Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

macslash wrote: »
    Anyone feel Arnold was lucky with the no arms tackle for their 3rd (maybe 2nd) try in the corner. When they were checking the grounding I was dead certain they'd have a look at it.

I did feel that too.
    I feel Big Papa is unlucky too when you see 2 of the 4 yellows from Munster vs Quins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Anyone feel Arnold was lucky with the no arms tackle for their 3rd (maybe 2nd) try in the corner. When they were checking the grounding I was dead certain they'd have a look at it.

Absolutely. Glad he grounded it because it would have been a PT and a yellow if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Huge credit to Tom Daly, who’s really becoming a vital squad member. His move from Leinster had been brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    Connacht should get a simple enough TBP against Bristol. They'll send the kids.

Connacht should get a simple enough TBP against Bristol. They'll send the kids.

Not sure, Lam won't disrespect Connacht.
    Connacht hearts could do without Hugues though, on a "biased" POV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

connachta wrote: »
    Not sure, Lam won't disrespect Connacht.
    Connacht hearts could do without Hugues though, on a "biased" POV

It wouldn't be about disrespecting Connacht it would be about being realistic about their chances. Their big defeat to Clermont means that they are not realistically going to progress in the Champions cup and the best they could hope for is getting into the Challenge cup spot. While they may consider trying to defend their Challenge cup title, without a doubt their number 1 focus will be the Premiership. So they may do a considerable amount of squad rotation for the away games

b.gud wrote: »
    It wouldn't be about disrespecting Connacht it would be about being realistic about their chances. Their big defeat to Clermont means that they are not realistically going to progress in the Champions cup and the best they could hope for is getting into the Challenge cup spot. While they may consider trying to defend their Challenge cup title, without a doubt their number 1 focus will be the Premiership. So they may do a considerable amount of squad rotation for the away games

I understood, but highly doubt it.
    It's Champions Cup, their first for 12-13 years, they won't throw games away IMO
    Hugues out would be already a relief

The Friend Zone
    Next week will be a tough task if roux and/or Thornbury aren’t back. Serious lack of numbers in the second row and back row atm. Hoped butler will come back in time, but you’re looking at being without sob, papalii, masterson Jnr, roux, Thornbury, butler, gallagher, Murray and dowling.

Options available: Dillane, masterson, prendergast, Oliver, Boyle and the players who played for the eagles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Next week will be a tough task if roux and/or Thornbury aren’t back. Serious lack of numbers in the second row and back row atm. Hoped butler will come back in time, but you’re looking at being without sob, papalii, masterson Jnr, roux, Thornbury, butler, gallagher, Murray and dowling.

Options available: Dillane, masterson, prendergast, Oliver, Boyle and the players who played for the eagles

Dowling should be available now shouldn't he? Think he was in full training last week.

The Friend Zone
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Dowling should be available now shouldn't he? Think he was in full training last week.

Yeah that’s why I was surprised he wasn’t included even with the eagles. Just speculating here but assuming the covid case was a second row, there’s two obvious members of the four players involved in Thornbury/roux, not hard to imagine another lock would be one of the four

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    Yeah that’s why I was surprised he wasn’t included even with the eagles. Just speculating here but assuming the covid case was a second row, there’s two obvious members of the four players involved in Thornbury/roux, not hard to imagine another lock would be one of the four

Ah yeah, never even occurred to me.

The Friend Zone
    Any word on sob and gallaghers injuries?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

He was lucky not to be pulled on it, at the same time I am surprised more attention hasn’t been given to the racing player jumping into the attempted tackle, which would have been the first offence. The finish is good to get the ball grounded.

Really impressed by Connacht yesterday and the way the younger players have been blooded and put their hands up. I guess consistency and backing it up v Bristol is the big thing moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

If we get 1 of the 2and rows back it will be fine. If we get both theres no issue as Masterson can go to 6 assuming Butler passes his rtpp. Dowling to the bench would be good but as mentioned he didn't line out for the eagles so maybe hes not ready yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Huge credit to Tom Daly, who’s really becoming a vital squad member. His move from Leinster had been brilliant.

Talking about credit had watched Wooten at Munster and always thought he was a fine prospect. Yesterday wasn't the first time he read the situation and ran the full length of the pitch. And at the same time he was quietly getting along doing his defensive work well. In years past Connacht were more likely to misread a situation and end up being torn apart so it's good to see us reading the game better than the opposing team

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Mul, it's over
    Some pace from Teddy Thomas attempting to chase down Alex Wooton from the opposite wing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Heard interview with Lam at the weekend where, in response to question about another club set to play younger players after defeat in first round, he said Bristol wouldn’t be doing that and would be doing all they can to qualify.

Maybe he wasn’t revealing truth to media/changes his mind but think the high likelihood is it’s Bristol’s strongest team coming to Galway.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Heard interview with Lam at the weekend where, in response to question about another club set to play younger players after defeat in first round, he said Bristol wouldn’t be doing that and would be doing all they can to qualify.

Maybe he wasn’t revealing truth to media/changes his mind but think the high likelihood is it’s Bristol’s strongest team coming to Galway.
    Told it!
    It's Lam
    speciall coach, special Connacht history too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Luke Carty and Darragh leader both joining MLR clubs recently. Happy to see these opportunities opening up again for young players

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Highlights from the eagles game on leinster YouTube, SOB had a stinker.. also think it’s fair to say CDB isn’t going to be getting a pro contract, have to be impressing in eagles games after 4 years in the academy to push on

• Advertisement

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Highlights from the eagles game on leinster YouTube, SOB had a stinker.. also think it’s fair to say CDB isn’t going to be getting a pro contract, have to be impressing in eagles games after 4 years in the academy to push on

Absolute nonsense to make such a strong declaration on SOBs performance based on a 5 minute highlights package. How do you know CDB didn't impress? Unless you were there you have no idea. I agree fwiw, but based on his overall body of work, not a few clips on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

You've got a Friend in me
    full match (french commentary)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Absolute nonsense to make such a strong declaration on SOBs performance based on a 5 minute highlights package. How do you know CDB didn't impress? Unless you were there you have no idea. I agree fwiw, but based on his overall body of work, not a few clips on YouTube.

When have you seen either impress? Playing against u19/20/21 players and struggling.. I’ve been to a good few eagles games over the last 2/3 years and haven’t been blown away by either, simply put there good ail players but not worth a development/senior deal imo would rather a punt on another player like Cian prendergast in leinster .. fair I didn’t see the whole game but 5 mins can see sob at fault for two tries

When have you seen either impress? Playing against u19/20/21 players and struggling.. I’ve been to a good few eagles games over the last 2/3 years and haven’t been blown away by either, simply put there good ail players but not worth a development/senior deal imo would rather a punt on another player like Cian prendergast in leinster .. fair I didn’t see the whole game but 5 mins can see sob at fault for two tries

I'm just saying that you can't judge someone from a few clips on a highlights package. Like yourself I've been to a fair few Eagles and club games over the past few years and I wouldn't hugely rate either tbh. Sean O'Brien would probably be grand as 5th/6th choice centre, de Buitléar isn't ready for senior rugby unless he can improve his defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Leinster's squad was majority U22 and U21.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Mul, it's over
    https://youtu.be/_34bKTA_Qoc

Watch Teddy Thomas chase down Alex Wooton! Didn’t catch him I know but what a chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

That kick from Jack Carty for the first try - Carty does things with the football at times that are just magical.

• Advertisement

Wegians,
    That's what I celebrate too
    I'm often pointing the lack a ball-carrying abilities, this time it was different, I enjoyed it!!!

https://www.the42.ie/connacht-collisions-andy-friend-5300764-Dec2020/?utm_source=shortlink

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement