing would not happen until there is more certainty about the rest of 2020 calendar wise.

4 were annouced 10 days ago, the situation was the same

1 (absolutely necessary) big n°8 will follow
    (except if McKeon stays)

10/4/back-3 is more uncertain

Mul, it's over
    4 were annouced 10 days ago, the situation was the same

1 (absolutely necessary) big n°8 will follow
    (except if McKeon stays)

10/4/back-3 is more uncertain

Players from within the system including 2 academy players. Whether they are retained by the province they were at or move to another province the cost is no greater and there is still a requirement to have players in order to fulfil fixtures.

In the past week the IRFU CEO has ( and I think you should read up on this if you havent already)

- stated a possibility to need to borrow money to pay wages in a few months time

- was quoted as saying state aid may be required to keep the show on the road

- losses of 15-20 million are likely, and possibly higher. For the most recent financial year there is definitive losses of approx €8million. Most of that as a result of the Italy game being PP

- Top Irish international players may be tempted to leave if they receive better offers from abroad as the IRFU strive to balance the books

I would be very surprised if IRFU sanction any more signings this side of the proposed inter pro series in August.

Munster would have had two RWC winners and Connacht not even a starting n°8 (as Butler should replace Fainga'a)

better and better

and don't try to repeat again and again about "interpros", you do that on purpose

Mul, it's over
    Munster would have had two RWC winners and Connacht not even a starting n°8 (as Butler should replace Fainga'a)

better and better

and don't try to repeat again and again about "interpros", you do that on purpose

If Connacht had signed someone 3 months ago like Munster had then the deal would be honoured. They haven't and the landscape has changed drastically. Leinster are set to lose 5 players, sign none

IRFU are facing some serious financial challenges in the next 6 month's. Until we have a clearer picture of what next season looks like it's going to be very difficult for the IRFU to justify bringing in players from outside the system so i reckon there will be an internal move, possibly a loan for one season but depending on how it looks in August that may change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    Leader now leaving too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    gally74 wrote: »
    Leader now leaving too.

Any word where he is going? I had kind of hoped once it was mentioned Niyi was leaving it might mean Leader was staying after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    testtech05 wrote: »
    Any word where he is going? I had kind of hoped once it was mentioned Niyi was leaving it might mean Leader was staying after all

It says the us, didnt know niyi was leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    gally74 wrote: »
    It says the us, didnt know niyi was leaving?

Linley McKenzie listed him as a probable in her lost of 11 last week in the Galway advertiser. She didn't mention Daragh though which was my thinking. I guess we won't know until officially confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

testtech05 wrote: »

There was rumours he was off to America after Tadhg posted on Twitter looking for American universities taking on assistants for someone with 90+ pro14/European caps and spent time with the Irish squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

i'm surprised we're letting Maksimyw go. He was nothing special but solid and rarely injured, a perfect squad player. Don't really rate him but I could see Darren O'Shea ending up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    i'm surprised we're leytting Maksimyw go. He was nothing special but solid and rarely injured, a perfect squad player. Don't really rate him but I could see Darren O'Shea ending up here.

Maksymiw is welsh qualified and being linked to the dragons, could be him pushing that move

The Friend Zone
    With the Weise deal looking dead, what Irish 8s are available? You’d assume the Urdu would be pushing one from Leinster but can’t see any of them moving west. Can’t see any real options in Munster/Ulster. Is there any Irish lads over in the championship?

Wegians89 wrote: »
    With the Weise deal looking dead, what Irish 8s are available? You’d assume the Urdu would be pushing one from Leinster but can’t see any of them moving west. Can’t see any real options in Munster/Ulster. Is there any Irish lads over in the championship?

I thought Jack O'Sullivan from Lansdowne was the name mooted?

The Friend Zone
    I thought Jack O'Sullivan from Lansdowne was the name mooted?

Hadn’t heard that one, know anything about him? Wouldn’t exactly be coming in as first choice, probably see butler continue at 8, penny/Connors coming in would be easier than deegan/Doris/Conan

• Advertisement

Coombes from Munster, or Shane Buckley from Ealing!
    NIQ stil a possibility!

Hadn’t heard that one, know anything about him? Wouldn’t exactly be coming in as first choice, probably see butler continue at 8, penny/Connors coming in would be easier than deegan/Doris/Conan

I'm wondering has someone somewhere got their wires crossed and confused him with Peter Sullivan. Not overly familiar with him but apparently a good player if a little on the small side. Maybe this season is bit soon but I'm a fan of Josh Dunne, hopefully he can kick on.

Mul, it's over

I reckon everyone is waiting until August now before anything else happens. Philip Browne spoke about this 3 times in the last week. IRFU need a date target so they can then plan ahead, he hasn't said this multiple times for the Craic. It's literally a case of What happens in August is critical to IRFU (and most other unions)

Philip Browne was on OTB yesterday. The 50 min discussion is on their youtube channel. It's well worth a listen as he doesnt sugar coat Anything.

If things are looking a bit more promising by then it makes it easier to plan ahead, and there would be plenty of SA players in particular available especially if a few more players have moved on from within the Irish system. But if IRFU are needing to borrow to pay wages by then, and have no way of repaying that loan, what then .......

Edit. Have leinster announced contract extensions yet .... maybe there is something in that ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Loosehead

Denis Buckley (30) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Matthew Burke (23) - Signed contract in 2019
    Paddy McAllister (31) - Signed contract in 2019

Tighthead

Jack Aungier (21) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Finlay Bealham (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Conor Kenny (24) - Signed 1 year contract in 2020
    Dominic Robertson-McCoy (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020

Hooker

Shane Delahunt (26) - Signed 1 year contract in 2020
    Dave Heffernan (29) - Signed contract in 2019
    Jonny Murphy (28) - Signed contract in 2018

Lock

Oisin Dowling (23) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Ultan Dillane (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Cillian Gallagher (23) - Signed contract in 2018

Quinn Roux (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Gavin Thornbury (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019

Niall Murray (20) - Academy year 2

Back row

Paul Boyle (23) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Jarrad Butler (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Eoghan Masterson (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2018
    Sean O'Brien (25) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Conor Oliver (24) - Signed contract in 2020

Sean Masterson

Scrumhalf

Caolin Blade (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Stephen Kerins (24) - Signed contract in 2019
    Kieran Marmion (28) - Signed 3 year contract in 2020

Outhalf

Jack Carty (28) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Conor Fitzgerald (22) - Signed contract in 2019

Conor Dean (22) - Academy year 2

Centre

Bundee Aki (28) - Signed 3 year central contract in 2020
    Sammy Arnold (24) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Tom Daly (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Tom Farrell (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Peter Robb (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020

Back 3

Stephen Fitzgerald (24) - Signed contract in 2019
    Matt Healy (31) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Tiernan O'Halloran (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    John Porch (26) - Signed contract in 2019

Colm de Buitléar (22) - Academy year 3

Squad currently looks like this

Back row and Back 3 could do with some bodies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    F**k. Was hoping the Niyi rumour wasn't true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    That's seriously light looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That's the biggest clearout in a very long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Any idea where Niyi is off to? He hadn't really gotten back to the levels of 2016 and I know he was struggling with injuries but at 29 you'd think there still would've been a fair push to keep him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement