Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    But can he play vs Kings

He got his red card on the 29th of September so yeah the six weeks is up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Wegians89 wrote: »

Are they not 6 weeks of "effective play?" Don't know how does the international window count...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I've a lot of time for your posts WP but this is unbelievably harsh on Blade.

And I don't think having Blade as starting scrum-half for the next few months is anything close to a disaster. I wouldn't have been his biggest supporter by any means last season but I think he really ponied up since the Summer and has been amongst our best players alongside SOBII/Carty/Godwin. He certainly has been better than Marmion this season for Connacht. He isn't perfect but he has a lot of years left in him to really improve. I'd be much more worried if we had to rely on Mitchell who doesn't seem to be rated by Keane or Friend so far in his tenure.

Marmion just starred in a big win over NZ. He's international quality. It's not harsh,nor unfair to say there's a big gulf between him and Blade. That's not saying Blade is crap, he's just a good way behind Marmion. He's still prone to brainfarts like running a penalty when the rest of the team are shagged and no one is alert to support him, he crabs sideways and takes the space, and his passing is not as accurate or sharp as Marmion. He's a decent 9 but he has a lot of improving to do to be anywhere near that standard.

Is it not 6 games/game weeks? Have we had 6 games since then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Zzippy wrote: »
    Marmion just starred in a big win over NZ. He's international quality. It's not harsh,nor unfair to say there's a big gulf between him and Blade. That's not saying Blade is crap, he's just a good way behind Marmion. He's still prone to brainfarts like running a penalty when the rest of the team are shagged and no one is alert to support him, he crabs sideways and takes the space, and his passing is not as accurate or sharp as Marmion. He's a decent 9 but he has a lot of improving to do to be anywhere near that standard.
    Good scrum halves take time to develop. Marmion took time, McGrath took time, even Conor Murray had a slow enough start and he's an exceptional player. But Blade has the makings of a good scrum half and a run of games with Marmion out should help him develop a bit quicker. Look how quickly Cooney stepped up when Ulster were so dependant on him. And Cooney was at a high enough standard to begin with. It's a real test for Blade and I hope he makes it.

The Friend Zone
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/sport/rugby/pro14/watch-connacht-prop-dominic-robertsonmccoy-hit-with-sixweek-ban-for-stamp-on-josh-van-der-flier-37382096.html

McCoy free to play since the 18th.

On the 9 situation. Blade has been very good this season. I have full faith that he’ll slot in perfectly. I’d be worried about the players behind him though. Kerins has a brilliant u20 World Cup and I hope he can push on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'm not disputing that Marmion is better. He beat the Kiwis on one ankle :pac: Blade will likely never reach that level. That said, for Connacht anyways, he has had a better start to this season so far than Marmion. I don't know why that is being ignored.

But the Paul Marshall thing is an unfair comparison to make for a 24 year old who is only really getting serious gametime in big matches this season. I think it's very early into the season, nevermind his professional career to confine him to Ulster spoofer territory. He makes mistakes, absolutely, but he's definitely improving. He's freeing up ball at the ruck much quicker, his general attacking playing is much better and he's defensively improving although his size will always be a massive limitation. I think there's a good chance he'll have a Carty coming of age.

So, according to training pics we should have smth like (only uncertainties are who're on the bench compared to reserves)

Buckley
    McCartney
    Carey
    Thornbury
    Dillane
    SOB
    Butler
    Boyle

Blade
    Carty
    Farrell
    Godwin
    Healy
    Kelleher
    O'Halloran

Delahunt
    McCabe
    McCoy
    (prob Cannon but doesn't appear)
    Fainga'a
    Mitchell
    Horwitz
    Leader

Reserves :
    Copeland
    Adeolokun

To come over before Cheetahs :
    Bealham?
    Roux (unlikely)

I'm not disputing that Marmion is better. He beat the Kiwis on one ankle :pac: Blade will likely never reach that level. That said, for Connacht anyways, he has had a better start to this season so far than Marmion. I don't know why that is being ignored.

But the Paul Marshall thing is an unfair comparison to make for a 24 year old who is only really getting serious gametime in big matches this season. I think it's very early into the season, nevermind his professional career to confine him to Ulster spoofer territory. He makes mistakes, absolutely, but he's definitely improving. He's freeing up ball at the ruck much quicker, his general attacking playing is much better and he's defensively improving although his size will always be a massive limitation. I think there's a good chance he'll have a Carty coming of age.
    There were similar responses to Robin Copeland moving from Munster and equally unfair comments and comparisons. And Blade is a Connacht player. Hard to understand how he can be dismissed like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/sport/rugby/pro14/watch-connacht-prop-dominic-robertsonmccoy-hit-with-sixweek-ban-for-stamp-on-josh-van-der-flier-37382096.html

McCoy free to play since the 18th.

On the 9 situation. Blade has been very good this season. I have full faith that he’ll slot in perfectly. I’d be worried about the players behind him though. Kerins has a brilliant u20 World Cup and I hope he can push on

Kerins is a strange one. We seldom produce a starting u20s scrum half, and then we leave him playing in 2A for two years, barely giving him games for the Eagles never mind the first team.

I'm not ignoring it, I think he's been decent this season but has still displayed the faults I listed above. Think it was the Glasgow game when he ran 2 penalties from stupid positions and we lost possession, just when we needed a bit of composure and field position or a kick at goal. He still takes too long to get the ball away from the ruck, often taking several steps before he passes - allows the defence to close the gap and gives a teammate ball with an opponent in his face. Those are things he can work on though. I hope he has a brilliant couple of months for us.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    There were similar responses to Robin Copeland moving from Munster and equally unfair comments and comparisons. And Blade is a Connacht player. Hard to understand how he can be dismissed like this.

Who was Copeland compared to unfairly? And worth mentioning, he hasn't exactly set the world on fire since his arrival, and his discipline has apparently seen him dropped for the last couple of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    If Blade turns out to be as good as Paul Marshall he'll be doing pretty well

Who was Copeland compared to unfairly? And worth mentioning, he hasn't exactly set the world on fire since his arrival, and his discipline has apparently seen him dropped for the last couple of games.
    I didn't say he was coompared to anyone. I said there were similar responses. And he was excellent at the begiinning of the season. I'll treat rumours like the above the same as I treated the comments about him sandbagging in reverse to up his value.

If Blade turns out to be as good as Paul Marshall he'll be doing pretty well

He can already retire happy if that's the low bar set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

He can already retire happy if that's the low bar set

Marshall was a very good second choice. 200 caps for Ulster and even sneaked a couple of Ireland caps in. Never a world beater but a very good pro.

That's exactly what someone like Blade is aiming for.

Marshall was a very good second choice. 200 caps for Ulster and even sneaked a couple of Ireland caps in. Never a world beater but a very good pro.

That's exactly what someone like Blade is aiming for.

I reckon he's the only player I've seen get more abuse in rugby from his own supporters at live matches I've gone to than a young Jack Carty.

The way you've described Marshall is definitely ideal for a player like Blade who is probably unlikely to get capped. I just don't remember him being any good tbh.

I didn't say he was coompared to anyone. I said there were similar responses.
    There were similar responses to Robin Copeland moving from Munster and equally unfair comments and comparisons.

;)
    I I'll treat rumours like the above the same as I treated the comments about him sandbagging in reverse to up his value.

Rumours? He gave away a couple of silly penalties in a game recently (can't recall which one) and hasn't featured since. I think Friend made a point in a presser of saying our discipline was not acceptable and players would be made aware of that. Not talking about any off-field stuff, was referring to on-field discipline. When everyone is fit I don't see him featuring regardless going on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Saying Blade was Connachts Marshall wasn't meant to be an insult lads

The Friend Zone
    Bundee won’t be back in Connacht until mid December. Heading back to New Zealand to get married. Should be back and we’ll rested for the interpros

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I reckon he's the only player I've seen get more abuse in rugby from his own supporters at live matches I've gone to than a young Jack Carty.

I'll see your Paul Marshal and raise you Ian Keatley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Bundee won’t be back in Connacht until mid December. Heading back to New Zealand to get married. Should be back and we’ll rested for the interpros

Rested after a wedding???

;)
    Fair enough. I did. But then this I think is an unfair comparison. Not directly with the two players mentioned, but that they are far better.
    Zzippy wrote:
    Copeland, not a hope. Been a big disappointment at Munster. Masterson and McKeon are far better.
    Rumours? He gave away a couple of silly penalties in a game recently (can't recall which one) and hasn't featured since. I think Friend made a point in a presser of saying our discipline was not acceptable and players would be made aware of that. Not talking about any off-field stuff, was referring to on-field discipline. When everyone is fit I don't see him featuring regardless going on form.
    He played both Challenge Cup games. He didn't feature in the two Pro 14 games since, against Ospreys and Dragons, but that could be as much down to squad rotation as any tea leave reading from what Andy Friend said at a presser. In fact he was the most effective in the pack against Sale (the last time he played) with 24m from 11 carries 1 clean break and 2 defenders beaten.

Fair enough. I did. But then this I think is an unfair comparison. Not directly with the two players mentioned, but that they are far better.

He played both Challenge Cup games. He didn't feature in the two Pro 14 games since, against Ospreys and Dragons, but that could be as much down to squad rotation as any tea leave reading from what Andy Friend said at a presser. In fact he was the most effective in the pack against Sale (the last time he played) with 24m from 11 carries 1 clean break and 2 defenders beaten.

Fair enough, agree to disagree. That was an honest opinion re Masterson and McKeon though, I don't feel it's an unfair comparison. Kudos for digging out the post though ;)

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Saying Blade was Connachts Marshall wasn't meant to be an insult lads
    I'd agree with that. But Marshall used to get awful stick from Ulster supporters who never seemed to forgive him for not being Ruan Pienaar. I'd hope that Connacht supporters won't do the same with Blade.

The Friend Zone
    Paul Boyle upgraded from academy to senior contract. Well deserved. Keeping him at Connacht until the end of the 2020/21 season. Nice that they included the length of the contract

Paul Boyle upgraded from academy to senior contract. Well deserved. Keeping him at Connacht until the end of the 2020/21 season. Nice that they included the length of the contract

That's his first and final Connacht contract. Next one is a central IRFU contract :P

And I really think about it. O'Brien and Stander won't play RWC 2023, J.Murphy probably not, so he has 4 (and a half) years to become 3rd choice openside or n°8. Doable

Team's out and that's a pretty good one
    Only 2 "surprises" I like a lot : Fainga'a and Delahunt to start

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He hasn't gone back yet anyway. He was out in Sligo last night with the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Connacht
    15. Tiernan O’Halloran
    14. Cian Kelleher
    13. Kyle Godwin
    12. Tom Farrell
    11. Matt Healy
    10. Jack Carty
    9. Caolin Blade

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Shane Delahunt
    3. Conor Carey
    4. Ultan Dillane
    5. James Cannon
    6. Sean O’Brien
    7. Colby Fainga’a
    8. Jarrad Butler (capt.)

Replacements:

16. Tom McCartney
    17. Peter McCabe
    18. Dominic Robertson McCoy
    19. Gavin Thornbury
    20. Paul Boyle
    21. James Mitchell
    22. David Horwitz
    23. Darragh Leader

Strong team but worried about us defensively. A shootout would suit the kings at home and we haven't been taking our scouting chances lately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement