Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    I don't know about the other two games but Connacht rocked up to Leinster with a squad of about 25 fit players. They had no chance of anything but a hammering that day.

That’s true and Ulster was similarish I think but away performances have been a problem for at least a year now. Awful performance away to Scarlets in first away fixture last year too, lost by 8 to their second team.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Mul, it's over
    Does anyone know if Jack was injured or was it a tactical substitution?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    Let's not be too harsh. The errors killed us, not the ability of the team

I'd say the opposite.
    Not that mich knock ons, or missed tackles (except two horrible ones leading to the tries)

but major difficulties to feed the rucks, offensive or defensive, rush defence not organized (just kamikazi player), and scrumble moves not fast enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Does anyone know if Jack was injured or was it a tactical substitution?

From my limited Irish the commentary seemed to be asking the same question. I think it may have been a pre planned change to give fitz some game time before whack is away at Ireland camp. I think with the game as it was I would have left Jack where he was for another while. We seemed to be well on top at that stage.

I rate him very highly but Fitz never got to the pitch of it tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭JohnniDrama

Well that was very poor.

Same old bad away habits.

Slow start.
    Poor leadership.
    Narrow defence.
    Some very passive tackles.

Hard to see what they are trying to achieve in games sometimes in attack.

Few players really struggling for form.

Bit of a collective failure tonight.

• Advertisement

Butler disappointing
    But Aungier, Roux, Oliver, did the job I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Was informed I had prior engagements and would be missing the match earlier in the week. Looks like that might have been for the best...

testtech05 wrote: »
    Did they travel over today I think I saw somewhere? If so could that have some effect maybe?

It's been a bad performance either way not offering it as an excuse but they have looked tired from early on.

Must have as I saw Friend out walking yesterday at 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Must have as I saw Friend out walking yesterday at 6pm

Flew from Dublin yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Flew from Dublin yesterday morning.

They must have been late home last night so but Andy was out on the prom again this morning at shortly after 10am.

Hopefully they can sort out some of the more obvious and hopefully easier fixed issues over the break before Edinburgh now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Ultan Dillane called into the Ireland squad to replace Ryan Baird. Leaves Gavin Thornbury as the only fit senior lock with the squad, Cian Prendergast and Darragh Murray are the academy options. I don’t think the IRFU have clarified whether or not players will be released for provincial duty during the international window, if not we’re probably looking at Eoghan Masterson in the row in Edinburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ultan Dillane called into the Ireland squad to replace Ryan Baird. Leaves Gavin Thornbury as the only fit senior lock with the squad, Cian Prendergast and Darragh Murray are the academy options. I don’t think the IRFU have clarified whether or not players will be released for provincial duty during the international window, if not we’re probably looking at Eoghan Masterson in the row in Edinburgh.

Ireland squad are in a bubble for the next few weeks, doubt very much anyone will be released unless management are sure they won't be bringing them back in.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Ireland squad are in a bubble for the next few weeks, doubt very much anyone will be released unless management are sure they won't be bringing them back in.

I would imagine you are correct. We’re going to be up against it for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    I would imagine you are correct. We’re going to be up against it for the next while.

Bubble for 6n then a short break before a bubble for the November games.

Minimal family visits, no media visit at all, all on zoom

Staff who are on 4 day week all summer and need to be on site are there 24/7 too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Could do with Dowling getting game fit soon. Is there any other locks at other provinces not getting any game time at the moment ? A loan deal will be needed as Masterson is only a stopgap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    First of all: delighted for Dillane, well deserved.

Second of all: ****. Would have to think they're frantically searching for a medical joker? Having a fairly injury-prone Thornbury, Masterson who can just about do a job in a pinch, and 2 20 year old academy lads as the only second row cover is a bit of a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    This season could get ugly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Charlie Ryan on a short term deal from Leinster would make sense for both parties. Leinster have Fardy, Toner, Molony and Dunne all available to them for this period. Though, I’d be surprised if they allowed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,675 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Molony would be a good shout I'd imagine if Leinster were willing to let him go on a 3 month joker contract.

Charlie Ryan's the same age as Niall Murray so not sure if it'd be worth taking an uncapped young lad on short cover

Hey guys. Gallagher, our most promising lock before Murray-mania, you remember :)
    we're short, but still (just) ok.
    Dillane may come back after the 2 first games. And Papali'i is 1m92 115kg, he can wear n°19 as much as n°20 for 1 or 2 games

• Advertisement

Hype710 wrote: »
    Charlie Ryan on a short term deal from Leinster would make sense for both parties. Leinster have Fardy, Toner, Molony and Dunne all available to them for this period. Though, I’d be surprised if they allowed it.

Ya they got fairly burned losing Salanoa and Angier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Mul, it's over
    Molony would be a good shout I'd imagine if Leinster were willing to let him go on a 3 month joker contract.

Charlie Ryan's the same age as Niall Murray so not sure if it'd be worth taking an uncapped young lad on short cover

You'd have to say, based on how the season is shaping up, that Leinster are one player heavy in the second row. It's a bit like that time Ian Nagle left on loan to go to Ulster because there wasn't enough gametime to go around.

Molony is a player who could have a future with Leinster beyond the current season, and he's still on an upward trajectory. With his lineout expertise, he could be an important player when Toner finishes up (which won't be for another two or three seasons hopefully). If he goes on loan he might never come back - like what happened with Cooney and Roux.

I would prefer if it was Fardy going on loan. Won't happen, of course.

connachta wrote: »
    Hey guys. Gallagher, our most promising lock before Murray-mania, you remember :)
    we're short, but still (just) ok.
    Dillane may come back after the 2 first games. And Papali'i is 1m92 115kg, he can wear n°19 as much as n°20 for 1 or 2 games

Gallagher is injured. Last injury report said he’s aiming to return to training at the end of this month which means it will be well into November (at least) before we see him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭JohnniDrama

If we are any way serious about the season, we need a 3 month signing who can go straight into a match day 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    If we are any way serious about the season, we need a 3 month signing who can go straight into a match day 23.

In fairness with very little money coming in I would say the money probably isn't there for a signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Adeolokun and Heenan on the bench for Bristol in the Challenge cup final tomorrow. Would be delighted for all involved if they won

Bristol played well but I still think there's more room to win than vs Bath. Hope we draw them, welcoming Pat aside

Same for Toulon instead of Racing. If Racing win t'morrow, we have Lyon or Toulon and we can definitely make a coup to qualify for QF!

How many players have Edinburgh lost to the national team this week? Hopefully we can manage with the second row issues and get a win. I assume it will be Masterson paired with Thornbury.It would be great to have SOB fit to come off the bench in the row.
    I think we might see Angier start at 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Connacht Rugby are assisting an academy player who has tested positive for COVID-19.

The player, who is asymptomatic, was a close contact of a positive case and has been self-isolating since last Wednesday.

All other PCR tests carried out on Connacht Rugby players and staff this week were negative and training resumed today (Tuesday).

One academy player has been identified as a close contact and he will continue to self-isolate.

The HSE has been informed in accordance with public health guidelines.

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/covid-19-squad-update-20th-october-2020/?fbclid=IwAR1qOh-DR0kvt9sPQdUVPqXZUy1bJy0IeE-gpurh0Ry-uqZIvWWlsbrKqg0

• Advertisement

Papal'i as 2nd row, on the bench
    My bet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement