Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    I’d think of it the opposite way. Give the other lads as much game time as possible so that they’re ready to go.

Agree, let Mitchell and horwitz develop a partnership. Daly won't be starting anyway if Godwin and Farrell are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    Connacht can be poor in Italy too. You all forgot are record there. Always tough.

Look 21 would be a very nice outcome. 58 points in the end, on course for Top3 and likely home play-off at worse

Connacht have to be aiming for pro14 playoffs and automatic HCC qualification. Otherwise what is the point.

Zebre are rubbish. There is at least a 4 pointer there for Connacht for the taking. Thinking about LBP is total BS.

Ospreys and Cardiff are nothing special. Glasgow mid 6n has potential win given Glasgow's recent form too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Connacht have to be aiming for pro14 playoffs and automatic HCC qualification. Otherwise what is the point.

Zebre are rubbish. There is at least a 4 pointer there for Connacht for the taking. Thinking about LBP is total BS.

Ospreys and Cardiff are nothing special. Glasgow mid 6n has potential win given Glasgow's recent form too.

It's not "BS" it's reasonable.
    The point is to qualify. I fu***** don't care if it's automatic, via Challenge Cup or via a home play-off

Mul, it's over
    b.gud wrote: »
    edit, I know that I should probably add in Glasgow but I really couldn't be arsed looking up the rest of their matches

Cheetahs get two TBP wins v Kings and a TBP v Zebre in next 3 games and they are back in the mix for playoffs.

Mul, it's over
    The point is to qualify. I fu***** don't care if it's automatic, via Challenge Cup or via a home play-off

Connacht have to aim for pro14 playoffs. If you don't think that is the aim then it is BS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

So you don't care whether connacht have the chance of progressing towards silverware firstly in the pro14 and then in the Challenge cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Independent reporting Kelleher heading back to Leinster at the end of the season. Bit of a strange move to me, I knew there was rumors of it but will he see much game-time?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/connacht-winger-cian-kelleher-will-return-to-leinster-next-season-1.3750487

Mul, it's over
    testtech05 wrote: »
    Independent reporting Kelleher heading back to Leinster at the end of the season. Bit of a strange move to me, I knew there was rumors of it but will he see much game-time?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/connacht-winger-cian-kelleher-will-return-to-leinster-next-season-1.3750487

McFadden and RK early 30s. Dave K nearly 30.

Tomane won't be retained after his current contract so forward planning. Think he will get plenty of gametime

Mul, it's over
    There is a fierce bang of Fionn Carr off this move. Kelleher thriving in Connacht on much needed game time, If I were him I'd be looking to get another 1 - 2 seasons of first team rugby under my belt before jumping.

That said - Lancaster is having a big impact on a lot of young players coming through and Contemponi is going to be a big draw for any backs player.

Still surprised to read about the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    McFadden and RK early 30s. Dave K nearly 30.

Tomane won't be retained after his current contract so forward planning. Think he will get plenty of gametime

Tomane had 2 months of rugby before a serious injury. We've absolutely no idea of whether he's going to be kept or not. His first 2 months with Leinster was not that dissimilar to a certain Isa Nacewa...didn't settle very well, some mediocre showings and played out of his best position before copping a serious injury. It will be another year before we've any realistic idea of how he's viewed for another contract.

DK and McFadden are both contracted for next season, I believe. Kelleher returning at this point is a bit odd unless we expect a couple of others to depart. He'll get game time but he certainly won't get the same amount that he has enjoyed in Connacht. He's going to be scrapping with other squad players for Pro14 starts, I expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Buer wrote: »
    Tomane had 2 months of rugby before a serious injury. We've absolutely no idea of whether he's going to be kept or not. His first 2 months with Leinster was not that dissimilar to a certain Isa Nacewa...didn't settle very well, some mediocre showings and played out of his best position before copping a serious injury. It will be another year before we've any realistic idea of how he's viewed for another contract.

DK and McFadden are both contracted for next season, I believe. Kelleher returning at this point is a bit odd unless we expect a couple of others to depart. He'll get game time but he certainly won't get the same amount that he has enjoyed in Connacht. He's going to be scrapping with other squad players for Pro14 starts, I expect.

He's played nearly every game this season. I hope he's happy warming the bench or sitting in the stands... I'm sure it's hard to resist the lure of a big club, especially your home province, but like Venjur there's a definite feel of Fionn Carr off this move and I can see him playing at most a bit part there.

Zzippy wrote: »
    He's played nearly every game this season. I hope he's happy warming the bench or sitting in the stands... I'm sure it's hard to resist the lure of a big club, especially your home province, but like Venjur there's a definite feel of Fionn Carr off this move and I can see him playing at most a bit part there.

Yup. He's going to get a crack during the RWC and that is pretty much going to be a dress rehearsal for someone getting a shot at a higher level when the international players return.

Even at that, there is going to be only 4 slots for a back three player to be shared between Adam Byrne, Daly, Lowe, Kelleher, Tomane, Keenan, Dave Kearney and McFadden. Even with an injury or two at the start of the season, he's going to be hard pressed to break into the first team straight away.

I wouldn't be surprised if this move sees either Keenan or Jack Kelly move to Connacht. Both are out of the academy this season along with Jimmy O'Brien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    Zzippy wrote: »
    there's a definite feel of Fionn Carr off this move and I can see him playing at most a bit part there.

Sure look, if it doesn't work out ye can have him back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    If kelleher moves would hope Adam Byrne goes the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone

Na you're ok. If players don't want to be at Connacht let them on. I wouldn't be rushing to bring back a player that's left

If kelleher moves would hope Adam Byrne goes the other way.

I don't see it happening unless Byrne himself is pushing for the move (which I wouldn't think he would be). I'd imagine that Leinster would take Byrne over Kelleher. He has 8 starts this season and has worked his way back up the selection list.

I would say there's a very strong chance of either Kelly or Keenan making the move though if Connacht are open to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Nah, ye'll probably break him! You broke it, you bought it... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

RTÉ are saying Connacht have confirmed this but can’t see anything from our twitter or on the website.

The Friend Zone
    Redo91 wrote: »
    RTÉ are saying Connacht have confirmed this but can’t see anything from our twitter or on the website.

Can’t see anything myself but Connacht usually do press conferences on a Tuesday so there’s a possibility it was said there and just not published anywhere yet?

The Friend Zone
    In better news, Stephan kerins pictures training today. Could mean blade can get a rest of the next two weeks.

Butler and toh also back in training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Disappointing, think Kelleher has come on a lot over the last twelve months, can see him going well for Leinster.

On the plus side, it’s an area with a fair bit of depth and reckon Colm De Buitléar is more than capable of stepping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Can’t see anything myself but Connacht usually do press conferences on a Tuesday so there’s a possibility it was said there and just not published anywhere yet?

https://twitter.com/Furlo/status/1082602880266371072

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

I know given the circumstances it wasn’t an option but it’s a real shame the Reece singing didn’t happen if we lose CK.

Mul, it's over
    Buer wrote: »

Tomane was signed to fill a gap. There seems to be plenty of young guys coming through so I don't think he will get an extension. My guess is Leinster have been told this by Nucifora and unlike Ulster with pienaar aren't hanging around on planning beyond.

Now if Ferg, RK and DK moved on/retired post RWC that's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Definitely going to need some new faces in the back three if Kelleher is off. We were probably one short as it was once the Reece move was called off.

Pity to lose Kelleher just when he's started to play regularly more than ever for us but always a risk that these lads will want to go home if they get an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Definitely going to need some new faces in the back three if Kelleher is off. We were probably one short as it was once the Reece move was called off.

Pity to lose Kelleher just when he's started to play regularly more than ever for us but always a risk that these lads will want to go home if they get an offer.

I imagine Jack Kelly won't be given a senior contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    troyzer wrote: »
    I imagine Jack Kelly won't be given a senior contract.

Untill he signs for Connacht, we train him up and then Leinster take him back:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    http://https://www.the42.ie/cian-kelleher-leinster-4428694-Jan2019/

Looks like it is confirmed.
    From a Connacht point of view it's disappointing but not a disaster by any means.

From his point of view, unless there is a women involved, it makes little sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

In actual contract News Jack Carty signs a 2 year extension https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1082656806500028416

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement