Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    stephen_n wrote: »
    He left of his own choice because he wasn't getting ahead or looking like getting ahead of the players in front of him. He is undoubtedly talented but his defensive frailties were very apparent every time he played for Leinster. I'm pretty sure Cullen wouldn't be happy with any player leaving, but doubt he lost too much sleep over it either. Kelleher has continued to look impressive going forward but is also a liability defensively, especially with ball in the air.

I was just clarifying that it was his own decision as your post could have been read differently. I think he has improved generally defensively, made some big hits this season and seems better at reading the game but he's obviously still prone to a howler under the high ball alright.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Personally think he could move up the depth chart quick enough there but hoping he stays west.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    gally74 wrote: »
    though goodwin was excellent the past 2 weeks would have him on the wing before kelleher too,

Godwin I thought was poor defensively in the Leinster game, got caught a few times out of position defensively (which as a guy who was signed as a 10/12 is not surprising).

Kelleher may be a weaker tackler but hes positioning is far better

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I was just clarifying that it was his own decision as your post could have been read differently. I think he has improved generally defensively, made some big hits this season and seems better at reading the game but he's obviously still prone to a howler under the high ball alright.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Personally think he could move up the depth chart quick enough there but hoping he stays west.

I just think looking at the chances of meaningful game time Connacht is still a much better bet than Leinster. Who also have Tomane and ROL for wing cover in bigger games, who I forgot about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    Would Kelleher be first choice in a fully-fit Connacht team? i.e. if TOH, Healy, Niyi and Kelleher were all fit, who loses out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Would Kelleher be first choice in a fully-fit Connacht team? i.e. if TOH, Healy, Niyi and Kelleher were all fit, who loses out?

I think he'd have a good chance of getting ahead of Niyi but not so sure if he could stay ahead of Leader if he can keep fit. The back 3 are so injury prone that he'd have a good chance of being in the side it he was fit anyway though.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over

Niyi on bench for me and that was the general trend earlier on in the season as far as I recall though he did start of Kelleher once IIRC.

It’s not an area of massive strength for Leinster at the moment is it? Compared to the array of riches elsewhere I mean and with some aging players.

A move back mightn’t work out of course and he definitely still has areas to iron out but genuinely could see him being a fairly prominent player for Leinster quickly enough. Albeit I know nothing about the younger prospects coming through there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone

It surprisingly rare they've all been fit but the one occasion I can remember all in the 23 Niyi was on the bench.

With all 4 hitting their respective peaks though I would probably have Kelleher missing out, but that is more on past seasons than this season

Mul, it's over
    Bazzo wrote: »
    I think he'd have a good chance of getting ahead of Niyi but not so sure if he could stay ahead of Leader if he can keep fit. The back 3 are so injury prone that he'd have a good chance of being in the side it he was fit anyway though.

Actually had forgotten about Leader responding myself. Great to see him doing so well, he was really impressive at the start of last season too. Hopefully he gets a clean run of it with injuries for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    If we are in the Champions Cup next year we will need more than four for the back three.
    All fit and all firing he will still be starting at least 50%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    I forgot about Leader too, he's looked really good in recent weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Niyi on bench for me and that was the general trend earlier on in the season as far as I recall though he did start of Kelleher once IIRC.

It’s not an area of massive strength for Leinster at the moment is it? Compared to the array of riches elsewhere I mean and with some aging players.

A move back mightn’t work out of course and he definitely still has areas to iron out but genuinely could see him being a fairly prominent player for Leinster quickly enough. Albeit I know nothing about the younger prospects coming through there.

In the short term he’d be in a long queue and no guarantees of meaningful game time. In the medium term with RK and Ferg probably retiring in the next 18-24 months and maybe DK too due to injuries. He’d have a good chance then of climbing the depth chart. But if he moves this summer he’d have a lot of splinters gathered I’d say. If he does fancy the move back, two more years with Connacht getting meaningful starts in big games would make him a better player and give a better chance of breaking into the senior 23. This seems like kite flying by the Indo or his agent.

Mul, it's over
    stephen_n wrote: »
    In the short term he’d be in a long queue and no guarantees of meaningful game time. In the medium term with RK and Ferg probably retiring in the next 18-24 months and maybe DK too due to injuries. He’d have a good chance then of climbing the depth chart. But if he moves this summer he’d have a lot of splinters gathered I’d say. If he does fancy the move back, two more years with Connacht getting meaningful starts in big games would make him a better player and give a better chance of breaking into the senior 23. This seems like kite flying by the Indo or his agent.

RK and Larmour will basically be out until December next season though. Of the rest, Lowe is obviously a starter but there’s no else that he wouldn’t have a realistic shot of bypassing and he would likely get the opportunity to do so with the RWC ongoing. Anyway I hope you’re right and it’s just kite flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    I think Munster will win. Basically because of the centers.
    Daly is like having an academy player getting a start. Goggin and Farrell are both very good players and Goggin has really impressed this year.
    Thornbury must be ahead of Dillane atm. He has been very good. Brilliant line out operator. I reckon he's going to get capped for the Ireland team. He may even be a world cup bolter!
    I want to see how Conway performs. He hasn't played much at fb this season. Massive opportunity for him.
    It should be a tight match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    Daly is year older than Farell but wouldnt worry about history and even if they had it would be odd game of underage only theyd have played together.
    Wouldnt really worry about lineups tbh

Daly and Farell played center in AIL for Lansdowne IIRC

Mul, it's over
    Interesting to hear Murray Kinsella say on the 42 podcast that SOB was very close to selection for Autumn internationals squad. If he has a knock this week, hope it’s nothing major obviously.

Depth in back row is great now though, even without Butler and SOB, have a lot of confidence in the three named tomorrow, really hope Masterson goes well, been a tough slog for him with injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

its_phil wrote: »
    Daly and Farell played center in AIL for Lansdowne IIRC
    Didnt think of Lansdowne. Had forgotten farrell had also been Lansdowne for a period but wouldnt think too much of it as a factor is more point was making

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Connacht probably wouldn't win it on the paper
    Home support has to be influential

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Did Tom Daly and Tom Farrell not play together at the same junior World Cup, with the likes of leader, scholes and Crosbie?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Did Tom Daly and Tom Farrell not play together at the same junior World Cup, with the likes of leader, scholes and Crosbie?
    Daly missed world cup or all bar one game with injury that year and Farrell only played in world cup so they will have trained together but not played much together at international level

The Friend Zone
    Daly missed world cup or all bar one game with injury that year and Farrell only played in world cup so they will have trained together but not played much together at international level

Yeah checked there, they played together once at u20 level. Should know each other from lansdown and Leinster underage systems

• Advertisement

Lloyd over Mitchell seems unusual unless the latter is being punished for kicking ball out last week, hope we’re not down to 2 scrum halves.

I think Mitchell is preserved to start vs his ex-club Sale, we won't register Lloyd as Kerrins was (for nothing).
    We have only one remaining registration spot bar front-row until final phases. And I think one of Daly, or more likely S.Fitzgerald will get the nod

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    I think Mitchell is preserved to start vs his ex-club Sale, we won't register Lloyd as Kerrins was (for nothing).
    We have only one remaining registration spot bar front-row until final phases. And I think one of Daly, or more likely S.Fitzgerald will get the nod

I doubt it. I mean the sub scrum half will probably only play 10-15 mins tonight barring injury. No reason Mitchell couldn’t do that and start next week.

If Blade needs to come off early for any reason though it’s far from ideal that this will be Lloyd’s first game time in Connacht jersey.

I doubt it. I mean the sub scrum half will probably only play 10-15 mins tonight barring injury. No reason Mitchell couldn’t do that and start next week.

If Blade needs to come off early for any reason though it’s far from ideal that this will be Lloyd’s first game time in Connacht jersey.

My point was if Mitchell have got injured during the 10 15 minutes he'd have played, we would have had no other option than to register Llyod for Europe, meaning we couldn't register any of Daly/Fitzgerald for the next 2 games

Mul, it's over
    Treviso beat Glasgow. Opportunity to go within two points of the top tonight or even one with a bonus point win, as unlikely as that is. Unthinkable a few weeks ago.

The Friend Zone
    Glasgow lost 20-17 away to treviso, now only 6 points ahead of Connacht with Connacht playing later. Ospreys 14-8 Cardiff at half time

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    My point was if Mitchell have got injured during the 10 15 minutes he'd have played, we would have had no other option than to register Llyod for Europe, meaning we couldn't register any of Daly/Fitzgerald for the next 2 games

Yeah sorry I got that but I would rather register Lloyd for Europe than have him coming on for his first appearance in this game. Especially with Healy and De Buitléar back.

The Friend Zone
    Yeah sorry I got that but I would rather register Lloyd for Europe than have him coming on for his first appearance in this game. Especially with Healy and De Buitléar back.

I’d tend to agree especially if toh is likely to be back for either of the two European matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Sportsgriund regulars: what time do gates tend to open?:) can’t seem to find for tonight!

The Friend Zone
    bennyl10 wrote: »
    Sportsgriund regulars: what time do gates tend to open?:) can’t seem to find for tonight!
    Think it’s two hours before kick off?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Think it’s two hours before kick off?

Sometimes 90 minutes. Pop in Murtys for a hot one if you're too early. 5 minute walk each way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement