Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

What a kick from Daly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Tom Daly done a great job at 10 in the circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    Great win for Connacht, 1-5 in points is a fantastic return. Nice bounce back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    With an unprecedented amount of Ireland callups and injuries to key positions that is an incredible result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Mul, it's over
    Tasty win :)

• Advertisement

And performance. Connacht worth the win completely.

Great game to watch, some lovely scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Great game to watch. Away win with the bonus can't argue with that tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BigRigsOnly

Huge win loads of positives

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Don't really know how conferences work this season but Edinburgh are in Connachts so good to deny them second bonus point.
    Best away performance in a long long time. Harsh on Marmion that his place is now under pressure after being selected for Ireland, Blade outstanding though, a good problem to have.

Have to admit Papailli has made a much bigger impact than I thought he would. Tom Daly very good at 10, Porch and Wooton likewise in the back three. Lineout about the only negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Ireland should take a leaf out of connachts book next week....

Brilliant performance all round

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Great result. Only saw the last 20 but looked a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

That performance ranks up there with the best ever. Only one experienced second row, no out-half on the bench, our only out-half gets injured and then they score 4 more trys in spite of all that.

Blade, Porch, Papalli, Farrell, Wooton, Delahunt, Thornbury, Masterson among the best. But everybody was brilliant and Prendergast and Reilly got gametime.

But Tom Daly for me was unbelievable. He was absolutely brilliant in an emergency situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Not another Toh injury. Looking at him limping at the end of the game and just getting fed up with. I know he is a pure Connacht lad but I'm a bit fed up with his constant injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    1320468968277233664Lads im not one for overhyping things but i think after tonight we are definitely going to win the champions cup

Edit, Confirmedhttps://twitter.com/craggyrugbypod/status/1320468968277233664

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    Not another Toh injury. Looking at him limping at the end of the game and just getting fed up with. I know he is a pure Connacht lad but I'm a bit fed up with his constant injuries

This post barely makes an ouncer sense

The Friend Zone
    Papa looks like the answers to our bally carrying prayers, needs some more conditioning but my god his carrying AND his defense are promising

Blade huge game. First time I can say he managed a game rather than tried to force and it worked wonders. Vision for his try superb and his kicking will have marmo under pressure.

Masterson and Thornbury huge games outside of some lineout hiccups. However as said player of the game for me was daly. Managed the game v well outside of Blade and his kicking is massively impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Mul, it's over
    ElisaAtWar wrote: »

I'm sure he is far more fed up

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

I remember Connacht getting a shock win at Murrayfield in 2014 by a point in what felt like a big turning point for the province, and then getting a great BP win the next year when they won the league. Last few years they have really struggled in Edinburgh so fantastic to see another memorable win tonight.
    9 points from those 3 fixtures is very decent and Cardiff game can be put aside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭JohnniDrama

Great win. (Feel that is what should have happened at Cardiff).

Daly motm for me. Hugely impressive.

Masterson outstanding too.

Papali’i encouraging. His first carry, I thought he killed the guy!

They closed the game out well.

Really lazy analysis from Hamilton. Thought Connacht were just a team of grafters based on Galway being wet and windy

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    Really lazy analysis from Hamilton. Thought Connacht were just a team of grafters based on Galway being wet and windy

I actually thought he was pretty decent. Knew about the lock situation, said we preferred to play the game at tempo and had his analysis sharp on Porch, Blade, Masterson and Buckley for example

Most Irish pundits also do the wet and windy Galway thing so its not an uncommon thing to hear (hello indo journalists in particular)

Re Hamilton. He was no more worse than most Irish journalists!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over

Was watching on a poor enough stream so switched off after final whistle, anyone elaborate on what was said? Also how on Earth Daly wasnt man of the match?

I dont mind Hanilton on the rugby podcast but he seems like someone whose analysis would be 'simple' like that alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Hamilton was far superior than the likes of Liam Toland....it was way better listening to scottish commentary

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Just a thought on leadership this match.

When I say it, it’s never about the captaincy, but players stepping up, leading the way.

I thought it was very poor generally against Cardiff but today, it was very different.

Masterson, Boyle, Blade, Daly, Porch really took control and led the charge.

Encouraging.

freyners wrote: »
    I actually thought he was pretty decent. Knew about the lock situation, said we preferred to play the game at tempo and had his analysis sharp on Porch, Blade, Masterson and Buckley for example

Most Irish pundits also do the wet and windy Galway thing so its not an uncommon thing to hear (hello indo journalists in particular)

Yeah fair enough I did think he was decent overall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Bazzo wrote: »
    This post barely makes an ouncer sense

Good one Bazzo. I enjoyed that one😀

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Dean and Sullivan if Fitz and TOH/Arnold aren't 100% next week

no more casualties AFAIK

I like the way we played. Was looking a 4-try losing bonus.
    But thanks to the 5th, we got 5-point win!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Nobody believed me when I said Papali'i was a great profile for us as 8
    In July I've watched all the available XIII games he played in and don't regret it
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Apologies for the copious posting but I'm so impressed by that win given the absentees.

I think Daly's showing tonight could be so crucial next weekend. For a break-glass outhalf he was absolutely outstanding. He kicked pressure scores, made some absolutely brilliant clearance kicks (one of which found touch in the Embra 22 iirc near the end) and as usual was tackling all night long.

We'll get no favours in all likelihood for the second row situation in the foreseeable so the lineouts could be an issue again next week but after a few wobblies they're sorted it out. They also kept scrums to a minimum against Schoeman, which to me was the winning of the match.

I haven't been this happy after an away win in a long time. Between lads like Porchy, Wooton, Blade, "Big Papa" (please make this catch on) and Farrell there's lot of great "heads up" players that make it fun to watch matches. Rugby is so much more than a decent box kick (which Blade was very good at btw).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement