Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    Overall happy with the first 2 games, right choice to let 30+ play, transfers in and out are well thought out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭JohnniDrama

Friend has much to do on the discipline side of things anyhow. I've never seen 2 red cards for a team in a single half of rugby before.

Do you really believe what you type here and your ‘Connacht are a shambles‘ comments on the match thread? Or just throwing out some hysteria for hysteria’s sake?

I am genuinely interested because most fans understand that was a B team with some academy players in nothing more than a friendly. It was game time for the squad. Well advertised ahead of both games in fact.

Connacht did struggle early and the two cards were correct (easily fixable too) but they were also tenacious and tried to have a go when they could have kicked goals if so concerned about the score line.

In fact, there were quite a few encouraging individual performances. Blade was very good and I didn’t feel Munster could deal with Aki at all.

One could go down the path of the things the ref missed too for Munster but the game is done. No point. Who cares now!

But seeing as you are so concerned about discipline, I would be more concerned about Munster getting two yellow cards the minute 13 men applied a hint of pressure. One for your captain and the other for the alleged MOTM.

And to give away two tries to such a shambles....wow.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The Friend Zone
    Do you really believe what you type here and your ‘Connacht are a shambles‘ comments on the match thread? Or just throwing out some hysteria for hysteria’s sake?

I am genuinely interested because most fans understand that was a B team with some academy players in nothing more than a friendly. It was game time for the squad. Well advertised ahead of both games in fact.

Connacht did struggle early and the two cards were correct (easily fixable too) but they were also tenacious and tried to have a go when they could have kicked goals if so concerned about the score line.

In fact, there were quite a few encouraging individual performances. Blade was very good and I didn’t feel Munster could deal with Aki at all.

One could go down the path of the things the ref missed too for Munster but the game is done. No point. Who cares now!

But seeing as you are so concerned about discipline, I would be more concerned about Munster getting two yellow cards the minute 13 men applied a hint of pressure. One for your captain and the other for the alleged MOTM.

And to give away two tries to such a shambles....wow.

Munster were far from perfect clearly. That's not the point though.

Connacht should be capable of basic discipline whether it's their 1st team or ladies team. 2 red cards is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    Munster were far from perfect clearly. That's not the point though.

Connacht should be capable of basic discipline whether it's their 1st team or ladies team. 2 red cards is crazy.

Given Munster (148) and Connachts (145) penalty records over the course of the season, they're both a shambles by your standards.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The Friend Zone
    its_phil wrote: »
    Given Munster (148) and Connachts (145) penalty records over the course of the season, they're both a shambles by your standards.

No. Munster didn't receive 2 red cards last Saturday.

p.s. Some posters here are extremely tetchy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    Biggest concern for Connacht is that they seem to be hugely dependent on Aki being on the field, more than any other province their prospects seem tied to one player.

Not sure what the solution to that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Friend has much to do on the discipline side of things anyhow. I've never seen 2 red cards for a team in a single half of rugby before.

Think we've had about enough of this. Both red cards were because the player tackled, or led, about 2-4 inches too high. A small margin lower and both are fine. Now between the match thread and the team thread you have made repeated claims about a shambles and poor discipline. I see you're a mod yourself now so you should know better, but any more of this attempted trolling and patience will have worn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Curios George

Zzippy wrote: »
    Think we've had about enough of this. Both red cards were because the player tackled, or led, about 2-4 inches too high. A small margin lower and both are fine. Now between the match thread and the team thread you have made repeated claims about a shambles and poor discipline. I see you're a mod yourself now so you should know better, but any more of this attempted trolling and patience will have worn out.

Whatever about Trolling, the tackles were not just 2 -4 inches high. First one was reckless and potentially over exuberant. 2nd one was absolutely stupid as Connacht had lost a player to a red and to lead into and opponent with the point of your elbow is brainless. That said, Cloete should have seen yellow also for his brain dead high tackle also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

KBurke85 wrote: »
    It was only game since his injury

he played around Christmas.
    I'm talking about pre-world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭JohnniDrama

I think the coaches will be pretty happy with what they have seen over 2 matches. Clearly match 1 was much closer to the real us.

The ruck needs work, good ref or bad ref I think��
    Squad look very fit so that is good.
    Papali’i will get better with time. He came around the world during COVID only a few weeks ago.
    I hope for a fit Sean O’Brien for the season. We really need him I think.

The new season will be interesting. It is one thing getting up for games in Landsdowne Road in August, another away in the arse end of Wales or Scotland in winter.

So I hope for a greater consistency and luck with injuries mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Biggest concern for Connacht is that they seem to be hugely dependent on Aki being on the field, more than any other province their prospects seem tied to one player.

Not sure what the solution to that is.

Think this is a slight over exaggeration. Aki is definately the most visible leader in the team but in two games where there is very little at stake for us his full tilt approach is always going to stand out. We have got through his absences for Ireland or the v rare injury pretty well previously.

I would actually point to Carty as more core to the teams play. when plays well the whole team notably takes a step up (not unreasonable for an OH mind), more so than under any other outhalf we have had since McGinty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Confirmation that we're in the Heineken cup for next year :D

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-to-feature-in-24-team-heineken-champions-cup-for-2020-21/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    BeardySi wrote: »

Ya where we get four games against tier one teams. Certainly not the fairest format

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ya where we get four games against tier one teams. Certainly not the fairest format

It’s a terrible format

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over
    Ah its grand for what it is. When you go through the tiers and look at the teams in each one. Getting 4 games against good teams and having a shot at hauling ourselves into contention for a challenge cup parachute.

I'd say trying to avoid teams from the same league was a priority which is a good idea in theory since we'll be so sick of each other but will have to wait and see how covid restrictions play out

Note: I might have it totally wrong, only watched the video twice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    In the unlikely event I am understanding this correctly, domestic games cannot be repeated so it will be two home and away games against two top tier teams from England and France which are currently Exeter, Sale, Bordeaux and Lyon?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    In the unlikely event I am understanding this correctly, domestic games cannot be repeated so it will be two home and away games against two top tier teams from England and France which are currently Exeter, Sale, Bordeaux and Lyon?

That's my reading of
    It too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Pretty much right I made a small change to the wording of what you said to make it a bit clearer that we only play one of the top 2 teams from each league
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    so it will be two home and away games against one of the two top tier teams from England and one of the two top tier teams from France which are currently Exeter, Sale, Bordeaux and Lyon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

So based on the current standing assuming we're tier 4 and Exeter, Sale, Bordeaux, and Lyon are tier 1 from England and France the possible combinations are home and away games against:

1 Sale and Bordeaux
    2 Sale and Lyon
    3 Exeter and Bordeaux
    4 Exeter and Lyon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Connacht should absolutely be targeting at least one win against those either of those French sides, they’re well capable of it. wouldn’t dismiss their chances against Sale either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

I can't believe it's not Butler
    Will Connacht be ranked 3 or 4. If it’s on a combined table then it should be 3.
    Looking at the details it looks like you Tier 1 will only play Tier 1 and 4. Tier 2 will play 2 and 3. Being in Tier 3 could make a big difference.
    Although it’s about as clear as mud.

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Will Connacht be ranked 3 or 4. If it’s on a combined table then it should be 3.
    Looking at the details it looks like you Tier 1 will only play Tier 1 and 4. Tier 2 will play 2 and 3. Being in Tier 3 could make a big difference.

It's the same (if not better) to have Sale, Bordeaux and Lyon (Tier 1), rather than Bristol, Toulon, and Racing (Tier 2).

Very happy with this, and Challenge Cup to fight for at worse in the final rounds

• Subscribers Posts: 41,578 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »

Very happy with this, and Challenge Cup to fight for at worse in the final rounds

Only if you don't come in the bottom 4 of the 12 team pool...which is a very real possibility if your tier 4

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Only if you don't come in the bottom 4 of the 12 team pool...which is a very real possibility if your tier 4

I've said to fight for, not as sure thing.

As said above Tier 4 isn't bad.

I don't see any difference between Lyon (Tier 1) and Montpellier (Tier 4), or Sale (Tier 1) and Gloucester (Tier 4)
    It clearly doesn't matter. Tables after such a season mean very little (small margin between any in Top 8)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    BrokenMan wrote: »

Connacht will be tier 4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Boyle finishes the regular season as the league's top tackler with a 98.3% tackle success rate. Fair ****s, impressive stuff. Quickly becoming a very important player for us.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Boyle finishes the regular season as the league's top tackler with a 98.3% tackle success rate. Fair ****s, impressive stuff. Quickly becoming a very important player for us.

So with 10 tackles a game, it means he misses 1 tackle barely every 5 games:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Bazzo wrote: »

Phenomenal statistic.

Connacht will be tier 4

Confirmed that Connacht are Tier 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Confirmed that Connacht are Tier 3

Just saw this. Anyone know off heart who the possible opponents from England and France will now be?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement