Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

connachta wrote: »
    Was McCabe injured?
    If not, that's a huge sign he may be released and Burke might be 3rd choice next season, he's doing ok and turning 22

which would mean in September

1) Buckley (29) or marquee NIQ
    2) McAllister (30)
    3) Burke (22)
    4) Ryan Lomas (20) -looks promising, try to convert him as LH-

and for TH

1) Bealham (27)
    2) McCoy (25)
    3) O'Donnell (23)
    4) Kenny (23)

If we release Cannon too, all this would release huge money for a great ball-carrying 2nd Row. We need this, desperately. Above all with Dillane/Roux/Thornbury around the Irish squad

Dillane, Roux and Thornbury are behind 4 locks for Ireland. Connacht would be throwing money away on a marquee second row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    salmocab wrote: »
    Dillane, Roux and Thornbury are behind 4 locks for Ireland. Connacht would be throwing money away on a marquee second row.

Hard to believe Buckley is 29, I rember when he came thru first. He owes Connacht nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    salmocab wrote: »

Gallagher was really impressive yesterday, think he could leapfrog cannon before the end of the year. Think cannon could be let go, nothing really wrong with him he hasn’t ever had really let the team down but the others are just better. You then have the two Murray’s likely to be in the academy/ sub academy next season.

Second row and scrum half are two positions Connacht are producing players in, won’t want to see any big investment in those two areas.

Also don’t think lomas should be converted to a loose head, need depth at tight head. Carey has been linked with a move away and McCoy seems to have leapfrogged him anyways. Haven’t been convinced Kenny will make it pro either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Gallagher was really impressive yesterday, think he could leapfrog cannon before the end of the year. Think cannon could be let go, nothing really wrong with him he hasn’t ever had really let the team down but the others are just better. You then have the two Murray’s likely to be in the academy/ sub academy next season.

Second row and scrum half are two positions Connacht are producing players in, won’t want to see any big investment in those two areas.

Also don’t think lomas should be converted to a loose head, need depth at tight head. Carey has been linked with a move away and McCoy seems to have leapfrogged him anyways. Haven’t been convinced Kenny will make it pro either

Gallagher is the perfect example why I think we need a 2nd Row. He is not a ball-carrier. He's a 6

The Friend Zone
    Gallagher is the perfect example why I think we need a 2nd Row. He is not a ball-carrier. He's a 6

Tbh I’m not convinced myself where Gallagher will end up long term at 6 or lock but either way I don’t think any signing is needed at second row. There’s so many good options in the second row and back row atm that any signings should just be for depth if any current players leave and academy players aren’t ready to step up. Personally see the pack for next season as:

Buckley McAllister McCabe Burke
    Delahunt heffernan McCarthney murphy/ Tierney
    Bealham McCoy carey Conan
    Thornbury dillane Murray
    Roux Gallagher maksymiw
    Sob masterson x
    Butler faingaa Connolly
    Boyle mckeon Copeland

Would be hoping some one like huxford or Sean masterson could make a breakthrough for the “x “ spot but really you wouldn’t need the extra back row with Gallagher able to slot in.

• Advertisement

Tbh I’m not convinced myself where Gallagher will end up long term at 6 or lock but either way I don’t think any signing is needed at second row. There’s so many good options in the second row and back row atm that any signings should just be for depth if any current players leave and academy players aren’t ready to step up. Personally see the pack for next season as:

Buckley McAllister McCabe Burke
    Delahunt heffernan McCarthney murphy/ Tierney
    Bealham McCoy carey Conan
    Thornbury dillane Murray
    Roux Gallagher maksymiw
    Sob masterson x
    Butler faingaa Connolly
    Boyle mckeon Copeland

Would be hoping some one like huxford or Sean masterson could make a breakthrough for the “x “ spot but really you wouldn’t need the extra back row with Gallagher able to slot in.

We need an extra 2nd Row far more than a back-row.
    We even may be forced to released Connolly or McKeon when they do not deserve it at all...

If Robb and/or Griffin leave, I'm nearly sure we'll enlist one of the 3 centres on the field today :

Either Brendan Macken with all his experience, Mark Best, so, so, solid, or James Neway a promising Irish Exile U20 (21 y.o, with kicking abilities)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Niall Murray is listed as 99kgs and likely to play 6 for the 20s, don’t think he’ll be in the conversation to play lock at senior level next year. Darragh Murray is u18.

Not sure why everyone is so keen to get rid of Cannon, he’s a perfect squad player. Never injured, IQ, not an international, presumably cheap, presumably happy to be a squad player, and above all a solid player.

The Friend Zone
    Niall Murray is listed as 99kgs and likely to play 6 for the 20s, don’t think he’ll be in the conversation to play lock at senior level next year. Darragh Murray is u18.

Not sure why everyone is so keen to get rid of Cannon, he’s a perfect squad player. Never injured, IQ, not an international, presumably cheap, presumably happy to be a squad player, and above all a solid player.

Was just mentioning the murrays as a reason not to make a big money signing in second row. They’ll both make the break through in the next 3-5 years. Niall Murray will be in his second year of the academy so could very well get a few minutes here and there given how friend likes to use the academy.

Was just mentioning the murrays as a reason not to make a big money signing in second row. They’ll both make the break through in the next 3-5 years. Niall Murray will be in his second year of the academy so could very well get a few minutes here and there given how friend likes to use the academy.

Fair, I've no clue why we'd sign an NIQ second row. I'd keep the same group as this year, if the young lads are any good they'll displace Cannon. Niall Murray is listed as 201cm and 99kg, if that's accurate he has a hell of a lot of bulking up to do.

• Advertisement

Was McCabe injured?
    If not, that's a huge sign he may be released and Burke might be 3rd choice next season, he's doing ok and turning 22

which would mean in September

1) Buckley (29) or marquee NIQ
    2) McAllister (30)
    3) Burke (22)
    4) Ryan Lomas (20) -looks promising, try to convert him as LH-

and for TH

1) Bealham (27)
    2) McCoy (25)
    3) O'Donnell (23)
    4) Kenny (23)

If we release Cannon too, all this would release huge money for a great ball-carrying 2nd Row. We need this, desperately. Above all with Dillane/Roux/Thornbury around the Irish squad

McCabe missing one game doesn't mean anything, could be injury/rotation/whatever. If Buckley leaves there's no way we can afford to lose McCabe as well. Even if he stays we shouldn't let McCabe go unless we sign someone better. Haven't seen enough of Burke to make a judgement on him, but our standards need to be higher than "ok" going forward.

A homegrown tighthead would be worth his weight in gold, if the coaches believe Lomas has the potential to be a pro tighthead there's no way he should be moved. If you had to move someone across I'd have thought O'Donnell would be a more obvious candidate, as his short powerful body shape would be more suited there. Lomas at 19 is already much closer physically to the prototypical tighthead.

There's no way we could compete in Europe and the Pro14 with that depth at 3. The thought of going into next season with Conor Kenny as 4th choice terrifies me. I'd rather see us sign an NIQ here than at loosehead, unless we lose Buckley or get Oli Jager or someone of a similar stature.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Does the Connacht website have a historic squads section like Leinster and Munster. Wanna see how much fullback Robbie actually played.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

errlloyd wrote: »
    Does the Connacht website have a historic squads section like Leinster and Munster. Wanna see how much fullback Robbie actually played.

No I'm afraid not. Off the top of my head I'd say his entire first and second season was at FB. In his third season I seem to recall him playing a few games at centre and then for his 4th season he was almost entirely used at centre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    b.gud wrote: »
    No I'm afraid not. Off the top of my head I'd say his entire first and second season was at FB. In his third season I seem to recall him playing a few games at centre and then for his 4th season he was almost entirely used at centre

Even in his last season, he played there a bit, Munster away and a few post 6N games. He didn't play that much for Connacht that season between World Cup, injury which ruled him out for December and January, 6N, would say close to a majority of his appearances that season were at 15.

b.gud wrote: »

First season was mostly spent playing 15 with the exception of two games at 13. Second season was split fairly evenly between 15 and 13. Third season he played solely 13 bar one start at 12. In his final season he played a few games at 15 when returning from injury to accommodate the Ronaldson-Aki partnership, before moving to 13 for the run in.

The Friend Zone
    Interesting that the Cardiff boss said in a post match interview that they knew Horwitz is really a 12 playing at 10 and that they could go at him. They really did exploit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    After his performance on Staurday Gallagher's interview was really good.
    He sounds very level headed and intelligent.
    A very exciting prospect!

The Friend Zone
    After his performance on Staurday Gallagher's interview was really good.
    He sounds very level headed and intelligent.
    A very exciting prospect!

Hopefully he can stay injury free. He could see a lot of game time in either second row or 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

McCabe missing one game doesn't mean anything, could be injury/rotation/whatever. If Buckley leaves there's no way we can afford to lose McCabe as well. Even if he stays we shouldn't let McCabe go unless we sign someone better. Haven't seen enough of Burke to make a judgement on him, but our standards need to be higher than "ok" going forward.

A homegrown tighthead would be worth his weight in gold, if the coaches believe Lomas has the potential to be a pro tighthead there's no way he should be moved. If you had to move someone across I'd have thought O'Donnell would be a more obvious candidate, as his short powerful body shape would be more suited there. Lomas at 19 is already much closer physically to the prototypical tighthead.

There's no way we could compete in Europe and the Pro14 with that depth at 3. The thought of going into next season with Conor Kenny as 4th choice terrifies me. I'd rather see us sign an NIQ here than at loosehead, unless we lose Buckley or get Oli Jager or someone of a similar stature.
    Conan seems to be preferred as loose and though played some part at tight i think he'll be kept loose. Wouldnt worry too much about Conor Kenny as 4th choice. How much would be play and even still if he is thought about as 4th choice he'll just spend a lot of the summer down in Nenagh with Seamus Harty to prep for that
    errlloyd wrote: »
    Pro14 site is best option but you need to check each game. easier to do it than connacht website which doesnt really have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Given the flack he took over the last few years, this is a very satisfying picture that popped up today.

DyF4YVPWoAAWH7U.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    Great to see, but there's too much of a hint of "1st day of school" about that. Must be the backpack

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

evil_seed wrote: »
    Great to see, but there's too much of a hint of "1st day of school" about that. Must be the backpack

The fact that he's checking his own pulse to see if this is all real doesn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Buer wrote: »
    The fact that he's checking his own pulse to see if this is all real doesn't help.

He's actually tracking the IP addresses of any Boards poster who wronged him and will strangle them to death via said Casio Calculator Watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    He's actually tracking the IP addresses of any Boards poster who wronged him and will strangle them to death via said Casio Calculator Watch.

Was wondering why certain posters have been extremely quiet recently

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Murray Kinsella saying Henshaw in pole position for full back on Saturday. His best position. Aki in line to definitely start if so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

macslash wrote: »
    Murray Kinsella saying Henshaw in pole position for full back on Saturday. His best position. Aki in line to definitely start if so too.

is the pink bit yours or Murrays.... this is just a "curious" seeking of clarrification as opposed to "have you got a link to prove that" type of clarrification...

The Friend Zone
    is the pink bit yours or Murrays.... this is just a "curious" seeking of clarrification as opposed to "have you got a link to prove that" type of clarrification...

Murray talked about henshaws fondness for the position, didn’t say his best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over

Ya sorry, that bit was my own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Buer wrote: »

I think he is tightening his watch strap. His radial pulse is on the other side of his wrist from where his right hand fingers are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

jacothelad wrote: »
    I think he is tightening his watch strap. His radial pulse is on the other side of his wrist from where his right hand fingers are.

jaco I'd say you're a hoot to watch medical dramas with. House in particular. "That's rubbish, she clearly has Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva. Next episode!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement