Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Full-strenght vs Munster hoping no real injuries...
    But we can mix vs Ulster, they will do the same

I'd go with :

1) McCabe
    2) Heff (Capt.)
    3) Carey
    4) Roux
    5) Dillane
    6) Masterson
    7) Connolly
    8) Copeland
    9) Mitchell
    10) Carty
    11) Healy
    12) Daly
    13) Godwin
    14) Kelleher
    15) Leader

16) McCartney
    17) Buckley or O'Donnell, the fitter one
    18) McCoy
    19) Cannon
    20) Butler
    21) Blade
    22) Farrell (Godwin covering for 10)
    23) Joyce (vs his ex-team)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    I think they can and should go full strength for all the interpros, they rested players during the European rounds which none of the other provinces could do and they can rest them again during the next round.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I think they can and should go full strength for all the interpros, they rested players during the European rounds which none of the other provinces could do and they can rest them again during the next round.

That's where we disagree. Sale incredible home loss vs Bordeaux has changed everything.
    If Connacht get 10 points, they should be qualified for Champions Cup assuming they win their home QF this time.

I know we won't sacrify Interpros but when you see a losing Challenge Cup SF should be enough considering the other clubs, we shoudn't underestimate this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

connachta wrote: »
    Bazzo wrote: »

That's where we disagree. Sale incredible home loss vs Bordeaux has changed everything.
    If Connacht get 10 points, they should be qualified for Champions Cup assuming they win their home QF this time.

I know we won't sacrify Interpros but when you see a losing Challenge Cup SF should be enough considering the other clubs, we shoudn't underestimate this route.

Go understrength for Ulster and then full strength for Munster to get the body ready for Europe.

Connacht are by far the most improved Pro14 team this season, they'll be there or there abouts in the final stretch and will be in a position to compete for a home playoff.

They need to throw the kitchen sink at the challenge cup now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Getting out of the group of challenge cup would be great but no guarantee of winning the competition. The pro 14 is the bread and butter qualify for champions cup that way anything in the challenge cup is a bonus

• Advertisement

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Getting out of the group of challenge cup would be great but no guarantee of winning the competition. The pro 14 is the bread and butter qualify for champions cup that way anything in the challenge cup is a bonus

I've never talked about winning it, but about a losing (qualifying) SF
    Fixing all means on an uncertain 3rd place in Pro14 matters way less than playing big guns in Europe IMO. Attendance isn't built on away SF but home sold-out massive legendary games vs Toulouse, Wasps, Quins and so on

The Friend Zone
    Stephan Fitzgerald signs on loan for 3 months. Exciting signing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Daly and Fitzgerald are decent signings. I know some will groan and say getting leftovers from other provinces, but they're both decent players who've shown decent potential but just haven't had a decent shot at consistent game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Daly and Fitzgerald are decent signings. I know some will groan and say getting leftovers from other provinces, but they're both decent players who've shown decent potential but just haven't had a decent shot at consistent game time.
    So, decent then? :pac: :D

The Friend Zone
    Team I’d go with at the weekend assuming no new injures:

McCabe heff bealham
    Dillane roux
    Masterson Copeland faingaa
    Mitchell Horwitz
    Daly Godwin
    Healy leader kelleher
    Tom Buckley Carey thornbury boyle Lloyd Conor fitz Stephan fitz

And Munster:

Buckley Tom bealham
    Thornbury roux
    Boyle Copeland/masterson butler
    Blade carty
    Bundee Farrell
    Healy toh leader
    Heff McCabe Carey dillane faingaa Mitchell Horwitz kelleher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    It's good to see Fitzgerald move. He could be a keeper. It seems he has no future at munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

prawnsambo wrote: »
    So, decent then? :pac: :D

"Daycent" would've been a better choice of words I guess :D

we may be pleased with covering loans, but that's clearly not a good sign about any of Griffin/Robb/DeBuitlear/TOH/Niyi injuries...

Ulster lineup is strong. I'd take the 4 points

Ulster: L Ludik; H Speight, W Addison, D Cave, A Kernohan; J McPhillips, J Cooney;: E O’Sullivan, R Herring (captain), M Moore, I Nagle, K Treadwell, N Timoney, J Murphy, M Coetzee;

Replacements: A McBurney, T O’Hagan, R Kane, C Ross, G Jones, D Shanahan, P Nelson, S McCloskey.

Darragh Leader, Cian Kelleher, Tom Farrell, Bundee Aki, Kyle Godwin, Jack Carty, Caolin Blade, (1-8) Denis Buckley, Shane Delahunt, Conor Carey, Gavin Thornbury, Quinn Roux, Sean O’Brien, Colby Fainga’a, Jarrad Butler (Capt).

Replacements (16-23): Dave Heffernan, Peter McCabe, Dominic Robertson McCoy, Ultan Dillane, Paul Boyle, James Mitchell, David Horwitz, Stephen Fitzgerald

1st cap already for Fitzgerald n°2
    Buckey and SOB are fit, that is massive good news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Only seen Friend’s quotes about whether he should have made changes and brought on more in the RDS now, said he would look at it and review. Good to see, no mention of ref decisions or player mistakes but willing to accept responsibility personally, not that he necessarily should but a great sign of leadership.

Very happy with Carey starting vs his ex team, always extra motivation in this case
    Though, it matters a lot for Munster and Sale : Bealham took a knock, injured or rested?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Only seen Friend’s quotes about whether he should have made changes and brought on more in the RDS now, said he would look at it and review. Good to see, no mention of ref decisions or player mistakes but willing to accept responsibility personally, not that he necessarily should but a great sign of leadership.

Really happy with his interviews in general, praising performance but still focused on not getting the win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    Really happy with his interviews in general, praising performance but still focused on not getting the win
    Think we should sign him up 5 years and allow him to work on the longer term

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    gally74 wrote: »
    Think we should sign him up 5 years and allow him to work on the longer term

With the 6 month clause that wouldn't mean anything really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me
    Huge game this evening! Absolutely sickened I’m missing this and the Munster game. Will probably end up being the only two home games I miss all season.

The Friend Zone
    Healy could be fit for next week according to craggy rugby

Healy could be fit for next week according to craggy rugby

Massive news
    If TOH is ok too and Fitzgerald step up, we will finally rest Kelleher soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

connachta wrote: »
    Massive news
    If TOH is ok too and Fitzgerald step up, we will finally rest Kelleher soon

Kelleher was poor this evening

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Kelleher was poor this evening

I wouldn't be that harsh but he definitely need that rest. Fitzgerald looked very lively in the meantime...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Nothing went right for Kelleher tbf. Just one of those nights for him but he has been a huge improvement this year.

Bar Leader I don't think the back 3 ever got going.

Crucial win though and sets us up nicely for Munster.

The Friend Zone
    Think the pack depth is something to really admire now. There been a great job done there. I do think another quality loosehead and maybe to upgrade Robertson mccoy could be needed.

Dillane thornbury and roux are all excellent options in second row.
    Back row depth is amazing.

Blessed with three quality hookers. I was thinking that while they’re all great and being able to rotate that maybe picking either delahunt or heffernan as the out and out first choice would improve that individuals international opportunities. I think all three are as good as some of the options in the Irish squad. I’d rather them all higher than Tracy and herring.

Think the pack depth is something to really admire now. There been a great job done there. I do think another quality loosehead and maybe to upgrade Robertson mccoy could be needed.

Dillane thornbury and roux are all excellent options in second row.
    Back row depth is amazing.

Blessed with three quality hookers. I was thinking that while they’re all great and being able to rotate that maybe picking either delahunt or heffernan as the out and out first choice would improve that individuals international opportunities. I think all three are as good as some of the options in the Irish squad. I’d rather them all higher than Tracy and herring.

I even thought McCoy is an improved material, has become very solid at scrumtime at least.
    That's why I think Conan O'Donnell should be "forced" to keep playing LH, that's where we need him because of Coulson affair
    BTW COD was due back in December, that's now, maybe a good chance to see him vs Sale/Bordeaux? Hope so

No, Connacht have to go absolutely full strength again. Anyone who needs a rest can get it in the European weekends. Connacht have a golden opportunity here, a win over Munster would be huge for this season AND next season.

I kinda agree but it's not about theory, it's about some guys who need their rest now, exhausted overplayed runners might cost us the game.

Blade isn't in this category yet, Thornbury and SOB neither as they were injured in Oct/November. Butler and Buckley were rested for Both Perpignan games so good to go. Our 3 hookers alternate so are fresh like a spring breeze

So in the end your're right about 95%, i'm relieved.
    There are still 2 who could prove to be exhausted IMO, and should be kept as impact players on the bench : Fainga'a and Kelleher.

Fainga'a played from February to December 1500 minutes of rugby with only 1 month off after Super Rugby
    Kelleher played 762 minutes over 800 possible minutes since the 29th of September (3 months he's constantly on)

• Advertisement

I'd go with (assuming Bealham's there)

1) Buckley
    2) McCartney (experience and throws)
    3) Bealham (if not Carey)
    4) Dillane (grint)
    5) Thonbury (form and jump)
    6) SOB (probably the player which will make us win)
    7) Butler (Capt.)
    8) Boyle (X factor vs his ex-team)
    9) Blade
    10) Carty
    12) Aki (rest him completely for the next 2 games)
    13) Farrell
    11) Healy, so good to have him back
    14) Godwin (I'd throw Fitzgerald but it's a risk...)
    15) Leader (keep his momentum

16) Delahunt (harsh on Heff)
    17) McCabe (has to make Munster regret)
    18) Carey (if no Bealham, McCoy)
    19) Roux
    20) Fainga'a
    21) Mitchell
    22) Horwitz
    23) Kelleher

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement