Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

I know this. I disagree. I watched 3 of his games. He is good, and not due to missed tackles as it seems on his clip
    I'm honnest too, he's pedestrian without the ball. But attitudes are very pleasant ball in hand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

connachta wrote: »
    I know this. I disagree. I watched 3 of his games. He is good, and not due to missed tackles as it seems on his clip
    I'm honnest too, he's pedestrian without the ball. But attitudes are very pleasant ball in hand

I think your building this guy up for a fall to be honest, he’s mid 20s never played at the top level, you’ve wanted a big ball carrier for months and have decided he’s who Connacht needed despite very little evidence. You were on the Ireland thread seeing if the Aussie signing might be eligible for Ireland in 5 years time. They both might turn out to be great signings but it’s more likely they’ll do a job for a few years and move on I would think.

O'Donnell is promised to a great future
    There's obvious and shared evidence we need a ball-carrier. It's utterly insane to say the opposite
    The only nuance you could add is whether we we'd have been better with great talent signed elsewhere. I do not think so. I prefer Papili'i which fits the canevas better than any other light n°8 or extra-player, even a n°10. We have a squad wisely spread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Mul, it's over
    One thing that really frustrates me about Connacht Rugby is that we frequently let players complete three years in the academy without making a senior appearance. Leinster are much better at exposing their academy players to senior rugby. A couple of years ago Rory Moloney did three years in the academy then one year on a dev deal without playing a single game. What’s the plan there? I know that there is a feeling among young players that Connacht string along young lads who have no realistic chance of making it in the pro game.

It was the same at Leinster before Lancaster came in. You had Dardis and Tom Farrell spending four years in the set-up without ever being given a shot. Lancaster said that when he was travelling around visiting the Premiership clubs in his capacity as England coach one takeaway was that the biggest thing that affected how good a side was at developing players was whether or not the academy trained with the senior squad. It sounds blindingly obvious when you hear it like that; of course young players are going to develop faster if they're exposed to a higher quality training environment. But not all clubs do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

It was the same at Leinster before Lancaster came in. You had Dardis and Tom Farrell spending four years in the set-up without ever being given a shot. Lancaster said that when he was travelling around visiting the Premiership clubs in his capacity as England coach one takeaway was that the biggest thing that affected how good a side was at developing players was whether or not the academy trained with the senior squad. It sounds blindingly obvious when you hear it like that; of course young players are going to develop faster if they're exposed to a higher quality training environment. But not all clubs do it.

Not strictly true. There was a period after Schmidt left before Lancaster came where that happened but under Schmidt and Lancaster the academy players in leinster have generally been given a shot and it's not a coincidence that that coincides with Leinsters dominance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

two very average signings, two that would bring you back to the bad old days of complete dross. wouldn't be getting your hopes up. Abraham Papali’i is 27 with very little pedigree. what a shame Connacht couldn't or wouldn't convince other young irish sevens/provincial players to come on board. i reckon Connacht are in for a World of hurt next season in Europe, such a bang average squad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Niallof9 wrote: »
    two very average signings, two that would bring you back to the bad old days of complete dross. wouldn't be getting your hopes up. Abraham Papali’i is 27 with very little pedigree. what a shame Connacht couldn't or wouldn't convince other young irish sevens/provincial players to come on board. i reckon Connacht are in for a World of hurt next season in Europe, such a bang average squad now.

Thanks for your concern

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    They're two average signings but they were made in positions of need and during extraordinary times. They've signed plenty young players from the other provinces. Fainga'a, McCartney and Godwin are the only losses that have a material impact and in the case of the latter two Connacht have internationals in those positions

McCartney
    Tiernay-Martin (seems like a loss, but McCartney is 35 and DTM is promising enough at 21)
    McCabe
    Duggan (no idea, but won't be a huge loss anyway)
    R.Burke
    Aungier (gain)
    Macksymiw
    Dowling (50/50)
    McKeon
    Oliver (50/50)
    Fainga'a
    S.Masterson (of course a huge loss there)
    Copeland
    Papali'i (huge gain IMO younger better carrier)
    Lloyd
    Reily (unused anyway)
    Horwitz
    Dean (not much used but we're exposed in a multiple-injuries situation)
    Godwin
    Arnold (IMO not a loss, 2 very good players, Godwin wasn't exceptional, just more versatile)
    Adeolakun
    Wootton (50/50, same profile, good attackers weak tacklers, we're better-off if we count Sullivan added)
    Leader
    O'Donnell (may be a gain, let's see)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This season's home kit being voted the best Connacht kit ever is proof that Russian bots are closer to home than we think. A disastrous result.

Mul, it's over
    This season's home kit being voted the best Connacht kit ever is proof that Russian bots are closer to home than we think. A disastrous result.

To be honest, I preferred it to most of the ones it came up against. There were some odd exclusions though. The old Mazda one that was deep green (11/12 or 12/13 maybe???) Was one of my favourites and never appeared at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Bazzo wrote: »
    To be honest, I preferred it to most of the ones it came up against. There were some odd exclusions though. The old Mazda one that was deep green (11/12 or 12/13 maybe???) Was one of my favourites and never appeared at all

I genuinely expected 2005/2006 home to make it much further than it did. I just think this year's jersey is very generic and unimaginative. Can see why they would want to appease BLK though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    I thought it'd be green lantern or the Pro 12 year jersey TBH just glad it was a green one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

I thought it'd be green lantern or the Pro 12 year jersey TBH just glad it was a green one

Yep I thought the only way those 2 didn't make the final would have been if they met before then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    b.gud wrote: »
    Yep I thought the only way those 2 didn't make the final would have been if they met before then

And you'd have to think (completely being ageist) a social media poll would have a younger pov/recency bias. For me that rugbytech jersey with the black panels on the sides is a top 4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Godwin
    Arnold (IMO not a loss, 2 very good players, Godwin wasn't exceptional, just more versatile)

Godwin was very good (in the centre, had the odd struggle on wing) and available almost every game for two seasons.

I’m not sure Arnold is as good as him but even if he is, Arnold’s fairly extensive injury record suggests he won’t be available near as much.

Clear loss.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Godwin was very good (in the centre, had the odd struggle on wing) and available almost every game for two seasons.

I’m not sure Arnold is as good as him but even if he is, Arnold’s fairly extensive injury record suggests he won’t be available near as much.

Clear loss.

Robb and Arnold both arrive in their best age, they will provide enough cover!
    Daly has not make it IMO for now, but he won't play much until the 4 above him get injured. And SOB still in the mix, 22 now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

The Green Lantern jersey was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    One thing that will be a big loss was godwins playmaking ability from the 12/13 channels. None of the currently contracted centers are really playmakers and always felt that godwin added a lot there. Arnold has the ability to be a very good signing but feel he’s too similar in mould to what’s already there

Wegians89 wrote: »
    One thing that will be a big loss was godwins playmaking ability from the 12/13 channels. None of the currently contracted centers are really playmakers and always felt that godwin added a lot there. Arnold has the ability to be a very good signing but feel he’s too similar in mould to what’s already there

Farrell has hands, he was a bit injured last season, hope he'll play more (even if there could be Irish caps in the mix)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Farrell has hands, he was a bit injured last season, hope he'll play more (even if there could be Irish caps in the mix)

Farrell has a good offloading game but he’s not a playmaker and we’ve never used him in the way we used Godwin.

Farrell has a good offloading game but he’s not a playmaker and we’ve never used him in the way we used Godwin.

Could you define playmaker? Is it about pass distribution?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Could you define playmaker? Is it about pass distribution?

For me a playmaker is a decision maker and a strong passer/kicker. They can:

a) Step in at first receiver when the 10 is not present.
    b) Step in at first receiver on the opposite side of the breakdown giving the ability to play both sides of the ruck
    c) Make kick/pass/run decisions and distribute from midfield

For me a playmaker is a decision maker and a strong passer/kicker. They can:

a) Step in at first receiver when the 10 is not present.
    b) Step in at first receiver on the opposite side of the breakdown giving the ability to play both sides of the ruck
    c) Make kick/pass/run decisions and distribute from midfield

Thank you. I didn't notice Godwin was so multi-dimensional when he played centre...Especially alternating with Carty or switching blindside of a breakdown.
    But I trust you..
    Daly with his past is the more likely to play this part, but as I said Tom is 5th choice for the moment...

About Irish team
    molloyjh wrote: »
    We need at least 2 carriers in our back row.

At least Connacht now have one, it was a big problem for years...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

he's been playing sevens since he was 20. its a completely different game. and its a shame Connacht can't recruit Irish sevens players, one who was himself cut from the Connacht programme. one who i have been told bemused Irish coaches recently enough when they found out he had been cut from the connacht academy.

He's obviously a very very good sevens player. that doesn't make him a good fifteens player. which is the same logic as Conroy or Kennedy but why not take the punt on an Irish player like they did before in Niyi. As a Leinster based man who has connacht as my second team i find it quite disappointing when they sign two aussie sevens players. throw in a journey man new zealand lad who would remind you of the wild west days of the AIL recruiting any auld lad from there and i find it quite depressing. IMO NUcifora should put more work into getting lads to go to Connacht who need gametime and development particlarly in a European season. Aungier and Arnold are kind of wins but still unknowns. Wooten perhaps. But would Conroy, Kennedy, Wren,Flannery, Byrne, Nash, French not be better punts than some random aussie lad? obviously you need to convince them and not damage inter provincial relationships. But it would be a shame to see some of that talent go to waste.

Its just a pity that Connachts recruitment seems so haphazard, even still in 2020. Particularly in regards to being able to properly recruit and nurture truly talented Irish players apart from the few local lads they have, some if we're being honest aren't really up to the standard of European rugby, at least if Connacht want to stop being the weakest province. Its time to cut somebody like Robb. Farrell has been excellent of course. i don't know i just wish Connacht were able to get some top tier talent consistently.

Mul, it's over
    Dead right. Connacht are clearly only signing foreigners out of pure xenophobia against Irish players. That Jordan Conroy lad clearly was never looked at by Connacht backs coach Nigel Carolan while he was in the Connacht Academy under academy manager Nigel Carolan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    It's going to be more of the same IMO with the new stadium planned. Most of the money would be tied into this I reckon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement