Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

I'm not annoyed at Byrne missing out. I'm more confused.

Carty has been on a great run of form lately but Byrne has been consistently better for ages and still is.

He was third choice only 6 weeks ago in the AIs. I don't understand what has changed since then.

Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    troyzer wrote: »

Carty has been on a great run of form lately but Byrne has been consistently better for ages and still is.

He was third choice only 6 weeks ago in the AIs. I don't understand what has changed since then.

Very strange.

Your answer is there. Carty currently on a great run of form Players aren't picked because they have been been better in the past. Ultimately its 3rd choice outhalf it doesn't matter. Byrne or Carty neither would probably feature much in the 6 nations anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Very strange.

Byrne hasn't been consistently better for ages, Carty has been in better form this season which is the last 4 months. Byrne gets an armchair ride from his forwards, Carty plays on the gainline in a team often going backwards. Carty offers more going forward in terms of breaking threat, passing and bringing his backs into play around him. He's a better pivot. Byrne is a better kicker, but Carty has improved that hugely and it's no longer a big advantage.

In the recent head-to-head Carty played better, yes Leinster came back to win but that was down to Leinster's bench and forward power and not anything Byrne did, while Carty was instrumental in Connacht's scores and general attacking play. Plus he created and scored a cracking try himself. Not a lot he could do in the second half with zero possession. I'd say that night made up Joe's mind.

Zzippy wrote: »

Very strange.

Byrne hasn't been consistently better for ages, Carty has been in better form this season which is the last 4 months. Byrne gets an armchair ride from his forwards, Carty plays on the gainline in a team often going backwards. Carty offers more going forward in terms of breaking threat, passing and bringing his backs into play around him. He's a better pivot. Byrne is a better kicker, but Carty has improved that hugely and it's no longer a big advantage.

In the recent head-to-head Carty played better, yes Leinster came back to win but that was down to Leinster's bench and forward power and not anything Byrne did, while Carty was instrumental in Connacht's scores and general attacking play. Plus he created and scored a cracking try himself. Not a lot he could do in the second half with zero possession. I'd say that night made up Joe's mind.

The obvious counter argument to that is that Carty doesn't play any European rugby and doesn't play games nearly as tough as Byrne.

And I wouldn't knock Connacht, they have a serious pack which beats a lot of others. Including that Leinster reserve back in the December interpro.

But having watched a lot of Connacht this year I genuinely don't think Carty has been better.

But I can't be objective and neither can you.

I have faith in Joe, we shall see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

The obvious counter argument to that is that Carty doesn't play any European rugby and doesn't play games nearly as tough as Byrne.

And I wouldn't knock Connacht, they have a serious pack which beats a lot of others. Including that Leinster reserve back in the December interpro.

But having watched a lot of Connacht this year I genuinely don't think Carty has been better.

Carty played European rugby 4 days ago.

• Advertisement

WallyGUFC wrote: »

Ah now, Challenge cup is not proper European Rugby. Sure even Friend knows that, he was putting experimental sides out against Perpignan.

I don't want this to descend into a mud slinging fest.

It's not just Carty/Byrne that's strange. I also think Roux missing out to Ultan is weird. The starting Leinster backline with everyone healthy has Dan Leavy at six, all day. And yet he's not in the squad but Ruddock is.

He might be slightly injured from last week but he's available for selection for Wasps and he might even play.

There are a few unusual calls that suggest these decisions are not entirely being made on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ah now, Challenge cup is not proper European Rugby. Sure even Friend knows that, he was putting experimental sides out against Perpignan.

It's not just Carty/Byrne that's strange. I also think Roux missing out to Ultan is weird. The starting Leinster backline with everyone healthy has Dan Leavy at six, all day. And yet he's not in the squad but Ruddock is.

He might be slightly injured from last week but he's available for selection for Wasps and he might even play.

There are a few unusual calls that suggest these decisions are not entirely being made on form.
    Thats not unusual. Coaches wanting different things is very usual. Carty/Byrne isnt strange.
    Ultan for one reason or another hasnt played for Ireland in a year. He has come back into form and its only a squad for two games. I wouldnt be reading into the announcement half as much as you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Think carty has a better all round game than Byrne, they only real place I think Byrne is better is tactical kicking and this is an area carty is improving. Carty is a much bigger threat with ball in hand, has a varied attack, no slouch with a cross field kick, and Carty is miles better defensively which is probably due to being exposed more often.

Thought Byrnes kicking game suits Ireland’s game plan better so slightly surprised to see Byrne left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone

Some quality teams in the challenge cup, looking at the sale team that came to Galway even wouldn’t be out of place in the champions cup

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Against Sale who are better than some of the English sides in the Champions Cup this season.

Plus Carty has just finished playing Leinster and Munster who are both top of their groups in the Champions Cup.

The quality of opposition argument doesn't really hold much water.

Carty deserves his chance. Byrne is a good player but I see him as being a solid dependable type of player more than a superstar. I think he lacks a bit of x-factor personally. Carty has a bit of x-factor and the fundamentals of his game have come along an awful lot over the past 18 months.

That said Joe usually veers towards a Byrne type rather than a Carty type especially with Carbery providing the surprise element already so I'm slightly surprised he went for Jack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me

Very strange.

Byrne still better? What Carty are you talking about? Luke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Has Byrne in his bollocks better than Carty in the last two seasons btw. He even has the benefit of having higher quality around him and Carty still would have put together more bigger showings. Carty has also not had a wise head like Sexton to guide him. Carty was for a long time the only proper outhalf we had since McGinty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Fair ****s to all three but especially fair ****s to Jack Carty after a lot of the ****e that's been spouted about him through the years.

Mul, it's over
    Congrats lads - some big calls gone out West and a few lads must be very proud of what they've achieved. Hope they push on now and make a case for inclusion in a couple of 23's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone

The release says Leavy will most likely return to the squad when he’s back to full fitness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone

Very strange.
    Carty left Byrne for dust in the interpro at Christmas.

gally74 wrote: »

Very strange.

You mean the game he lost?

Carty was better on the night for the most part though I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over

He means the game Carty was man of the match in. Despise nonsense spouted by various posters after about ‘game management’ and other jargon trying to diminish Cartys performance, who couldn’t point to an error Carty made when requested, Joe Schmidt is clearly capable of analysis which extends beyond this team lost so their out half must have f**ked up.

ClanofLams wrote: »

He means the game Carty was man of the match in. Despise nonsense spouted by various posters after about ‘game management’ and other jargon trying to diminish Cartys performance, who couldn’t point to an error Carty made when requested, Joe Schmidt is clearly capable of analysis which extends beyond this team lost so their out half must have f**ked up.

I don't think Carty ****ed up and I don't think he's the reason they lost.

He was the better outhalf on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Carty deserves his call up.
    Byrne is unlucky to miss out.

Byrne's cross field kick, that I see people referencing, was good but you could put together a 5 minute highlights clip of Carty doing the same this year.
    He has been doing that nearly every game for the last two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me

Very strange.

In case you didn’t notice Rugby is a TEAM GAME. Carty didn’t lose it. Connacht did. He played much better than Byrne on the day. By your logic should just pick the entire Leinster team since those players win all around them.

Redo91 wrote: »

Very strange.

In case you didn’t notice Rugby is a TEAM GAME. Carty didn’t lose it. Connacht did. He played much better than Byrne on the day. By your logic should just pick the entire Leinster team since those players win all around them.

You said it, not me.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't believe it's not Butler
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Fair ****s to all three but especially fair ****s to Jack Carty after a lot of the ****e that's been spouted about him through the years.
    Meanwhile in the home of a former poster, the sherry is well and truly open...
    1277209.jpg?b64lines=IEkgaG9wZSBzaGUgZGlkbid0IHRha2UgbXkKIGF0dGVtcHQgdG8gZGVzdHJveSBoZXIKIHRvbyBzZXJpb3VzbHku

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Robbo wrote: »
    Meanwhile in the home of a former poster, the sherry is well and truly open...

It actually pissed me off that I gave him a thought today when I heard the squad.
    I shouldn't have paid him any attention, not one ounce!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chex LeMeneux

Delighted for all but especially Carty! Anyone know who the last Irish rugby international from Roscommon was? Great for the game west of the Shannon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    It actually pissed me off that I gave him a thought today when I heard the squad.
    I shouldn't have paid him any attention, not one ounce!

To be fair he was a genuine Connacht fan I think, even if one with rather extreme views. There was another poster who used to just join the thread to troll Carty anytime he had a poor game or made a mistake (never commenting on anyone else), it was very odd, like some long held grudge or something, he must be properly sickened today.

Delighted for all but especially Carty! Anyone know who the last Irish rugby international from Roscommon was? Great for the game west of the Shannon!

Noel Mannion was from Roscommon wasn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

No. Ballinasloe

No. Ballinasloe

Isn't part of Ballinasloe in Roscommon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Isn't part of Ballinasloe in Roscommon?

The old border was the suck river and you'll hear some rossies claim it still is with the local rivalry but the whole of ballinasloe town is considered inside Galway county for a long period of time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement