Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Racing offside at the end their, Barnes had the whistle in his mouth and decided against it saying ball was out, it wasn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Disappointing that TOH got done for pace fresh off the bench. Might have been better to try and gather the ball. Ifs and buts tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

You've got a Friend in me
    i think if you told Friend going into this game they’d pick up a match point he’d take it every time. lots to be pleased with in that performance.

Boyle a real standout again. they’re going to have to make space for him in that Irish back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Who ended up man of the match? Dillane was immense.

Buckley also put in another great shift, and I was really impressed with some of the young forwards off the bench: Duggan, Aungier, Prendergast all did very well, exciting for the future.

Edit: how could I forgot Paul Boyle? Hero

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Connacht are better coached than Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

You've got a Friend in me
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Who ended up man of the match? Dillane was immense.

Buckley also put in another great shift, and I was really impressed with some of the young forwards off the bench: Duggan, Aungier, Prendergast all did very well, exciting for the future.

Vakatawa i think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Great second half effort in fairness. I think TOH would have won that sprint a couple of years ago.

Would have been happy with the LBP before kick off though.

TRC10 wrote: »

I genuinely think Friend will be in with a shout for Ireland job whenever that may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

TRC10 wrote: »

Most teams are better coached than Ireland at the moment sadly. Hopefully that situation will change some time before the next world cup but that's for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Comebacks like that really make me wonder why teams don't still kick points when they fall behind. Better than going down the line and coming away with nothing.

Racing were dangerous throughout and deserved the win, but impressed by Connacht

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

That was a performance to treasure. A lot of young lads who just performed so well. Boyle again, Ultan, I thought Porch was defensively and attackingly excellent. If the lineout had worked the result could have been different but it still was some result. Go Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

We can and should be very proud of our boys

20 y-o Prendergast played 28m of pro rugby before this game. He was absolutely marvellous
    E.Masterson played like he was a 2ndrow
    Oliver played like our injured captain
    Heffernan played like a man on the 23 of a RWC teamsheet
    Porch played like our natural FB

This team was due to lose heavy. They don't. I'm just delightedly amazed :woohoo:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Wootton, Boyle, blade and Buckley should be in Farrell’s thought process for the six nations

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Wootton, Boyle, blade and Buckley should be in Farrell’s thought process for the six nations

Wootton has defensive issues, and Buckley has not age for RWC 2023 TBF

But yeah Boyle and Blade are there for Ireland, so is Dillane, Aki and Heff
    That would be my 5 in the 31-squad

When you looked how Prandergrast, and N.Murray play at 20, there's more to come next time!
    I want to add Aungier. Didn't play enough to be noticed by most, but lord, he came in great in the contact zones, vs Racing beasts. I now fully get why he was considered our 2nd choice as soon as he came in the squad

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »

When you looked how Prandergrast, and N.Murray play at 20, there's more to come next time!
    I want to add Aungier. Didn't play enough to be noticed by most, but lord, he came in great in the contact zones, vs Racing beasts. I now fully get why he was considered our 2nd choice as soon as he came in the squad

Heff and Buckley are the same age, they played together in the same Blackrock team...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I noticed Aungier, very strong in contact. Threw a few RAcing players on their arses. Going to very interesting if Connacht can win their other games ahead of the rematch in the Sportsground

The Friend Zone

Stockdale and Lowe both have issues similarly to wootton, being involved in an Irish squad could help wootton improve his issues. He deserves a spot in the wider squad to see how he handles it.

With life after Cian Healy, I don’t see why Buckley shouldn’t get a chance. He’s deserved it for the guts of years now. I’d have Buckley, EOS and kilcoyne battling it out for loose head

Heff and Buckley are the same age, they played together in the same Blackrock team...

Heff has been involved this autumn and 3 years ago
    You usually don't introduce a 30y-o newcomer into a squad
    White was an exception

Mul, it's over
    Heff has been involved this autumn and 3 years ago
    You usually don't introduce a 30y-o newcomer into a squad
    White was an exception

The point is he's not too old though if Heffernan isn't too old. If he was to earn his first cap in the 6 nations and be involved from there he'd be the same age as Heffernan with 2.5 years experience with the squad heading to the world cup

The point is he's not too old though if Heffernan isn't too old. If he was to earn his first cap in the 6 nations and be involved from there he'd be the same age as Heffernan with 2.5 years experience with the squad heading to the world cup

I don't think Wootton is Lowe and should play international rugby. But for Buckley, i just think it's unlikely but can't hope for better, I think he deserves a cap sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Before the game I would have said that in order to beat Racing we would need a full strength team in top form, an excellent set piece, discipline, and a low error count (as well as a bit of luck). And yet despite a completely non-functioning lineout and the loss of two back rows early on, we still managed to come extremely close.

The negatives of course need to be addressed; the lineout was about as bad as you'll ever see at this level, and our maul defence was watery. These are usually areas of strength for us so I would reserve concern for a repeat occurrence. I would however be quite concerned about our defence, and have been for most of Pete Wilkins' tenure. While he definitely has brought an improved linespeed, we constantly get caught defending far too narrow. Pro14 teams are only generally good enough to expose us occasionally, but in Europe we will get caught out. Racing shredded us several times and could have run riot if they were more accurate. I'm not sure if the issue is the system, the way the system is communicated to the players, or the players' abilities to implement same. I see John Porch, amongst others, criticised on here but I think he is actually a good defender who is put in difficult situations so often he is bound to make errors.

I think what pleased me most was how aggressive we were in contact in phase play, on both sides of the ball. While defensively we were a bit shakey out wide, our first up tackles in tight areas were fantastic; forceful and technically excellent. Same could be said about our carrying, we were consistently able to make yards against much bigger men by dint of our running lines and use of footwork. I thought we were quite good in possession, caused a very good Racing defence some concern, resourced rucks effectively, and generally kicked quite well.

Regardless of the result, when you bring a young panel to a place like La Défense you are going to learn a lot about your players. Tonight, we learned that Paul Boyle is ready for top class rugby. We learned that, in addition to his work rate, energy, and communication, Conor Oliver has the physicality to be impactful against top teams. We saw enough to believe that Jack Aungier and Cian Prendergast can be important men for the province going forward. Sean Masterson and Jordan Duggan looked good too and deserve more time to prove themselves. Eoghan Masterson is playing his best rugby in years in the second row (although perhaps his relative lack of height has contributed to our issues around the lineout). A lot of our more established men played well too but the above are the ones that made the biggest impact on me personally.

All in all I'm feeling pretty good about the future of Connacht rugby at the moment. The trouble of the Andy Friend reign has been that we have been so inconsistent that I might be feeling exactly the opposite in a few weeks time.

The Friend Zone
    I don't think Wootton is Lowe and should play international rugby. But for Buckley, i just think it's unlikely but can't hope for better, I think he deserves a cap sometimes.

Not saying wootton is Lowe, just that his good firm should be rewarded even though he has issues similar to the players already in the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    I think the lineout shored up a bit when prendergast came on. Was very impressed with him. Didn't looked overawed and had some good carried to boot.

Sean Masterson v unlucky to take himself out with that massive tackle. Was having a good game.

But my oh my dillane and Boyle. Easily in eachsntop five games for the club and personally for me the best we've seen from dillane since 2016 imo.

Mul, it's over
    freyners wrote: »
    I think the lineout shored up a bit when prendergast came on. Was very impressed with him. Didn't looked overawed and had some good carried to boot.

Sean Masterson v unlucky to take himself out with that massive tackle. Was having a good game.

But my oh my dillane and Boyle. Easily in eachsntop five games for the club and personally for me the best we've seen from dillane since 2016 imo.

Yeah, really feel for Masterson Jr. has looked very busy and like a solid pro in his appearances so far but that looked like a nasty enough knee injury... History repeats itself...

Edit: I notice our thread post cap is approaching. So the question is which Paul Boyle pun wins and by how much?

Not saying wootton is Lowe, just that his good firm should be rewarded even though he has issues similar to the players already in the squad

Today, I just want to tell you Wegians, I'm astononished. Forget about Alex.
    The day is a celebration

The Friend Zone
    Today, I just want to tell you Wegians, I'm astononished. Forget about Alex.
    The day is a celebration

A celebration? Surely can’t have that attitude. It was a good performance and encouraging for the future but it was a loss at the end of the day, the missed conversation and possibly going for the post rather than the corner, when the line out was clearly failing and you’d have enough points for a win. Shouldn’t be celebrating

Mul, it's over
    A celebration? Surely can’t have that attitude. It was a good performance and encouraging for the future but it was a loss at the end of the day, the missed conversation and possibly going for the post rather than the corner, when the line out was clearly failing and you’d have enough points for a win. Shouldn’t be celebrating

The missed conversation can't be helped with covid :pac:

I do because I see where Friend's bringing us on the long-term, in a post-Lam era

In 5 years you have

(Duggan)
    Aungier
    Murray
    Dillane
    Prandergast
    S.Masterson
    Boyle
    Blade+Reilly
    Porch
    (Sullivan)

Who all seem very very able to constitute a core bone of a team in 2025.
    You don't play like they played vs Racing without being more than "expectations"

That's what I celebrate + yeah, a BP away vs European Vice champion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Anyone feel Arnold was lucky with the no arms tackle for their 3rd (maybe 2nd) try in the corner. When they were checking the grounding I was dead certain they'd have a look at it.

• Advertisement

Edit: I notice our thread post cap is approaching. So the question is which Paul Boyle pun wins and by how much?

Title proposition
    Connacht Team Talk Thread VI -keep the pot Boyling

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement