Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Godwin was excellent yesterday, great addition. Shows the quality of options available that he is likely to be in the 23 shirt when Aki is available. Blade has really stepped up too making Marmion's absence manageable. Thought Copeland played well also, couple of big turnovers. Back row is a real dog fight for places, guess SOB Butler Boyle would be first choice currently but lot of depth there thankfully.

Lineout went well too, albeit Cheetahs didn't seem to be putting too much emphasis on competing there, didn't think Dillane/Thornbury would have much experience calling it.

Only slight negative for me would be I don't think O'Halloran his hit his normal heights yet this season but it will come when needed hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Back row is a real dog fight for places, guess SOB Butler Boyle would be first choice currently but lot of depth there thankfully.

Masterson is back, McKeon will be soon, I can't see who could make way. Fainga'a, Butler, SOB and Boyle are close to international standard. Copeland not far. Connolly good anytime time he comes in but poor lad how can he do to start big games sometimes...

Back-3 for now is Healy 11 TOH 14 Leader and Kelleher fighting for 14, Godwin 23 when Bundee's here. No reserves here, except young deBuitlear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    In an interview during the week thornbury said that jimmy Duffy was doing a lot of line out calling work with himself, roux and cannon. Disappointed dillane isn’t in that group as I think it’s a handy skill to have to get into the international side

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    I think one of the back rows will move on.
    Bristol may take a run at Masterson or McKeon. Connolly is a good player that needs match time. He's barely getting a look in, so he may look to move on.
    I think Munster will take a run on one of them as Botha is not signed after the season and TOD is injured a lot.
    Boyle looks like he's one that got away from Leinster. He's very good and I think an Ireland cap will be his after the world cup.

Mul, it's over
    Evil_g wrote: »
    What are the rules there then? Home play-off for highest points?

Play off scrapped, fourth place finisher with highest points totals gets last European spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Mul, it's over
    Play off scrapped, fourth place finisher with highest points totals gets last European spot.

I did not know that. That's huge. And potentially very unfair on some team. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over

In that case we took a giant step forward over the last fortnight.
    Great stuff.

Mul, it's over
    Doubting myself now about that fourth place situation, was sure I read it but can't seem to find a reference online to it, anyone clarify? European cup website states that playoff remains. https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/format/qualification/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    Dubinusa wrote: »
    Bristol may take a run at Masterson or McKeon. Connolly is a good player that needs match time. He's barely getting a look in, so he may look to move on.
    I think Munster will take a run on one of them as Botha is not signed after the season and TOD is injured a lot.
    Boyle looks like he's one that got away from Leinster. He's very good and I think an Ireland cap will be his after the world cup.

Boyle needs to get ahead of SOB first. Butler and SOB are the first two names in the back row right now and rightly so.

Mul, it's over
    its_phil wrote: »
    Boyle needs to get ahead of SOB first. Butler and SOB are the first two names in the back row right now and rightly so.

Agree on SOB and Butler but Boyle is probably first choice no.8 I think?

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone

It’s been kind of rotated between butler 8 faingaa 7 and Boyle at 8 and butler at 7 for the last few games.

Think sob has 6 nailed down completely. I think he’s the equivalent of Pom. Sob adds a lot to the line out. He is also a work horse and never goes backwards either in defense or attack

Fainga'a's underrated there. Very good player. Too light to be international maybe, but otherwise ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    Dubinusa wrote: »

Think you need 6 or 7 top back rows now to compete, to cover injuries and also strong subs,

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    Fainga'a's underrated there. Very good player. Too light to be international maybe, but otherwise ...

Yeah been a good signing. Think he’ll keep improving as he gets more accustomed to the style of northern hemisphere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over

Yeah but Butler gets moved into 8 when Fa’ainga is picked. Boyle, Copeland and Fa’ainga battling it out for the last spot

Masterson can contest the 6 shirt to SOB IMO

The Friend Zone
    Don’t get me wrong I like all three guys but I’d be surprised if all three of masterson, mckeon or Connolly are in the squad next season

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Don’t get me wrong I like all three guys but I’d be surprised if all three of masterson, mckeon or Connolly are in the squad next season

Was my point too
    McKeon is the oldest guy (but only 28) with very few gametime and some injuries later on...
    Connolly doesn't break through
    Masterson will stay IMO

The Friend Zone
    Mckeon is one I feel for, anytime he starts to look like he’s picking up form seems to get injured. He can slot in anywhere in the back row and I can remember he was even up in carton house training one year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

can any of them play loose head? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    Masterson has contract until end of next season so he will be here anyway. Would expect McKeon to be too. Connolly has never let Connacht down but he's probably not getting enough game time to justify another contract at this stage anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    can any of them play loose head? :rolleyes:

Only the back up scrumhalf Buckley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

You’re all very quick to drop a player from the squad from prob the most attritional positions in the team.

There’s always a back row injured and usually they’re not short term injuries either.

We currently have 2 out injured !

I wouldn’t be cutting any of them from the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Masterson has contract until end of next season so he will be here anyway. Would expect McKeon to be too. Connolly has never let Connacht down but he's probably not getting enough game time to justify another contract at this stage anyway

Connolly has been great when called upon but is just not getting the game time. Now that Boyle has leapfrogged him I'd say he might move. A trip to France or England might be worth perusing. Maybe Munster might take a look at him with O'Donnell being injured so much and POM and Stander away with Ireland so much. As was mentioned somewhere Botha is going so there will be opportunities there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    For the sake of rest and rotation we need all of them three 7s is a minimum as it's the most attritional position going two out and out 8s two 6s and then one or two who bench and can cover across the backrow.
    Like we're actually thin a player or 2 TBH

7s
    Jarrad
    Colby
    Connolly

8s
    Boyle (does a good job at 6 but more effective at 8)
    Masterson (does a good job at 6 but more effective at 8)
    Copeland

6s
    SOB
    McKeon ( always thought his position was here but he covers across all 3)

Add in Gallagher who's a lock aswell. We'd need to keep all the above

The Friend Zone
    Shelflife wrote: »
    You’re all very quick to drop a player from the squad from prob the most attritional positions in the team.

There’s always a back row injured and usually they’re not short term injuries either.

We currently have 2 out injured !

I wouldn’t be cutting any of them from the squad

If it was my choice I’d keep them. Injures and lack of game time could presudecthe coaching team to look elsewhere or for the player themselves to consider their options. If any of them left I’d hope Connacht get a direct replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

You've got a Friend in me
    Doubting myself now about that fourth place situation, was sure I read it but can't seem to find a reference online to it, anyone clarify? European cup website states that playoff remains. https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/format/qualification/

I remember hearing it too... There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth that it was unfair on the team in the harder conference (ie potentially us). Maybe they've changed it again - always bloody chopping and changing with the qualification rules...

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Only the back up offloading scrumhalf Buckley.

FYP :D

The Friend Zone

Add in Gallagher who's a lock aswell. We'd need to keep all the above

Any word on Gallagher and if he’s fit? Heard he’s been fighting injuries all season but no mention of the nature of it. I’d love to see him involved over the next two weeks if he’s fit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It's still a playoff, home advantage to the 4th placed team with the highest points in their conference. Which is unfair IMO, having Dragons and Kings in Conference B gives teams in that conference an advantage.

https://www.pro14rugby.org/about-us/competition-rules/
    3.2.7 The seven Clubs that qualify to participate in the 2018/19 EPCR Champions Cup will be made up of the following:
    • The three highest ranked European Clubs in each conference at the end of the League Stage (South African Clubs ineligible)
    • The winner of a single play-off Match between the next highest ranked European Club in Conference A and the next highest ranked European Club in Conference B.
    • The single play-off Match will be played at the home venue of the European Club that (as between the two participating Clubs) has the most League Points at the end of the League Stage. If level on points the normal deciding criteria will apply: Points Difference, Tries Scored, Try Difference, etc

Read more at https://www.pro14rugby.org/about-us/competition-rules/#4k5HYy2Dm2UGjVUK.99

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement