Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

troyzer wrote: »
    Isn't part of Ballinasloe in Roscommon?

Maybe a few houses on the very east of the town would be right on the border or just over it but it wouldn't be very many. Even when you go east of the river Suck you are still in Galway for a couple kilometers before you hit Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Delighted for the lads called up but selfishly from a Connacht point of view, should still be able to field a first choice pack against Cardiff in a crucial conference game. Dillanes form has picked up leaps this year but think thornbury and roux are playing better, at the basics anyways.

Could also see marmion get game time to get him match fit. So the only real players that potentially need to be replaced from the strongest team for the Cardiff match are 10, 12 and 13 and having two super rugby players in Horwitz and Godwin coming in, along with giving Tom Daly a shot it doesn’t look like the squad is hit too badly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Carty deserves his call up.
    Byrne is unlucky to miss out.

Byrne's cross field kick, that I see people referencing, was good but you could put together a 5 minute highlights clip of Carty doing the same this year.
    He has been doing that nearly every game for the last two years.

Re: Carty
    By God He has earned it - I think this is a vgood piece on him by GT from this time last year.
    “If it doesn’t break you it can make you.
    This time a year ago Irish rugby was at a low ebb and perhaps no-one was in a lower place than Jack Carty. Both physically and mentally, he has been through the mill, but now, after another injury, Jack’s back and Connacht are mightily grateful to have him.”
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/european-cup/jack-carty-s-back-for-connacht-and-aiming-for-bigger-things-1.2945351%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    This is great for the 3 uncapped lads. 1 it shows that if you are in form you're in with a chance. It's great for Ultan as it shows even if you miss out on previous squads you can work your way back. It's great for the province, and it's great for the club as it proves again that you don't need a red or blue tracksuit to get the recognition. Well done lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

evil_seed wrote: »
    This is great for the 3 uncapped lads. 1 it shows that if you are in form you're in with a chance. It's great for Ultan as it shows even if you miss out on previous squads you can work your way back. It's great for the province, and it's great for the club as it proves again that you don't need a red or blue tracksuit to get the recognition. Well done lads!

And well done Andy Friend. I’m sure Joe must be impressed with the how he has improved the players and how he has conducted himself.
    He seems like a good man & a real rugby brain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

You've got a Friend in me
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Could also see marmion get game time to get him match fit. So the only real players that potentially need to be replaced from the strongest team for the Cardiff match are 10, 12 and 13 and having two super rugby players in Horwitz and Godwin coming in, along with giving Tom Daly a shot it doesn’t look like the squad is hit too badly

Forgot we had Daly
    Daly-Godwin centre partnership could be tasty

The Friend Zone
    wp_rathead wrote: »
    Forgot we had Daly
    Daly-Godwin centre partnership could be tasty

Depth is good atm and while it’s very positive to have the five lads heading up to Irish duty there is still a great chance of making good ground in the pro 14

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

(Possibly a stupid question) but is this the most players a Connacht side have had involved in an international setup to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    (Possibly a stupid question) but is this the most players a Connacht side have had involved in an international setup to date?

No, seven went to South Africa after their Pro12 win in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Another call up for a Connacht man - Tadhg Leader called into the USA squad, he could end up going to the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

4 Connacht players in the u20s squad
    Forwards:
    Azur Allison (Ballymena RFC/Ulster)
    Ryan Baird (Dublin University FC/Leinster)
    Tom Clarkson (Dublin University FC/Leinster)
    Giuseppe Coyne (Dublin University FC/Leinster)
    Brian Deeney (Clontarf FC/Leinster)
    John Hodnett (UCC RFC/Munster)
    Paddy Kelly (Young Munster RFC/Munster)
    Ryan Lomas (Galwegians RFC/Connacht)
    Luke Masters (Shannon RFC/Munster)
    David McCann (Banbridge RFC/Ulster)
    JJ McKee (Ballymena RFC/Ulster)
    John McKee (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)
    Michael Milne (UCD RFC/Leinster)
    Martin Moloney (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)
    Niall Murray (Buccaneers RFC/Connacht)
    Scott Penny (UCD RFC/Leinster)
    Charlie Ryan (UCD RFC/Leinster) * Vice-Captain
    Billy Scannell (Young Munster RFC/Munster)
    Dylan Tierney-Martin (Corinthians RFC/Connacht) *
    Ronan Watters (St. Mary's College RFC/Leinster)
    Josh Wycherley (Young Munster RFC/Munster)

Backs:
    Harry Byrne (Lansdowne FC/Leinster) *
    Craig Casey (Shannon RFC/Munster) Vice-Captain
    Jake Flannery (Shannon RFC/Munster)
    Sean French (Cork Constitution RFC/Munster)
    Cormac Foley (St. Mary's College RFC/Leinster)
    David Hawkshaw (Clontarf FC/Old Belvedere) Captain
    Ben Healy (Garryowen RFC/Munster)
    Bruce Houston (Ballymena RFC/Ulster)
    Iwan Hughes (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)
    Angus Kernohan (Queen's University RFC / Ulster) *
    James McCarthy (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster) *
    Stewart Moore (Malone RFC/Ulster)
    Oli Morris (Saracens / IQ Rugby)
    Aaron O'Sullivan (UCD RFC/Leinster/IQ Rugby)
    Conor Phillips (Young Munster RFC/Munster)
    Colm Reilly (Buccaneers RFC/Connacht)
    Rob Russell (Dublin University FC/Leinster)
    Liam Turner (Dublin University FC/Leinster)
    Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution FC/Munster)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

b.gud wrote: »
    Looks like Bundee and Healy are in the squad for the Bordeaux game

Hopefully as strong a team as possible. From what I can see, a win leaves a trip to Clermont as a very likely destination.

Hopefully Connacht get their noses in front and can start chasing some tries. Hard to know what sort of interest Bordeaux will have if Connacht get an early score or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    #BORvCON (Kick-off 3pm Irish time)

(15-9) Tiernan O’Halloran, Darragh Leader, Tom Farrell, Bundee Aki, Matt Healy, David Horwitz, Stephen Kerins. (1-8) Pete McCabe, Shane Delahunt, Finlay Bealham, Gavin Thornbury, Quinn Roux (C), Paul Boyle, James Connolly, Eoin McKeon.

Replacements (16-23): Jonny Murphy, Matthew Burke, Dominic Robertson-McCoy, James Connon, Eoghan Masterson, Caolin Blade, Jack Carty, Eoin Griffin.

Surprised with that line up. Thought Connacht would have gone full strength for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Buer wrote: »
    Surprised with that line up. Thought Connacht would have gone full strength for this one.

That's as strong as they could have gone really.
    The only players missing are injured and have big minutes put up this season.

Cardiff next week is a biggie too.
    Kerins and Horowitz need gametime before that.

The Friend Zone

Game with Cardiff next week is probably seen as more important.

In the Challange cup if we get through its most likely either Sale or Clermont away.

That's as strong as they could have gone really.
    The only players missing are injured and have big minutes put up this season.

Cardiff next week is a biggie too.
    Kerins and Horowitz need gametime before that.

I'd have thought the first choice halfbacks would have started especially given they'll be in Ireland camp next week so aren't going to be involved against Cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    I'd have thought the first choice halfbacks would have started especially given they'll be in Ireland camp next week so aren't going to be involved against Cardiff.

They'll be released by Ireland I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over

All the more reason to play Kerins and Horwitz really. Debut for Kerins who was excellent for Ireland u 20s couple of years back and with the shortage of 9s will presumably be involved in Cardiff given he is starting this week. Horwitz hasn’t had too much game time either.

This game isn’t that important really, Connacht are almost certain to qualify and almost certain to have an away semi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Mul, it's over

They'll be in Portugal next week so no chance we'll have any of them v Cardiff unfortunately.

If it was in Carton house then yeah I'd agree with you but they'll be in training camp in Portugal, I don't think they'll be available.

The Friend Zone

Camp is over in Portugal so possibly not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    KBurke85 wrote: »
    Game with Cardiff next week is probably seen as more important.

In the Challange cup if we get through its most likely either Sale or Clermont away.

Is it possible to draw Sale again when we were in the same group already? Seems strange if so.

Possibly, they fly back from Portugal on Friday. They would need to either fly directly to Cardiff or get to Dublin and then onwards to Wales without any involvement in the lead up, captain's run etc.

I'd have thought it would make more sense for them to play this one (which is pretty much do or die for Connacht progressing) and Kerins and Horwitz preparing fully for next week.

The Friend Zone
    Possibly, they fly back from Portugal on Friday. They would need to either fly directly to Cardiff or get to Dublin and then onwards to Wales without any involvement in the lead up, captain's run etc.

I'd have thought it would make more sense for them to play this one (which is pretty much do or die for Connacht progressing) and Kerins and Horwitz preparing fully for next week.

Highly doubt theyd play with out any training with Connacht during the week. Think blade and carty have clocked up huge minutes this season so far and will still be available from the bench to get things on track if needed.

Think it’s very important for kerins and Horwitz to get as many minutes under their belts before the Cardiff game as well

ClanofLams wrote: »
    This game isn’t that important really, Connacht are almost certain to qualify and almost certain to have an away semi.

Am I reading things wrong? If Treviso and Quins win their games tonight against weak enough French opponents they'll both be on 19 points minimum. Then Northampton host Timisoara and Brisol host Enisei which they'll both win comfortbaly.

Basically if Quins and Treviso win tonight, Connacht have to win in Bordeaux to progress (assuming Sale don't lose at home to Perpignan).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me
    Stupid set up if we can get Sale in a QF after they were in our pool.

Anyone know where the Irish camp is on?

EDIT: Screw you, Zzippy. Deleting your post, making mine irrelevant!

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    testtech05 wrote: »
    Is it possible to draw Sale again when we were in the same group already? Seems strange if so.

Yes Quarter finals are based on seedings 1-8 based on results from group stages.

1-4 Group winners
    5 Griup winner with lowest points tally
    6-8 Three best second places.

1 plays 8. 2 plays 7 and so on.

If Connacht get a win of any kind they are through

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement