Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

troyzer wrote: »
    This is how Leinster ALWAYS feels.

We literally have three back row players left.

Yeah, but you have an academy with gold toilets and a conveyor belt of 100kg robots coached to within an inch of their lives to fill it. We've got a portaloo and a weights bench... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

KBurke85 wrote: »

But ye are also 20 points clear in your conference so no one is going to shed any tears
    so_good.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Just wait though we will lose a couple of games playing half an academy team and the leinster thread will be in meltdown using words like "disgraceful performance" a la Treviso last year when we subsequently won every competition we were played in. The stereotype of pretentiousness is hard to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

You've got a Friend in me
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Great and all as it is to have so many players in the squad, we've gone from a situation where we could expect to do well during the 6N, to one where we'll possibly be struggling in certain positions. Down to Cannon/Thornbury/Gallagher now at lock, and if Thornbury is gone we're really struggling. If Marmion is still out and Blade gone it's just Mitchell/Kerins at 9 - big step down in experience. First choice midfield gone too.

Is Joe Mak injured?
    We have Lloyd as SH cover too, but I'm more excited about seeing more of Kerins tbh
    Plus with Tom Daly as an option at 12 again I think we can field a decent team for Cardiff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Getting pretty sick and tired of Connacht lads constantly having to save the national team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    For those who didn't see the game.
    Or those who did see the game and lamented the lack of replays!

Our trys were well worked and well taken.
    We really could have lost that game entirely from sloppy defending.

Waiting with bated breath to see who is available for this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over

That's still about 5 more then Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    For those who didn't see the game.
    Or those who did see the game and lamented the lack of replays!

Our trys were well worked and well taken.
    We really could have lost that game entirely from sloppy defending.

Waiting with bated breath to see who is available for this weekend.

That's actually really impressive support running by Robertson McCoy for the 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    freyners wrote: »
    That's actually really impressive support running by Robertson McCoy for the 4th
    I was actually impressed with how Roux kept up with their 9 for his try.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Is Joe Mak injured?
    We have Lloyd as SH cover too, but I'm more excited about seeing more of Kerins tbh
    Plus with Tom Daly as an option at 12 again I think we can field a decent team for Cardiff

Shush! It won't look so bare if we include him...

I completely forgot about him!

• Advertisement

Buckley, Delahunt, Bealham
    Thornbury, Cannon
    McKeon, Fainga'a, Butler
    Mitchell, Horwitz
    Daly, Godwin
    Healy, TOH, Leader

Actually that's not a bad team, concerns at halfback and second row, but the biggest concern would be all the new partnerships and how they gel defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yeah, but you have an academy with gold toilets and a conveyor belt of 100kg robots coached to within an inch of their lives to fill it. We've got a portaloo and a weights bench... ;)

We've actually noticed that weights bench is going pretty well for you lot so we'lre going to grab it this summer.

Thanks.

Buer wrote: »
    We've actually noticed that weights bench is going pretty well for you lot so we'lre going to grab it this summer.

Thanks.

It's under contract until 2020. Ans I'm telling you now - that weights bench his getting plenty of gametime and doesn't need to be lifting at a higher intensity...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Thornbury, Cannon
    McKeon, Fainga'a, Butler
    Mitchell, Horwitz
    Daly, Godwin
    Healy, TOH, Leader

Actually that's not a bad team, concerns at halfback and second row, but the biggest concern would be all the new partnerships and how they gel defensively.

I'd have Boyle starting ahead of McKeon. Could also play Griffin and Godwin. They've played a few games together.
    Wouldn't be too worried about the second row. Thornbury is playing very well and Cannon has never let the team down when he has played.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't believe it's not Butler
    It's under contract until 2020. Ans I'm telling you now - that weights bench his getting plenty of gametime and doesn't need to be lifting at a higher intensity...
    I hear that the weights bench has been seeing a squat rack from Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Thornbury, Cannon
    McKeon, Fainga'a, Butler
    Mitchell, Horwitz
    Daly, Godwin
    Healy, TOH, Leader

Not a bad team at all, a bench of heffernan, McCabe, McCoy, joe mak, Boyle, Lloyd/kerins, Fitzgerald, kelleher/ Fitzgerald wouldn’t fill me with confidence if Connacht a slightly losing going into the last 30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Not a bad team at all, a bench of heffernan, McCabe, McCoy, joe mak, Boyle, Lloyd/kerins, Fitzgerald, kelleher/ Fitzgerald wouldn’t fill me with confidence if Connacht a slightly losing going into the last 30

Not sure if Conor Fitzgerald will be available. He was meant to be on the bench V Bordeaux but got injured in training. Carty had to cancel a weekend away to play. The lads on Craggy rugby mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Not sure if Conor Fitzgerald will be available. He was meant to be on the bench V Bordeaux but got injured in training. Carty had to cancel a weekend away to play. The lads on Craggy rugby mentioned it.

Heard that too but was just going with the most optimistic approach. If he’s out Horwitz will have to play 80 minutes at 10 or draft in Luke carty?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Heard that too but was just going with the most optimistic approach. If he’s out Horwitz will have to play 80 minutes at 10 or draft in Luke carty?

I'd say you will see Kyle Godwin cover 10 given that Like hs had little exposure to the 1st team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I'd have Boyle starting ahead of McKeon. Could also play Griffin and Godwin. They've played a few games together.
    Wouldn't be too worried about the second row. Thornbury is playing very well and Cannon has never let the team down when he has played.

Centre is a toss up for me. Daly didn’t look comfortable in defence against Munster, I’d be worried about him coming up against two of the most dangerous centres in the league. On the other hand the Griffin-Godwin combo was extremely blunt in attack last time out. Daly is good with ball in hand and Godwin could make hay running lines off him.

• Advertisement

Centre is a toss up for me. Daly didn’t look comfortable in defence against Munster, I’d be worried about him coming up against two of the most dangerous centres in the league. On the other hand the Griffin-Godwin combo was extremely blunt in attack last time out. Daly is good with ball in hand and Godwin could make hay running lines off him.

Agree with this. I think Griffin has been a big disappointment since coming back from England and any time I've seen him play since he's done nothing to change that view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Would have expected some of the lads in Irish camp to be made available? Can't start them when they are not around this week I guess, but would have thought Blade and Carty could bench, one of the second rows and Farrell could all bench?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 House4596

Starting 15 for this weekend ?

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Would have expected some of the lads in Irish camp to be made available? Can't start them when they are not around this week I guess, but would have thought Blade and Carty could bench, one of the second rows and Farrell could all bench?

I think the Irish squad only fly back from Portugal on Friday (possibly evening), which makes getting players to Cardiff difficult. They would certainly miss the captain's run there, so I doubt any will be released. Hope I'm wrong!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 House4596

Would love to see Masterson get a run this weekend

Agree with this. I think Griffin has been a big disappointment since coming back from England and any time I've seen him play since he's done nothing to change that view.

Think there'll be a clear out at centre this summer, with him, Robb, and maybe Ronaldson leaving.

House4596 wrote: »
    Would love to see Masterson get a run this weekend

It's probably between him and McKeon for the 20 jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Think there'll be a clear out at centre this summer, with him, Robb, and maybe Ronaldson leaving.

Don't think Ronaldson will be released but Robb is almost certain to go. Griffin seemed to be a favourite at the start of the season but really doesent offer much so he could be. Hopefully Daly will get a run of games to see where is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Carolan, Duffy and Wilkins have all signed 2 year extensions keeping the same back room staff in place for the next 2 seasons at least

• Advertisement

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Don't think Ronaldson will be released but Robb is almost certain to go. Griffin seemed to be a favourite at the start of the season but really doesent offer much so he could be. Hopefully Daly will get a run of games to see where is at.

I guess Ronaldson’s future may be determined by S & C data we are not privy to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement