Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Seriously though, have you forgotten about having this conversation, in the place, with the same people, a couple of months ago?

I believe that conversation was slightly different because he also accused Connacht's S&C team of being incompetent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Mul, it's over
    I does make you think about what some of the 7s players could do playing for the provinces now that they've been exposed to playing at an elite level. Maybe it didn't work out when they were in provincial academies for whatever reason, but looking at the difference it made to Baloucoune's and Barry Daly's careers it makes you wonder how a few of them would get on now if they were given another crack. Billy Dardis and Jack Kelly as fullbacks spring to mind, but there are others as well.

Of course there are some who prefer 7s and don't really want to go back to 15s, like Harry McNulty and seemingly Conroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Connacht facing Glasgow to open

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

connachta wrote: »
    Connacht facing Glasgow to open

Where did you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    lenny4545 wrote: »
    Where did you see that?

https://twitter.com/simonrug/status/1308505359980605441?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

OP: Jordan Conroy should be given a chance. Particularly by Connacht because they are the weakest.

Jordan Conroy was given a chance by Connacht he was part of the set up for two years ago. And while doing well, very well at Buccs, was not deemed there by Connacht staff.

OP: Ya, but what about his 7s escapades?

Conroy was already an Ireland's star 7s player for over two years when his time with Connacht ended. In fact he was a 7s international before even joining Connacht.

The "Conroy is better at 7s than Porch" is redundant. Porch is better at 15s rugby than Conroy. This was proven when you compare. . . them playing 15s rugby. Conroy played games for Connacht, albeit As, in XV was not deemed a shoe in for professional XV rugby, John Porch was. Simple. Both given plenty of games.

Conroy wasn't going to be a senior player, so he made the choice. . . play with Buccs, a few A games, an academy contract at 24, etc or travel the world as a superstar 7s player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

OP: Jordan Conroy should be given a chance. Particularly by Connacht because they are the weakest.

Jordan Conroy was given a chance by Connacht he was part of the set up for two years ago. And while doing well, very well at Buccs, was not deemed there by Connacht staff.

Conroy was already an Ireland's star 7s player for over two years when his time with Connacht ended. In fact he was a 7s international before even joining Connacht.

The "Conroy is better at 7s than Porch" is redundant. Porch is better at 15s rugby than Conroy. This was proven when you compare. . . them playing 15s rugby. Conroy played games for Connacht, albeit As, in XV was not deemed a shoe in for professional XV rugby, John Porch was. Simple. Both given plenty of games.

Conroy wasn't going to be a senior player, so he made the choice. . . play with Buccs, a few A games, an academy contract at 24, etc or travel the world as a superstar 7s player.

Like i said to the other poster you'll never convince me its whats best for Irish rugby. Luckily Leinster boxed a bit smarter with Keenan. I hope Conroy gets a shot somewhere if he wants to play 15s. If not fair play to him he's living the dream. Connacht should be about giving the best young Irish players a shot. I mean if Connacht aren't going to compete for the big signings. Luckily they seem to be going down this path consistently if we look at the signings of Arnold and the others.

Porch hasn't proved anything yet. He has a long way to go. he was very good but lets see how he does this year. If he can do it for a couple of seasons consistently then fantastic.

I mean maybe we can get a full back three of aussies 7's players

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Like i said to the other poster you'll never convince me its whats best for Irish rugby. Luckily Leinster boxed a bit smarter with Keenan. I hope Conroy gets a shot somewhere if he wants to play 15s. If not fair play to him he's living the dream. Connacht should be about giving the best young Irish players a shot. I mean if Connacht aren't going to compete for the big signings. Luckily they seem to be going down this path consistently if we look at the signings of Arnold and the others.

Porch hasn't proved anything yet. He has a long way to go. he was very good but lets see how he does this year. If he can do it for a couple of seasons consistently then fantastic.

Porch has been good ANY time he played except 1 YC

If there's one player I trust it's him

Say this about Wootton (defence) if you want, but not John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

4th time in 5 seasons to open at home to Glasgow I think

• Advertisement

Luckily Leinster boxed a bit smarter with Keenan. I hope Conroy gets a shot somewhere if he wants to play 15s.

Are you trolling now? Jordan Conroy was an Irish 7s international. The best in the country. Connacht recognised this. He was brought in and part of the Connacht set up for two years. They did not feel him good enough at that point for a professional contract.
    Connacht should be about giving the best young Irish players a shot.

Like Conroy who's 27 before the end of the season. Thankfully Conroy was already given a shot, when he was in his early 20s by Connacht.
    Porch hasn't proved anything yet.

He has proven he can make more of an impact at Connacht rugby than Jordan Conroy did in a year.

It depends. If there is potential seen at XVs seen, why not give them a shot. Although I would hope we would give opportunities to Connacht based 7s players first. Similar to the one Connacht gave to Jordan Conroy, after he impressed as an Ireland's 7s international, and joined Connacht for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

4 tries in 2 A games that Connacht were trounced in but let’s brush that under the carpet.. anyway connachy v Munster this week expect to see a lot more senior players playing than last week should be a good game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Lucas44 wrote: »
    4 tries in 2 A games that Connacht were trounced in but let’s brush that under the carpet.. anyway connachy v Munster this week expect to see a lot more senior players playing than last week should be a good game

Tries are meaningless without context, how many tries was he directly responsible for conceding for example?

Are you trolling now? Jordan Conroy was an Irish 7s international. The best in the country. Connacht recognised this. He was brought in and part of the Connacht set up for two years. They did not feel him good enough at that point for a professional contract.

Like Conroy who's 27 before the end of the season. Thankfully Conroy was already given a shot, when he was in his early 20s by Connacht.

He has proven he can make more of an impact at Connacht rugby than Jordan Conroy did in a year.

It depends. If there is potential seen at XVs seen, why not give them a shot. Although I would hope we would give opportunities to Connacht based 7s players first. Similar to the one Connacht gave to Jordan Conroy, after he impressed as an Ireland's 7s international, and joined Connacht for 2 years.

I think you're getting your timelines mixed up. the two things came pretty simultaneously particularly after starring for Buccs. And no i wouldn't say two games is given a chance. anyway Connachts loss much like some of the lads doing ok after being released. I hope Niyi does well.

I just find it funny how we decry the lack of things like natural speed, natural strength in Irish rugby.

Sexton up north will end up on a similar path i'd imagine. and we'll continue prioritizing "detail" over natural talent and then bemoan the lack of natural talent ad infinitum. and then import more Ben O'Donnells.

Sorry i just don't get it. Again luckily Ulster persisted with Baloucoune with similar background in lower level, then sevens/academy spot and people questioning his defence. Keenan with Leinster was taken back.

Anyway i only mentioned it cause of the World team award, lets park that i apologize to the people offended that i brought it up again. We must never mention him again, pff he's crap. OR maybe in a Connacht rugby thread its possible to recognise Connacht talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    I don’t see the relevance of the opportunities Jordan Conroy got/didn’t get to John Porch or Ben O’Donnell.

Porch has been very good in pretty much every game he has played, excellent signing so far. Ben O’Donnell hasn’t played yet.

Some people think Conroy should have got more of an opportunity, fair enough. Some people think he likely got enough opportunity, fair enough. Either way he’s a couple of years gone now so there isn’t much point in multi page argument over it.

If there was currently young players who posters thought weren’t getting an opportunity that would be interesting but arguing over someone who left a couple of years ago really isn’t.

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Tries are meaningless without context, how many tries was he directly responsible for conceding for example?

Your right defence doesn’t look great but tackling is something than can be worked on not sure finishing/pace can be

https://youtu.be/1PUpxYklao0

I think you're getting your timelines mixed up. the two things came pretty simultaneously particularly after starring for Buccs. And no i wouldn't say two games is given a chance. anyway Connachts loss much like some of the lads doing ok after being released. I hope Niyi does well.

Nope, he was a 7s player after his performances with Tullamore. And was well involved with 7s when he joined Buccs and Connacht set up.

Anyway i only mentioned it cause of the World team award, lets park that i apologize to the people offended that i brought it up again. We must never mention him again, pff he's crap. OR maybe in a Connacht rugby thread its possible to recognise Connacht talent.

Absolutely no one said he was crap. No one. In fact the post you quoted recognises him as our best 7s player. But you've ignored that to straw man again.

Being a great 7s player does not translate to being a great XVs player.

Nope, he was a 7s player after his performances with Tullamore. And was well involved with 7s when he joined Buccs and Connacht set up.

Absolutely no one said he was crap. No one. In fact the post you quoted recognises him as our best 7s player. But you've ignored that to straw man again.

Being a great 7s player does not translate to being a great XVs player.

you're doing it though as well..i never said that either nobody is. i mean lets be honest the bar of pro rugby player in this country isn't too high if one is willing to work hard enough, there's numerous factors.. nobody needs to be great.

look if you think it was a fair crack of the whip great. his defence in that clip is shocking but his attacking ability is outstanding. I suppose the former is more important at the top level as the inches are much tighter.

i'll leave it at that he wasn't good enough or turned down a deal. who knows.

Look forward to seeing him on the sevens in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭JohnniDrama

I think it’s great to see where he is now. He is a 7s superstar. On the global stage.

So awesome for him. He is our first ever 7s poster boy.

Some younger guys are going to look at him at say, ‘I want to be him....It’s a more fun game...I get to travel, etc, etc’.

It’s fantastic.

I think it’s great to see where he is now. He is a 7s superstar. On the global stage.

So awesome for him. He is our first ever 7s poster boy.

Some younger guys are going to look at him at say, ‘I want to be him....It’s a more fun game...I get to travel, etc, etc’.

It’s fantastic.

A shame he isn’t being rewarded with a bigger contract off the irfu.. one of the best 7s players in the world atm and earning 20-25k a year hardly seems fair and will turn a lot of younger players off will expect the budget for 7s to grow in the future unfortunately for conroy he came too early

• Advertisement

Same for Munster.
    Worth a look on the promised homemade coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Should be a great game based on those teams. Wish I could record it as have something on during the day tomorrow.

Anyone know of a way of watching it back?

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Should be a great game based on those teams. Wish I could record it as have something on during the day tomorrow.

Anyone know of a way of watching it back?

will be much easier than official games IMO

The first round last week is on youtube for exemple

If they give Heffernan an injury we're in a diffucult position, that's a risk Friends has had...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

will be much easier than official games IMO

The first round last week is on youtube for exemple

If they give Heffernan an injury we're in a diffucult position, that's a risk Friends has had...

Cheers, good to hear. Will try and find it on youtube for an evening viewing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭JohnniDrama

No Sean O’Brien is a real shame so far. Hopefully they are just taking extra time a la Levy.

We really need him fit and firing.

No Gallagher at all. Is he injured? Again?

No Sean O’Brien is a real shame so far. Hopefully they are just taking extra time a la Levy.

We really need him fit and firing.

No Gallagher at all. Is he injured? Again?

+ Dowling who's supposed to be fit again too

3 puzzlers...

The fact that neither Delahunt nor Papali'i play in either of the two Eagles matches, even on the bench, make me doubt about at least one of them finally counted as meaningful game..

Only other explaination would be Friend introducing them in the October Eagles games, and really want to give gametime to those playing opener next week. But if we lose Heff tomorrow..

Cardiff and Llanelli under lockdown again.
    Unlikely we go there in 15 days..
    Let's enjoy the game vs Munster this afternoon and Glasgow, we have no idea if there will be others :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Cardiff and Llanelli under lockdown again.
    Unlikely we go there in 15 days..
    Let's enjoy the game vs Munster this afternoon and Glasgow, we have no idea if there will be others :(

Exemption in place for elite sports

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement