Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Yeah not many Irish IQ, Heaney seems busy with Worcester, so the Reece NIQ spot should go there on a 2-month-contract, before Super rugby and Marmion come-back.

The IQ back-3, then.

My order of preference would be :

1) Adam Byrne (and sign him for next season, starved of gametime compared to his potential talent...)
    2) Peter Lydon, a 15/10 who kicks very well, useful, played in France and England
    3) Charlie Ingall (utility back) 29, so experienced, Newcstle, Wasps, Sale, London Scottish, nothing spectacular but good joker
    4) Rory Parata, if not keen of a come-back, his team-mate Alex 0'Meara, a pure n°14
    5) Sean Scanlon (Nottingham FB)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Adam Byrne would be a great signing but don’t know if it’ll happen tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Mul, it's over
    Ian Fitzpatrick from the 7s might be worth looking at. He was cut by Leinster after never getting a game in his four years in the academy. Tom Farrell never got an opportunity at Leinster and he's worked out pretty well.

Angus Lloyd as scrumhalf cover maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Adam Byrne would be a great signing but don’t know if it’ll happen tbh

Great going forward, defensively suspect, perfect fit for a Connacht’s back three.

The Friend Zone
    Has stringer ever officially retired? He looks in better shape than most still playing the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Has stringer ever officially retired? He looks in better shape than most still playing the game

He’s busy with the dancing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Byrne has started 4 of Leinster's last 5 games. He's getting a solid run of it right now.

Buer wrote: »
    Byrne has started 4 of Leinster's last 5 games. He's getting a solid run of it right now.

No. He does not play meaningful games. He will for Connacht, even more if we qualify for CC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    No. He does not play meaningful games. He will for Connacht, even more if we qualify for CC

There is zero guarantee of that when we have Niyi, Cian, Darragh and Matt all fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    its_phil wrote: »
    There is zero guarantee of that when we have Niyi, Cian, Darragh and Matt all fit.

Pretty much.

I don't think anyone knows how good Byrne really is but he's not nearly as good as we initially hoped. He's been rock bottom of the pecking order for a year now.

He'd have a better chance at Connacht but no way he'd be a guaranteed starter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Considering friend and nucifora have some sort of relationship and that marmion got injured on Irish duty surely someone should be brought in. Also saw a post saying de buitlear had a hamstring injury so looking for a back three makes sense. Hugh lane (u20) was pictured training with the seniors last week but he picked up an injury playing for galwegians this weekend too. Not saying he’s ready for senior rugby but he would have been back 3 option. Signing a back three player should be no issue for irfu as Reece’s spot is still there

It's a pity Munster got an extension for Mathewson. When he first started playing i remember thinking he looked like Blade turned all the way up to 11. It was around the time that Blade was taking all those quick tap penalties and Mathewson was throwing NFL style lineouts.

The Friend Zone
    Mr Tickle wrote: »
    It's a pity Munster got an extension for Mathewson. When he first started playing i remember thinking he looked like Blade turned all the way up to 11. It was around the time that Blade was taking all those quick tap penalties and Mathewson was throwing NFL style lineouts.

I was thinking that he could be an option. Forgot he got an extension. Signing a 9 could prove difficult especially if they have to be IQ as friend has said in an interview post match. If the academy lads think Colm Reilly has a chance of making it I’d nearly just introduce him early. I know 19 is pretty early for a scrum half but might be the only option.

Back three should be easy enough to pick up. A few players on the fringes of other provinces could take the opportunity to go on loan. I’d love Byrne to sign look term but he’s nowhere near guaranteed starter, and I doubt he’d leave Leinster to be second choice somewhere else. Stephen Fitzgerald could be an option. Don’t know if he’s injured but he hasn’t featured at all for Munster. He can play anywhere in back three and obviously Conor could have a good word with him. Calvin Nash might find a short term loan a good move to progress his career as could maybe Keenan. Shane Daly could also be an option think he coveres 13/14/15. Although I’d say the outside back will be niq as Reece was supposed to be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Where's Nick Cummins these days ? Wouldn't mind him rocking up for a season or 2.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Where's Nick Cummins these days ? Wouldn't mind him rocking up for a season or 2.

doing loads of TV work, including tourist TV and stuff for national geographic..... and im sure earning a nice wedge for it too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

stephen_n wrote: »
    Great going forward, defensively suspect, perfect fit for a Connacht’s back three.

Careful now! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

sydthebeat wrote: »
    doing loads of TV work, including tourist TV and stuff for national geographic..... and im sure earning a nice wedge for it too

Probably a lot more than he earned in rugby.

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/sport/17288095.michael-heaney-signs-two-year-contract-at-worcester-warriors/

That's closing (was unlikely I noted) the only abroad IQ possibility IMO

Well there's also Charlie Mulchrone at Worcester. Not way more likely than Heaney though. Both are regular starters behind Care...

I'd go for :
    NIQ SH on a 2-month-deal before Super Rugby
    IQ back-three signed over for next season too (A.Byrne, Keenan, Lydon...)

The Friend Zone
    I imagine on a short term basis we're more likely to get one of the 5 scrum halves on Munster's books.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    What happened to Conor McKeon? He's already contracted with Connacht.
    Fitzgerald would be a decent pick up. He's not going anywhere with Munster. He's probably better moving elsewhere at this point as his career has stalled.
    Scholes was in a similar situation and left.
    I think we'll see some lads from the provinces leave. Peter Robb is buried down the depth chart and his career is stalled.
    Some guys could leave for a year or two and come back with some meaningful game time under their belt.

The Friend Zone
    Dubinusa wrote: »
    Fitzgerald would be a decent pick up. He's not going anywhere with Munster. He's probably better moving elsewhere at this point as his career has stalled.
    I think we'll see some lads from the provinces leave. Peter Robb is buried down the depth chart and his career is stalled.
    Some guys could leave for a year or two and come back with some meaningful game time under their belt.

McKeon is injured he dislocated his shoulder. Robb is also injured at the moment I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

In relation to Mckeon he picked up a shoulder injury and had surgery, he is on the long term injury list. Would have thought it would is an ideal time for Stephen Kerins to get a run who is year 3 of academy and has never featured. He is now playing with Shannon but seemingly is injured also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

He's injured and will be out for most of the season

Speaking about Munster, ex-Irish U20 Ryan Foley could be poached from Ealing too, he hasn't much gametime there..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If Munster can get an All Black 9 on a medical joker (now extended, surprise, surprise!) the IRFU can't really tell Connacht you have to sign someone IQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,417 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Zzippy wrote: »
    If Munster can get an All Black 9 on a medical joker (now extended, surprise, surprise!) the IRFU can't really tell Connacht you have to sign someone IQ.

Absolutely spot on Zzippy

IRFU should block any signing for Connacht :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Zzippy wrote: »

What about one of the Munster SHs as short term cover? James Hart is playing A team rugby and hasn't a hope of getting ahead of any of the 4 ahead of him, and is apparently looking to leave at the end of the season anyways.

The Friend Zone
    On the craggy rugby podcast it was mentioned that a player from Leinster who has played in the pro 14 already couldn’t make a short term switch? I think angle has played for both ulster and Leinster this year and did McCabe not get on the Connacht bench for a weekend before going back to Munster while he was in loan? Anyone know if players can play for two teams ?

If the rule is true getting in iq 9 and back three cover will be extremely difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

What about one of the Munster SHs as short term cover? James Hart is playing A team rugby and hasn't a hope of getting ahead of any of the 4 ahead of him, and is apparently looking to leave at the end of the season anyways.

There is a good reason for that.

In talk with Biarritz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

On the craggy rugby podcast it was mentioned that a player from Leinster who has played in the pro 14 already couldn’t make a short term switch? I think angle has played for both ulster and Leinster this year and did McCabe not get on the Connacht bench for a weekend before going back to Munster while he was in loan? Anyone know if players can play for two teams?

If the rule is true getting in iq 9 and back three cover will be extremely difficult
    Google it... check pro14 website and regulations there?
    Could be limits in terms of number of games played?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement