Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Dunney848 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be too concerned about Dean at fly half. Yes he’s inexperienced but so are half of the Leinster up and comers who turn into stars.

Sometimes it’s not such a good strategy to throw young players in the deep end particularly when the players surrounding them aren’t all Irish internationals but it’s the risk taking by coaches which often comes off and pays dividends by doing so.

Dean looks like a steady if unspectacular fly half but he has all the features of being one who can control a game and possibly open it up. He has good game management certainly looks like a better prospect than Fitzgerald.

His kicking is a bit wayward sometimes but accuracy and composure will come if he gets game time. His option taking and ability to get the back line moving is what I like about him. Teammate of Doris in rock and his father is the great Paul Dean of Ireland game so he comes from good rugby stock. Give him a chance and I think you’ll reap dividends

Thank you for the analysis :)
    To be precise, my concern is more about having only 3 OH, and the absolute necessity to prepare Daly to come in from the bench. It's obvious, if Carty is picked with Ireland, this situation will hapen at least once or twice...

Of course Carbery, Sexton still, Byrne, might be ahead. But Jack is nearing this Irish squad clearly...

I would say tighthead lock is a concern as well, either Dillane or Thornbury will likely be in the 5 jersey come August and neither are strong scrummagers.

Well our scrum without Roux most of the time last games, though not impressive, wasn't ridiculous either. I trust Finlay and Dominic to hold.

And Gavin or Ultan are maybe TH lock now, as by the magic of lockdown, it seems Murray gained 11 kg :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Looking ahead to next season, one thing that struck me is the sheer number of unproven players in our senior squad. By next May we'll know a lot more about those guys, hopefully for the better. I would regard the following as being unknown quantities at senior level with potential for improvement:

Matthew Burke (Loosehead/23/15 apps)
    Jordan Duggan (Loosehead/22/0)
    Jack Aungier (Tighthead/21/0)
    Conor Kenny (Tighthead/24/6)
    Oisin Dowling (Lock/23/0)
    Cillian Gallagher (Lock/23/15)
    Niall Murray (Lock/20/5)
    Sean Masterson (Backrow/22/2)
    Conor Oliver (Backrow/24/0)
    Abraham Papali'i (Backrow/27/0)
    Stephen Kerins (Scrumhalf/24/8)
    Colm Reilly (Scrumhalf/21/0)
    Conor Dean (Outhalf/22/1)
    Conor Fitzgerald (Outhalf/22/23)
    Stephen Fitzgerald (Back 3/24/18)
    Ben O'Donnell (Back 3/25/0)
    Peter Sullivan (Back 3/22/0)

That's 17 players, not counting academy guys who might see game time. IMO those players' future careers can be divided into 4 groups:

1. Regular international (eg. Bundee Aki)
    2. Provincial starter and perhaps occasional international (Jack Carty etc.)
    3. Provincial squad player (Eoghan Masterson)
    4. Won't make it at the province

It's hard to see any obvious candidates for category one right now, but it will be interesting to find out, and there's always the potential that this could be a really strong crop that could form the backbone of the Connacht squad for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Looking ahead to next season, one thing that struck me is the sheer number of unproven players in our senior squad. By next May we'll know a lot more about those guys, hopefully for the better. I would regard the following as being unknown quantities at senior level with potential for improvement:

Matthew Burke (Loosehead/23/15 apps)
    Jordan Duggan (Loosehead/22/0)
    Jack Aungier (Tighthead/21/0)
    Conor Kenny (Tighthead/24/6)
    Oisin Dowling (Lock/23/0)
    Cillian Gallagher (Lock/23/15)
    Niall Murray (Lock/20/5)
    Sean Masterson (Backrow/22/2)
    Conor Oliver (Backrow/24/0)
    Abraham Papali'i (Backrow/27/0)
    Stephen Kerins (Scrumhalf/24/8)
    Colm Reilly (Scrumhalf/21/0)
    Conor Dean (Outhalf/22/1)
    Conor Fitzgerald (Outhalf/22/23)
    Stephen Fitzgerald (Back 3/24/18)
    Ben O'Donnell (Back 3/25/0)
    Peter Sullivan (Back 3/22/0)

That's 17 players, not counting academy guys who might see game time. IMO those players' future careers can be divided into 4 groups:

1. Regular international (eg. Bundee Aki)
    2. Provincial starter and perhaps occasional international (Jack Carty etc.)
    3. Provincial squad player (Eoghan Masterson)
    4. Won't make it at the province

It's hard to see any obvious candidates for category one right now, but it will be interesting to find out, and there's always the potential that this could be a really strong crop that could form the backbone of the Connacht squad for years to come.

Harsh on Stephen Fitzgerald?

• Advertisement

connachta wrote: »

His interviews are always very interesting. Think he’ll absolutely nail down the 2 jersey this year and has a good shot at a Chris Henry-esque late career run in the national team.

Godwin started in another Force defeat. Less passes, less meters run even with higher runs number than inside centre, 2 missed tackles 1 turnover conceeded

The guy was good for us, but again, nothing exceptional. Arnold has his fate in hands and lots of opportunities in Bundee absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Godwin started in another Force defeat. Less passes, less meters run even with higher runs number than inside centre, 2 missed tackles 1 turnover conceeded

The guy was good for us, but again, nothing exceptional. Arnold has his fate in hands and lots of opportunities in Bundee absence.

He's also playing in a team that was mainly put together over the summer so there's very little cohesion in what they're doing.

Whereas with us he was in a settled team with a team structure that he grew into

I disagree with Friend about being "healthy" for Centres

in a case of

- Carty and Aki being both picked with Irish squad
    - 2 out of Fitzgerald/Dean/Robb/Arnold/Farrell injured (or picked with Ireland in a smaller probability, for 1 of the last 2)

if these 2 (not very unlikely) hyopethesis happen between mid-October and mid-April
    We're in big trouble, as Daly would have to cover 10, leaving us without cover for centre...

None of our winger are Poolman-kind, there's not even Leader,
    all pure back-3 players, who will slot as centre, don't know...

I disagree with Friend about being "healthy" for Centres

in a case of

- Carty and Aki being both picked with Irish squad
    - 2 out of Fitzgerald/Dean/Robb/Arnold/Farrell injured (or picked with Ireland in a smaller probability, for 1 of the last 2)

if these 2 (not very unlikely) hyopethesis happen between mid-October and mid-April
    We're in big trouble, as Daly would have to cover 10, leaving us without cover for centre...

None of our winger are Poolman-kind, there's not even Leader,
    all pure back-3 players, who will slot as centre, don't know...

Centre is the strongest position in our squad, we have 5 quality options in the senior squad and Sean O'Brien in year 3 of the academy. Any team would struggle if they lost their 3 first choice out halves. Colm de Buitléar played a decent bit of 13 for Corinthians afaik so if he gets a senior deal he would probably be the first winger to step into centre if needed.

• Advertisement

Thank you so much, both 22 y.o Academy guys can slot in!
    then I'm more confident.

Not confident for 10 without any 4th choice and Carty in the mix for Irish squad, though

Thank you so much, both 22 y.o Academy guys can slot in!
    then I'm more confident.

Not confident for 10 without any 4th choice and Carty in the mix for Irish squad, though

Yeah 10 is a concern alright.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Harsh on Stephen Fitzgerald?

A 24 year old winger with 13 senior starts coming off an ACL injury is the definition of an unknown quantity IMO.

Potential Eagles team?

1. Matthew Burke
    2. Dylan Tierney-Martin
    3. Conor Kenny
    4. Niall Murray
    5. Oisin Dowling
    6. Joshua Dunne
    7. Ciaran Booth
    8. Sean Masterson
    9. Colm Reilly
    10. Conor Dean
    11. Colm de Buitléar
    12. Sean O'Brien
    13. Shane Jennings
    14. Peter Sullivan
    15. Oran McNulty
    16. Declan Adamson
    17. Jordan Duggan
    18. Jack Aungier
    19. Cian Prendergast
    20. Oisin McCormack
    21. Stephen Kerins
    22. Cathal Forde
    23. Diarmuid Kilgallen

IMO the 2 September games are more pre-season games to give gametime to those who wouldn't play in August. Rather than purely Eagles game. I see more senior players involved

Potential Eagles team?

1. Matthew Burke
    2. Dylan Tierney-Martin John Murphy
    3. Conor Kenny
    4. Niall Murray Quinn Roux
    5. Oisin Dowling
    6. Joshua Dunne Sean Masterson
    7. Ciaran Booth
    8. Abraham Papali'i
    9. Colm Reilly
    10. Conor Dean
    11. Colm de Buitléar
    12. Sean O'Brien
    13. Shane Jennings Tom Daly (covering 10)
    14. Peter Sullivan
    15. Oran McNulty Alex Wootton

16. Declan Adamson Dylan Tierney-Martin
    17. Jordan Duggan
    18. Jack Aungier
    19. Cian Prendergast Niall Murray
    20. Oisin McCormack Joshua Dunne/SOB (if available)
    21. Stephen Kerins
    22. Cathal Forde Shane Jennings
    23. Diarmuid Kilgallen Oran McNulty

IMO the 2 September games are more pre-season games to give gametime to those who wouldn't play in August. Rather than purely Eagles game. I see more senior players involved

Tbh I didn’t even realise there was Eagles fixtures set, I was just thinking about the team we might hypothetically field if there is an A league this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me

Carty has a lot of ground to make up. Assuming Carbery comes back, Carty is probably fourth or fifth choice at the moment. He's likely going to be available.

Carty has a lot of ground to make up. Assuming Carbery comes back, Carty is probably fourth or fifth choice at the moment. He's likely going to be available.

Like it or not but Sexton is old, and Byrne not that ready to be considered as unmovable

And you absolutely can't say Burns is ahead of Carty

Carbery is ahead yes. After it's wide open

I'd be happy in both situation, good for Connacht if he stays with us this season with only 3 OH
    Good for Jack if he is picked.
    The best would be a mix. Trained with Farrell, playing some minutes, and relesed with the province most of the time..

Like it or not but Sexton is old, and Byrne not that ready to be considered as unmovable

And you absolutely can't say Burns is ahead of Carty

Carbery is ahead yes. After it's wide open

In relation to this season, Sexton's age is irrelevant, he is 100% first choice. Carbery is 100% second choice. Only injury will change that.

As for Byrne and Burns, well, the only squad that Farrell has picked was the Six Nations 2020 squad which featured both of them but not Carty. I'm not saying he won't get picked, just he has some ground to make up.
    I'd be happy in both situation, good for Connacht if he stays with us this season with only 3 OH
    Good for Jack if he is picked.
    The best would be a mix. Trained with Farrell, playing some minutes, and relesed with the province most of the time..

With six games in seven weeks, we are going to see a very big squad, possibly 45 players, so I would not be surprised to see four out-halves named and Carty could well be one of them.

But barring injuries, I don't think he'll be missing large chunks of Connacht's season.

In relation to this season, Sexton's age is irrelevant, he is 100% first choice. Carbery is 100% second choice. Only injury will change that.

The truth of a 35 y.o isn't the same as a 34 y.o.
    Decline is happenig. Soon. And before next RWC you know this

• Advertisement

The truth of a 35 y.o isn't the same as a 34 y.o.
    Decline is happenig. Soon. And before next RWC you know this

But not this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    The IRFU aren't paying Sexton (allegedly) 750k p/a to just play for Leinster.

But not this season.

He's 35. It should be this season.

Quote me 1 outhalf not declining at 35. O'Gara left at 34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Jaysus lads ye're being fierce optimistic discussing international squads at this stage. A lot could happen before the interpros even kickoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

He's 35. It should be this season.

Quote me 1 outhalf not declining at 35. O'Gara left at 34

ROG was 36 when he finished for Munster, 35 for Ireland (literally 2 weeks before he turned 36).

Last game for Ireland was sadly the horror show v Scotland, last game for Munster was a Champions Cup Semi defeat at Clermont.

cson wrote: »
    ROG was 36 when he finished for Munster, 35 for Ireland (literally 2 weeks before he turned 36).

Last game for Ireland was sadly the horror show v Scotland, last game for Munster was a Champions Cup Semi defeat at Clermont.

So, let's avoid that

Sexton should start in October, bench in March, then retire for Ireland and have a final seaon with Leinster as Byrne back-up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Why should Sexton retire purely due to age? He should continue to start as long as he's the best option available. At the moment, he still is, and arguably by a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    There is no chance of Sexton retiring from international rugby before he retires outright.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Why should Sexton retire purely due to age? He should continue to start as long as he's the best option available. At the moment, he still is, and arguably by a distance.

People on this forum and in IRFU staff clearly don't understand age, at 35 furthermore, means you can be 1st choice 6 months ago and not at all at international level very quickly after. After such an interruption it's probably now

Let's see how he does, but please don't pull on the rope because of non-pertinent recent past, at this age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Does Sexton play for Connacht now? Have I missed some big news?

Hint: Ireland thread, lads ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement