Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Google it... check pro14 website and regulations there?
    Could be limits in terms of number of games played?

Couldn’t find anything other than no signing after mid March can be registered. But it seems odd they’d say it if it wasn’t true?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

According to @furlo on Twitter Kerrins was due to be on the bench at the weekend but picked up an injury

https://twitter.com/Furlo/status/1072182922692755456

For those who can't access twitter here's the full text of the tweet
    #connachtrugby To clarify the scrum-half issue - Stephen Kerins was due to start on the bench Saturday but was injured in the week; No time-frame but must be minimum 4 weeks if IQ joker to be played

• Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Couldn’t find anything other than no signing after mid March can be registered. But it seems odd they’d say it if it wasn’t true?

There's a rule in there for 'permit' players ie players of another nationality (project or NIQ) only being able to play for one side in the season, but nothing mentioned about IQ players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    I listened to Craggy Rugby earlier on, can't remember who made the remark about not being to transfer players who have made an appearance but fairly sure they said 'I think' so they might well be mistaken.

Whatever about back three (and depending on how bad De Buitléars injury is) there should be no limitation on the 9 being IQ. Ireland have an abundance of 9s ffs. Need an experienced scrum half who can do a decent job, with the run of fixtures coming up, getting someone decent in could well be the difference between playoffs & top tier European rugby next season and not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I listened to Craggy Rugby earlier on, can't remember who made the remark about not being to transfer players who have made an appearance but fairly sure they said 'I think' so they might well be mistaken.

Whatever about back three (and depending on how bad De Buitléars injury is) there should be no limitation on the 9 being IQ. Ireland have an abundance of 9s ffs. Need an experienced scrum half who can do a decent job, with the run of fixtures coming up, getting someone decent in could well be the difference between playoffs & top tier European rugby next season and not.

Can totally understand if it was for a long term signing but for a medical joker it shouldn't make a blind bit of difference where they are from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    might be a case of just getting in someone quickly. if it's IQ then they jump right in. NIQ would need to wait on work permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

My picks would probably be Angus Lloyd and Colm Hogan, not sure if they’re available though.

The Friend Zone
    My picks would probably be Angus Lloyd and Colm Hogan, not sure if they’re available though.

Did Colm hogan not decide to Priorities college over rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Did Colm hogan not decide to Priorities college over rugby?

Yeah that rings a bell alright. Maybe Terry Kennedy or Ian Fitzpatrick then.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tobdom

The planning for the Sportsground redevelopment has been submitted.....

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-rugby-submit-planning-application-for-sportsground-redevelopment/

https://geo.galwaycity.ie/ePlan5/AppFileRefDetails/18402/0 If this link doesn't bring you direct to Connacht's application, click on "Planning File Reference number" under 'Search by' and enter 18402 in the 'File Search' field, then click search.

Permission for development which will consist of : 1) The demolition and removal of the existing Clan Terrace, Connacht Rugby offices, maintenance buildings and training pitches, ancillary temporary cabins and storage facilities, section of boundary wall along College Road and ESB Sub station and Switch room. 2) The new construction will consist of: A new North Stand with terracing and seated areas over 4 levels and which will also incorporate player and match day facilities, a café, sports merchandise shop, TV facilities, various hospitality areas, supporter facilities and plant areas. The Refurbishment and extension of the existing South Stand. A new High-performance Centre comprising of a new indoor synthetic training pitch and office accommodation which will incorporate offices and player welfare facilities (canteen, treatment rooms, etc) to replace the demolished clubhouse.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1072447914885214208
    STADIUM UPDATE | We can confirm that a planning application has been formally submitted to Galway City Council for the redevelopment of the Sportsground Stadium.

#GrassrootsToGreenShirts

Full info ➡️ http://fal.cn/rtKV

Being one of only 2 fit scrum halves is taking it's toll on Caolin Blade

JBnaEuT.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,417 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Indo reporting Tom Daly loan deal for rest of season

The Friend Zone
    Burkie1203 wrote: »

More like a trial deal I’d say if it happens. Think he could do a job for Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

More like a trial deal I’d say if it happens. Think he could do a job for Connacht

Yeah I’d say it’ll end up permanent if he goes well, he’s hardly going to get much time in Leinster long term and has looked good when he got a few games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Not seen a lot but have heard good things of him. Seems sensible all round.

The Friend Zone
    He had a great center partnership with Tom Farrell for both Irish u20s and lansdowne. I think he can place kick too?

At 6 ft 4 he’s a big lump and I think himself and Robb will be battling for a squad spot for next season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    Munster/Leinster/Ulster - "we need cover", Irfu - "here's an international from Oz/NZ/SA". Connacht "we need cover", Irfu - "welcome to scrapheap challenge"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Does the fact that he represented team GB in the olympics make a difference to him being IQ?
    Or does diving have different rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

evil_seed wrote: »
    Munster/Leinster/Ulster - "we need cover", Irfu - "here's an international from Oz/NZ/SA". Connacht "we need cover", Irfu - "welcome to scrapheap challenge"

Personally, I love these type of signings as we are not going to get a marquee signing at this time of year. As in lad has got slightly lost in the Leinster system for one reason or another in this case injury has seemed to plague Tom. But he now will be with a team that he may have a chance to prove to himself he is capable of playing regularly. in the past we have got some real gems in this type of signing. Personally I believe Daly is a definite upgrade on Robb.

Kyle Tonetti
    Dave McSharry
    Tom Farrell

My only query is we are looking for a back three player not a 12 and Leinster are struggling at 12 at the moment given Henshaws & Tomanes injury.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    With griffin and Robb injured the center options are bundee farrell godwin and Joyce. Bundee will be with Ireland for large periods of the rest of the season, while Joyce is only just getting his chance and is untested. Godwin has played on the wing already this season so signing another center could give more room for godwin to play on the wing? Maybe de buitlears injury isn’t long term either .

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

With griffin and Robb injured the center options are bundee farrell godwin and Joyce. Bundee will be with Ireland for large periods of the rest of the season, while Joyce is only just getting his chance and is untested. Godwin has played on the wing already this season so signing another center could give more room for godwin to play on the wing? Maybe de buitlears injury isn’t long term either .

Good point and I think Daly has covered with for Leinster previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Godwin has gone wing this year so it could be Daly to partner Farrell or whoever in centre and then Godwin as 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,417 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    evil_seed wrote: »

Nagle to Ulster
    Brad Thorn is the last Medical Joker at Leinster IIRC. Almost 7 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Guys let's be reasonable

Godwin is above all a centre
    he played there for Australia and Brumbies
    he's using his sidesteps better here
    The pairing with Farrell is functionning absolutely great

so it would be a huge mistake to keep him in the fridge as 23
    Main composition (without Aki) should be 12 Farrell 13 Godwin 23 Daly
    Then if something happen to one of the remaining back-3 guys in the end of a game, Godwin moves to the wing and Daly comes in for him in midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Mul, it's over
    Nagle to Ulster
    Brad Thorn is the last Medical Joker at Leinster IIRC. Almost 7 years ago

Maks van Dyk and Lote Tuquri

The Friend Zone
    Bundee will be available for the Leinster match after his wedding. I’d probably rather rest him that week so that he could play the two home interpros and Cardiff games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Bundee will be available for the Leinster match after his wedding. I’d probably rather rest him that week so that he could play the two home interpros and Cardiff games.

Jeez, is he only going home for a week? I'm sure player welfare and JS will dictate, but I too would much rather have him for the 2 home games which we need to target big time.

The Friend Zone
    Sob 3:0 a winger/center registered for Europe is also wearing a moon boot. The academy lads getting a bad run of injuries

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

Griffin and Robb injury prone players now add in Daley you would be lucky to get these guys complete a season of fixtures between the 3 of them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement