Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Sob 3:0 a winger/center registered for Europe is also wearing a moon boot. The academy lads getting a bad run of injuries

if there's another young lad out there named Sean O'brien who's eyeing up a spot in one of the academies he should probably consider other career paths.

edit: and get some very good health insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Even with Bundee back, we should preserve Farrell and Godwin. Challenge Cup dream is over, except a tricky away QF

My midfield in Perpignan would be

10) Fitzgerald
    12) Horwitz
    13) Joyce
    22) Carty
    23) Godwin

With Kelleher and Leader versatile enough too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    if there's another young lad out there named Sean O'brien who's eyeing up a spot in one of the academies he should probably consider other career paths.

edit: and get some very good health insurance

There actually is a Sean O’Brien 4.0 in the Leinster 19s or 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    Even with Bundee back, we should preserve Farrell and Godwin. Challenge Cup dream is over, except a tricky away QF

My midfield in Perpignan would be

10) Fitzgerald
    12) Horwitz
    13) Joyce
    22) Carty
    23) Godwin

With Kelleher and Leader versatile enough too

Think Farrell will start this weekend. Hope Fitzgerald starts though .

We've to monitor very carefully our centre, Farrell and Godwin (who played Super Rugby) have already good amount of gametime under their belts.
    Theorical schedule, assuming no more injuries

Perpignan (A)| Horwitz/Joyce (Fitz as 10)
    Leinster (A)| Aki/Godwiw
    Ulster (H)| Aki/Farrell
    Munster (H)| Aki/Farrell
    Sale (H)| Daly/Godwin (de-register one of Robb/Griff)
    Bordeaux (A)| Daly/Joyce
    Cardiff (A)| Aki/Farrell
    Cheetahs (H)| Aki/Farrell
    Glasgow (A)| Daly/Godwin
    Ospreys (H)| Aki/Godwin
    Treviso (H)| Daly/Godwin
    CC QF (A)| Daly/Joyce
    Zebre (A)| Aki/Farrell
    Cardiff (H)| Aki/Farell
    Munster (A)| Daly/Godwin
    CC Play off (H)| Aki/Farrell

Aki 9 to start
    Farrell 7 to start
    Godwin 6 to start
    Daly 6 to start
    Joyce 3 to start

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    If everyone I’d fit who starts in centre ? Personally starting to think aki/ godwin could be the best pairing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If everyone I’d fit who starts in centre ? Personally starting to think aki/ godwin could be the best pairing

I haven't watched many games this season but has Godwin overtaken Farrell?

The Friend Zone
    I haven't watched many games this season but has Godwin overtaken Farrell?

It’s very close. Farrell is very good and he can do things spectacularly but has the odd game where he’s very quiet. Godwin is like a solid 8/10 every week. Does the basics extremely well. I’d say Farrell has more X factor but Godwin is just composure personified. Never seems to panic or make a mistake. Good in defence too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It’s very close. Farrell is very good and he can do things spectacularly but has the odd game where he’s very quiet. Godwin is like a solid 8/10 every week. Does the basics extremely well. I’d say Farrell has more X factor but Godwin is just composure personified. Never seems to panic or make a mistake. Good in defence too.

He's a very deceptive runner. Whereas Farrell is great at running a good line and finding the gap, Godwin just seems to find space even in traffic and glide through gaps you didn't know were there. Very different but effective players and great to be spoiled for choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Godwin seems to be comfortable kicking too. He's been my player of the year so far. Just like Butler he didn't need any time to get going when he arrived and hasn't slowed down or dropped in performance all season so far.

Hopefully we bring a good support to the RDS Saturday week too. The optimism about the side is most certainly back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

As a Leinster fan, I'd love to see Connacht go on and win this. They need to start picking up try bonuses though and try to leapfrog Sale.

Nobody wants to be the bottom seed and have to head to France.

The Friend Zone
    Craggy rugby saying Farrell is injured. Body’s dropping everywhere

Craggy rugby saying Farrell is injured. Body’s dropping everywhere

So my Horwitz/Joyce pairing looks more and more likely
    We HAVE to preserve Godwin for Leinster, n°23 would be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Fair play to Connachta. I didn't see that coming. The bench is nice and strong too.

Does anyone know if this is being streamed?

First time EVER I'm 100% right in predicting a team :D
    Glorious day, won't last though...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    I didn't realise Conor Fitzgerald joined Connacht.

The Friend Zone
    Jackson starting at ten for Perpignan

The Friend Zone
    I didn't realise Conor Fitzgerald joined Connacht.

Yeah he’s been involved in all the challenge cup squads so far. Doing pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Are BT streaming any Challenge Cup games? Or do they wait till the knockout games?

• Advertisement

That's a team to preserve Pro14 chances

With a mirror effect you have our main team which will play for interpros,
    except the back-3 as there's no choice, and maybe SOB/Thornbury/Masterson as they need gametime after forced injury rest, and may still start 1 or 2 games this christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Perpignan team

https://twitter.com/usap_officiel/status/1073185771358732288

Jackson starts

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Muligatawney

The hashtag for the match brings to mind a gathering of less than reputable gentlemen!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    Godwin may get a call up for the wallabies. Cheika is on the ledge and if he survives past xmas, I'd be shocked.
    I can see Fardy getting a call. Godwin is good enough too from what I've seen of Oz.

The Friend Zone
    Dubinusa wrote: »
    Godwin may get a call up for the wallabies. Cheika is on the ledge and if he survives past xmas, I'd be shocked.
    I can see Fardy getting a call. Godwin is good enough too from what I've seen of Oz.
    Is there not a rule that you need a certain amount of caps to get picked for the wallabies when playing abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

You've got a Friend in me
    Not a snowball's chance in hell is Godwin getting called up.

Not a snowball's chance in hell is Godwin getting called up.

Not now, but as good as he is, he's totally in the mix for RWC 2023, will be 31 y.o, and he didn't hide his potential will to come back in Australia before that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Is there not a rule that you need a certain amount of caps to get picked for the wallabies when playing abroad?

Yep i'm pretty sure there is. As long as he is with Connacht he will not be playing for Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Jack Carty tweeted while back that none of his gear, kicking tees or boots have made it to France. Hope that doesnt mess too much with prep for game

• Advertisement

AFAIK Australia only selects overseas-based players with a minimum of 60 caps. Basically players have to establish themselves in the national team and play for a number of years before they will be considered eligible. If they head off for a bigger paycheck before then, sayonara...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement