Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    macslash wrote: »
    You're right. I wasn't thinking. I suppose it's more an area I would be worried about with injuries

Would agree that an 8, a winger and a 10/15 would be very welcome. Possibly even a hooker too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Would agree that an 8, a winger and a 10/15 would be very welcome. Possibly even a hooker too

Would like to see us back McNulty/de Buitléar on the wing and DTM at hooker, unless Murphy is leaving in which case he’ll need to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    I would be surprised if crowds aren’t back relatively early next season, barring a ‘second wave’.

It seems like Pro14 and champions cup will start around November, can’t see matches being behind closed doors at that stage.

Events upto 5000 from september hopefully.

Leinster Munster Ulster should be ok with that. Connacht not so much. Might a temporary move to Thomond be viable?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    Galway politicians might kick up a fuss about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Events upto 5000 from september hopefully.

Leinster Munster Ulster should be ok with that. Connacht not so much. Might a temporary move to Thomond be viable?

I don’t see the point really. Be better off in the Sportsground with 3k (as an example if that was the max) than similarn or less in Thomond. I couldn’t see many travelling to limerick from Connacht on a regular basis tbh and couldn’t see many in limerick interested in run of the mill Connacht pro14 games, whatever about Europe.

But October/November is a long time away. Couple of months ago people was speculating on there being no rugby in Europe until 2021. Hard to forecast with any confidence what the situation will be then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    I don’t see the point really. Be better off in the Sportsground with 3k (as an example if that was the max) than similarn or less in Thomond. I couldn’t see many travelling to limerick from Connacht on a regular basis tbh and couldn’t see many in limerick interested in run of the mill Connacht pro14 games, whatever about Europe.

But October/November is a long time away. Couple of months ago people was speculating on there being no rugby in Europe until 2021. Hard to forecast with any confidence what the situation will be then.

The lack of seats in galway an issue? Seating easier to implement social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

freyners wrote: »
    The reason we are in is because of the expansion of the CC. We are still in fourth and if it had been a 20 team CC we would have had a play off against the dragons.

Also, serious lack of class in that post

A home play-off vs Dragons, so no disrespect to this team but we would have very highly probably qualified. Just thank you to Clermont and Toulouse to have opposed to reduction of the CC to 18 clubs

Also my point was toward every here who considered Treviso would have be qualified because playing Zebre 4 times would count. It was unfair and unacceptable. Pro14 have admited it very simply (unscheduled games). I'm grateful to them to have acknowledged the only reasonable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Interesting to see super rugby crowds back at full capacity hopefully we can be hack up and running by Christmas. With that being said less people at the games will mean an increase in viewership, times like this is where Connacht struggle to keep up with incoming revenue Of other provinces due to the lack of a seated stand. Can imagine the rds and Thomand will be leasing out sections of their stands to organisations willing to pay for advertisement banners across the seats etc

It's a true relief for Connacht but not for Montpellier or London Irish

If Castres or Leicester win Challenge Cup, they could oust them (discussions ongoing about this possibilty)

So glad Dragons are already the 8th qualified (Scarlets and Edinburgh too, and Treviso+Ospreys+Cardiff not in this competition/eliminated), we're safe!

When only looking at the sevens from Wales, Ireland and Scotland, the average height was 186.3cms (6ft 1in) and average weight is 102.2kgs (16st 1lb),

I don't really get the problem with Oliver on Munster forum
    He's 183 cm and 101 kg.
    Very much in the average

He just has to stay fit
    And he will be grand !

• Advertisement

Now Pro14 acknowledged unscheduled games can't count as it'd have been a huge unfair advantage for Treviso, we're good to go in the Champions Cup we deserve (home play-off vs Dragons would have likely been won)

we can have those 2 signings we need, 8 and 15/10 utility

I think we will sign them only for new season

1) we can play the 2 derbies with the squad we have, nothing at stake + 38 players fit (old injuries recovery should be good for everyone)

2) Australian provincial competition will end mid-September, I'm sure Friend will find it easier to make 2 guys come from here to start with us on the 3rd of October!

3) 3 months of salaries (July to September) for 2 NIQs saved this way too, it does count..

My decision not to stay & re-sign with @munsterrugby was an incredibly tough decision but ultimately I believe the correct one.
    It’s been a pleasure to play for @munsterrugby and I’d like to thank all involved with the organisation to any capacity.
    I’ve made some incredible memories with some of my best friends and them days I’ll never forget.
    I am hugely excited to be joining @connachtrugby next season. From sitting down with Andy & Nigel it immediately became clear the direction they want to take the club in. I am massively excited about what the present & the future holds in the west.

Clear indication Sam Arnold could have re-sign but chose us!
    With Bundee, T.Farrell, him, and Robb, we have 4 high quality centres with different profiles.
    It's the area, with SH, we constantly have nothing to be ashamed of compared to other province in the past 10 years (McSharry, Griffin, Godwin, Tonetti, Henshaw...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    I see on OTB AM James Connolly is out of contract with Nottingham. Given we are still light in the backrow could we seem being offered a deal?

Although between Butler and Oliver we are in good shape 7 wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    freyners wrote: »
    I see on OTB AM James Connolly is out of contract with Nottingham. Given we are still light in the backrow could we seem being offered a deal?

Although between Butler and Oliver we are in good shape 7 wise.

It would make more sense to bring McKeown back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone

Good point

Having cleared out a lot of average players over the last couple of years it wouldn't make sense to sign Connolly. Hard to see McKeon coming back after reading his interview in the42, hope he gets a good deal somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

And a better injury profile.

Connolly has only 44 games played at senior level.
    36 at Connacht
    8 at Nottingham

And he is now 27, getting over another injury

+ I'd rather have a big ball carrying n°8

I'm confident we'll sign a NIQ for October after Aussie/N-Z are free to go from their domestic super rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    Looking at the squad numbers there's a far bigger need in the back three than in the backrow. Connacht have seven backrow players signed up and none of them are currently in contention for Ireland. If you ignore the locks that can play blindside Munster have seven senior backrow players while two of them are current internationals. There's only five back three players signed up with Connacht, amongst them Peter Sullivan who has yet to make a debut.

It's a pity the Wootton talk came to nothing. Unless there's a big turnaround he's not going to play much in Munster colours and will likely be let go in summer 2021.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Wonder would Connacht look at Jack Kelly who had been playing irish 7's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Wonder would Connacht look at Jack Kelly who had been playing irish 7's.

He is still in the 7s squad and will be looking to go to the Olympics surely with the rest if that squad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

He is still in the 7s squad and will be looking to go to the Olympics surely with the rest if that squad?

a lot of assumption being made there. who knows the future of intl 7's rugby with covid.

a lot of assumption being made there. who knows the future of intl 7's rugby with covid.

Yes if it's "just" Olympics without other travels, nothing prevents him to play winger as cover for Connacht

Looking at the squad numbers there's a far bigger need in the back three than in the backrow. Connacht have seven backrow players signed up and none of them are currently in contention for Ireland. If you ignore the locks that can play blindside Munster have seven senior backrow players while two of them are current internationals. There's only five back three players signed up with Connacht, amongst them Peter Sullivan who has yet to make a debut.

It's a pity the Wootton talk came to nothing. Unless there's a big turnaround he's not going to play much in Munster colours and will likely be let go in summer 2021.

We need both. Sean O'Brien and Conor Oliver are injury prone. Oisin Dowling has started 1 game of pro rugby and none in the back row. Sean Masterson has never started a professional game, he has 36 minutes off the bench to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Barry Daly released by Leinster would happily take him out west if he can get a run of games together, game changing speed with a burst of power when fit

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Barry Daly released by Leinster would happily take him out west if he can get a run of games together, game changing speed with a burst of power when fit

Absolutely! Would be great back 3 cover if he can sort out injuries!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Lucas44 wrote: »

Fitness aside that would be a great signing for Connacht. He’s an excellent player.

Yes!

https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/115306/connacht-rugby-to-resume-training-on-monday

It is expected at least two more players will be signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

You've got a Friend in me
    Could do a lot worse than Daly. Comfortable at playing across the back 3 and 19 tries in 36 games is an unbelievable strike rate. When he was firing he had a real knack at finishing tries that I just couldn't see others in our squad doing (Montpellier game at home springs to mind)

But knee and shoulder/ collarbone issues in rapid succession really curbed his game time.

You've already signed one Daly from us who has worked out pretty well. Might as well get the pair :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

Could do a lot worse than Daly. Comfortable at playing across the back 3 and 19 tries in 36 games is an unbelievable strike rate. When he was firing he had a real knack at finishing tries that I just couldn't see others in our squad doing (Montpellier game at home springs to mind)

But knee and shoulder/ collarbone issues in rapid succession really curbed his game time.

You've already signed one Daly from us who has worked out pretty well. Might as well get the pair :pac:

I have heard hes retiring from professional rugby due to constant injuries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement