Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    typhoony wrote: »
    Doubt that Bundee will play in the next 2 weeks, doesn't he have an important date coming up?

He got married last week and returned to training today I think. Is that what your referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Good interview here with Andy Friend.

http://galwaybayfm.ie/sports/connacht-coach-andy-friend-on-over-the-line/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    The Perpignan player who got the red at the weekend got a 9 week ban. What the hell did he do??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bazzo wrote: »
    The Perpignan player who got the red at the weekend got a 9 week ban. What the hell did he do??

"Dangerously striking with the shoulder" on Healy according to the citing commissioner.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1075699177122861056?s=19

FIXTURE UPDATE | The EPCR have confirmed that our final @ERChallengeCup pool game against Bordeaux-Begles will take place at Stade Chaban-Delmas on Saturday January 19th 2019 (k/o 3pm Irish time). #StrongerInGreen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    "Dangerously striking with the shoulder" on Healy according to the citing commissioner.

Yeah listening to Galway Bay, Matt Healy was on the wrong side of a ruck and prone and your man took him out with a shoulder to the head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Powers have gone up with a 18 point handicap at the weekend!

I will be waiting for squad updates/team naming but that seems rather excessive.

I would have it around 12 points to Leinster at the moment.
    And that is if it is dry.

They are into 17 now.
    That was before the Munster and Ulster teams were named.
    I definitley expect it to end up around 12-14 in the finish.

Mul, it's over
    Schmidt called Cian Kelleher before November internationals to say he was doing well and on his radar etc

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/connacht-rugby/big-interview-i-got-a-call-from-joe-its-nice-to-know-im-getting-closer-37645716.htmlD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Schmidt called Cian Kelleher before November internationals to say he was doing well and on his radar etc

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/connacht-rugby/big-interview-i-got-a-call-from-joe-its-nice-to-know-im-getting-closer-37645716.htmlD

How much does that really mean? Joe has less than 12 months left. Kelleher has no chance of making the Six Nations squad and while he might be given a cap during the warm ups he has no realistic shot at Japan. There are simply too many wings and fullbacks ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    troyzer wrote: »
    How much does that really mean? Joe has less than 12 months left. Kelleher has no chance of making the Six Nations squad and while he might be given a cap during the warm ups he has no realistic shot at Japan. There are simply too many wings and fullbacks ahead of him.

Wingers/FB definitely ahead of him: Stockdale (nailed on starter), Earls (injury prone), Conway, Kearney, Larmour

Wingers/FB on equal footing: Sweetnam, Addison... IMO that's it.

Realistically he's not going to be in the squad for the WC, but if he's on the radar then there's players that the WC is their last hurrah, so he needs to be thinking he's in with a chance after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

evil_seed wrote: »
    Wingers/FB definitely ahead of him: Stockdale (nailed on starter), Earls (injury prone), Conway, Kearney

Realistically he's not going to be in the squad for the WC, but if he's on the radar then there's players that the WC is their last hurrah, so he needs to be thinking he's in with a chance after that.

Ahem, Larmour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    Wingers/FB definitely ahead of him: Stockdale (nailed on starter), Earls (injury prone), Conway, Kearney

Ah you'd have to count Sweetnam and Addison as ahead of him. You've forgotten Larmour and McFadden too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Larmour and Addison are comfortably ahead of him. Sweetnam is closer but still ahead of him by virtue of his test experience.

Mul, it's over

Yeah I didn't suggest he was gonna be in the squad or anything. I posted it as news and as a reflection that his strong start to the season hasn't gone unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Kelleher will be 29 for RWC 2023. If he does well he has his chance there

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

connachta wrote: »
    Kelleher will be 29 for RWC 2023. If he does well he has his chance there

With due respect to Joe he has selected him previously although it was an uncapped international v The Ba Ba’s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Fairly sure Joe said that to Buckley in 2016. It means ****all tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    Fairly sure Joe said that to Buckley in 2016. It means ****all tbh.

Especially since being on Joe's radar won't mean a whole lot come November 2019...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Is every professional player in Ireland not on Joes radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Connacht Team V Leinster

15-9) Tiernan O’Halloran, Cian Kelleher, Kyle Godwin, Tom Farrell, Darragh Leader, Jack Carty, Caolin Blade, (1-8) Denis Buckley, Tom McCartney, Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, Gavin Thornbury, Jarrad Butler (Capt), Colby Fainga’a, Paul Boyle.
    Replacements (16-23): Shane Delahunt, Peter McCabe, Dominic Robertson McCoy, James Cannon, Eoghan Masterson, James Mitchell, David Horwitz, Bundee Aki.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    Disappointing Healy is out but hopefully nothing serious. Deserved opportunity for Darragh Leader, been very good with the game time he has gotten this season. In the mix with 20 to go and bring Bundee on will be a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tobdom

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Connacht Team V Leinster

15-9) Tiernan O’Halloran, Cian Kelleher, Kyle Godwin, Tom Farrell, Darragh Leader, Jack Carty, Caolin Blade, (1-8) Denis Buckley, Tom McCartney, Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, Gavin Thornbury, Jarrad Butler (Capt), Colby Fainga’a, Paul Boyle.
    Replacements (16-23): Shane Delahunt, Peter McCabe, Dominic Robertson McCoy, James Cannon, Eoghan Masterson, James Mitchell, David Horwitz, Bundee Aki.

Gees I'd imagine Copeland is pretty disappointed not to be in the 23, given it was "probably" between himself & Boyle for the 8 jersey according to his article in the Independent! :o

It's probably between myself and Paul Boyle as to who will start in the No 8 jersey this weekend and I quite enjoy the battle we have going on there. Two Gorey lads fighting it out for the Connacht No 8 jersey.

The Friend Zone
    tobdom wrote: »
    Gees I'd imagine Copeland is pretty disappointed not to be in the 23, given it was "probably" between himself & Boyle for the 8 jersey according to his article in the Independent! :o

It's probably between myself and Paul Boyle as to who will start in the No 8 jersey this weekend and I quite enjoy the battle we have going on there. Two Gorey lads fighting it out for the Connacht No 8 jersey.

He might be disappointed but I'm not surprised. He's a guaranteed 2 to 3 penalties a game. Boyle already seems like a more rounded intelligent player than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tobdom

He might be disappointed but I'm not surprised. He's a guaranteed 2 to 3 penalties a game. Boyle already seems like a more rounded intelligent player than him.

Yea, I just thought it was a very forthright statement to make 'publicly', despite his use of the word "probably"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Delighted for Leader tbh. It's been a long road back but he's really worked his bollocks off. Would be fitting to see him score the double-hattrick tomorrow and I'll be proud to shed a tear of joy when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Think leader on the wing will try to help counter Adam Byrnes aerial skills. Very strong 23 from Connacht. Very good chance of extending the winning run

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    It is a strong team. They have a good chance.
    Leinster going with more of a mix than I expected.
    I think it will be a close match, maybe a couple of points in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Angus Lloyd signs on loan for the season

• Registered Users Posts: 17,338 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sick. 17 points up with 12 minutes to go. Have to close that out.

Somebody missed a tackle out on the wing on the near side there in the final phase that proved very costly. Leinster were going backwards and suddenly they made 20 yards from that missed tackle alone.

So many players flying off their feet during that last phase it was ridiculous but Clancy was never going to end the match on one of those up in Dublin. You could see Bundee saying numerous times to Clancy that they are going off their feet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I actually feel physically sick after that. But what a performance for 60 minutes. I hope the lads take that disappointment and anger and blow Ulster away next week. Take it out on them. No more f*ck-ups

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement