Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

I was suprised when Leinster didnt pick him up, i think he got a couple injuries at the wrong times and that ruled him out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Connacht are putting together the guts of a very good team may be a few years off but theyve got a ton of talent:

Oising Dowling
    Conor oliver
    Paul Boyle
    Niall murray
    Cillian Gallagher
    Sean O'brien
    Sean Masterson
    Jack Aungier
    Jordan Duggan
    Cian Prendergast
    Ciaran Booth
    Charlie Ward
    Tierney Martin

All those guys in the pack could be very good, Sean O'brien already very good but thought id include him anyway - whats happening with him injury wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Connacht are putting together the guts of a very good team may be a few years off but theyve got a ton of talent:

Oising Dowling
    Conor oliver
    Paul Boyle
    Niall murray
    Cillian Gallagher
    Sean O'brien
    Sean Masterson
    Jack Aungier
    Jordan Duggan
    Cian Prendergast
    Ciaran Booth
    Charlie Ward
    Tierney Martin

All those guys in the pack could be very good, Sean O'brien already very good but thought id include him anyway - whats happening with him injury wise?

On his way back but no date yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭JohnniDrama

What do people think on the idea / potential of Dillane playing 6?

Just curious.

Good line out and can carry. What about the other aspects?

He is athletic enough. I suppose is he a good enough footballer for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Think he's played a few games there. Biggest issue I have with Dillane is he seems to take the ball into contact quite high and often standing rather than moving onto the ball with momentum. He's a destructive carrier when he gets it right which is sought in a 6 but he often gets it wrong too.

I think a fully fit SOB is our best option there if he can come back strong. Both Mastersons and Dowling are also options there so don't see a huge need for him to be moved out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

He played there a few times with Corinthians. But not with Connacht, beyond a few cameos based on replacements.

I believe he has been named to start there twice, once against Scarlets, but moved back to second row due to late injuries.

freyners wrote: »
    Think he's played a few games there. Biggest issue I have with Dillane is he seems to take the ball into contact quite high and often standing rather than moving onto the ball with momentum. He's a destructive carrier when he gets it right which is sought in a 6 but he often gets it wrong too.

I think a fully fit SOB is our best option there if he can come back strong. Both Mastersons and Dowling are also options there so don't see a huge need for him to be moved out

Yeah I am a huge fan of SOB also, but his injury profile has been worrying. I really hope it is all behind him now.

I just wonder with Roux and Thornbury there, Niall Murray coming into the squad more and his even taller brother coming behind, it might be a nice option to have.

I think he has been coached to carry higher because he produces that rare explosive power we don’t easily see. Now some good defences can be ready for him, but most times he is a handful to stop and rarely gets turned over.

I just wonder is his footballing good enough.

A back 5 of Thornbury, Roux, Dillane, Papali’i and Butler is quite interesting to me!

Assuming all fit and disciplined of course!!!!!

He played there a few times with Corinthians. But not with Connacht, beyond a few cameos based on replacements.

I believe he has been named to start there twice, once against Scarlets, but moved back to second row due to late injuries.

Shame we haven’t seen it.

Niall Murray injured his shoulder. facing time out and possible surgery.

Real shame.

I don't get it are we Tier 3 or 4?

IT said 4 this morning. It was said the opposite before...

• Advertisement

connachta wrote: »
    I don't get it are we Tier 3 or 4?

IT said 4 this morning. It was said the opposite before...

Pro 14 announced that we are Tier 3 because we had more points than Glasgow and Dragons.
    I'd trust them over the Thornley. He's a very good journalist talking about things on the pitch. I've seen plenty of mistakes relating to facts off of the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    On the injury front, 20-year-old lock Niall Murray is facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines after damaging his shoulder. Carolan described it as “quite a serious” injury which is likely to require surgery.

Big blow that he was improving all the time

https://www.the42.ie/bundee-aki-like-a-man-possessed-as-connacht-target-back-to-back-wins-5225904-Oct2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Not good, down to three fit senior locks already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Balls, absolutely gutted for Murray who was coming on really nicely. The wording of that doesn't seem good at all, hopefully he has a speedy recovery.

Not good, down to three fit senior locks already.

3 who can be selected... Hopefully no more than 1 with Ireland..

Gallagher is back before Round 3, relieving..

If Dowling struggles to get back fit, we'll have either Papali'i or SOB to slot in in November/December/February

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

im looking for updates on Andy Friend's contract.
    His coaching team got an extension in Jan -19 to extend to the end of 2020-21.
    Is that the latest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    im looking for updates on Andy Friend's contract.
    His coaching team got an extension in Jan -19 to extend to the end of 2020-21.
    Is that the latest?

He's in the final year of his original 3 year deal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Thanks.
    And please tell me he has said he wants to live in Ireland 4eva&eva

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Times has Heffernan, Bealham, Dillane, Marmion, Carry and Aki in the possible Ireland squad. We'll find out for definite tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    b.gud wrote: »
    Times has Heffernan, Bealham, Dillane, Marmion, Carry and Aki in the possible Ireland squad. We'll find out for definite tomorrow

That would be great. It would leave Connacht very stretched and there has been a a considerable difference between Connacht with internationals and Connacht without them over the last season or so. But it’s a different squad this season so hopefully performances would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

Murray Kinsella is saying Cooney misses out completely with Marmion and possibly Gibson-Park, it still rankles with me that Schmidt omitted Marmion in the World Cup. Anyone else see that tackle he made in the 2nd half of the Glasgow game, he nailed the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

1000 posts, must of taken 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

typhoony wrote: »
    Murray Kinsella is saying Cooney misses out completely with Marmion and possibly Gibson-Park, it still rankles with me that Schmidt omitted Marmion in the World Cup. Anyone else see that tackle he made in the 2nd half of the Glasgow game, he nailed the guy.

And his maul defence !

Heff
    Delahunt
    Bealham
    Aungier/McCoy
    Carty
    Fitzgerald
    Aki
    Arnold/Robb/Daly

Everyone can have his own opinion

Then, consequences on the bench

Delahunt ---- Murphy
    Fitzgerald
    Dean
    Dillane
    Gallagher (Roux/Thornbury so not many consequences on the starting pairing)

Mul, it's over
    typhoony wrote: »

Same, he got screwed, very bad call. Marmion should be starting 9 based on current form. If Farrell persists with Murray, that will be a bad sign for the future of his tenure.

Mul, it's over
    Cillian Gallagher, Oisin Dowling & Sean O’Brien all back training this week according to Craggy Rugby. Interesting too that Connacht have chartered flight (due to Covid) so are in and out in one day as opposed to the norm where they travel to Dublin day before game then on to Bristol and on to Cardiff.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Cillian Gallagher, Oisin Dowling & Sean O’Brien all back training this week according to Craggy Rugby. Interesting too that Connacht have chartered flight (due to Covid) so are in and out in one day as opposed to the norm where they travel to Dublin day before game then on to Bristol and on to Cardiff.

So good to be safe for locks again (based on Farrell picking one of us only)

Thornbury/Roux, then 3 choices for the bench (in the order you wrote them IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH

They were 5/6 right. Quinn Roux instead of Dillane was the one they had missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Ya. Happy for Roux but surprised it wasn't Dillane. I'm wondering if lads aren't involved in a given match day squad will they be released to us? Or is that much harder now with Covid. Have to say that all bar Roux and maybe Finlay have a great shout of making the 23

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement