Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I guess Ronaldson’s future may be determined by S & C data we are not privy to.

Was it his ACL he injured ? He's been out since the end of September so he could be back before the end of season hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Was it his ACL he injured ? He's been out since the end of September so he could be back before the end of season hopefully.

Doubtful. ACL is usually 6 to 9 months and its often nearer to the 9 than the 6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Didn't realise Connacht lineout was best in Pro14 until reading this.

http://the42.ie/4452622

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Didn't realise Connacht lineout was best in Pro14 until reading this.

http://the42.ie/4452622

"The lineout is a superb platform for Connacht because their forward pack delivers consistent possession, with a 93% success rate on their own throw making them statistically the most reliable lineout in the Pro14"

That is actually really hard to believe based on some showings, but also good to hear!! Maybe it's only at key, nail-biting moments, that we conspire to lose our own lineouts, which makes it seem worse overall....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

tobdom wrote: »
    "The lineout is a superb platform for Connacht because their forward pack delivers consistent possession, with a 93% success rate on their own throw making them statistically the most reliable lineout in the Pro14"

That is actually really hard to believe based on some showings, but also good to hear!! Maybe it's only at key, nail-biting moments, that we conspire to lose our own lineouts, which makes it seem worse overall....

I think there’s a bit of a confirmation bias at play because we seem to misfire in the red zone at the worst times. Also that stat might not take into consideration failed mauls, sloppy presentation to the 9, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I’m no expert but I assume there’s more factors to consider beyond his current recovery; potentially reduced physical capabilities, susceptibility to further injury, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I think there’s a bit of a confirmation bias at play because we seem to misfire in the red zone at the worst times. Also that stat might not take into consideration failed mauls, sloppy presentation to the 9, etc.

It could be that teams don't really compete in the lineout up the field but defend it a lot more in their own 22, but we do seem to feck up a lot of good attacking positions with lost throws lately. Off the top of my head at least 2 against Sale, and a couple against Munster too. Maybe they just stick in the memory craw more...

I’m no expert but I assume there’s more factors to consider beyond his current recovery; potentially reduced physical capabilities, susceptibility to further injury, etc.

Like any serious joint injury I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

Good to see TG4 broadcasting 3 out of the 4 provinces games this weekend, only the ulster game misses out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

what's the story with Sean O'Brien's injury, is he due back soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

typhoony wrote: »
    Good to see TG4 broadcasting 3 out of the 4 provinces games this weekend, only the ulster game misses out.

Ulster game on Freesports so FTA for viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    New contracts to be announced later today

The Friend Zone
    Niyi and heff signed new contracts

Buckley next please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Wasn't sure Niyi would stick around. Great business and hopefully he can do a Matt Healy and bounce back to his fantastic form a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Wasn't sure Niyi would stick around. Great business and hopefully he can do a Matt Healy and bounce back to his fantastic form a few years back.

He seems to be dogged with niggly injuries.

But 2 great pieces of work. No contract length announced but assume 2 years??

I'm no physiologist*, but my theory is that Niyi when he arrived was quite underdeveloped physically for a pro rugby player - he was lightning quick but pretty light. He bulked up quite rapidly, and at a later age than most of his colleagues, having missed out on the academy years. I wonder if his joints/ligaments/tendons weren't able to develop as fast as his musculature and the repeated niggly injuries are possibly down to that?

*Dr. Zzippy is available for appointments Mon-Fri between 1300-1305. Private consultations only. No guarantees are offered regarding the quality of advice. Terms and conditions apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone

Most renewals seem to be for two years. Generally its the lads that get renewed nearer the end of the season that just get the one year renewals

Mul, it's over
    None of Cardiffs six squad members for the 6N are being released this weekend so I guess if Connacht don't get any, can't complain too much. Although could really do with Jack Carty if Conor Fitzgerald isn't fit. Could do with them all obviously but 10 is really an issue if Fitzgerald is unavailable.

The Friend Zone

Think friend said 2 years in a tweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    Zzippy wrote: »
    I'm no physiologist*, but my theory is that Niyi when he arrived was quite underdeveloped physically for a pro rugby player - he was lightning quick but pretty light. He bulked up quite rapidly, and at a later age than most of his colleagues, having missed out on the academy years. I wonder if his joints/ligaments/tendons weren't able to develop as fast as his musculature and the repeated niggly injuries are possibly down to that?

I'm a firm believer that ligament injuries are always down to this. Seen it so many times in the NFL to change my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Buckley next please!

Yeah...I wonder would many English or French clubs realise how good he is?
    Hopefully not.

The Friend Zone
    Marmion, robb, sob, Copeland all to come back from injures for the next block of games according to Carolan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Marmion, robb, sob, Copeland all to come back from injures for the next block of games according to Carolan

And just in time too. I'd love to see Robb get a run of games, he still has the potential but might be running out of time. I'd play him over Griffin for sure. Marms will probably get 30-40 mins to see how he goes and then be dropped into the Irish squad for the 6 nations.
    Copeland might be an absolute bust of a signing. He's not done anything of note IMO, but he's still got time to prove me wrong.
    SOB is SOB

evil_seed wrote: »
    And just in time too. I'd love to see Robb get a run of games, he still has the potential but might be running out of time. I'd play him over Griffin for sure. Marms will probably get 30-40 mins to see how he goes and then be dropped into the Irish squad for the 6 nations.
    Copeland might be an absolute bust of a signing. He's not done anything of note IMO, but he's still got time to prove me wrong.
    SOB is SOB

I presume they meant the next block of games after the 2 week break, so doubt Marmion will play any part this weekend.

Copeland has lived down to expectations so far for me. Has a lot to do to change my mind...

Mul, it's over
    Carolan also asked ‘is there any chance any of players with Irish squad will be back or are they just a write off’. He said there’s a ‘slim chance one or two might be available’. Expect that means a couple will be in 23.

I presume they meant the next block of games after the 2 week break, so doubt Marmion will play any part this weekend.

Copeland has lived down to expectations so far for me. Has a lot to do to change my mind...

He needs a run of games but can't seem to stay fit. He was putting in man of the match performances last season and he needs to get to that level again. With Masterson and McKeon back fit there's a bit of competition for the 8 Jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Carolan also asked ‘is there any chance any of players with Irish squad will be back or are they just a write off’. He said there’s a ‘slim chance one or two might be available’. Expect that means a couple will be in 23.

Hell yeah! Blade for 21 instead of young Kerrins, Carty for 22 instead of his younger brother, and Farrell for 23 would be missive gamechangers

Doubt any of Roux/Dillane will be released, but optimistic about Maksymiew

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    He needs a run of games but can't seem to stay fit. He was putting in man of the match performances last season and he needs to get to that level again. With Masterson and McKeon back fit there's a bit of competition for the 8 Jersey.

If he just sorted his discipline he would be in a far better spot. Even in his better games so far he has always seem to give away one silly penalty (although that might be some confirmation bias on my part).

For my money so far Butler, Boyle, Fainga'a and SOB have stood out, and Connolly has noticeably improved this year under Friend. Masterson, McKeon, Copeland and Gallagher all are excellent players when on form but through injury or otherwise just havent got the same game time

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    I wouldn’t mind seeing Gallagher at 19 for tomorrow if he’s fit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement