Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Just looking at that list there, the scrum half position is very exciting. Huge chance for the two younger lads if either of Marms or Blade pick up an injury or international call up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Alex Wooton joining on one year loan.

Fairly underwhelming but given the position need and the finances going forward in the short term it's probably as good as can be expected. Hope he does well.

Still think the squad has taken a not inconsiderable dip in quality overall. Really depending on some of the (many) young players making a serious impact to counter balance this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

macslash wrote: »
    Just looking at that list there, the scrum half position is very exciting. Huge chance for the two younger lads if either of Marms or Blade pick up an injury or international call up.

Most Irish U20 SH are Connachtmen we're blessed in this position

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

connachta wrote: »
    Murray just reach 110k from 100k during lockdown. He may lose weight during open season and training.

So here are in your list those who are really comparable

In this list only 2 are high-profile players.

every player in that list was named in the 6nations squad this year for their respected country 🀦*♂️

Lucas44 wrote: »
    every player in that list was named in the 6nations squad this year for their respected country ��*♂️

No sorry a squad player for Italy or Wales is not better than a PRO14 Squad player (which he is btw).
    If N.Murray is higher-profile, he has to be compared (weight also) to Irish, English N-Z and S-Af 3 main locks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    No sorry a squad player for Italy or Wales is not better than a PRO14 Squad player (which he is btw).
    If N.Murray is higher-profile, he has to be compared (weight also) to Irish, English N-Z and S-Af 3 main locks

Can we not write him off before he’s even got on the pitch? He looked good anytime last season and had the potential to be one of the best players to come out of the Connacht academy in years. He’ll need time but I’d rather he played and learned than signing a journey man lock who weighs 120kg

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Can we not write him off before he’s even got on the pitch? He looked good anytime last season and had the potential to be one of the best players to come out of the Connacht academy in years. He’ll need time but I’d rather he played and learned than signing a journey man lock who weighs 120kg

My point never has been to write him off.
    But to say he's not the starting solution or game-changer for now.

He gained 10 Kg in 1 year. He could well add 5-6 more in the next years, he's only 20. He may be the future, no problem about this. But I'm worried for this season to have light and very young back-ups (Dowling and him) right behind our 3 main.

I think Gallagher have a pivotal role to play as TH lock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Your first choice 23 as the squad is now?

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Dave Heffernan
    3. Finlay Bealham
    4. Gavin Thornbury
    5. Quinn Roux
    6. Sean O'Brien
    7. Jarrad Butler
    8. Paul Boyle
    9. Caolin Blade
    10. Jack Carty
    11. Alex Wootton
    12. Bundee Aki
    13. Tom Farrell
    14. John Porch
    15. Tiernan O'Halloran
    16. Shane Delahunt
    17. Paddy McAllister
    18. Dom Robertson-McCoy
    19. Ultan Dillane
    20. Eoghan Masterson
    21. Kieran Marmion
    22. Conor Fitzgerald
    23. Sam Arnold

Dillane vs Thornbury is a toss up for me, each has outperformed the other at different points over the past couple of seasons. Ditto Blade/Marmion. Hopefully we'll sign a starting 8, with Boyle dropping into the 20 jersey, but realistically starting a lot at 6 when O'Brien isn't available. Have given the nod to Farrell over Arnold based on past performances, but the best policy could be to rotate himself and Arnold on a horses for courses basis. I'd definitely be happier with Arnold on a wet December day in the RDS. Wootton over Healy is questionable, we'll have to see what sort of form either can sustain.

Your first choice 23 as the squad is now?

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Dave Heffernan
    3. Finlay Bealham
    4. Gavin Thornbury
    5. Quinn Roux
    6. Sean O'Brien
    7. Jarrad Butler
    8. Paul Boyle Sure a big NIQ will be our final and marquee signing here
    9. Caolin Blade Marmion back to his best said Friend
    10. Jack Carty
    11. Alex Wootton I'd trust S.Fitzgerald for defence
    12. Bundee Aki
    13. Tom Farrell
    14. John Porch
    15. Tiernan O'Halloran
    16. Shane Delahunt
    17. Paddy McAllister
    18. Dom Robertson-McCoy
    19. Ultan Dillane
    20. Eoghan Masterson Boyle there, then, but close call with SOB/Masterson
    21. Kieran Marmion
    22. Conor Fitzgerald
    23. Sam Arnold

Dillane vs Thornbury is a toss up for me, each has outperformed the other at different points over the past couple of seasons. Ditto Blade/Marmion. Hopefully we'll sign a starting 8, with Boyle dropping into the 20 jersey, but realistically starting a lot at 6 when O'Brien isn't available. Have given the nod to Farrell over Arnold based on past performances, but the best policy could be to rotate himself and Arnold on a horses for courses basis. I'd definitely be happier with Arnold on a wet December day in the RDS. Wootton over Healy is questionable, we'll have to see what sort of form either can sustain.

We agree!

We agree!

Wonder when Stephen Fitz will be back, did his ACL in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Think McAllister will push Buckley for a starting spot. I’d probably start Thornbury-Roux with Dillane on the bench for big matches. Marmion probably starts for me over blade.

McAllister/ Buckley
    Heff
    Bealham
    Thornbury
    Roux
    Sob
    Butler
    Boyle / new signing
    Marmion
    Carty
    Wootton
    Bundee
    Farrell
    Porch
    Toh

Delahunt
    Buckley/ McAllister
    McCoy
    Dillane
    Masterson
    Blade
    C Fitz
    S Fitz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    I think Dillane starts with Roux for me, Thornbury is a very good player but always felt that combination complement each other best. Probably moot anyway as we're lucky to have all 3 fit.

Wonder when Stephen Fitz will be back, did his ACL in January.

we can expect at the begining of October, that's the important thing

We all assume Butler is moving to 7, but no sign of this for now AFAIC...
    Oliver will play a far prominient role if it doesn't happen
    I'm convinced, even if E.Masterson is more versatile, Conor will be useful, and efficient. He's pretty much the same profile than Fainga'a, after all. Small, fast, smart 7 .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    I'm convinced, even if E.Masterson is more versatile, Conor will be useful, and efficient. He's pretty much the same profile than Fainga'a, after all. Small, fast, smart 7 .

I think Oliver has to prove himself before leapfrogging Boyle in the pecking order.. 6. O'Brien 7. Butler 8. Boyle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Bazzo wrote: »
    I think Oliver has to prove himself before leapfrogging Boyle in the pecking order.. 6. O'Brien 7. Butler 8. Boyle

Good balance there especially as Boyle has put on some kgs. O'Brien needs a season injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Bazzo wrote: »

Good balance there especially as Boyle has put on some kgs. O'Brien needs a season injury free.

Butler was moved to 8 because Fainga'a was so good and they both needed to be accommodated somehow. I'm optimistic about Oliver but not to that extent. Size =/= power, he and Fainga'a may be a similar size but Fainga'a is a much more physical player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Marmion at 9 for me too but will need to be at his best to hold off blade. Second row is tricky, Roux would probably be first choice for me.

Haven’t seen much of Wooton. Didn’t expect him to be first choice immediately to be honest.

Marmion at 9 for me too but will need to be at his best to hold off blade. Second row is tricky, Roux would probably be first choice for me.

Haven’t seen much of Wooton. Didn’t expect him to be first choice immediately to be honest.

At his best in 17/18 he was playing at a higher level than any of our wingers have been over the past season or so. Whether he can hit those heights again remains to be seen. Just about to turn 26 so time is on his side.

• Advertisement

Roux has conceeded 2 pens per games when he played...
    I'd go with Dillane/Thornbury, even if i'm the 1st to say we lack power
    that's why we need so much this big ball-carrying n°8

Mul, it's over
    Roux has conceeded 2 pens per games when he played...
    I'd go with Dillane/Thornbury, even if i'm the 1st to say we lack power
    that's why we need so much this big ball-carrying n°8

Have you a stat for that? Or just estimate? He gives away some silly penalties but would be surprised if it was as high as two per game.

Roux’s form for first half of this season before he got injured was excellent, best any second row Connacht has had in last few years, that’s no disrespect to Dillane or Thornbury who have both been playing well generally, especially the latter.

Think Dillane still hasn’t quite hit heights expected of him after debut season but has had off field issues and still has plenty of time. Might be a case of unfair expectations too.

Mul, it's over
    The odd one in exceptional cases is fine but I wouldn’t like loans to become a regular thing. They would diminish Connacht were that the case.

Have you a stat for that? Or just estimate? He gives away some silly penalties but would be surprised if it was as high as two per game.

Estimation but then I've found stats as you asked

395 minutes played, 7 pens conceeded

7 you devide by 5 full-games

1.4 pens per game

Bit better than my estimation but still too high

At the best level, a team may conceed 10-12 pens a game

No player should be allowed to conceed more than one...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Estimation but then I've found stats as you asked

395 minutes played, 7 pens conceeded

7 you devide by 5 full-games

1.4 pens per game

Bit better than my estimation but still too high

At the best level, a team may conceed 10-12 pens a game

No player should be allowed to conceed more than one...

When Roux came first he was a bit of a liability for the penalties I'll give you that but he has really improved in fairness to him!!

It's a bit harsh to just say oh gives away 2 penalties every game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Hahaha what about the french and Irish squad players I mentioned... so according to that logic a player good enough to get picked for an 6 nations squad is not better than the average player playing in the same league as them that they are potentially starting ahead of for their club? Can’t wrap my head around that.. btw he’s 2kg lighter than Gallagher and he’ll surpass him by the end of the year but yet Gallagher is a th lock according to you at 112kg. Come on take off the hater shades and sit back and watch Him develop [/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    The odd one in exceptional cases is fine but I wouldn’t like loans to become a regular thing. They would diminish Connacht were that the case.

Wootton moving adds Zero to the IRFU outgoings. At this stage the IRFU finances dictate everything as it looks like crowd numbers will be seriously limited for some time

Wootton tackling rate based on the past 3 seasons (Pro14 only) :

73%

Adeolokun tackling rate based on the past 3 seasons (Pro14 only) :

74%

Niyi is not a great tackler but at least we could say it is not a loss

Comparison (based on the same Pro14 stats on the last 3 years)

Lowe 71%
    D.Kearney 71%
    Conway 79%
    Earls 83%
    Sweetnam 79%
    Gilroy 70%
    Ludik 88%
    Stockdale 74%

Some time to re-calculate pluriannual rates, but it gives a better indication, based on samples of 84 to 187 tackles

(players without meaningful numbers on the 3 seasons -injuries, not arrived in 2017, no Pro14 gametime, not pure back-3- have not be selected)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    Numbers meaningless without an understand of defense systems.

Leinster play a very aggressive blitz most of the time, and trust their scramble.... Where other teams would be more inclined to push and drift and aim to slow ruck's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement