Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

If he turns out half the player Nick Williams was then Connacht have made a shrewd signing. As has been said hopefully more established options are available next summer or he’s proven himself

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    Bridge93 wrote: »
    If he turns out half the player Nick Williams was then Connacht have made a shrewd signing. As has been said hopefully more established options are available next summer or he’s proven himself

Leinster are going to have to let go a very good name in the backrow if Dan Leavy comes back on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Leinster are going to have to let go a very good name in the backrow if Dan Leavy comes back on form.

Deegan, Doris, Conan
    Ruddock, Murphy
    Leavy, VdF, Connors, Penny

Couple of second rows who comfortably cover 6 too. Yeah there’ll be at least one on the move very soon. Personally don’t see Ruddock and Conan staying. Doris and Deegan for me are priorities to keep so if that means one must move to 6, I see either Conan at 8 or Ruddock at 6 moving on

Think Penny May have to move too. Probably more talented than Connors or maybe even VdF but will struggle to get time in big games to show it and his size may be a problem. Seems injured a fair bit.

None of this relevant to Connacht for now so I’ll stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Deegan, Doris, Conan
    Ruddock, Murphy

Couple of second rows who comfortably cover 6 too. Yeah there’ll be at least one on the move very soon. Personally don’t see Ruddock and Conan staying. Doris and Deegan for me are priorities to keep so if that means one must move to 6, I see either Conan at 8 or Ruddock at 6 moving on

Think Penny May have to move too. Probably more talented than Connors or maybe even VdF but will struggle to get time in big games to show it and his size may be a problem. Seems injured a fair bit.

move Ruddock and Murphy on. Maybe Conan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Evil_g wrote: »
    Hang on. We signed a back three player who's done his cruciate and is out for the foreseeable?

That doesn't sound like a good idea.

It's ridiculous. Given his injury status he should have signed for Ulster as they have much experience in offering contracts to crocks and cripples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

No-one trust Papali'i , then. I do. Leinster guys you quoted are not ball-carriers. He is.
    It's not just about qualities, but profiles into a specific team. Connacht have a problem for years : gain ground in contact. He will help to fix it. Simple as this. For other qualities, I totally trust SOB, Masterson, Butler and so on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    Deegan, Doris, Conan
    Ruddock, Murphy

it obvious, split them in two,

https://thewildgeese.irish/profiles/blogs/that-fifth-province-of-ireland

Ireland had 5 provinces, leinster is now 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

connachta wrote: »
    No-one trust Papali'i , then. I do. Leinster guys you quoted are not ball-carriers. He is.
    It's not just about qualities, but profiles into a specific team. Connacht have a problem for years : gain ground in contact. He will help to fix it. Simple as this. For other qualities, I totally trust SOB, Masterson, Butler and so on

He only helps to fix that issue (Assuming he’s is a good carrier)if he’s good enough to start regularly, which is really what I think people are questioning. He’s played RL at a not quite top level and union at a not quite top level, hopefully he’s a decent player but nothing in his career so far suggests he’s going to be much more than squad filler.

salmocab wrote: »
    He only helps to fix that issue (Assuming he’s is a good carrier)if he’s good enough to start regularly, which is really what I think people are questioning. He’s played RL at a not quite top level and union at a not quite top level, hopefully he’s a decent player but nothing in his career so far suggests he’s going to be much more than squad filler.

He's clearly a ball carrier, I've watched his 7's games too

the question is :

do you want to start a 7/10 player which brings a quality you don't have in your XV, or a 8/10 player which won't bring that specific added-value

the answer depend on the team you face, fitness etc. Rotation will happen

Disagree with the term "squad filler". If he plays mostly 20 and cause havoc within tired defences, then it's good for me (that's what George Naoupu did in his final years)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

He's clearly a ball carrier, I've watched his 7's games too

the question is :

do you want to start a 7/10 player which brings a quality you don't have in your XV, or a 8/10 player which won't bring that specific added-value

the answer depend on the team you face, fitness etc. Rotation will happen

Disagree with the term "squad filler". If he plays mostly 20 and cause havoc within tired defences, then it's good for me (that's what George Naoupu did in his final years)

Look no1 wants to see him fail ultimately it’s just a bit of a head scratcher that we left jasper Wiese on the table after being released by the cheetahs after seeing his body of work in the super rugby to sign a relatively unknown commodity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Lucas44 wrote: »
    Look no1 wants to see him fail ultimately it’s just a bit of a head scratcher that we left jasper Wiese on the table after being released by the cheetahs after seeing his body of work in the super rugby to sign a relatively unknown commodity

Thought the Weise deal collapsing came from the South African side of things?

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Thought the Weise deal collapsing came from the South African side of things?

Perhaps I don’t know the full ins and outs but pretty sure he’s still a free agent https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/sa-rugbys-deadline-day-movement/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

From his brief highlights AP seems very big and explosive. Two qualities Connacht have lacked in the pack for quite a while. His hands seem decent too. It looks like fitness is the main concern with him. He was taken off around the 50 minute mark in most of his Bay of Plenty appearances. If Connacht can push that up to 60 and even 70 minutes then they might have a bargain on their hands. No doubt there is an element of risk though. Not financially as I doubt he’s on big money but they really need him to work out as they cant afford him not to contribute much next season in a position where they are light.

From his brief highlights AP seems very big and explosive. Two qualities Connacht have lacked in the pack for quite a while. His hands seem decent too. It looks like fitness is the main concern with him. He was taken off around the 50 minute mark in most of his Bay of Plenty appearances. If Connacht can push that up to 60 and even 70 minutes then they might have a bargain on their hands. No doubt there is an element of risk though. Not financially as I doubt he’s on big money but they really need him to work out as they cant afford him not to contribute much next season in a position where they are light.

100% agree!

we have a chance in this squad

either he'll be n°20 and he has the profile to impact the end of a game

either he'll start and we can easily sub him after 50. If there's an injury in back-row in the final 30, you just have to anticipate by having Dowling or Gallagher as n°19, who'd cover 6. If injury happens openside Masterson/Boyle would be moved to 7 for a few minutes.

either way Papili'i will play even if he doesn't last 80, until S&C works!

Loosehead

Denis Buckley (30) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Matthew Burke (23) - Signed contract in 2019
    Jordan Duggan (22) - Signed contract in 2020
    Paddy McAllister (31) - Signed contract in 2019

Charlie Ward (20) - Academy year 1

Tighthead

Jack Aungier (21) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Finlay Bealham (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Conor Kenny (24) - Signed 1 year contract in 2020
    Dominic Robertson-McCoy (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020

Hooker

Shane Delahunt (26) - Signed 1 year contract in 2020
    Dave Heffernan (29) - Signed contract in 2019
    Jonny Murphy (28) - Signed contract in 2018

Declan Adamson (21) - Academy year 2
    Eoin De Buitléar (u20) - Academy year 1
    Dylan Tierney-Martin (21) - Academy year 3

Lock

Ultan Dillane (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Oisin Dowling (23) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Cillian Gallagher (23) - Signed contract in 2018
    Niall Murray (20) - Signed contract in 2020
    Quinn Roux (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Gavin Thornbury (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019

Darragh Murray (u20) - Academy year 1
    Cian Prendergast (20) - Academy year 1

Back row

Paul Boyle (23) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Jarrad Butler (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Eoghan Masterson (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2018
    Sean Masterson (22) - Signed contract in 2020
    Sean O'Brien (25) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Conor Oliver (24) - Signed 1 year contract in 2020
    Abraham Papali’i (27) - Signed contract in 2020

Ciaran Booth (20) - Academy year 1
    Donnacha Byrne (u20) - Academy year 1
    Hubert Costello (u20) - Academy year 1
    Joshua Dunne (20) - Academy year 3
    Oisin McCormack (19) - Academy year 2

Scrumhalf

Caolin Blade (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Stephen Kerins (24) - Signed contract in 2019
    Kieran Marmion (28) - Signed 3 year contract in 2020
    Colm Reilly (21) - Signed contract in 2020

Outhalf

Jack Carty (28) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Conor Dean (22) - Signed contract in 2020
    Conor Fitzgerald (22) - Signed contract in 2019

Cathal Forde (19) - Academy year 1

Centre

Bundee Aki (28) - Signed 3 year central contract in 2020
    Sammy Arnold (24) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Tom Daly (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Tom Farrell (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Peter Robb (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020

Shane Jennings (19) - Academy year 2
    Sean O'Brien (22) - Academy year 3

Back 3

Stephen Fitzgerald (24) - Signed contract in 2019
    Matt Healy (31) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Ben O'Donnell (25) - Signed contract in 2020
    Tiernan O'Halloran (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    John Porch (26) - Signed contract in 2019
    Peter Sullivan (22) - Signed contract in 2020
    Alex Wootton (26) - Signed 1 year loan contract in 2020

Colm de Buitléar (22) - Academy year 3
    Oran McNulty (20) - Academy year 3

In: Jordan Duggan (Academy),Jack Aungier (Leinster), Oisin Dowling (Leinster), Niall Murray (Academy), Sean Masterson (Academy), Conor Oliver (Munster), Abraham Papali'i (Bay of Plenty), Colm Reilly (Academy), Conor Dean (Academy), Sammy Arnold (Munster), Ben O'Donnell (Australia Sevens), Peter Sullivan (Academy), ALex Wootton (Munster, loan)
    Out: Peter Mccabe, Rory Burke, Tom McCartney (Retiring), Joe Maksimyw (Dragons), Robin Copeland (Soyaux Angouleme), Colby Fainga'a (Lyon), Eoin McKeon, Angus Lloyd (Retiring), Dave Horwitz, Kyle Godwin (Western Force), Niyi Adeolokun, Darragh Leader

Calculated average age (senior 43-man squad) : 25.6 years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Kyle Godwin back playing rugby already, just subbed on for Western Force now.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Kyle Godwin back playing rugby already, just subbed on for Western Force now.

Godwin joining the tahs from the force next season

LH Prop
    Cian Healy(32/Belvedere/Clontarf) - central contract until 2021
    Ed Byrne(26/Clongowes/UCD) - signed contract in 2020
    Peter Dooley(26/Birr RFC/Lansdowne) - signed contract in 2020

TH Prop
    Michael Bent(34) - signed contract in 2020
    Tadhg Furlong(27/New Ross RFC/Clontarf) - central contract until 2021
    Andrew Porter(24/St. Andrews/UCD) - signed contract in 2020
    Vakh Abdaladze(24/Coolmine RFC/Clontarf) - signed contract in 2020

Hooker
    Sean Cronin(34) - signed contract in 2020
    James Tracy(29/Newbridge/UCD) - signed contract in 2020
    Ronan Kelleher(22/St. Michaels/Lansdowne) - signed contract in 2019
    Dan Sheehan(21/Clongowes/Lansdowne) - signed contract in 2020

Lock
    Scott Fardy(36) - signed 1 yr contract in 2020
    Devin Toner(34Castleknock/Lansdowne) - signed 1 yr contract in 2020
    Ross Molony(26/St. Michaels/UCD) - signed contract in 2020
    James Ryan(24/St. Michaels/UCD)- signed 3 yr central contract in 2020
    Jack Dunne(21/St. Michaels/DUFC) - signed contract in 2020
    Ryan Baird(21/St. Michaels/DUFC) - signed contract in 2020

Backrow
    Rhys Ruddock(29/Exile/St. Marys) - signed contract in 2020
    Jack Conan(28/St. Gerards/Old Belvedere) - signed contract in 2019
    Josh Van Der Flier(27/Wesley/UCD) - signed 2 yr contract in 2020
    Dan Leavy(26/St. Michaels/UCD) - signed contract in 2020
    Josh Murphy(25/St. Michaels/UCD) - signed contract in 2020
    Will Connors(24/Clongowes/UCD) - signed contract in 2020
    Max Deegan(23/St. Michaels/:ansdowne) - signed contract in 2019
    Caelan Doris(24/Blackrock/DUFC) - signed contract in 2020
    Scott Penny(20/St. Michaels/UCD) - signed contract in 2019

Scrumhalf
    Jamie Gibson Park(28) - signed contract in 2019
    Luke McGrath(27/St. Michaels/UCD) - signed contract in 2019
    Rowan Osborne(23/Clongowes/DUFC) - signed contract in 2020
    Hugh O'Sullivan(22/Belvedere/Clontarf) - signed contract in 2019

Outhalf
    Jonathan Sexton(35/St. Marys/St. Marys) - central contract until 2021
    Ross Byrne(25/St. Michaels/UCD) - signed contract in 2020
    Ciaran Frawley(22/Skerries RFC/UCD) - signed contract in 2019
    Harry Byrne(21/St. Michaels/Lansdowne) - signed contract in 2020

Centre
    Robbie Henshaw(27) - central contact until 2022
    Rory O'Loughlin(26/St. Michaels/UCD) - signed contract in 2020
    Garry Ringrose(25/Blackrock/UCD) - signed 2 yr central contract in 2020
    Conor O'Brien(24/Mullingar RFC/Clontarf) - signed contract in 2019
    Jimmy O'Brien(23/Newbridge/UCD) - signed contract in 2019
    Tommy O'Brien(22/Blackrock/UCD) - signed contract in 2020

Back Three
    Dave Kearney(31/Clongowes/Lansdowne) - signed contract in 2019
    James Lowe(28) - signed contract in 2020
    Adam Byrne(26/Naas RFC/UCD) - signed contract in 2020
    Cian Kelleher(26/St. Michaels/Lansdowne) - signed contract in 2019
    Hugo Keenan(24/Blackrock/UCD) - signed contract in 2019
    Jordan Larmour(23/St. Andrews/St. Marys) - signed contract in 2020

Calculated Leinster average age (base on this senior 46-man squad) : 26.0 years
    Calculated average age (our senior 43-man squad) : 25.6 years

Not a big difference in age-profile, then. We could have had thought we had very yooung squad with the newcomers this season. Not so much. Balanced with decently experienced guys

Calculated Leinster average age (base on this senior 46-man squad) : 26.0 years

Not a big difference in age-profile, then. We could have had thought we had very yooung squad with the newcomers this season. Not so much. Balanced with decently experienced guys

Big difference in minutes played the likes of jimmy Obrien Ross Byrne Conor Obrien will connors etc are already established as good pros in comparison to our players who a lot of the younger lads are rather up in the air

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Big difference in minutes played the likes of jimmy Obrien Ross Byrne Conor Obrien will connors etc are already established as good pros in comparison to our players who a lot of the younger lads are rather up in the air

One thing that really frustrates me about Connacht Rugby is that we frequently let players complete three years in the academy without making a senior appearance. Leinster are much better at exposing their academy players to senior rugby. A couple of years ago Rory Moloney did three years in the academy then one year on a dev deal without playing a single game. What’s the plan there? I know that there is a feeling among young players that Connacht string along young lads who have no realistic chance of making it in the pro game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    One thing that really frustrates me about Connacht Rugby is that we frequently let players complete three years in the academy without making a senior appearance. Leinster are much better at exposing their academy players to senior rugby. A couple of years ago Rory Moloney did three years in the academy then one year on a dev deal without playing a single game. What’s the plan there? I know that there is a feeling among young players that Connacht string along young lads who have no realistic chance of making it in the pro game.

In fairness Leinster tend to have 15 + players in Irish squads which creates more opportunities for players to earn playing opportunities.
    If players are good enough they ll get there chances. No point giving academy players games just for the sake of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

You've got a Friend in me
    when i compared AP to Nick Williams, i meant that he’s a big lump of a wrecking ball with questionable fitness and a limited ceiling. they share a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses.

i will say it speaks volumes about the guy that he went from playing club rugby a couple of years ago to working his way back into the pro game to earn this contract. hopefully Friend can harness that mentality, like someone above said if he has half the impact on Connacht that Williams has had on various clubs over the years he’ll have more than earned his pay.

when i compared AP to Nick Williams, i meant that he’s a big lump of a wrecking ball with questionable fitness and a limited ceiling. they share a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses.

i will say it speaks volumes about the guy that he went from playing club rugby a couple of years ago to working his way back into the pro game to earn this contract. hopefully Friend can harness that mentality, like someone above said if he has half the impact on Connacht that Williams has had on various clubs over the years he’ll have more than earned his pay.

I had Williams-profile in mind for years. This is what we badly need.
    Weaknesses can be improved, the important element is his style of rugby fits in our squad perfectly

KBurke85 wrote: »
    In fairness Leinster tend to have 15 + players in Irish squads which creates more opportunities for players to earn playing opportunities.
    If players are good enough they ll get there chances. No point giving academy players games just for the sake of it

Fair point re international call ups. I’m not saying to play academy players for the sake of it, I’m saying that those who are rated enough to get senior deals should be exposed to at least some senior game time while they are in the academy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me

Nick Williams was a junior All Black and had a few seasons of super rugby before he arrived at Munster. He's not comparable in anything except position.

I'd say Leo Auvaa or Dominic Robertson McCoy are better target profiles for this guy. If he starts a Pro14 game it will be the pinnacle of his career to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

.....If he starts a Pro14 game it will be the pinnacle of his career to date.
    ...and with one not unreasonable comment, our excitement levels gently flutter back to ground level... :-)

Fox Matamua was decent without any Super Rugby appearences.
    Again, these players are not meant to be gems, but much more than squad fillers, we can reasonably hope so!

Fox Matamua was decent without any Super Rugby appearences.
    Again, these players are not meant to be gems, but much more than squad fillers, we can reasonably hope so!

On one hand, Nepia Fox Matamua and Dom Robertson-McCoy. On the other, Andrew Deegan and Harley Fox. Time will tell on Papali’i.

On one hand, Nepia Fox Matamua and Dom Robertson-McCoy. On the other, Andrew Deegan and Harley Fox. Time will tell on Papali’i.

Deegan curently plays Super Rugby. Might not have worked for him, but not that a disaster in the end.

Papali'i was considered as a phenomenon in France. He has proved having the physical qualities we need. It's not like Harley-Fox who was very young and didn't move to professional level

On the other hand, there are no guarantee, Super Rugby players can get injured after 2 minutes and disappear like Taylor

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone

Papali'i was considered as a phenomenon in France. .....r

Ah here, ease back on the hyperbole.

Sangliers are a semi professional french rugby league team...... they are about 3 levels below actual professional rugby league.

"phenomenal" in that league bears absolutely no reference to how he will go even in Pro14.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement