Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Godwin is more a 13 though, I think? Daly maybe brings a bit more balance that you wouldn't get with Farrell and Godwin. He'll hopefully have a big impact in second half when he comes on, they may be targeting a tiring Cheetahs defence at that stage and himself and Farrell could make hay...

He’s best at 13 alright and Farrell has shifted to 12 playing alongside him as far as I recall. I would prefer that personally than Daly Farrell but suppose as you say he should make a big impact off bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    Toyota Cheetahs

1. Charles Marais (34)
    2. Marnus van der Merwe (2)
    3. Aranos Coetzee (36)
    4. Jasper Wiese (5)
    5. JP du Preez (13)
    6. Abongile Nonkontwana (9)
    7. Junior Pokomela (25)
    8. Gerhard Olivier (14)
    9. Shaun Venter (29)(C)
    10. Tian Schoeman (14)
    11. Rabz Maxwane (12)
    12. Nico Lee (27)
    13. Dries Swanepoel (1)
    14. William Small-Smith (29)
    15. Louis Fouche (8)

16. Reinach Venter (6)
    17. Ox Nche (35)
    18. Luan de Bruin (6)
    19. Sintu Manjezi (7)
    20. Walt Steenkamp (13)
    21. Henco Venter (17)
    22. Tian Meyer (19)
    23. Rudy Paige (4)

Watch out for Rabz Maxwane. He's the top tryscorer this season with 10 tries from 13 starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Godwin is more a 13 though, I think? Daly maybe brings a bit more balance that you wouldn't get with Farrell and Godwin. He'll hopefully have a big impact in second half when he comes on, they may be targeting a tiring Cheetahs defence at that stage and himself and Farrell could make hay...

He is but I wouldn't be concerned about Farrell playing 12 or 13. A lot of his best showing have come at inside centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Bazzo wrote: »
    He is but I wouldn't be concerned about Farrell playing 12 or 13. A lot of his best showing have come at inside centre.

Yeah, I just think he thrives at 13 where there's more space and he has time to find a gap. Hopefully he finds plenty tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Yeah, I just think he thrives at 13 where there's more space and he has time to find a gap. Hopefully he finds plenty tomorrow...

Daly is a big unit and will hopefully draw the extra defender and leave the gap for Farrell. I have a fiver on him getting 2 tries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Very interesting Daly getting the nod, Farrell and Godwin looked brilliant as a partnership earlier in the season. Jury is still out on Daly for me but think he should have a big game tomorrow. He’s been with the squad a while now and seems to have fitted in with the group of the pitch now. Excited to see Stephan Fitzgerald from the start, think he has the ability to make a real name fir himself in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Excited to see Stephan Fitzgerald from the start, think he has the ability to make a real name fir himself in Galway.

And establish here with Conor

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, to our Ulster cousins, have done us a huge favour beating Ospreys on their field!

And without any BP!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Haha fair play Cooney, fairly made us sweat though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

connachta wrote: »
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, to our Ulster cousins, have done us a huge favour beating Ospreys on their field!

Cooney denying them a LBP at the death too,great result. Now to follow it up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ospreys lose at home with no BP. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Vital now we take advantage and get the win tomorrow. Cardiff or Glasgow are gonna drop points too

The Friend Zone
    Win is a must but against the cheetahs a try bonus point is achievable too

be careful, be careful... We're not 100% full-strenght and Cheetahs are not Kings..

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    be careful, be careful... We're not 100% full-strenght and Cheetahs are not Kings..

Meant as in I’d expect it to be a high scoring game for both teams, 36-28 Connacht is my prediction, if the weather stays dry. Connacht to bully up front in the first half but gets loose in the second with the cheetahs coming back going into the lead but last ten minutes Connacht pull away again

So as it stands IMO, and with my own picking order

44-man squad if we play Champions Cup

Props (7)
    Buckley, McAllister, Burke

Marquee NIQ TH, Bealham, Robertson-McCoy,

O'Donnell (covering both sides)

Hookers (4)
    Delahunt, Heffernan, Donnellan/McGuigan, McCartney

Locks (6)
    Thornbury, Dillane, Roux, IQ (Dave Foley/Jerry Sexton/Joe Joyce/Mick Kearney/Frank Bradshaw-Ryan), Gallagher, Maksymiew

Back-row (7)
    Fainga’a, Boyle, Butler, O'Brien, McKeon, Copeland, Masterson

SH (4)
    Marmion, Blade, NIQ or Charlie Mulchrone, Kerrins

OH (4)
    Carty, Sheedy/Connon, C.Fitzgerald, Horwitz

Centres (5+Horwitz)
    Aki, Farrell, Daly, Godwin, Newey

Back-3 (7)
    Marquee NIQ, S.Fitzgerald, Leader, TOH, Niyi, Healy, IQ (A.Byrne/O'Meara/Scanlon/Lydon/Aaron O'Sullivan)

Big money to be spent on back-3 and TH class-acts, to compete against the best European clubs.

All other signings/renewals on very reasonable money (probably less than the released ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Looks like rain for this evening.
    I don't think we will cover a 14pt handicap.
    I'd be very happy with 5 conference points.

Looking fairly dodgy in defence early on. Cheetahs making line breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Cheetahs looking dangerous so far..... I'd be fearful from a connaught perspective

• Advertisement

Defence hasn’t turned up here. Line breaks aplenty.

Luckily Cheetahs while the score a lot they also concede a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,587 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Connacht have to make this 10 min count

Should have been a try there. Leader didn't really commit his man enough and his pass wasn't great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me
    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Connacht have to make this 10 min count
    I’d actually back Cheetahs to outscore us in this period. Haven’t seen a team as bad as us against 13/14.

Really poor from Leader... wasn't exactly complicated in executing that two vs one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Absolute messing at the ruck. Dillane best out there so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Connacht would want a bit of daylight heading into the final stages, Owens loves a showstopper finish so will be looking for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

razorblunt wrote: »
    Connacht would want a bit of daylight heading into the final stages, Owens loves a showstopper finish so will be looking for anything
    Nigels been very good today.
    But connacht would want daylight because cheetahs if given space could cause havoc and not anything like Nige looking for spectac finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    razorblunt wrote: »

Jesus. Where do people come up with this stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Cheetah's discipline is killing them. Connacht need to take advantage of all these opportunities though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement