Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Likely team for Cardiff

1) Buckley
    2) Heffernan/Delahunt/McCartney (I've no idea what the picking order is, the coach niether I think..)
    3) Bealham
    4) Cannon
    5) Thornbury
    6) Boyle
    7) Fainga'a
    8) Butler
    9) Mitchell
    10) Horwitz
    11) Healy
    12) Daly
    13) Godwin
    14) TOH/Kelleher
    15) Leader

16) Heffernan/Delahunt/McCartney
    17) McCabe
    18) McCoy/Carey (tight call)
    19) Maksymiew/Gallagher (tight call)
    20) Masterson
    21) Blade
    22) Carty
    23) Farrell
    (all released as 3rd choice for Ireland, but only allowed on the bench I guess...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    Likely team for Cardiff

1) Buckley
    2) Heffernan/Delahunt/McCartney (I've no idea what the picking order is, the coach niether I think..)
    3) Bealham
    4) Cannon
    5) Thornbury
    6) Boyle
    7) Fainga'a
    8) Butler
    9) Mitchell
    10) Horwitz
    11) Healy
    12) Daly
    13) Godwin
    14) TOH/Kelleher
    15) Leader

16) Heffernan/Delahunt/McCartney
    17) McCabe
    18) McCoy/Carey (tight call)
    19) Maksymiew/Gallagher (tight call)
    20) Masterson
    21) Blade
    22) Carty
    23) Farrell
    (all released as 3rd choice for Ireland, but only allowed on the bench I guess...)

Would like to see toh at 14 and leader at 14 but think it’ll be the other way around. Think mckeon makes the 20th jersey ahead of masterson, feel he’s more versatile and explosive from the bench. Personally can’t see any of the Irish lads making the bench, especially carty as although he is third choice there’s still a slight concern about sextons fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Would like to see toh at 14 and leader at 14 but think it’ll be the other way around.

Jesus, I'd love that too. 16 on the pitch! We'd walk the league! :D

The Friend Zone
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Jesus, I'd love that too. 16 on the pitch! We'd walk the league! :D

Ah Christ, meant leader at 15

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Quarter final will be at 7:45 Friday 29th of March

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1088755396200808448

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    b.gud wrote: »
    Quarter final will be at 7:45 Friday 29th of March

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1088755396200808448

Glad I waited before booking flights. Was full sure it would be the Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

EPCR website says the Challenge Cup quarter finals will be televised on BT Sport which is good for those who can't go over.

The Friend Zone
    CARvCON

Kick-off 5:15pm:

(15-9) Tiernan O’Halloran, Cian Kelleher, Kyle Godwin, Tom Daly, Matt Healy, David Horwitz, James Mitchell, (1-8) Denis Buckley, Dave Heffernan, Finlay Bealham, James Cannon, Cillian Gallagher, Eoin McKeon, Colby Fainga’a, Jarrad Butler (Capt).
    Replacements (16-23): Tom McCartney, Matthew Burke, Dominic Robertson McCoy, Joe Maksymiw, Paul Boyle, Angus Lloyd, Conor Fitzgerald, Stephen Fitzgerald.

No Thornbury big loss.

Why??????

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    Why??????

Could be injured, Joe might want him.

• Advertisement

Still a chance

Shane Lewis-Hughes will make his first Pro14 start and James Botham is set for his Cardiff Blues debut as John Mulvihill opts for youth against Connacht.

The Friend Zone
    Excited to see Gallagher from the start. Think he has what it takes to be a very important player in the next year or two injury permitting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

According to the announcement Thorbury picked up a shoulder injury in training this week

The Friend Zone
    b.gud wrote: »
    According to the announcement Thorbury picked up a shoulder injury in training this week

Totally missed that.

I wouldn't rule out late changes to the replacements. I remember Marmion appearing back from a camp and being on the bench despite not being named.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Is Eoin Griffin still injured?

The Friend Zone
    RobbieRuns wrote: »

Was on the bench last week

The Friend Zone
    Ideal finish to the game would be a match winning try from Stephan fitz after a cross field kick from Conor fitz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    RobbieRuns wrote: »

He's not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Totally missed that.

I wouldn't rule out late changes to the replacements. I remember Marmion appearing back from a camp and being on the bench despite not being named.

Marmion is not in the Irish squad in Portugal so it is possible he travelled to Wales, but probably unlikely as Carolan was quoted saying he would feature in the next block of games i.e. after the break.

The Friend Zone
    evil_seed wrote: »
    He's not good enough

Very harsh, he’s a decent 5th/ 6th choice center who is a local lad. He’s not going to set the world alight but I don’t think anyone expects him to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Where is leader? We’be got some 23 year old loaner on the bench!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Very bad feeling about tomorrow tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Where is leader? We’be got some 23 year old loaner on the bench!
    rotation? has played a lot recently with all games bar Sale he played 80 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    Delighted to see Daly get a run. It's in his hands now, to kick on and secure a contract.
    Gallagher will be a great player imo, if he stays healthy.
    Friend is doing a fine job rotating key players. Some of these lads have had a decent rest period.
    I am waiting for Lam to snatch a Connacht player over to Bristol!
    It looks like Bristol will survive in the premiership this year and he certainly needs to add players to become competitive.
    I think Connacht have enough to win this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    Very harsh, he’s a decent 5th/ 6th choice center who is a local lad. He’s not going to set the world alight but I don’t think anyone expects him to

You're saying the same thing, only in more words IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Looking forward to see what Gallagher can do, big opportunity for him. Could have serious depth in the second row if he makes it.

Bench looks pretty callow, bar McCartney and Boyle. Two Fitzgeralds have looked promising but tomorrow a step up. Could really do with some late additions to it, having Blade and Carty coming off would nearly make Connacht favourites.

Cardiff are going to be desperate and throw the kitchen sink at it. A loss would basically put them out of the equation for play offs.

Mul, it's over
    On another note, brought myself to have a look back at Leinster Connacht the other night. For all the deserved praise of Blade and Carty, Jarrad Butler was excellent. His bouncing Ruddock in the run up to Cartys try was class. What a signing he was, just consistently quality, much like Muldoon in that regard actually, rare either of them had/have a bad game.

Mul, it's over
    Ospreys 3-0 up at halftime in Glasgow. Not really sure what the best result is, probably Glasgow winning by 8 without a tbp I guess. But Ospreys winning by 8 would be alright too, makes top two more attainable but top 3 more of a dog fight.

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Ospreys 3-0 up at halftime in Glasgow. Not really sure what the best result is, probably Glasgow winning by 8 without a tbp I guess. But Ospreys winning by 8 would be alright too, makes top two more attainable but top 3 more of a dog fight.

Finishing a draw without either team scoring 4 try’s might be good?

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    Finishing a draw without either team scoring 4 try’s might be good?

Yeah maybe. Had a quick look at both of their run ins. Ospreys looks a bit softer to me, with the exception of a trip to the Sportsground they are arguably favourites for every other game to come. They have Munster and Ulster at home which will be tricky but it’s during 6N so hard games to call. And with top 3 being priority, probably take a Glasgow win tonight.

Connacht will still have a chance to overtake Glasgow if their form is good enough. Think Glasgow win would basically mean Connacht would lock up top 3 with a win tomorrow and win over Ospreys at home. That would put them 8/9 clear of both Cardiff and Ospreys which should be enough of a cushion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement