Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

testtech05 wrote: »
    Don't always believe stats from Wikipedia!! He started 15 and had 2 substitute appearances with I think 5 tries.

Hardly a journey man either. I would normally associate that with someone bouncing around between a lot of clubs.....

On Staples as far as I'm aware there is no actual link to him just 1 poster who mentioned he was IQ and an option to sign in his opinion. On this I would agree much prefer to have kept Niyi than sign him.

We have never really been able to attract bigger names from the other provinces from one reason or another but I'm not sure it is any worse now than previously. A lot of the signings which have worked out best for us have been for players seen as surplus at their provinces at the time. Quinn Roux and Cooney comes to mind!

Ok journeyman was unfair. but i just have an issue with Leinster more than Connacht. Its such a shame some of them can't see the opportunity. What a waste of talent.

I would argue it wasn't always thus. Flannery, Reddan, Buckley and many more. obviously none put roots down. but it must be now the facilities and backroom are so far behind players don't want to go. its the only thing i can really think of. would you leave munster/leinster hq for a shed (no offence)

all of this is more a dig at IRFU and Leinster in particular.

9, 10, 12, 13 all international class maybe i'm overreacting :) i suppose i'm quite annoyed at Niyi and the likes of Conroy being cut. Injuries aside he brought bags of pace, proof the AIL meant something and diversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Ok journeyman was unfair. but i just have an issue with Leinster more than Connacht. Its such a shame some of them can't see the opportunity. What a waste of talent.

I would argue it wasn't always thus. Flannery, Reddan, Buckley and many more. obviously none put roots down. but it must be now the facilities and backroom are so far behind players don't want to go. its the only thing i can really think of. would you leave munster/leinster hq for a shed (no offence)

all of this is more a dig at IRFU and Leinster in particular.

9, 10, 12, 13 all international class maybe i'm overreacting :) i suppose i'm quite annoyed at Niyi and the likes of Conroy being cut. Injuries aside he brought bags of pace, proof the AIL meant something and diversity.

You're proposing Flannery and Reddan as big name signings for Connacht but you're basing that on what they would go on to achieve rather than what they had achieved at the time. For both players Connacht was their first pro contract so they weren't exactly superstars coming down to the west. I may be wrong on this but I think Sam Arnold is the only time that a capped international has moved to Connacht and that is happening this season

b.gud wrote: »
    You're proposing Flannery and Reddan as big name signings for Connacht but you're basing that on what they would go on to achieve rather than what they had achieved at the time. For both players Connacht was their first pro contract so they weren't exactly superstars coming down to the west. I may be wrong on this but I think Sam Arnold is the only time that a capped international has moved to Connacht and that is happening this season

A fair point. And Arnold is a good signing, if a little unproven and probably short of recent gametime. Are A Byrne, Frawley superstars? I know i started the comparison but thgat was of its age. Reddan would be mapped completely differently now and yeah he probably wouldn't sign. But he's not the only guy and its nearly the same. I'm not talking of established internationals here. O'Sullivan was a really hot prospect in munster pl;aying for Shannon i think who became a connacht star. Why couldn't the new O'Sullivan do the same. He's not getting past Stander. But he's an incredible number 8.

Look i know alot of it has to do with A) what the player wants, and things like college etc B) the will of the home province to mantain squad depth C)money and D) facilities. I make no apologies thinking that Connacht and Ireland would be immeasurably better having say Frawley, Adam Byrne, Ed Byrne/Dooley maybe, penny and whoever else move west. Its hardly fantasy stuff like. None of these guys played much this season and unlikely next year. a waste.

and recruting the likes of Staples would be a travesty.

I'll give you an example. I know a person involved at the top of irish rugby. He told me that one of the Irish coaches was watching the sevens last december. And he texted him and asked about Conroy and wondered why he was not involved. He couldn't believe the pace and agility and step and the person texted all had access to his rugby stats and all that. I know Jordans defence is crap but surely if the person who is a professional coach is asking why is he in sevens then we aren't functioning properly. Now i know its an internet forum and pinches of salt etc but i swear to god thats what he told me and showed me the text. I had been harping on about him as we watched the sevens and he pulled out his phone. I had actually been asking why was terry Kennedy cut from Leinster and not being picked up.

theres probably hundreds of examples. Connacht's problem was they became a finishing school and thats the danger. But the loss of Niyi to me feels like the breaking of a chain of taking risks and finding guys. Dillane another good spot. It seems those days are gone now. Copeland another one rubbish for OCnnacht but should have been signed when he was scoring 13 tries in the AIL not at 33. Just seems there is a blind spot with the IRFU and Connacht. I think the moneyball approach is gone as Connacht want to be taken serious but then they need to up their strategy.

I'm not having a pop at Connacht i'm just frustrated with the IRFU. Arnold was a coup no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

A fair point. And Arnold is a good signing, if a little unproven and probably short of recent gametime. Are A Byrne, Frawley superstars? I know i started the comparison but thgat was of its age. Reddan would be mapped completely differently now and yeah he probably wouldn't sign. But he's not the only guy and its nearly the same. I'm not talking of established internationals here. O'Sullivan was a really hot prospect in munster pl;aying for Shannon i think who became a connacht star. Why couldn't the new O'Sullivan do the same. He's not getting past Stander. But he's an incredible number 8.

Look i know alot of it has to do with A) what the player wants, and things like college etc B) the will of the home province to mantain squad depth C)money and D) facilities. I make no apologies thinking that Connacht and Ireland would be immeasurably better having say Frawley, Adam Byrne, Ed Byrne/Dooley maybe, penny and whoever else move west. Its hardly fantasy stuff like. None of these guys played much this season and unlikely next year. a waste.

and recruting the likes of Staples would be a travesty.

I'll give you an example. I know a person involved at the top of irish rugby. He told me that one of the Irish coaches was watching the sevens last december. And he texted him and asked about Conroy and wondered why he was not involved. He couldn't believe the pace and agility and step and the person texted all had access to his rugby stats and all that. I know Jordans defence is crap but surely if the person who is a professional coach is asking why is he in sevens then we aren't functioning properly. Now i know its an internet forum and pinches of salt etc but i swear to god thats what he told me and showed me the text. I had been harping on about him as we watched the sevens and he pulled out his phone. I had actually been asking why was terry Kennedy cut from Leinster and not being picked up.

theres probably hundreds of examples. Connacht's problem was they became a finishing school and thats the danger. But the loss of Niyi to me feels like the breaking of a chain of taking risks and finding guys. Dillane another good spot. It seems those days are gone now. Copeland another one rubbish for OCnnacht but should have been signed when he was scoring 13 tries in the AIL not at 33. Just seems there is a blind spot with the IRFU and Connacht. I think the moneyball approach is gone as Connacht want to be taken serious but then they need to up their strategy.

I'm not having a pop at Connacht i'm just frustrated with the IRFU. Arnold was a coup no doubt.

Peter Dooley played 15 games for leinster, with 11 starts.
    Ed Byrne has 7 appearances, despite injury.
    Ciaran Frawley had 11 appearances, despite injury.
    Penny has 7 appearances after starting season injury.

Only Adam Byrne barely played from the players you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SuperCet

...Look i know alot of it has to do with A) what the player wants, and things like college etc B) the will of the home province to mantain squad depth C)money and D) facilities. I make no apologies thinking that Connacht and Ireland would be immeasurably better having say Frawley, Adam Byrne, Ed Byrne/Dooley maybe, penny and whoever else move west. Its hardly fantasy stuff like. None of these guys played much this season and unlikely next year. a waste....

You're very quick to decide how Leinster should be carved up to help everyone else. 2 Leinster players are heading West this season - loads have over the last few years, granted none of them starters - but in fairness, why would someone like Conan, Ryan, Toner, Ringrose, Ross Byrne, etc. look to move when they are at one of the most successful clubs in European Rugby? No dig at Connacht - love the team, but a fair comment.

Adam Byrne could probably do with a move, as his career hasn't gone the way you would have hoped it would have.

But why would Leinster ship Byrne or Dooley out, when we've lost McGrath in recent times, and have 3 senior loose heads, 1 of whom is an international? We'd be left without cover if one of them picked up an injury.

Leinster have 9 backrows on the books, with 1 of them usually injured and 6 of them eligible for Ireland duty. Jordi went North and he's gone great up there.
    In such an attritional position, again why should off load more players? Penny is 20 - What happened to players getting time to develop?

Similarly, why would we offload Frawley? Can play 10 or 12, and is behind Sexton (away with Ireland or rested a lot) or Ross Byrne (next in line and bound to get more international call ups). He will get plenty of game time. Harry Byrne is in the academy, so I dont see why they are now being counted as full players that should be getting substantial game time.

• Advertisement

Peter Dooley played 15 games for leinster, with 11 starts.

Ok i said ed byrne slash dooley. Dooley has nearly 100 games for Leinster, and Ed would be cloise if he wasn't injured. and in fairness you got Aungier so the point is moot. that was more for the player themselves. Like fair ****s to guys like Buckley and Masterson etc. Boyle.

look yeah its all conducive on the squad depths and loads of factors.

Maybe Connacht have a hell of a squad with the new recruits. Aungier, Oliver, Arnold.

SuperCet wrote: »
    You're very quick to decide how Leinster should be carved up to help everyone else. 2 Leinster players are heading West this season - loads have over the last few years, granted none of them starters - but in fairness, why would someone like Conan, Ryan, Toner, Ringrose, Ross Byrne, etc. look to move when they are at one of the most successful clubs in European Rugby? No dig at Connacht - love the team, but a fair comment.

Adam Byrne could probably do with a move, as his career hasn't gone the way you would have hoped it would have.

But why would Leinster ship Byrne or Dooley out, when we've lost McGrath in recent times, and have 3 senior loose heads, 1 of whom is an international? We'd be left without cover if one of them picked up an injury.

Leinster have 9 backrows on the books, with 1 of them usually injured and 6 of them eligible for Ireland duty. Jordi went North and he's gone great up there.
    In such an attritional position, again why should off load more players? Penny is 20 - What happened to players getting time to develop?

Similarly, why would we offload Frawley? Can play 10 or 12, and is behind Sexton (away with Ireland or rested a lot) or Ross Byrne (next in line and bound to get more international call ups). He will get plenty of game time. Harry Byrne is in the academy, so I dont see why they are now being counted as full players that should be getting substantial game time.

Again i'm hardly advocating the superstars. A Byrne, Frawley (could be a real talent but is blocked) O Loughlin stagnated

Now mcfadden is retired, Lowe with Ireland. So it unjams.

Most of Connachts Leinster recruits were not signed by Leinster so they don't count in my book. Its hardly carving Leinster apart.

The props fair enough they got one and depth is important so that point is redundant. Giving time for players to develop? Well if they are good enough to be playing pro riugby ala Penny then whats the point? luckily nobody said that about james Ryan or Larmour, but then again they didn't have about 5 guys ahead of them.

All i'm arguing is the IRFU and Connacht should be boxing a little bit more cleverly, or maybe they are (getting Aungier over Salanoa) and in that case the players need to think of how they could advance. I'm pro fludity among the provinces.

Can O"halloran bounce back to a bit of form? I just think the back three lacks a bit of something. 9,10,12,13 all very solid. A hot prospect in Aungier. Good second rows; Dillane, Roux. Butler, Boyle, Oliver. Not too shabby at all.

Ok i said ed byrne slash dooley. Dooley has nearly 100 games for Leinster, and Ed would be cloise if he wasn't injured. and in fairness you got Aungier so the point is moot. that was more for the player themselves. Like fair ****s to guys like Buckley and Masterson etc. Boyle.

look yeah its all conducive on the squad depths and loads of factors.

Maybe Connacht have a hell of a squad with the new recruits. Aungier, Oliver, Arnold.

Well E Masterson and Boyle didn't have an option, leinster weren't offering them anything.

Again i'm hardly advocating the superstars. A Byrne, Frawley (could be a real talent but is blocked) O Loughlin stagnated

Most of Connachts Leinster recruits were not signed by Leinster so they don't count in my book. Its hardly carving Leinster apart.

The props fair enough they got one and depth is important.

All i'm arguing is the IRFU and Connacht should be boxing a little bit more cleverly, or maybe they are and in that case the players need to think of how they could advance. I'm pro fludity among the provinces.

Homegrown leinster players want to play for Leinster, you can't force them to move nor can the IRFU without pissing off a lot of players.

ROL has been injured this season, otherwise he was a regular in the centre for leinster in europe .

Homegrown leinster players want to play for Leinster, you can't force them to move nor can the IRFU without pissing off a lot of players.

ROL has been injured this season, otherwise he was a regular in the centre for leinster in europe .

Yeah i've pointed that out. may have college etc homelife i get that. But lets not pretend playing the pro 14 is better than playing european games. Again this is probably where the facilities also plays a part in the thinking. Why would they leave top class ones for poorer ones.

Speaking of and moving away from squads etc, will this crisis hit Connachts plans for redevelopment?

• Advertisement

The props fair enough they got one and depth is important.

How is Frawley blocked? Sexton doesn't play that much for Leinster and is 35 next month. Byrne will step up to Ireland duty, so there is Frawley and Harry Byrne in the academy. Frawley will get his chance, at 10, 12 or 15.

Not saying Connacht have carved Leinster apart - great to see lads like Quinn Roux, Tom Daly, Oisin Dowling, Gavin Thornbury, Tom Farrell, and now Jack Augier getting their chance.

It's the general assumption that 'X' player only has 'Y' games, therefore is better off elsewhere. The narrative gets boring.

How is Frawley blocked? Sexton doesn't play that much for Leinster and is 35 next month. Byrne will step up to Ireland duty, so there is Frawley and Harry Byrne in the academy. Frawley will get his chance, at 10, 12 or 15.

Not saying Connacht have carved Leinster apart - great to see lads like Quinn Roux, Tom Daly, Oisin Dowling, Gavin Thornbury, Tom Farrell, and now Jack Augier getting their chance.

It's the general assumption that 'X' player only has 'Y' games, therefore is better off elsewhere. The narrative gets boring.

I take your point regarding Frawley. With retirements and ireland and chaos next year its all up in the air.

It might be boring but take most of Dooley's 76 games. How many in Europe? a grand total of 6 have come in that competition. and we're regularly told to play for Ireland etc it has to be y (european) games instead of x(pro 14). Connacht play in Europe either challenge or Champions. Its better than playing mickey mouse (some) games in the pro 14. lets have a bit of honesty about that.

Well all i can say is I hope players don't regret it. For me Copeland is the perfect example, again never signed by Leinster should have went to Connacht in his prime rather than his twilight years. Was told by Hugh Hogan and Peter Smyth that he was one of the most athletic freaks they ever came across. What a shame.

Now some rumours say A Byrne will go to England. Sorry but that stuff boggles my mind. i make no qualms about it. I think its very shortsighted. Particularly if COnnacht sign Wooten or the other lad suggested and while releasing Niyi, Leader and ignoring sevens talent unless its from Australia.

But as i say Connacht have a strong spine. Maybe im just concerned about the back three.

It might be boring but take most of Dooley's 76 games. How many in Europe? a grand total of 6 have come in that competition. and we're regularly told to play for Ireland etc it has to be y (european) games instead of x(pro 14). Connacht play in Europe either challenge or Champions. Its better than playing mickey mouse (some) games in the pro 14. lets have a bit of honesty about that.

Well all i can say is I hope players don't regret it. For me Copeland is the perfect example, again never signed by Leinster should have went to Connacht in his prime. Now some rumours say Byrne will go to England. Sorry but that stuff boggles my mind. i make no qualms about it. I think its very shortsighted.

Peter Dooley prefered to play for Leinster than Connacht, it's hardly ground breaking stuff..

A guy from Leinster wanting to play for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

A professional player don't prefer "playing for"
    He prefers playing, full-blank
    He may have other priorities than rugby, fair enough, but of course interpros moves should be on the cards for more players like him on a real career point-of-view

Real issue nobody clearly says is you're probably better paid being Leinster 3rd with no gametime than Connacht player fighting for a starting spot.
    Not enough incentive

Peter Dooley prefered to play for Leinster than Connacht, it's hardly ground breaking stuff..

A guy from Leinster wanting to play for Leinster.

which i admitted. loads of factors. I said i hope they don't regret it. 6 european games out of 76 leinster caps should tell him at the age of 26 he probably needs to change clubs. and these lads if Leinster are desperate to keep hold off due to talent, imagine what they could do for Connacht rugby.

And yeah i do think the IRFu need to be a bit more pro active like they were with Joey Carbery. It will be better for Connacht and it will better for Irish rugby, and it most likely will be better for the players involved. If they don't want to move fair enough, but i won't be shedding a tear for them talking about regrets in an interview in a few years.

Peter Sullivan signed i suppose. What are peoples hopes for him?

connachta wrote: »
    A professional player don't prefer "playing for"
    He prefers playing, full-blank
    He may have other priorities than rugby, fair enough, but of course interpros moves should be on the cards for more players like him on a real career point-of-view

Real issue nobody clearly says is you're probably better paid being Leinster 3rd with no gametime than Connacht player fighting for a starting spot.
    Not enough incentive

I think that's exactly the point - interpro moves are now happening more and more. John Cooney, Bill Johnston, Jack McGrath and Nordi Murphy all went to Ulster for more game time. If it helps a player, and they want the move, then it's a good thing IMO.

My issue is lads being moved - it's a job after all, and people have families, commitments and free will - so entice, rather than coerce.

If Connacht can't entice decent players who aren't getting gametime, then the IRFU needs to look at what it can do to help the province to be more attractive.

true. wouldn't it be great for Connacht some day to get one of those lads. and i would argue facilities. You don't want to leave the world class set ups in Leinster or Munster for COnnacht. weights, medical, pitches etc. Ulsters seems impressive too. Hopefully the high performance centre gets off the ground and changes all that. And maybe Sam Arnold/Aungier is the beginning of a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over

It’s broadly true though. Players are better off playing/being close to first 23 at least than playing 9-10 games a season with the second string. Same with any sport.

Not necessarily saying they should go to Connacht (Ulster/Munster might be better fit depending on position).

Not am I saying they should spend their careers at Connacht. Look at Jerry Flannery and Sean Cronin, both left Munster young when they couldn’t see a short term pathway to being first choice, spent a couple of seasons playing first team rugby (in what was a much less competitive province than nowadays) and went on to have hugely successful careers elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

true. and i would argue facilities. You don't want to leave the world class set ups in Leinster or Munster for COnnacht. weights, medical, pitches etc. Ulsters seems impressive too. Hopefully the high performance centre gets off the ground and changes all that.

I would think it’s not so much facilities as environment, top coaches beside some of the best players in the world with great backup and support in great facilities is not something people will give up lightly, plenty of players will back themselves to succeed in that environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Reading between the lines of the article it looks like McKeon would have got a new contract but then the pandemic hit and it's obvious that Connacht's budget has been seriously slashed. He was one of those whose contract was up so he was probably easy to cut. Terrible timing for him and you would have to feel for him. He sounds philosophical about it but you can tell from the article that it hurt. I guess they delayed offering him a contract earlier due to his recent injury troubles but then he gets back playing and boom the virus hits.

I don't think Connachts budget has been slashed. I think the whole IRFU outgoing on player salaries will be slashed and players under contract will be getting asked to take pay cuts, esp those on 6 figure salaries.

I suspect Connacht will sign a few players but much much closer to when the season begins. IRFU probably want to know what shape the season takes before sanctioning any more signings

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »
    It’s broadly true though. Players are better off playing/being close to first 23 at least than playing 9-10 games a season with the second string. Same with any sport.

Not necessarily saying they should go to Connacht (Ulster/Munster might be better fit depending on position).

Not am I saying they should spend their careers at Connacht. Look at Jerry Flannery and Sean Cronin, both left Munster young when they couldn’t see a short term pathway to being first choice, spent a couple of seasons playing first team rugby (in what was a much less competitive province than nowadays) and went on to have hugely successful careers elsewhere.

I dunno - depends on the team and the player. Not everyone can be a starter in their position, regardless of moving (see: Madigan, Ian). Others are very happy being part of a bigger machine, while some are happy to be a big fish in a smaller pond.

Eoin Reddan is a great example of someone who moved around to progress their career. Would much rather see that than fellas moved by the IRFU or being let go having stayed loyal for years (brutal reading in that McKeown piece).

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I don't think Connachts budget has been slashed. I think the whole IRFU outgoing on player salaries will be slashed and players under contract will be getting asked to take pay cuts, esp those on 6 figure salaries.

I suspect Connacht will sign a few players but much much closer to when the season begins. IRFU probably want to know what shape the season takes before sanctioning any more signings

Doesnt make sense though that Connacht have had to take a hatchet to their squad given their lack of depth, Ulster have only signed Madigan and Matthewson, Leinster have no announcements but are looking to cling to their home developed players, and Munster get a pair of World Cup winners, a Sarries full back, and a Leinster prop who wasnt meant to be going anywhere.

which i admitted. loads of factors. I said i hope they don't regret it. 6 european games out of 76 leinster caps should tell him at the age of 26 he probably needs to change clubs. and these lads if Leinster are desperate to keep hold off due to talent, imagine what they could do for Connacht rugby.

And yeah i do think the IRFu need to be a bit more pro active like they were with Joey Carbery. It will be better for Connacht and it will better for Irish rugby, and it most likely will be better for the players involved. If they don't want to move fair enough, but i won't be shedding a tear for them talking about regrets in an interview in a few years.

Peter Sullivan signed i suppose. What are peoples hopes for him?

Why would Dooley move? He 26 and only Healy is ahead of him. He will be looking at being 1st choice for Leinster once Healy calls it a day.

Mul, it's over
    I dunno - depends on the team and the player. Not everyone can be a starter in their position, regardless of moving (see: Madigan, Ian). Others are very happy being part of a bigger machine, while some are happy to be a big fish in a smaller pond.

Eoin Reddan is a great example of someone who moved around to progress their career. Would much rather see that than fellas moved by the IRFU or being let go having stayed loyal for years (brutal reading in that McKeown piece).

Yes people have different preferences which is perfectly understandable but if you’re just talking about maximising your talent, broadly speaking you’re going to be far better off with increased playing time and playing in a first choice XV or close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

b.gud wrote: »
    I may be wrong on this but I think Sam Arnold is the only time that a capped international has moved to Connacht and that is happening this season

Nah, there has been more than a few capped players that have signed for Connacht. Even off the top of my head Robin Copeland who just left.

Mul, it's over
    Why would Dooley move? He 26 and only Healy is ahead of him. He will be looking at being 1st choice for Leinster once Healy calls it a day.

Or Michael Milne/another academy guy will push through and bypass him.

Even for a prop, 26 is kicking on these days and he hasn’t played much first choice rugby. Of course it might work out for him but had he moved three years ago he would have three years of first choice rugby or close to it behind him now and might be much more developed.

It’s incomplete data obviously because the same person can never choose both paths. But generally speaking, I would be very surprised if, in terms of maximising talent, game time shouldn’t be number one priority for any player.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Or Michael Milne/another academy guy will push through and bypass him.

Even for a prop, 26 is kicking on these days and he hasn’t played much first choice rugby. Of course it might work out for him but had he moved three years ago he would have three years of first choice rugby or close to it behind him now and might be much more developed.

It’s incomplete data obviously because the same person can never choose both paths. But generally speaking, I would be very surprised if, in terms of maximising talent, game time shouldn’t be number one priority for any player.

there will be competition everywhere, players will back themselves when it comes to competition for their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

At 24 Dooley was 4th choice and had 83 minutes of Champions Cup rugby, don't think that's particularly good progress for a player of his talents. Yes he's in a good position now but that's mainly due to Jack McGrath's drastic loss of form and subsequent departure. Not every player can rely on the guy(s) ahead of him getting injured/departing.

Mul, it's over
    there will be competition everywhere, players will back themselves when it comes to competition for their place.

Yes but the competition isn’t the same level everywhere. Had Dooley gone to Ulster three years ago, the high likelihood is he would be a better player now. What’s best for a province often won’t be what’s best for a player.

• Advertisement

Connacht Academy

Further additions may be confirmed in the coming months.

Year 1
    Donnacha Byrne(Sligo/Backrow)
    Ciaran Booth(Exile/Backrow)
    Hubert Costello(Corinthians/Backrow)
    Eoin De Buitlear(Cornintians/Hooker)
    Cathal Forde(Outhalf/Corinthians)
    Darragh Murray(Buccaneers/Lock)
    Cian Prendergast(Newbridge/Lock)
    Charlie Ward(Tullow RFC/Prop)

Year 2
    Declan Adamson(Clontarf/Hooker)
    Shane Jennings(Centre)