Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

What annoyed me about the decision at the time was the fact Tiernan clearly explained the situation, and he didn't appear to take it on board. I'd suggest fatigue was a factor there. I certainly wouldn't be calling for Boyle's head - it's a lesson learned, and in all likelihood it won't make any difference, so perhaps not a bad time to learn the lesson.

I think most of us are frustrated because we weren't a million miles away from coming away from Paris with 5 match points, and while the performance against Bristol wasn't as good, we could have won that too (also with a bonus). I personally believe if Quinn or Gavin were fit we probably would have won the games - we'll never know. However, I do hope the squad can see/take the positives from recent performances. If we can keep the squad in good shape fitness/covid wise, then there's no reason to believe we can't go on a really good run in the league. And who knows what might happen!

PS: with a 1 point tally in Europe, why not give some of the younger lads even more time. I know hammerings don't do the squad any favours, but the lads who came off the bench the last couple of weeks have showed some real promise. Who knows, they might even nick a result or two (at which point we'll be even more frustrated about the last two results!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

RonnieL wrote: »

PS: with a 1 point tally in Europe, why not give some of the younger lads even more time. I know hammerings don't do the squad any favours, but the lads who came off the bench the last couple of weeks have showed some real promise. Who knows, they might even nick a result or two (at which point we'll be even more frustrated about the last two results!)

We could (no new injuries permitting) have a pretty competitive team with rotations

Main team for Interpros

1) Buckley
    2) Heff
    3) Beal
    4) Thorn
    5) Roux
    6) E.Master
    7) Butler
    8) Boyle
    9) Marmion/Blade
    10) Carty
    11) Hea
    12) Aki/Daly
    13) Arnold
    14) Woo
    15) Porch

For Europe "tests" in mid January

1) McAllister/Duggan
    2) Delah
    3) Aungier/McCoy/Kenny
    4) Dillane
    5) N.Murray (back from injury)
    6) S.Masterson/SOB
    7) Oliver
    8) Papal
    9) Kerrins/Reilly
    10) C.Fitz
    11) O'Donnell (back from injury)
    12) Robb/SOB 2.0
    13) Farrell (back from injury)
    14) Sullivan/S.Fitz
    15) TOH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    Metres Gained
    Connacht Rugby
    Bristol Bears

Same amount of Carries 93 to 87
    Half ground gained

+ mauls 7m gained to 65 for Bris!

Sometimes we can unexpectedly overcome the issue with players out of their skins like last week
    But overall
    WE NEED POWER. We need Papali'i.

The rest was very decent (Arnold, Carty, Porch, very few errors etc.)

Not sure how accurate the metres made numbers are. Ultimate rugby has Con 247 Bris 436 but rugbypass have Con 247 Bris 255.

The match was close enough that I don't think metres made was a significant factor, we left several chances behind on their try line.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Not sure how accurate the metres made numbers are. Ultimate rugby has Con 247 Bris 436 but rugbypass have Con 247 Bris 255.

The match was close enough that I don't think metres made was a significant factor, we left several chances behind on their try line.

I'd trust my figures (Euro Cup official ones), but whatever it was really really obvious Hugues/Lautua/Earl gained them the momentum anytime they had the ball and won them the game. Even in defence, they won the gainline

Mul, it's over
    I'd trust my figures (Euro Cup official ones), but whatever it was really really obvious Hugues/Lautua/Earl gained them the momentum anytime they had the ball and won them the game. Even in defence, they won the gainline

Oh yeah, had forgotten EPCR publish stats. They've updated theirs in line with UR so likely corrrect, though I guess rugbypass could just be calculating in a different way.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over

Not sure if the A highlights have been linked here? Fairly filthy offload from DTM for the first try. He did also get man-shamed by the Ravens' 4 for their first try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Thornbury and Roux inavailabilty cost us both games in my opinion in terms of their ability at lineouts in both calling and competing. Against Racing our preference for a quick track and running rugby conditions allowed us to run a much better team a lot closer but at home the conditions didnt allow us to rely on other excellent areas of our game as much and the lack of secure ball at lineout time killed us. Tbh I would much prefer to focus on the Pro14 this year but I agree with the importance of competing in every game.

Positives from this round of European competition has been the performances of Oliver, Prendergast (for year 1 academy v impressed) and Mastersons Jnr and Senior in terms of overcoming their inexperience in terms of caps or position. Masterson Snr in particulars does a lot in terms of ruck ball. Also Arnold looks better each game imo. Also Ultan outside of lineouts has been excellent lately and Boyle (bar one slip which he will learn from) has been a stand out.

Not so goods has been Jack operating at less than 100%, really impacts our flow. I would trust him to get it back with some more games. Similarly I don't think Bundee was particularly impactful either game but again class is permanent and he will be up for the interpros. Could really do with Tom Farrell back soon despite both Daly and Arnold playing excellently, Aki/Farrell bring out the best in each other.

For next year what way would seeding work for Europe ? If we were to stay in 2nd in our conference would that mean we'd be a 2nd seed in Heineken Cup draw ? Or do previous European results come into account too ? If we can concentrate on Pro14 now and work towards moving up a seed would be an excellent return in a disrupted season. Obviously lots of rugby to play between now and then but from what I've seen over the last 2 weekends we're more than capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

marley45 wrote: »
    For next year what way would seeding work for Europe? If we were to stay in 2nd in our conference would that mean we'd be a 2nd seed in Heineken Cup draw? Or do previous European results come into account too? If we can concentrate on Pro14 now and work towards moving up a seed would be an excellent return in a disrupted season. Obviously lots of rugby to play between now and then but from what I've seen over the last 2 weekends we're more than capable.
    No idea as we dont know how they may structure europe and qualification considering the way the seasons been.

In recent years the seedings have been based solely on league. European results have no role in deciding seedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

After last week I was overwhelmingly positive but identified three areas of concern; lineout, maul defence, and narrow defence in phase play. Our lineout was again poor, it steadied somewhat throughout the game but 79% is not an acceptable return. A lot of the ball we did win was messy. Our maul was terrible, players entering far too high with too much space between. Contrast that to Bristol's which was compact, well set, with excellent body positions throughout. For the second week in a row our maul defence was abysmal, really disheartening that it seems like we rely heavily on Roux and Thornbury is this area. Add to those issues a malfunctioning scrum and our forwards' struggles to make ground in the carry on the stodgy turf and it was a poor day out up front.
    I'm blue in the face from moaning about our defence but once again we were exposed multiple times, even on such a miserable day. I think it's only a matter of time before teams start to really target us on the edge. Bristol didn't really until Bundee got the YC which gave them the confidence to go wide, and they promptly shredded us. I know we were down a man but many teams seem to handle sin bin periods much better.
    Disappointing game overall, was looking forward to a cracker as I haven't seen much of Bristol the last few years. It's funny how much less of a tool Sinkler is playing for Pat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Bazzo wrote: »

Not sure if the A highlights have been linked here? Fairly filthy offload from DTM for the first try. He did also get man-shamed by the Ravens' 4 for their first try.

Wow yeah none of the lads covered themselves in glory for Uzuchukwu's try. Nice to see a small glimpse of Shane Jennings' talent, with ball in hand he's as good as anyone that has come through the Connacht underage system. Was that Cathal Forde that made the break to set up de Buitléar's try?

Mul, it's over
    freyners wrote: »
    Thornbury and Roux inavailabilty cost us both games in my opinion in terms of their ability at lineouts in both calling and competing. Against Racing our preference for a quick track and running rugby conditions allowed us to run a much better team a lot closer but at home the conditions didnt allow us to rely on other excellent areas of our game as much and the lack of secure ball at lineout time killed us. Tbh I would much prefer to focus on the Pro14 this year but I agree with the importance of competing in every game.

Positives from this round of European competition has been the performances of Oliver, Prendergast (for year 1 academy v impressed) and Mastersons Jnr and Senior in terms of overcoming their inexperience in terms of caps or position. Masterson Snr in particulars does a lot in terms of ruck ball. Also Arnold looks better each game imo. Also Ultan outside of lineouts has been excellent lately and Boyle (bar one slip which he will learn from) has been a stand out.

Not so goods has been Jack operating at less than 100%, really impacts our flow. I would trust him to get it back with some more games. Similarly I don't think Bundee was particularly impactful either game but again class is permanent and he will be up for the interpros. Could really do with Tom Farrell back soon despite both Daly and Arnold playing excellently, Aki/Farrell bring out the best in each other.

Just a minor point but thought Carty was excellent yesterday
    Wow yeah none of the lads covered themselves in glory for Uzuchukwu's try. Nice to see a small glimpse of Shane Jennings' talent, with ball in hand he's as good as anyone that has come through the Connacht underage system. Was that Cathal Forde that made the break to set up de Buitléar's try?

I think it was Forde but could be wrong. Great break whoever it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Think John Muldoon would have been very happy with the scrum and the maul from Bristol. At the same time what worked a week earlier against a quality side also says something. How can you be turned around so easily in one week. Did john know how to play us so well?

We can talk about what we did well. To be honest I thought Bundees yellow card was so lazy and it just offended me looking at him. I got the impression he didn't give a damn. His performance was underwhelming.

As for Paul Boyle undermining Tiernans opinion, well to be honest Paul did not have his best outing and I guess he figured it. Could never understand why he was sitting in the background until the game was over before he took a ball from behind the scrum.

I expected a lot more from Paul. If your scrum is in trouble sort it. Get it out quicker.

Not to say the scrum was his fault. It completely collapsed.

Bristol simply out-muscled us and deservedly won the game. But how they did that after putting the Racing big boys to the pump has to be questioned

Did they simply think that the Bristol contest wasn't worth their effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I'm blue in the face from moaning about our defence but once again we were exposed multiple times, even on such a miserable day. I think it's only a matter of time before teams start to really target us on the edge.

I could not agree more, people are so enamored by Porch and Wootton's attack and hard tackling, that they are ignoring or underplaying the fact that their positioning and set up has been below AIL level in my eyes. Quite simply: go wide against Connacht and you make metres or score a try. Happening all the time.

Regarding teams copping on to flaws: I remember one season, either 2011-12 or 2012-13, Scarlets started kicking to the corner, even when it was covered. It seemed bizarre, like the half back messed up perhaps. But what happened? Our wing tried to control it with his foot. Next time, knock on under no pressure, next time, tried to control it with his foot again. The jig was up, the next 3-4 games every team kicked onto our wingers and gained so much possession and territory on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

According to the Independent, Roux and Thornbury will be back this weekend, Bundee to be rested.

Something like, maybe

McAllister (didn't play for a while)
    Delahunt
    Aungier
    Roux
    Thornbury
    Dowling
    Butler
    Boyle
    Blade
    Daly
    Arnold
    Sullivan
    Healy
    TOH

would be smart rotation, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Connacht boss Friend tells players to stay away from social media feedback

In light of Kearney's book extract yesterday where he became obsessed over Gavin Cummiskey's opinion that Kearney was well out of form in 2016. And comments over the years from Jack Carty and Ian Keatley in particular, you would really hope players don't read this stuff, but sadly it seems they do.

Some of the stuff written online is borderline vitriol.

And it's a two way street sometimes. I know of a fan who was pinned up against a wall by 2 players almost a decade ago over comments he said online. Even recently I saw someone criticise a player on a fan group, completely just in their critique and delivered respectfully and politely. They ended up getting harassed online by a number of the player's family. Who most certainly are relaying this to the player. What good does that achieve?

You couple this with some of the ****e you hear coming out of a (very very select) few fans mouths in the clan stand.

It really seems that Friend's point needs to stand. Engagement has to be so delicate.

These festive Interpros are going to be tough as it's when I'll really miss going to matches the most. As a Leinster based fan I usually get to RDS, Ravenhill and then Sportsground for a European game in January not going to be the same at all this year unfortunately. No doubt we'll finally get a win in the RDS this season with no fans there !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    Connacht boss Friend tells players to stay away from social media feedback

In light of Kearney's book extract yesterday where he became obsessed over Gavin Cummiskey's opinion that Kearney was well out of form in 2016. And comments over the years from Jack Carty and Ian Keatley in particular, you would really hope players don't read this stuff, but sadly it seems they do.

Some of the stuff written online is borderline vitriol.

And it's a two way street sometimes. I know of a fan who was pinned up against a wall by 2 players almost a decade ago over comments he said online. Even recently I saw someone criticise a player on a fan group, completely just in their critique and delivered respectfully and politely. They ended up getting harassed online by a number of the player's family. Who most certainly are relaying this to the player. What good does that achieve?

You couple this with some of the ****e you hear coming out of a (very very select) few fans mouths in the clan stand.

It really seems that Friend's point needs to stand. Engagement has to be so delicate.

Nothing wrong with criticism but there is a way to go about it. I used to be a bit ott now I’m calmer and think before letting fly

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Boardmember101

Something like, maybe

Delahunt
    Aungier
    Roux
    Thornbury
    Dowling
    Butler
    Boyle
    Blade
    Daly
    Arnold
    Sullivan
    Healy
    TOH

Dowling is a second row, not a 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

You've got a Friend in me

Dowling was primarily a 6 at Leinster and underage before adding the second row as a string to his bow.

He's a backrow with the capability to play at 4 when required

not what Leinster supporters say.

Meanwhile, Friend said that Aussie sevens player Ben O’Donnell looks set to make his Connacht debut over the festive derbies after the 25-year old winger has recovered from a serious knee injury.

That's some great piece of information :D

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Mul, it's over
    Something like, maybe

Delahunt
    Aungier
    Roux
    Thornbury
    Dowling
    Butler
    Boyle
    Blade
    Daly
    Arnold
    Sullivan
    Healy
    TOH

I really think we should go with 15 players though........

So we have to top the conference pool if we want to make the final? Good thing we won't be distracted by Europe!

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/guinness-pro14-campaign-to-end-in-march-ahead-of-new-rainbow-cup/

I really think we should go with 15 players though........

Yeah C.Fitz ou Carty, 50/50

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Top 3 will guarantee Europe next season it seems, look to be in relatively good position for that. Positive that two of the three interpros are at home as corresponding fixtures presumably won’t be played.

While I admire the ambition of the pro14, considering the state of the world wrt covid, their plan seems like pure fantasy. I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Best wishes to our players in 2021. While social media can be unforgiving, the vast majority of us support you and wish you well.

• Advertisement

No lineups?
    Tomorrow only I guess

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement