Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    If nothing else a home play-off would be a great occasion to round off the season.

Still, top three had to be the aim now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Zzippy wrote: »
    It's still a playoff, home advantage to the 4th placed team with the highest points in their conference. Which is unfair IMO, having Dragons and Kings in Conference B gives teams in that conference an advantage.

https://www.pro14rugby.org/about-us/competition-rules/

We also have to play extra games against the other Irish provinces, which compared to the other countries (although both Scottish teams are strong) are significantly tougher. But you are never going to have a perfectly fair system in the league and we should be back ourselves to finish at least third in any case if we have genuine ambitions for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

For the sake of rest and rotation we need all of them three 7s is a minimum as it's the most attritional position going two out and out 8s two 6s and then one or two who bench and can cover across the backrow.
    Like we're actually thin a player or 2 TBH

7s
    Jarrad
    Colby
    Connolly

8s
    Boyle (does a good job at 6 but more effective at 8)
    Masterson (does a good job at 6 but more effective at 8)
    Copeland

6s
    SOB
    McKeon ( always thought his position was here but he covers across all 3)

Add in Gallagher who's a lock aswell. We'd need to keep all the above

two of those (SOB & Copeland) cover second row too. And for what it's worth I reckon Boyle could do a job at number 4 if he had to. Things aren't as bad there as they were last year but you'd like to keep options open.

With Connacht you're never more than one bad Cardiff game away from an injury crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

freyners wrote: »
    We also have to play extra games against the other Irish provinces, which compared to the other countries (although both Scottish teams are strong) are significantly tougher. But you are never going to have a perfectly fair system in the league and we should be back ourselves to finish at least third in any case if we have genuine ambitions for anything

How does that work for the Italian, Scottish and SA teams? do they play eachother more times in a season?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    How does that work for the Italian, Scottish and SA teams? do they play eachother more times in a season?
    They all play each other 3 times a season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

freyners wrote: »

Absolutely, gotta be aiming for top 3 regardless.
    In a conference system points will always be skewed towards the conference with the weakest team(s), I was just making the point that basing home venue on points total favours teams in that conference. Hopefully someone else can worry about that come the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Play-off not canceled, then, sure it is?

James Crombie from Inpho accompanied the team for the whole of the SA tour and did a short video, looks great. Anyone remember the Siberian trip and how the team bonded on that? Could we see a similar bounce after this trip...?

https://twitter.com/Inphosports/status/1069642189012115456

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Was looking st the challenge cup squad there and blade and Mitchell are the only two registered 9s in the squad. Scholes is still in there so I presume he’ll be taken out, if the 3 alterations haven’t already been used.

I’d be looking for something like :

McCabe Delahunt McCoy
    Thornbury maksymiw
    Masterson Copeland Connolly
    Mitchell Horwitz
    Robb griffin
    De buitlear leader kelleher

Murphy/ heffernan, Burke, Kenny/ bealham, roux, faingaa, blade/ kerins, Fitzgerald, sob3
    Not sure if the likes of masterson, heffernan Kenny are fit but if they are I’d have them involved. If kerins could be registered I’d give him a run on the bench. Don’t want blade run out, only 2 games into a block of 8 where marmion won’t be around

The Friend Zone
    On the back row options, if a7 or 8 was leaving Leinster I’d still hope Connacht try to sign them even with all the options currently on the books. A deegan/ Doris type have potential to be lions, while I think leainstercwould he stupid to let vdf or leavy go similarly they’d walk into a Connacht 23.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

James Crombie from Inpho accompanied the team for the whole of the SA tour and did a short video, looks great. Anyone remember the Siberian trip and how the team bonded on that? Could we see a similar bounce after this trip...?

https://twitter.com/Inphosports/status/1069642189012115456

You could be on to something Zippy. The final is in Scotland too. Good omens.

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    You could be on to something Zippy. The final is in Scotland too. Good omens.

I stayed between Glasgow and Edinburgh the last time. If we make it I'll have to stay in the same B&B in order not to jinx anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

The Friend Zone

From a purely rugby point of view what a loss he will be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Stephen Kerrins has been added to the European squad in place of McKeon https://www.the42.ie/champions-cup-additional-players-round-three-4374995-Dec2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    I'm glad Connacht nixed Reece. Good choice and really the only one.
    As talented as he may be, he's just not worth the drama and hassle.

The Friend Zone
    b.gud wrote: »
    Stephen Kerrins has been added to the European squad in place of McKeon https://www.the42.ie/champions-cup-additional-players-round-three-4374995-Dec2018/

That’s pretty good, he should get a debut now, actually why didn’t they use scholes spot??

The Friend Zone
    Bundee was training with the squad today. Heffernan masterson, Gallagher and claffey were all there too if they’re fit I’d like to see those four get game time

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Bundee was training with the squad today. Heffernan masterson, Gallagher and claffey were all there too if they’re fit I’d like to see those four get game time

Thought he was heading back to NZ for a few weeks, no?

The Friend Zone
    Thought he was heading back to NZ for a few weeks, no?

Thats why I’m a bit shocked. Maybe he is heading mid week? Himself and marnion were in Dubai last week though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Thats why I’m a bit shocked. Maybe he is heading mid week? Himself and marnion were in Dubai last week though

Instagram stalker or something like that? :D

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    Instagram stalker or something like that? :D

Oh of course. Jordan conroy had a picture of the pair of them over there after the 7s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    You definitely just broke the "don't be a dick" rule.

The Friend Zone
    Yeah so moving swiftly on, three Connacht players in the under 19 squad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Mul, it's over
    You definitely just broke the "don't be a dick" rule.

Yeah, Wegians. What were you thinking? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'm lost. Is there beef over someone on their own Instagram revealing where and what they are doing? That's kinda the point of it no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    I'm lost. Is there beef over someone on their own Instagram revealing where and what they are doing? That's kinda the point of it no?

I think people are just slagging Wegians for being so up to date with where people are based on their social media postings

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over

Nah, it was in a response to a now deleted post.

The Friend Zone
    I’ll take the slagging, I’ve wasted too much time on instagram

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    Confirmation from friend that bundee is available at the weekend. He was keen to travel to South Africa too apparently. Bonus point win this weekend using players who weren’t involved in the tour would be great for keeping momentum going

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement