Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    Yea, Ultan was grand! He's a damn good player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hands up: I didn't think Dillane was hitting the form that people though he was picking back up from 2016. Instead we got the best ever defensive performance I've ever seen from Dillane.

He's an absolute gentleman and to see him tiltimg the game in Ireland's favour has to be my Connacht-related moment of the season.

Some Like It TOH
    His athleticism is great. He's just a natural athlete, much like Henderson.
    Our 2nd row stock is unbelievable.
    I think Thornbury will be involved at some point too!
    And then Treadwell is going well for Ulster. Another athlete!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    I would expect Carty Dillane and Farrell to be available for next week.

Is Marmion due back as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    I would expect Carty Dillane and Farrell to be available for next week.

Is Marmion due back as well?

No chance dillane is free with all the injuries at lock. There’s a chance it could be ultan and roux starting against Italy. Blade will be released I’d say. Farrell and carty too. I think marmion will make the bench, friend said he’d be available for the next block of games so unless he’s had any set backs in the last two weeks he should be involved.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    Assuming no new injuries or set backs in recoveries think something like this for the weekend:

Buckley delahunt bealham
    Thornbury Gallagher
    Sob butler faingaa
    Blade carty
    Farrell Godwin
    Healy leader kelleher

Heff McCabe McCoy cannon Boyle marmion fitzgerald toh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    No chance dillane is free with all the injuries at lock. There’s a chance it could be ultan and roux starting against Italy. Blade will be released I’d say. Farrell and carty too. I think marmion will make the bench, friend said he’d be available for the next block of games so unless he’s had any set backs in the last two weeks he should be involved.

Ryan will start in Rome. Beirne could be back also but neither Roux or Dillane will be risked this week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Ryan will start in Rome. Beirne could be back also but neither Roux or Dillane will be risked this week

Ryan does have a lot of minutes. I reckon he'll go with Beirne/Roux with Dillane on the bench.

Mul, it's over
    troyzer wrote: »
    Ryan does have a lot of minutes. I reckon he'll go with Beirne/Roux with Dillane on the bench.

I can't see Ryan being left off for 3 weeks prior to France though and he won't be released to Leinster.

Beirne might need get a game with Munster first too

Edit Dillane might be released to Bench for connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Might Jack make the bench for the Italy game I wonder? With Sexton failing the HIA on Saturday, they might decide to give him a longer rest, and add some depth while they're at it. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

RonnieL wrote: »
    Might Jack make the bench for the Italy game I wonder? With Sexton failing the HIA on Saturday, they might decide to give him a longer rest, and add some depth while they're at it. Fingers crossed.

They can't keep giving him weeks off. He's barely played in the last few months. He needs game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Zzippy wrote: »

Neil Francis will love that!

The Friend Zone
    Marmion fit to play at the weekend according to joe.ie

The Friend Zone
    Next three rounds, during the 6 nations are going to be huge in terms of deciding the 3rd spot in the conference currently ospreys and Connacht on 38 points and Cardiff and cheetahs on 36.

Connacht have :
    Cheetahs at home
    Glasgow away
    Ospreys at home

Ospreys have
    Ulster at home
    Munster at home
    Connacht away

Cardiff have
    Glasgow home
    Edinburgh away
    Kings at home

Cheetahs have
    Connacht
    Scarlets
    Leinster all away

Cardiff look to have the easiest on paper. Cheetahs look the hardest. Hopefully the other provinces will do a few favors

Next three rounds, during the 6 nations are going to be huge in terms of deciding the 3rd spot in the conference currently ospreys and Connacht on 38 points and Cardiff and cheetahs on 36.

Connacht have :
    Cheetahs at home
    Glasgow away
    Ospreys at home

Ospreys have
    Ulster at home
    Munster at home
    Connacht away

Cardiff have
    Glasgow home
    Edinburgh away
    Kings at home

Cheetahs have
    Connacht
    Scarlets
    Leinster all away

Cardiff look to have the easiest on paper. Cheetahs look the hardest. Hopefully the other provinces will do a few favors

Do you reckon there's any chance of a home quarter? You'd like to think Glasgow are vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Do you reckon there's any chance of a home quarter? You'd like to think Glasgow are vulnerable.

particularly during the 6N. The difference between Connacht and Glasgow in week 1 was basically Stuart Hogg just playing a blinder. If Connacht have maybe three of the 7 internationals back (i'd hope for Jack, Farrell and a scrum half) then there's a real opportunity for an away win. If Roux or Dilanne are available, even better.

but to answer your question, I think glasgow might just have too much of a head start. It's probably better if they beat Cardiff and keep them off our heels.

Mr Tickle wrote: »

particularly during the 6N. The difference between Connacht and Glasgow in week 1 was basically Stuart Hogg just playing a blinder. If Connacht have maybe three of the 7 internationals back (i'd hope for Jack, Farrell and a scrum half) then there's a real opportunity for an away win. If Roux or Dilanne are available, even better.

but to answer your question, I think glasgow might just have too much of a head start. It's probably better if they beat Cardiff and keep them off our heels.

I'd back Connacht to come third. I'd love to see them come second though.

Some Like It TOH
    Cheetahs have a tough run in! Cardiff would be a dark horse. Connacht have enough depth to cover. I am excited to see Gallagher back in the frame. Also, McKeon is back and I think he's very under rated.
    All of the provinces, look to be deeper than our rivals.
    Connacht should make the top 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

I'd back Connacht to come third. I'd love to see them come second though.

what happens if cheetahs do them on Saturday ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Jewelers wrote: »
    what happens if cheetahs do them on Saturday ?

The sun will still rise Sunday. What were you expecting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

ClanofLams wrote: »
    The sun will still rise Sunday. What were you expecting?

the sun not to rise , and the whest to be in darkness for 40 days, and then after forty days for TOH to proclaim himself the true irish full back , and a massive piss up on watery wine for a week .

The Friend Zone
    Glasgow are 8 points ahead of Connacht atm, obviously if Connacht can beat them that should put a dent in that. Feel Connacht will have a few wobbles on the way so think third is more realistic. Ideal scenario would be Glasgow beating Cardiff, ospreys and cheetahs and lose every other game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Carty and Blade available according to Michael Corcoran on RTÉ sport earlier

Mul, it's over
    RonnieL wrote: »

New squad announced for Round 3 this week. Might be several changes to that squad. Previous squad was round 1 and 2 only

The Friend Zone
    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    New squad announced for Round 3 this week. Might be several changes to that squad. Previous squad was round 1 and 2 only

If any of the uncapped players were to get a cap, it’d be against Italy. If theyvecinpressed enough in training I could see them being in the squad for the Italian match. All about what went on behind closed doors in carton house.

The Friend Zone
    KBurke85 wrote: »

Was Farrell mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    KBurke85 wrote: »

Was Farrell mentioned?

He wasn’t but he only listed out some of the players released back to the provinces. I’m sure we’ll know more tomorrow after the press briefing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Farrell hasn't had a game for 3 weeks. Even if he was pencilled in to feature against Italy, which I doubt, he would still need some gametiime this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Farrell hasn't had a game for 3 weeks. Even if he was pencilled in to feature against Italy, which I doubt, he would still need some gametiime this weekend.

I think Tom trained with Connacht today, saw on Instagram this am one of the players had pics up poking fun at the fact he turned up with his Ireland gear bags. Hopefully a sign he will be free to play at the weekend too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement