Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Lebute wrote: »
    I 100 agree with you here - in fact i think Lam being manager really prohibited his development for 3 years due to having to adhere to his rigid system.

It helped his passing and running but took away any chance of using his kicking from hand, which improved last year, but is a serious weapon in attack this year.

He was always solid in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    I actually think carty was one of very few players who played well/ slightly improved under kk. He’s come on even more this year but I think being freed from lams super structural approach has been key to him.

Was thinking something similar, Keane was a strong technical coach in NZ and he definitely improved some areas of carty but I don't think he would ever reach the level he has so far under him without the more positive outlook friend has brought. Bit of belief from others will do wonders for some

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

Indo stating kelleher likely to rejoin Leinster on a 2 year deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Fitz + NIQ + A. Byrne/Keenan and we'd be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That would be strange if true. He’d be behind Daly, McFadden, Lowe, probably Byrne and Kearney too. With Keenan coming through and Kearney still around there is also Larmour playing on the wing too. Kelliher still has the same defensive frailties that saw him leave in the first place. Those were very much highlighted against Ulster last week. In effect he’d be coming back to fight for an A team place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

connachta wrote: »
    Fitz + NIQ + A. Byrne/Keenan and we'd be ok

If we're looking at re-signing Kelleher I'd be hard pushed to imagine us quick releasing Byrne at the same time, considering they're at around the same level.

Mul, it's over
    He would be giving up a starting spot on a team that are now well odds on to be in the champions cup for what?? Not even a bench spot.
    He seems to be really enjoying playing rugby at the moment.

The only pattern visible here is:
    Poster1 " Indo reporting a move for player A"
    Multiple posters "With superficial but accurate analysis from multiple aspects this makes no sense for anyone"

TOH to Munster was a similarly bonkers one

• Registered Users Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

He would be giving up a starting spot on a team that are now well odds on to be in the champions cup for what?? Not even a bench spot.
    He seems to be really enjoying playing rugby at the moment.

The only pattern visible here is:
    Poster1 " Indo reporting a move for player A"
    Multiple posters "With superficial but accurate analysis from multiple aspects this makes no sense for anyone"

TOH to Munster was a similarly bonkers one

The Indo love a rumour in fairness. They were the ones who started the Dillane to Munster one too I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's renewal leverage imo and he's right to try and get the best possible Connacht contract he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Munster: Andrew Conway; Keith Earls, Chris Farrell, Dan Goggin, Alex Wootton; Joey Carbery, Alby Mathewson; Jeremy Loughman, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), Tommy O’Donnell, Arno Botha.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Dave Kilcoyne, Stephen Archer, Billy Holland, CJ Stander, Conor Murray, Tyler Bleyendaal, Sammy Arnold.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    Jaysus!
    They must be resting a few next week!

The Friend Zone
    Connacht(15-9) Darragh Leader, Cian Kelleher, Tom Farrell, Tom Daly, Matt Healy, Jack Carty, Caolin Blade, (1-8) Denis Buckley, Dave Heffernan (Capt), Dominic Robertson Mc-Coy, Gavin Thornbury, Quinn Roux, Paul Boyle, Colby Fainga’a, Eoghan Masterson.
    Replacements (16-23): Tom McCartney, Peter McCabe, Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, Cillian Gallagher, Angus Lloyd, David Horwitz, Colm DeBuitlear.

The Friend Zone
    Jaysus!

Conference game between 2nd and 3rd Munster had to go for it

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Connacht(15-9) Darragh Leader, Cian Kelleher, Tom Farrell, Tom Daly, Matt Healy, Jack Carty, Caolin Blade, (1-8) Denis Buckley, Dave Heffernan (Capt), Dominic Robertson Mc-Coy, Gavin Thornbury, Quinn Roux, Paul Boyle, Colby Fainga’a, Eoghan Masterson.
    Replacements (16-23): Tom McCartney, Peter McCabe, Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, Cillian Gallagher, Angus Lloyd, David Horwitz, Colm DeBuitlear.

Yelp :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Jaysus!
    They must be resting a few next week!

Its what munster have done all year, go near full the week before europe, resting those IRFU mandated but that's it.

Mul, it's over
    Where is Godwin?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

You've got a Friend in me
    Great to see Gallagher involved but no SOB is a surprise
    Daly over Godwin too is a puzzler

Strong Munster team

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tobdom

Not very confident reading those team sheets..... Know nothing of Tom Daly really other than he has promise, but not satisified he's been training with us long enough to have a tight enough partnership with any of our centres, going up against the team Munster have named.....

Will happily be proved wrong. Our pack should have the edge I would hope. Need Healy to hit the ground running on his return from injury.

This will be an interesting one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    wp_rathead wrote: »
    Great to see Gallagher involved but no SOB is a surprise
    Daly over Godwin too is a puzzler

Strong Munster team

though goodwin was excellent the past 2 weeks would have him on the wing before kelleher too,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    It very much looks like we've rotated a lot of players we didn't need to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Much weaker team from Connacht than I expected. Is it just injuries not being reported or rotation ? Colby seems to be getting flogged while Ultan is benching again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    I find the Daly at 12 the most surprising/worrying call. He needs to hit the ground running.

Presume Butler picked up knock as he was off early enough last week. Big chance for Masterson to re-establish himself. Hope SOB hasn’t got injured. It’s not going great for Robin Copeland unless he’s injured.

Delighted to see Gallagher and De Buitléar involved.

Lloyd over Mitchell seems unusual unless the latter is being punished for kicking ball out last week, hope we’re not down to 2 scrum halves.

It would really be the biggest win of the season considering teams named but still think Connacht have a right shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Redo91

Very strange to rest so many for this one. With it being inter-conference this was the game we should have targeted over the other two. If we end up with 6 points from the interpros (which is a distinct possibility given those teams) then that’s a poor return IMO. Two wins was very achievable but hard to see it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Redo91

Very strange to rest so many for this one. With it being inter-conference this was the game we should have targeted over the other two. If we end up with 6 points from the interpros (which is a distinct possibility given those teams) then that’s a poor return IMO. Two wins was very achievable but hard to see it now.

Mul, it's over
    Just read website info - Butler out with a knock. We haven’t really rested that many I think - bar Tom Daly first choice available back line named. Bealham on bench due to Irish player minutes presumably. Rest of pack pretty close to first choice available it seems.

I was worried when I first saw the team, but after thinking about it, I'm slowly coming to terms with it.
    Front row is alright. Would be happier with Bealham, but DRM has looked decent recently. Our front row bench is very good

2nd row - can't complain, and Dillane will offer something off of the bench

Back Row - Pretty happy with it, but lacking at the bench

Half backs - Can't complain :)

Back three are fine - Leader has been consistent recently. Little shakey under the high ball

Centers - yelp - I dont know enough about Daly. Did he come through the same underage group as Farrell? Maybe they have history?

All in all, with the crowd behind them, and on what looks to be a smashing day for rugby, I think we're in decent shape.
    Could be better, could be a lot worse.
    Bench is where we might lose it

Mul, it's over
    I was worried when I first saw the team, but after thinking about it, I'm slowly coming to terms with it.
    Front row is alright. Would be happier with Bealham, but DRM has looked decent recently. Our front row bench is very good

Back three are fine - Leader has been consistent recently. Little shakey under the high ball

Centers - yelp - I dont know enough about Daly. Did he come through the same underage group as Farrell? Maybe they have history?

All in all, with the crowd behind them, and on what looks to be a smashing day for rugby, I think we're in decent shape.

I kind of agree.
    I'm not as panicked as first.
    When you go through the teams line by line it will be tight (Daly excluded as I just don't know, but he can't be better than Goodwin).
    The bench is a different story.
    I'd say Munster by 5 :(

Mul, it's over
    stephen_n wrote: »
    That would be strange if true. He’d be behind Daly, McFadden, Lowe, probably Byrne and Kearney too. With Keenan coming through and Kearney still around there is also Larmour playing on the wing too. Kelliher still has the same defensive frailties that saw him leave in the first place. Those were very much highlighted against Ulster last week. In effect he’d be coming back to fight for an A team place.

Kelleher left of his own choice rather than any flaw, Cullen was complaining about the move at the time sure. He has improved generally speaking and this is definitely his best season, hopefully he stays in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Daly is year older than Farell but wouldnt worry about history and even if they had it would be odd game of underage only theyd have played together.
    Wouldnt really worry about lineups tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Kelleher left of his own choice rather than any flaw, Cullen was complaining about the move at the time sure. He has improved generally speaking and this is definitely his best season, hopefully he stays in the West.

He left of his own choice because he wasn't getting ahead or looking like getting ahead of the players in front of him. He is undoubtedly talented but his defensive frailties were very apparent every time he played for Leinster. I'm pretty sure Cullen wouldn't be happy with any player leaving, but doubt he lost too much sleep over it either. Kelleher has continued to look impressive going forward but is also a liability defensively, especially with ball in the air.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement