Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Dublin ban Burqas and Hijabs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

Dannyriver wrote: »
    You ve seriously diminished your worth in this debate with that post, it's really bad in fairness.

Nah,I've just highlighted how idiotic the label Asian British is. It sound's incredibly stupid to begin with. I have never ever heard any describe themselves like that. It's a made up label that won't catch on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

dennispenn wrote: »
    Then why are you calling them African Americans like you cannot see a black American for exactly that, black American?

Its the term they themselves prefer, me personally? I dont see coulour i just see other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Nah,I've just highlighted how idiotic the label Asian British is. It sound's incredibly stupid to begin with. I have never ever heard any describe themselves like that. It's a made up label that won't catch on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Asian

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls076733666/

https://www.desiblitz.com/content/5-british-asian-artists-watch-2016

No insinuating there. Just clear evidence that the white man is being replaced in his own country.

Can you imagine this happening in Japan? Or Israel? Nah,neither can I.

And despite what some liberal idiot put into Wikipedia, there is no such race as Asian British or Irish British. But you folk will keep insisting creating these stupid labels.

I would consider myself Irish British.
    Do you have an issue with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

jaxxx wrote: »
    Worldwide. Way past time we grew a pair and refused to accept archaic customs into our countries. Religious garment or not, as far as I'm concerned it has always been and always will be a sign of oppression against women. Keep it out of the Western world where women aren't treated as objects.

How dare they show modesty and not walk around half naked, free women dress like skanks dont we all know.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    I would consider myself Irish British.
    Do you have an issue with that?

Why doesn't that surprise me?

I think it is your goodself that have the issues.

The two cultures are intertwined so much and closely related through heritage and a shared language that it is only a complete arsehole that would try and break the relationship down further and describe themselves as British Irish.

Why doesn't that surprise me?

I think it is your goodself that have the issues.

The two cultures are intertwined so much and closely related through heritage and a shared language that it is only a complete arsehole that would try and break the relationship down further and describe themselves as British Irish.

So you think that British people & Irish people are the same? Culturally?
    Maybe we should just join back up with British & make a proper United Kingdom

So you think that British people & Irish people are the same? Culturally?
    Maybe we should just join back up with British & make a proper United Kingdom

By the looks of things if you are white you re grand.

And despite what some liberal idiot put into Wikipedia, there is no such race as Asian British or Irish British. But you folk will keep insisting creating these stupid labels.

British isn't a race. It's a nationality. Unless you want to talk about race related to ethnicity, in which case its a rather mixed "race" considering the Saxons, Normans, Celts, french, etc. And in more modern times, Indian, Chinese, and many other Asians along with Africans.

So.. as for creating labels... that seems to be something of a fad these days. But Asian British is no less odd than Irish American, or African American... The link of ethnicity with a nationality is rather common across the world.

Imperial powers did have a large amount of immigration from their colonies. But the simple fact is that immigration, and "cross-breeding" of races has been going on for a very long time. The idea that any race is completely pure is the stuff of fantasy with the exception of a few races in very remote areas, and even then, I wouldn't be so sure of it.

It's a silly argument.

British isn't a race. It's a nationality. Unless you want to talk about race related to ethnicity, in which case its a rather mixed "race" considering the Saxons, Normans, Celts, french, etc. And in more modern times, Indian, Chinese, and many other Asians along with Africans.

So.. as for creating labels... that seems to be something of a fad these days. But Asian British is no less odd than Irish American, or African American... The link of ethnicity with a nationality is rather common across the world.

Imperial powers did have a large amount of immigration from their colonies. But the simple fact is that immigration, and "cross-breeding" of races has been going on for a very long time. The idea that any race is completely pure is the stuff of fantasy with the exception of a few races in very remote areas, and even then, I wouldn't be so sure of it.

It's a silly argument.

Then don't argue it. Because I certainty didn't.

• Advertisement

Then don't argue it. Because I certainty didn't.

You raised it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

No insinuating there. Just clear evidence that the white man is being replaced in his own country.

So you're a racist. Grand then so.

Yeah, its just an option on the British census form. Never catch on.

By the looks of things if you are white you re grand.

I've already said, very clearly earlier that the white man is being replaced and I've given a valid reason why. Read back. How you can read the total opposite to what I said is just being Ridicolous.

I've already said, very clearly earlier that the white man is being replaced and I've given a valid reason why. Read back. How you can read the total opposite to what I said is just being Ridicolous.

With what exactly?

Why does the colour of someones skin bother you so much?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

tomofson wrote: »
    free women dress like skanks dont we all know.

Sounds like something a member of a muslim rape gang would say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Why is colour being brought into it ?

Who cares what colour someone is ? It's their beliefs and practices that are called into question, not what they look like.

Why is colour being brought into it ?

Who cares what colour someone is ? It's their beliefs and practices that are called into question, not what they look like.

Because it makes the discussion unreasonable, and shuts down the conversation. Why assume that someone posting that kind of rubbish is actually worried about Muslims?

At this stage, considering the number of the threads that have arisen on AH regarding Muslims or Immigration, It's not difficult to notice the main ways to shut them down. Racism is easily one of the quickest ways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Grayson wrote: »
    Not for the women who wear it. It's part of their identity.

And if you mean our ability to identify them, well I don't see any people complaining about anything else that does it. You never see a thread where people are saying that we need to ban Halloween costumes because it harms our ability to identify people.

Seriously, on halloween we'd have 100k people dressed up, many with masks on. We don't complain about them, it's the less that 100 women who wear a burka.

Don't get me wrong. I don't like the burka. I think it's silly and stupid. But there's a lot of things I think are silly and stupid, especially religious stuff. However we can't start banning something just because we don't like it. And the only practical reason to stop women wearing it is identification. But since we're only picking on women who wear the burka and not every other potential face covering, we're picking on them because of their religion.

You do know why they have the Burka right? Those who wear it, tend not to do so by choice. And then comparing it to dressing up for halloween...

Because it makes the discussion unreasonable, and shuts down the conversation. Why assume that someone posting that kind of rubbish is actually worried about Muslims?

At this stage, considering the number of the threads that have arisen on AH regarding Muslims or Immigration, It's not difficult to notice the main ways to shut them down. Racism is easily one of the quickest ways.

Who is claiming racism? I'm simply asking why the colour of someone's skin matters to the poster?

When i walk down the street i dont see a black or brown or white person i just see a person. He claims that "the white man is being replaced" (he bought colour into it not me) so i have simply asked what "the white man" is being replaced with and why the tone of someone's skin matters to him.

Sounds like the MO of some alright.

Sad that we can't have the discussion that is badly needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

jaxxx wrote: »
    Worldwide. Way past time we grew a pair and refused to accept archaic customs into our countries. Religious garment or not, as far as I'm concerned it has always been and always will be a sign of oppression against women. Keep it out of the Western world where women aren't treated as objects.

That genuinely made me laugh :D

#MeToo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-45395086

Yeah, those "valued" are exactly who you want in Western society alright.

I agree that 'racism' has become almost as redundant as phrases like 'virtue signalling' or 'humble bragging' or any number of ridiculous words use to define someone with an opposing view, but if you go back over the thread in this case it was a very reasonable question to pose based on prior entries. It's not always used just to shut down arguments , there are times when to pose the question is valid. It can be argued that denying someone the right to pose the question is also a way of shutting down that particular discussion. Each interaction and situation should be based on the merits and realities of said interaction.

With what exactly?

Why does the colour of someones skin bother you so much?

It's not racist love the skin your in. It's not racist to want your environment to remain in the same demographic as yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

So again,
    We come back to the question, " Does the Native Culture not matter to anyone anymore"?

Well?

:confused:
    It's not racist love the skin your in. It's not racist to want your environment to remain in the same demographic as yourself.

:eek:

Odhinn wrote: »
    So you're a racist. Grand then so.

Yeah, its just an option on the British census form. Never catch on.

Don't care what created nonsense is on any piece of paper. It can easily be removed. Can you be English? Your using the census form as a guide? Nope! I will save you the bother of looking. And its 20 years since i looked.
    You can't be,there is no such thing as white English according to your stupid document but there is such a thing as Asian British because a piece of paper tells you so?

You libtards will grasp anything at all to shout down a point of view that differs from your own belief system. Each idiotic argument you put up will usually have racist or nazi or both thrown in there.

What is the comment or comments I have posted that stirred you to place the racist tag on me? Tell me so I can purge my wrongdoings immediately. 😎

Who is claiming racism? I'm simply asking why the colour of someone's skin matters to the poster?

When i walk down the street i dont see a black or brown or white person i just see a person. He claims that "the white man is being replaced" (he bought colour into it not me) so i have simply asked what "the white man" is being replaced with and why the tone of someone's skin matters to him.

I wasn't pointing at you, but rather at dennispenn who brought in the race card, and the "replacement" of white people. Any suggestion of race superiority or "white" nations, brings up the racism issue, and the links to the Far Right. Hence, a very quick ending to a discussion, as shown in other threads.

I live in a country with roughly 1.4 billion Chinese people, with extremely few other races in comparison. Trust me, I'm well aware of race, it's issues, and what it's like to be a minority. And I too don't really see skin color, and it's not particularly important to me. Cultural background and political interests are far more important a factor.

Don't care what created nonsense is on any piece of paper. It can easily be removed. Can you be English? Your using the census form as a guide? Nope! I will save you the bother of looking. And its 20 years since i looked.
    You can't be,there is no such thing as white English according to your stupid document but there is such a thing as Asian British because a piece of paper tells you so?

You libtards will grasp anything at all to shout down a point of view that differs from your own belief system. Each idiotic argument you put up will usually have racist or nazi or both thrown in there.

What is the comment or comments I have posted that stirred you to place the racist tag on me? Tell me so I can purge my wrongdoings immediately. ��

Can you be white American?

• Advertisement

I wasn't pointing at you, but rather at dennispenn who brought in the race card, and the "replacement" of white people. Any suggestion of race superiority or "white" nations, brings up the racism issue, and the links to the Far Right. Hence, a very quick ending to a discussion, as shown in other threads.

I live in a country with roughly 1.4 billion Chinese people, with extremely few other races in comparison. Trust me, I'm well aware of race, it's issues, and what it's like to be a minority. And I too don't really see skin color, and it's not particularly important to me. Cultural background and political interests are far more important a factor.

Stop misrepresenting me and my posts!

I am not suggesting white supremacy!

Just stop misrepresenting my posts!

Can you be white American?

You are not at the races at all in this chat. I'm not answering anymore of your infantile questions.

Go away and read a book by Douglas Murray, the strange death of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

One would almost think with his incessant racist ranting that he is hoping the thread will be closed so he can claim it another example of free specch being denied.

So again,
    We come back to the question, " Does the Native Culture not matter to anyone anymore"?

Well?

What is the native culture exactly?
    Can someone describe it?

You are not at the races at all in this chat. I'm not answering anymore of your infantile questions.

Go away and read a book by Douglas Murray, the strange death of Europe.

So you want to shut me down because you don't want to answer my reasonable question..you d no problem answering whether you can or cannot be asian british, so Ill try again Can you be white american?

It's not racist to keep other nationalities away & just surround yourself with Irish people.
    Ireland for the irish, sort of thing?

• Advertisement

DChancer wrote: »
    One would almost think with his incessant racist ranting that he is hoping the thread will be closed so he can claim it another example of free specch being denied.

Where's the racism that I'm responsible for posting? Not good enough to scream racist at someone because you don't like their perspective on the way this country is heading.

It's not racist to keep other nationalities away & just surround yourself with Irish people.
    Ireland for the irish, sort of thing?

NOPE.

Are you familiar with the ethno state? Didn't think you were.

Plenty countries out there are ethno states.

NOPE.

Are you familiar with the ethno state? Didn't think you were.

Plenty countries out there are ethno states.

You do know a lot of stuff bout a lot of things!
    Yesterday you told me you know far more about Muslims than me, or anyone else here.

What do you think of ethno states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

Next we will be told that you cant be Irish if your
    Black
    Mixed Race
    Oriental
    Muslim

So you want to shut me down because you don't want to answer my reasonable question..you d no problem answering whether you can or cannot be asian british, so Ill try again Can you be white american?

Have you tried screaming at the sky today?

I'm not obligated to answer any of your idiotic,off topic questions.

• Advertisement

Have you tried screaming at the sky today?

I'm not obligated to answer any of your idiotic,off topic questions.

Refusing to answer is all the answer that I or any other intelligent poster on here needs , you don t exist in a vacuum you do know that yes? QED

DChancer wrote: »
    Next we will be told that you cant be Irish if your
    Black
    Mixed Race
    Oriental
    Muslim

You clearly have no understanding of the Muslim and nationality. Any nationality!

It's just plain mischievous of you too suggest you can't be black Irish etc that's dragging the exchange down to the bottom level. I had hoped that something could be learned from the exchanges but the chat is polluted with infantile posts who scream racist and misrepresenting because they have no understanding of the changes going on around them and are completely oblivious to its impact.

Yesterday you told me you know far more about Muslims than me, or anyone else here.

I'd be more interested in hearing from you on the subject?

You clearly have no understanding of the Muslim and nationality. Any nationality!

It's just plain mischievous of you too suggest you can't be black Irish etc that's dragging the exchange down to the bottom level. I had hoped that something could be learned from the exchanges but the chat is polluted with infantile posts who scream racist and misrepresenting because they have no understanding of the changes going on around them and are completely oblivious to its impact.

Don't be despondent we've learned a lot about you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I can be pretty certain they would love to live in one.

Refusing to answer is all the answer that I or any other intelligent poster on here needs , you don t exist in a vacuum you do know that yes? QED

I have answered plenty of posters questions here. You can blame your infantile responses for me refusing to engage with you and your idiotic,time wasting posts.

Putting yourself in the intellectual category alongside other posters? The ego is strong with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Don't care what created nonsense is on any piece of paper. It can easily be removed.(..............) to place the racist tag on me? Tell me so I can purge my wrongdoings immediately. ��

Off ye go

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107982932&postcount=435

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107983292&postcount=440

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107985519&postcount=450

Don't be despondent we've learned a lot about you

Hopefully you will learn a lot more by reading a book. The book I recommended.

The strange death of Europe by Douglas Murray

I have answered plenty of posters questions here. You can blame your infantile responses for me refusing to engage with you and your idiotic,time wasting posts.

Putting yourself in the intellectual category alongside other posters? The ego is strong with you!

Can you be White american?

Odhinn wrote: »

You are taking the piss here?

Are you serious? There is nothing racist there.

Are you roxanne pallette? Creating something that is not there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement