Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Niallof9 wrote: »
    subpar compared to the other provinces. are you really going to dispute that?

Sub par means below accepted standard. Connacht's HQ is better than 70-80% of professional rugby teams in Europe. And was arguably better than Leinster before their new one that opened less than a year ago.
    I know where Tom Farrell came from. He can be used as an example of a Leinster player imo.

How can Tom Farrell be used as an example of a Leinster player who the IRFU convinced to move west for game time? He never played for Leinster. Connacht signed him as injury cover when he was a semi-pro in England a couple of years after he was out of Leinster academy.
    Jesus the amount of sensitivity on boards rugby made me realise why i stopped posting here.

Being called out for posting assumptions and half truths as fact isn't people being sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

You've got a Friend in me
    Jesus the amount of sensitivity on boards rugby made me realise why i stopped posting here.

Well whenever you're ready again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Sub par means below accepted standard. Connacht's HQ is better than 70-80% of professional rugby teams in Europe. And was arguably better than Leinster before their new one that opened less than a year ago.

Leinster’s HQ is open a few years now, not less than a year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

How can Tom Farrell be used as an example of a Leinster player who the IRFU convinced to move west for game time? He never played for Leinster. Connacht signed him as injury cover when he was a semi-pro in England a couple of years after he was out of Leinster academy.

Being called out for posting assumptions and half truths as fact isn't people being sensitive.

in general. people can't deal with realities at all on here. the idea that you can't accept Connacht's facilities must be a factor when it comes to signings etc is just unbelievable really. the idea people are happy with these signings is also pretty mind boggling. Connachts facilties are not better than 70-80 per cent of pro teams at all. have you seen Cardiffs for example? hopefully once the new one is built it will be.

ok i'll accept he didn't move directly but lets see if they can retain him now. the point was more to do with getting bodies there. and sometimes as with him and Arnold they have been succesful.

all i argued mainly was Connacht or the IRFU need to convince 3 or 4 more top talents to go there. What is the problem? the Conroy thing was explained to me which if true is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

in general. people can't deal with realities at all on here. the idea that you can't accept Connacht's facilities must be a factor when it comes to signings etc is just unbelievable really. the idea people are happy with these signings is also pretty mind boggling.

anyway best of luck for the season

When the new stadium and training center will be bilt, wil you accept we're on a par with others, totally. I doubt it

• Advertisement

Well whenever you're ready again :pac:

good one

connachta wrote: »
    When the new stadium and training center will be bilt, wil you accept we're on a par with others, totally. I doubt it

yes and then i would presume Connacht can attract a few players for whom these things matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

You've got a Friend in me
    good one

That hurt my feelings. You're right, people on boards are sensitive.

You should stop posting ;):pac:

the idea that you can't accept Connacht's facilities must be a factor when it comes to signings etc is just unbelievable really. the idea people are happy with these signings is also pretty mind boggling. Connachts facilties are not better than 70-80 per cent of pro teams at all. have you seen Cardiffs for example? hopefully once the new one is built it will be.

In my job, I have visited about 18 professional rugby club training facilities in Ireland, England, and France. And worked with Leinster Rugby, Worcester Warriors, and Bath Rugby.

Again you keep moving the goal posts. You keep saying Connacht's facilities are poor/sub par and are affecting signings. (Nonsense, who ever decided their professional career on a gym). You kept refusing to believe that Connacht's facilities are not poor. Even though you note that you are not actually famniliar with them in a recent post. Connacht's facilities are in fact very good. State of the art, no, but very good. Are they as good as Leinster's? No. Are they as good as Munster's no? No.

But are they as good as Leicester Tigers? Yes. Are they as good as Saracens? Yes. Are they as good as Toulouse's? Yes. Are they as good as Exeter Chiefs? Yes. Clermont and Stade Francais have been the only French facilities I would have been in that I would have well above Connacht's.

In my job, I have visited about 18 professional rugby club training facilities in Ireland, England, and France. And worked with Leinster Rugby, Worcester Warriors, and Bath Rugby.

Again you keep moving the goal posts. You keep saying Connacht's facilities are poor/sub par and are affecting signings. (Nonsense, who ever decided their professional career on a gym). You kept refusing to believe that Connacht's facilities are not poor. Even though you note that you are not actually famniliar with them in a recent post. Connacht's facilities are in fact very good. State of the art, no, but very good. Are they as good as Leinster's? No. Are they as good as Munster's no? No.

But are they as good as Leicester Tigers? Yes. Are they as good as Saracens? Yes. Are they as good as Toulouse's? Yes. Are they as good as Exeter Chiefs? Yes. Clermont and Stade Francais have been the only French facilities I would have been in that I would have well above Connacht's.

And the new ones will be up to the best I guess...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    And the new ones will be up to the best I guess...

I can't remember where I saw it but I think that might be a charity fundraiser....

yep no player ever decided their career on these matters. all i meant mainly was in an Irish sense as the players i was saying they might recruit are from the other provinces and if you were from Leinster or Munster they have far better setups. It is a fact, they do. I'm not familiar in their exact location, i do know its a purpose built gym in an industrial unit, no issues. their new facility looks brilliant, with indoor pitch. from what i understand they train at the sportsground? all the deatails of their training is available online.

anyway enough we did it before. you have extensive knowledge of the setups, fair enough.

If i said poor, it is harsh. I should have qualified only in an Irish context.

It will be brilliant when Connacht have their own high class facility. any news on this?

yep no player ever decided their career on these matters. all i meant mainly was in an Irish sense as the players i was saying they might recruit are from the other provinces and if you were from Leinster or Munster they have far better setups. It is a fact, they do. I'm not familiar in their exact location, i do know its a purpose built gym in an industrial unit, no issues. their new facility looks brilliant, with indoor pitch. from what i understand they train at the sportsground? all the deatails of their training is available online.

anyway enough we did it before. you have extensive knowledge of the setups, fair enough.

If i said poor, it is harsh. I should have qualified only in an Irish context.

It will be brilliant when Connacht have their own high class facility. any news on this?

Very humble and big of you. Fair play. As I mentioned: "It's clear you have the interest and plenty to add of value to the conversation".

Very little has been mentioned of the new ground since coronavirus. I'd imagine it is far back in people's minds at the moment. Supposedly they cancelled next years seasons tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Just saw some of Connacht's training pics uploaded in the last couple days there.

Jaysus whatever about Johnny Sexton Bundee looks like he's been hitting the protein shakes pretty hard.

INPHO_01710927.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Was there confirmation that recruitment has finished for the upcoming season ? Normally they say the squad has been completed or have I missed something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

There wasn't anything direct but Friend started comparing squad sizes recently with Munster IIRC which I feel like he wouldn't have done if there was more on the way.

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Was there confirmation that recruitment has finished for the upcoming season ? Normally they say the squad has been completed or have I missed something.

They haven't made that comment in years, as far as I remember. But every year, people expect it :D

I'd be supremely confident, that all our shopping is done

They haven't made that comment in years, as far as I remember. But every year, people expect it :D

I'd be supremely confident, that all our shopping is done

Well I think we did ok considering the circumstances. Excited to see how O'Donnell and Wootton go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Well I think we did ok considering the circumstances. Excited to see how O'Donnell and Wootton go.

Outside of a slight suspicion we are dont have enough numbers in the back row I'm pretty happy too.

Lots of angst over none of the Irish 7s being brought in over Porch and O'Donnell but given the success of Porch and Friends knowledge of his game I'm v optimistic on his signing.

Papali'i and Oliver will surprise being very decent

It's about Butler steping up starting at 7 and one of SOB/Boyle/Masterson at 8

For 6 we have depth behind Boyle : Gallagher and Dowling, when needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Papali'i and Oliver will surprise being very decent

It's about Butler steping up starting at 7 and one of SOB/Boyle/Masterson at 8

For 6 we have depth behind Boyle : Gallagher and Dowling, when needed

Slightly worried about Oliver and SOB with their injury records. Both excellent players when they can put 15 consecutive minutes of rugby together.
    The fact that they've had more time off than players ever get might help a lot of guys like that though..... i hope.

I haven't seen SOB on both training sessions pics...
    Someone knows if he's ok for August?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    I haven't seen SOB on both training sessions pics...
    Someone knows if he's ok for August?

We only have two games in August which have no real bearing on anything so I wouldn't be too worried about if he's available or not.

KBurke85 wrote: »
    We only have two games in August which have no real bearing on anything so I wouldn't be too worried about if he's available or not.

we havn't Papali'i and Butler should move to 7 so we need a n°8 even for these 2 matches.

Boyle is busy to blindside (1st choice). Oliver is not at all big enough

That leaves us with E.Masterson only there, if SOB isn't back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    we havn't Papali'i and Butler should move to 7 so we need a n°8 even for these 2 matches.

Boyle is busy to blindside (1st choice). Oliver is not at all big enough

That leaves us with E.Masterson only there, if SOB isn't back

Has SOB ever played a game for us as no.8? I think if he was available I would prefer him at 6 Boyle at 8 and butler 7

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    testtech05 wrote: »
    Has SOB ever played a game for us as no.8? I think if he was available I would prefer him at 6 Boyle at 8 and butler 7

Very little if any. IIRC there was at least one he was due to start a couple years back but I think he was withdrawn due to injury before the match (surprise surprise...)

• Advertisement

Has Boyle played any game as 8?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement