Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,555 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    A poster above implied a lenghy ban as "a high tackle is a high tackle" .
    No.
    They are reds close to yellows (are even yellows sometimes for some refs)
    If Papali'i and Farrell undergo the same duration, that's insane.
    Wait and see

if thats aimed at me, i said no such thing. Papaili hit Murray with A shoulder/upper arm to the head. Its a stonewall red card.

IMO the time off thing needs to be chucked out the window in such cases. Papaili should get a 6 week ban and Farrell, should be seeing far more but thats not what will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

The minimum ban is six weeks. Since Papali'i has no priors (easy enough with no career to date), he'll get full remission and get a three week ban.

I'm not sure where Farrell fits into this.

How do weeks count now we're not in final phases?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

A poster above implied a lenghy ban as "a high tackle is a high tackle".
    No.
    They are reds close to yellows (are even yellows sometimes for some refs)
    If Papali'i and Farrell undergo the same duration, that's insane.
    Wait and see

I think the poster just said it was definitely a red, he’ll definitely get a reduction as it is first offence although I doubt it’s the last the disciplinary board will see of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    How do weeks count now we're not in final phases?

If he gets three weeks, he has to miss three matches.

Connacht will claim that he was always going to be playing for the Eagles and whatever Ail club he's registered to, and he'll miss zero games.

I'd be more worried about his next offence to be honest, this will count against him then.

These A games would have had been useful to adapt, but good to know he could play n°20 for the 1st game as I hope for..

We don't have to rest him any time, as he may face a 6weeks+ ban at some moment this season...

That's the main difficulty to come from XIII, lowering the position...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    salmocab wrote: »
    I think the poster just said it was definitely a red, he’ll definitely get a reduction as it is first offence although I doubt it’s the last the disciplinary board will see of him.

Do you think he's a dirty player or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Bazzo wrote: »
    Do you think he's a dirty player or something?

Not dirty as such but a combination of bad techniques and poor fitness would make me think things like that tackle whilst probably without malice are going to be happening more than rare occasions. The league background won’t help.

Mul, it's over
    salmocab wrote: »
    Not dirty as such but a combination of bad techniques and poor fitness would make me think things like that tackle whilst probably without malice are going to be happening more than rare occasions. The league background won’t help.

Yeah fair enough. I'll probably hold judgement until I see a bit more of him to be honest but he wouldn't be the first rugby league convert to have issues with his tackling technique and the new interpretations and his size won't make life easier for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Hard to watch Frank Murphy anymore. Every move is a penalty. He kills the fun in the game of rugby. His performance last weekend was simply shocking and again he destroys a game tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

While connachts performance was a realhorrowshow last weekend it does show how a referee can completely blow a game wide apart

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    While connachts performance was a realhorrowshow last weekend it does show how a referee can completely blow a game wide apart

The ref didn't put in a head high shot on Conor Murray, or an elbow into the face of Stander

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Won't lie here. Delighted for McFarland.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Actually think a bit of his red card v Munster was down to fatigue if you go to 25 mins in the link (22 in the game) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_YShtM4ZFHI and just watch papali until the sending off it’s clear he’s out on his feet.. he does have one more good carry that he was unlucky to get pinged for holding on but no second effort on the ground probably cause of fatigue.. even the play with the hit on Murray he’s about 5m behind Fitzgerald... would love to see him given the first 2-3 weeks of next season off or ease him in with ail, a games and bench appearances to maximise his potential

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    Hard to watch Frank Murphy anymore. Every move is a penalty. He kills the fun in the game of rugby. His performance last weekend was simply shocking and again he destroys a game tonight.

21 penalties in tonight's match. Not a particularly high total at all and could have been higher. Edinburgh's discipline was brutal and most were clear penalties. He let a lot go. The poor handling was the biggest hindrance to the game tonight.

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Actually think a bit of his red card v Munster was down to fatigue if you go to 25 mins in the link (22 in the game) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_YShtM4ZFHI and just watch papali until the sending off it’s clear he’s out on his feet.. he does have one more good carry that he was unlucky to get pinged for holding on but no second effort on the ground probably cause of fatigue.. even the play with the hit on Murray he’s about 5m behind Fitzgerald... would love to see him given the first 2-3 weeks of next season off or ease him in with ail, a games and bench appearances to maximise his potential

10 cm too high, maybe because of being tired but gosh that tackle clearing Murray AND 100Kg Farrell in the same time was impressive...
    Head-to-head with Stander fulfilled my expectations too

Papali'i will make us lose games, and win others. It's a bet. He has to prove we'll get on the good side of the coin often

Mul, it's over
    than

10 cm too high, maybe because of being tired but gosh that tackle clearing Murray AND 100Kg Farrell in the same time was impressive...

There is nothing impressive about a head shot

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    The tackle causing a red card and a likely suspension was impressive. :pac:

I've never said illegal tackling is good and you know it
    I've said the physicality in it was great, and at first sight that's what the commentators said

Mul, it's over
    I've never said illegal tackling is good and you know it
    I've said the physicality in it was great, and at first sight that's what the commentators said

Physicality is great if its used properly. If its a head shot, its not great physicality. It's piss poor play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Head-to-head with Stander fulfilled my expectations too

Papali'i will make us lose games, and win others. It's a bet. He has to prove we'll get on the good side of the coin often

I get the point you're trying to make but it's hard to judge the outcome of the physicality without taking into account the illegality of the tackle. If I recall correctly a lot of the reason Farrell went down as well as Murray was due to the impact of Murray falling back into him as a result of the challenge. I know your counter to this is that it was the physicality of Papali'is challenge that caused Murray to fall but we can't say for certain that Murray would have fallen in the same way had the challenge been legal.

It's great that you are excited by Papali'i and there were definitely some glimpses in the game that showed that he has promise but I don't think a red card tackle should be one of them

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,578 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone

Have we just time travelled back ten years to where uncontrolled high hits on players heads were seen as a thing to admire??

b.gud wrote: »
    I get the point you're trying to make but it's hard to judge the outcome of the physicality without taking into account the illegality of the tackle. If I recall correctly a lot of the reason Farrell went down as well as Murray was due to the impact of Murray falling back into him as a result of the challenge. I know your counter to this is that it was the physicality of Papali'is challenge that caused Murray to fall but we can't say for certain that Murray would have fallen in the same way had the challenge been legal.

It's great that you are excited by Papali'i and there were definitely some glimpses in the game that showed that he has promise but I don't think a red card tackle should be one of them

:) I agree perfectly with this ponderate stance. I do think Murray and Farrell fall would have been the same with a tackle 10 cm lower, but I can't be sure it would have been 100% that impressive.

I quoted the face-to-face with Stander Papali'i won, which is, we can all agree, a great sign about his physicality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭JohnniDrama

The game has moved on so much now we don’t want to see those types of incidents anymore. From anyone.

I feel the intent was a big, clean hit and he made a ****e of it and saw the right card. And a ban is fair. I am sure some attention to the details will fix this going forward for him.

It was also nice to read he sought out Murray after the game and apologised personally about it.

Other fans suggestIng it was more dirty and sinister are wide of the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    The ref didn't put in a head high shot on Conor Murray, or an elbow into the face of Stander

I know Stander has a big jaw, but it doesn't actually cover his neck, where Delahunt elbowed him. It was several inches below his face, and Murphy actually suggested to the TMO that initial contact was to the chest. The TMO disagreed. Neither thought it was to the face, though, so we can be thankful they have better eyesight than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    When is the new gear out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

gally74 wrote: »
    When is the new gear out ?

I thought it would be quite soon.

Mul, it's over
    Still no word on Papali'i and Delahunt? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bazzo wrote: »
    Still no word on Papali'i and Delahunt? :confused:

No fixtures so they just might have not bothered doing a citing commission yet. Might be one after the final maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

No fixtures so they just might have not bothered doing a citing commission yet. Might be one after the final maybe.

There's A games on the 19th and 26th so it would be handy if they counted towards any potential bans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There's A games on the 19th and 26th so it would be handy if they counted towards any potential bans.

I don't know if those games would be counted or just seen as exhibition games/friendlies in that respect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement