Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't believe it's not Butler
    Shouldn't Niyi be back for this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Team I'd like to see:

Buckley, Delahunt/Heff, Bealham
    Thornbury, Cannon,
    McKeon/SOB, Fainga'a, Butler
    Marmion/Blade, Carty
    Farrell, Godwin,
    Healy, Kelleher, TOH/Leader

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Team I'd like to see:

Buckley, Delahunt/Heff, Bealham
    Thornbury, Cannon,
    McKeon/SOB, Fainga'a, Butler
    Marmion/Blade, Carty
    Farrell, Godwin,
    Healy, Kelleher, TOH/Leader

Fainga'a would be wasted at 8, but agree. I think we'll see Ultan after his cameo at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Dillane, blade, carty, marmion and Farrell all pictured at Connacht training today. Presume all available.

Robb, niyi and Copeland also training, looks like sob isn’t.

evil_seed wrote: »
    Fainga'a would be wasted at 8, but agree. I think we'll see Ultan after his cameo at the weekend

I meant Fainga'a at 7 and Butler at 8, sorry. I was going on numerical order but can see how it could be read the other way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Gallagher ahead of Cannon I'd have

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

testtech05 wrote: »
    Neil Francis will love that!

Franno doesn't deal in stats, or facts... or reality most of the time tbh.

connachta wrote: »
    Gallagher ahead of Cannon I'd have

Does Thornbury call the lineout? Himself and Gallagher are quite callow in terms of experience, that's why I went with Cannon. He probably has more experience at that facet of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

If you listen carefully, you can hear the hopes and dreams of a thousand Ulstermen shatter.

This is great news for Connacht.

The Friend Zone
    Does Thornbury call the lineout? Himself and Gallagher are quite callow in terms of experience, that's why I went with Cannon. He probably has more experience at that facet of the game.

Remember reading an article before on the 42 saying roux, cannon and thornbury were working hard with Duffy on calling line outs. Don’t know if he has any in game experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over

Get the Borat gif out.

Lovely news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Excellent retention this year, really positive sign to be keeping guys who had plenty of options.

Is Thornbury fit? He missed Cardiff game with injury

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Excellent retention this year, really positive sign to be keeping guys who had plenty of options.

Is Thornbury fit? He missed Cardiff game with injury

No sign of thornbury in the training pictures. It’ll probably be ultan and cannon starting with Gallagher on the bench. Gallagher was calling lineouts for the Irish under 20s so would be interesting to see could he push on for Connacht with that skill in his pocket

Mul, it's over
    According to the Irish Times this morning, Friend said the bulk of next seasons recruitment and retention is complete, there will be a few more signings to announce, including replacements for Conor Carey and Cian Kelleher.

The Friend Zone
    According to the Irish Times this morning, Friend said the bulk of next seasons recruitment and retention is complete, there will be a few more signings to announce, including replacements for Conor Carey and Cian Kelleher.

Does that mean delahunt is off ?

Mul, it's over
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Does that mean delahunt is off ?

Doubt it, hopefully not anyway. Seems like a straightforward answer to a question saying yeah most of it done, bit to do. Just thought the bit confirming new tight head was interesting.

If they can get a good one and Delahunt signed up, would be a very strong front row sorted for next season.

The Friend Zone
    Doubt it, hopefully not anyway. Seems like a straightforward answer to a question saying yeah most of it done, bit to do. Just thought the bit confirming new tight head was interesting.

If they can get a good one and Delahunt signed up, would be a very strong front row sorted for next season.

Yeah that’s fair enough, really could see delahunt going though. Good enough to be playing every week but lots of competition in Connacht, might be an opening up in Leinster too.

Mul, it's over
    Yeah that’s fair enough, really could see delahunt going though. Good enough to be playing every week but lots of competition in Connacht, might be an opening up in Leinster too.

Yeah agree he’s good enough to be playing every week and it’s very tight between himself, Heffernan and McCartney.

Leinster still have Byrne and Tracy behind Cronin though? Don’t see either of them leaving, Byrne seems to be getting more game time this season. Cian Kellehers brother is coming through and meant to be highly rated too. Hopefully they’re not looking to make signings though the move wouldn’t shock me either.

• Advertisement

Presumably a good few players have signed on again but they will drip feed the announcements, especially with season ticket renewals coming up. Hopefully Delahunt is one of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

It's a real shame though. Hooker is such a position of depth for Connacht. There are three options, all very capable and with no clear and obvious pecking order. A nice mix of ages too.
    The fact that they rotate so often has probably helped them from a player welfare point of view.

The Friend Zone
    Presumably a good few players have signed on again but they will drip feed the announcements, especially with season ticket renewals coming up. Hopefully Delahunt is one of them...

Hadnt tought of it that way. I could see s few academy lads getting promoted too, de buitlear, Burke and Fitzgerald could all be promoted to senior contracts.

The Friend Zone
    Independent claiming that Bristol were one of the teams after Buckley

Poor Pat:D

Mul, it's over

Yeah the 42 said that also, themselves and Ulster, two of his former coaches in Lam and McFarland.

Yeah the 42 said that also, themselves and Ulster, two of his former coaches in Lam and McFarland.

Hard to blame them, and would be surprising if they weren't!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    That's a big vote of confidence on Buckley too IMO. Ex coaches trying to sign you like that

Delahunt should be kept. McCartney is 34, final year next season I guess, and less gametime. Murphy didn't break through either. Shane might even be 1st choice...

I'd love
    1) Delahunt (work to do on throws though)
    2) Heffernan (good impact player)
    3) Donnellan originally from Galway! https://www.yorkshirecarnegie.com/news/article/dylan-donnellan-excited-by-yorkshire-carnegie-opportunity/
    4) McCartney, cameos and player-coach as "freak" :)

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    Delahunt should be kept. McCartney is 34, final year next season I guess, and less gametime. Murphy didn't break through either. Shane might even be 1st choice...

I'd love
    1) Delahunt (work to do on throws though)
    2) Heffernan (good impact player)
    3) Donnellan originally from Galway! https://www.yorkshirecarnegie.com/news/article/dylan-donnellan-excited-by-yorkshire-carnegie-opportunity/
    4) McCartney, cameos and player-coach as "freak" :)

Would you not think Tierney Martin will be pushing on in the next year or two ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement