Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Dublin ban Burqas and Hijabs?

Comments

dennispenn wrote: »
    Stop misrepresenting me and my posts!

I am not suggesting white supremacy!

Just stop misrepresenting my posts!

You spoke of the fear of other races taking over and replacing white populations. You spoke of your "facts" to show that this is happening in Britain. That is a central theme of the white supremacy movements. Don't blame me for the manner of your posting... perhaps consider the impact of your word choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

You are taking the piss here?

Are you serious? There is nothing racist there.

Are you roxanne pallette? Creating something that is not there.

Are you serious, I'd to google her a 'celeb' on BB, and the main trending topic on twitter.... Is she friends with Douglas Murray by any chance? you couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Why should we ban Burgers etc. McDonald's never hurt anyone in moderation.

Which takeaway sells HiJabs and do they taste nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

You are taking the piss here?

Are you serious? There is nothing racist there.

Are you roxanne pallette? Creating something that is not there.

You disregard anything other than "white british" therefore you are, based on that, a racist. It's 1+1=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

You clearly have no understanding of the Muslim and nationality. Any nationality!

It's just plain mischievous of you too suggest you can't be black Irish etc that's dragging the exchange down to the bottom level. I had hoped that something could be learned from the exchanges but the chat is polluted with infantile posts who scream racist and misrepresenting because they have no understanding of the changes going on around them and are completely oblivious to its impact.

Say the poster who posted this in Post 450:
    No insinuating there. Just clear evidence that the white man is being replaced in his own country.

Hoisted on his own petard.
    Scarlet for him.:D

bubblypop wrote: »
    What is the native culture exactly?
    Can someone describe it?

Well, I'd kinda have to break it into two parts:

First.... Western culture is a term to describe a general culture that is shared among most westernized nations. It usually comes as a result of a shared history, and the evolution of philosophy/morality, psychology, and also, the development of religious issues throughout.

When we consider Europe, Australia, Canada, and the US (to a lesser degree since it's moved away quite a bit), all the countries share common viewpoints regarding areas like women's rights, the values of life, the consideration towards education, political movements etc.

The point is not that there is a completely common culture. The cultures of Britain and France are very different, but they share a common outlook on many issues due to the influence of the Romans, Christianity, WW1/2, etc.

Then when we consider other cultures outside of Western influence, like India, China, or Iran... the cultures are far different. There might be similar attitudes on some issues but that's more likely due to the spread of western culture due to western success in the last 3-4 hundred years. Instead, in most cases, you can point to distinctive cultural differences which directly conflict with "ours".

Second, in terms of local culture, it would be the culture that is native to the region/nation. When the English/British settled Ireland they sought to destroy the Irish culture by banning religious services, the use of the Irish language, and attacking the traditional beliefs through the use of education (or lack of). [Yes, yes, I could mention a lot more about Ireland, but that's beside the point] The local culture was a distinguishing set of beliefs that set the two peoples apart. Generally speaking, any conquering force needs to seek the destruction of the local culture if occupation is to succeed long-term even if they already share the more generalised western outlook (think how German occupations tended to disrupt local cultures).

In modern terms, there aren't huge differences between local culture among the western countries. The westernized culture aspect carries a deep connection for all countries/nationalities involved... although the local culture of language, unique historical perspectives, national attitudes etc all factor in to keep us different (thankfully).... but the western set of values is pretty ingrained in all our systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Yes definitely. People instinvtively trust people more when they can see another persons face. This is because they can read their emotions and see the individual. Covering that up just makes for people to naturally be weary. Also an absolutely draconian and out of place concept in the 21st century. I hate religion so much, anyway, yeah,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

DChancer wrote: »
    Say the poster who posted this in Post 450:
    No insinuating there. Just clear evidence that the white man is being replaced in his own country.

Hoisted on his own petard.
    Scarlet for him.:D

I don't see the contradiction because there is none.

Keep scraping for a smidgen to try and smear me as a racist.

So why is it a problem that for you many british citizens identify as black, asian and so on British?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Can you be white american?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

Odhinn wrote: »
    So why is it a problem that for you many british citizens identify as black, asian and so on British?

Because he is a racist read post 450, its all about the white man being replaced in His (men only no women need apply) country.
    What we are dealing with here is a good ole white supremacist, not a mere opinion of mine, his own posts , his own words confirm that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I think the issue was people who are third or more generation British, never been to their grandparents country and speak none of the languages describing themselves as "British Asians" - with no Asian about them.

Black Irish, Black British, Black Canadian whatever - of course that's legit, why would it not be ?

African American annoys me - not every black person in America has African heritage.

I think the issue was people who are third or more generation British, never been to their grandparents country and speak none of the languages describing themselves as "British Asians" - with no Asian about them.

It's an ethnicity in itself, which many people identify with. Yer mans issue was with anything other than "white british".

DChancer wrote: »
    Because he is a racist read post 450, its all about the white man being replaced in His (men only no women need apply) country.
    What we are dealing with here is a good ole white supremacist, not a mere opinion of mine, his own posts , his own words confirm that.
    You're misrepresenting my posts and taking them out of context.

Am I a misogynist now because I didn't include women?

Sweet baby jesus

It's an ethnicity in itself, which many people identify with. Yer mans issue was with anything other than "white british".

No it was not my view.

You are misreprenting my posts.

• Advertisement

You're misrepresenting my posts and taking them out of context.

Not in the slightest

There's a Town in the UK,savile in Yorkshire. The population is something around 4,000 or a little over it according to the 2011 census. Out of that census only 48 people identified as White British
    The trend is replicated in a lot of other cities where in 10 years in some cases like Luton,white British has dropped by 20℅.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107982932&postcount=435

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It's not racist love the skin your in. It's not racist to want your environment to remain in the same demographic as yourself.

So you want ireland to be a white only country?

I KIND OF get the original point in that there are streets where first generation Muslim immigrants have effectively taken over. there are "Sharia Law Area" signs up; an effective "religious police force" patrolling and - in a case of a close friend's children - English being just one language of 20+ spoken in a school, rendering learning nigh on impossible.

If there is a town like this - and there are sadly - it's a problem.

But only counting "White British" as opposed to anyone of any colour who does not behave like that above is definitely not kosher.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

People can say what they want but I would not want the place where I live to have a large Islamic population. Criticize me all you want but I want to keep it the way it is. The same can be said for a lot of other people I am sure on this Island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Taytoland wrote: »
    People can say what they want but I would not want the place where I live to have a large Islamic population. Criticize me all you want but I want to keep it the way it is. The same can be said for a lot of other people I am sure on this Island.

Over all of Europe, it is highly repressive,regressive aggressive ideology.

• Advertisement

What if say 5000 white catholic people in your area suddenly decided to turn your back on the RCC and convert to Islam?

Would you still be as upset about it or would it only be the darker foreign ones you wouldnt want in your back yard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

Danzy wrote: »

What is, 'White supremacy'?

How many aggresive Muslims have you come into contact with recently?

What if say 5000 white catholic people in your area suddenly decided to turn your back on the RCC and convert to Islam?

Would you still be as upset about it or would it only be the darker foreign ones you wouldnt want in your back yard?
    I'd be upset about it. Islam is terrible for social reasons.

Deflect into racism accusations all you want - I'd find that worse, zealots and converts tend to me more extreme. And it's the extremists that are the bulk of the problem.

Nice try though.

Why? What would change for you if 5000 people in your area suddenly changed religion? How would it affect you and your family?

What is, 'White supremacy'?

Lol, wtf?

What difference does it make to you what religion anyone else is?

Why? What would change for you if 5000 people in your area suddenly changed religion? How would it affect you and your family?

That would be horrendous, converts follow the rules closely and take the religion more to heart. In all faiths

In Islam it leads to a higher rate of militancy.

Mosques for starters. If 5000 people in my area turned to Islam it would be a nightmare and the character of the area changed utterly. I don't want any Mosques near me.

• Advertisement

Deflect into racism accusations all you want - I'd find that worse, zealots and converts tend to me more extreme. And it's the extremists that are the bulk of the problem.

Nice try though.

Hundreds of thousands have turned thier back on the RCC in recent years and turned to atheism (not a religion but certainly a different ideology) and i havent seen much of a change to Ireland other than less people going to church services.

Why would 5000 leaving the RCC and converting to Islam have a negative affect? I haven't made any such racist accusations at all i just asked was it foreign muslims he doesnt want or ALL muslims?

Are you for real?????

I'd like to walk down my street wearing a normal outfit and carrying a bag from the off licence - without several overbearing nutjobs threatening me.

Believe me, that has happened in the UK

bubblypop wrote: »
    What difference does it make to you what religion anyone else is?

Yeah because they tend to leave apostates alone. :rolleyes:

That would be horrendous, converts follow the rules closely and take the religion more to heart. In all faiths

In Islam it leads to a higher rate of militancy.

Neighbour and good friend of mine switched over to Mormonism about 15 years ago, his choice but not once has he ever bought the subject up or tried to convert me. No leaflets no knocking on my doors, unlike the American ones i used to get every bloody summer.

Mosques for starters. If 5000 people in my area turned to Islam it would be a nightmare and the character of the area changed utterly. I don't want any Mosques near me.

I dont want any churches near me but such is life. Freedom of religion is part of living in a free society, you may not lile it but there wouldnt be much you can do about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

I assume none of you have walked down the South Circular Road in Dublin?
    Once the Mosque was built beside the Boxing Arena the whole character of the place nose-dived, I am pretty much convinced that now I wouldn't feel safe walking down that area after dark nowadays.

( Unless it has changed since I worked and lived in that part of Dublin.)

I assume none of you have walked down the South Circular Road in Dublin?
    Once the Mosque was built beside the Boxing Arena the whole character of the place nose-dived, I am pretty much convinced that now I wouldn't feel safe walking down that area after dark nowadays.

( Unless it has changed since I worked and lived in that part of Dublin.)

It hasn't, my students of that faith go there and the younger ones will not go there after dark.

So you want ireland to be a white only country?

100% NO.
    and nowhere have I suggested this.

I am in favor of an ethno state and so are all right minded people.

Neighbour and good friend of mine swithed over to Mormonism about 15 years ago, his choice but not once has he ever vought the subject up or tried to convert me. No leaflets no knocking on my doors, unlike the American ones i used to get every bloody summer.

That is nice, relevance though?

When people convert to a faith with militancy at its core, it has a fall out.

It is like a non political person converting to Fascism or Social democracy.

Ideology matters.

• Advertisement

I dont want any churches near me but such is life. Freedom of religion is part of living in a free society, you may not lile it but there wouldnt be much you can do about it.
    Go build them somewhere else. Why should I accept it? Talk about secularizing society and yet people are happy for the largest enemy against secularism namely Islam to expand. It makes no sense.

Would you still be as upset about it or would it only be the darker foreign ones you wouldn't want in your back yard?

Or be upset about both options rather than having to choose between them?

Lets consider the religious conversion for those who convert to Islam, and I'd consider them to fall into two primary categories.

a) Those who are going through the motions embracing the religion on the surface, but ultimately keeping their western perception. These people are like tourists. They might visit mecca and go through required gestures but still believe in equality for women or other very western concepts. Awesome. Just the right kind of Muslims... But let's face it, that they're pretty rare, and tend to become far more traditional as they become older.

and

b) Those who whole-heatedly embrace Islam, and jump down the rabbit hole embracing the more fundamental beliefs. A complete 180 degree change in perspective, with a rush to remove all the contamination that western culture provided. You can see these kinds of people in those who change allegiances and actually fight for Isis, or join grooming gangs.

For myself... I don't want a Dominant Islamic culture in Ireland (or Europe). I don't want communities where my nieces are assaulted (verbally/physically) because they don't dress or behave as Muslim women. This is Ireland, and should have Irish cultural habits. It's fine to welcome Muslims to Ireland, but only as long, as they're accepting that their beliefs are not ever to be projected on to others. Never. Ever. No chance of. None. Zip. Nadda.

But... here's the thing. Those who defend Islam in Europe are the very people who would support changes in our society/culture/laws to make Muslims equal with the Irish...

Except, of course, Islam (or Muslims) doesn't seek to be equal, since their religion/culture tells them that there can't be any competing ideologies.. It really is amazing how much people try to ignore this. Both Mohammad and the Koran have identified themselves as being the one true faith and it is the Duty of Muslims to remove/absorb other faiths. That's not open to interpretation... that's a pretty clear order. And I've seen no movement within Islamic groups to change that order to say "let's peacefully coexist and respect other cultures especially when we're in their countries"..

You can always leave Ireland or move somewhere there are no churches.
    You are not a tree.

You sounding like one of those people who have bought a house near crokepark and complain that about the sporting and musical event's being held there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Go build them somewhere else. Why should I accept it? Talk about secularizing society and yet people are happy for the largest enemy against secularism namely Islam to expand. It makes no sense.

I'm sure muslims are as keen to live next to you as you are to live next to them.

That is nice, relevance though?

When people convert to a faith with militancy at its core, it has a fall out.

It is like a non political person converting to Fascism or Social democracy.

Ideology matters.

Do you know or work with any Muslims? Have they tried to convert you by any means?

100% NO.
    and nowhere have I suggested this.

I am in favor of an ethno state and so are all right minded people.

Ok so lets say Ireland became an ethno state tomorrow.

How do you see things going?

What happens to muslim people born here? What happens to other non christian denominations born here?

Tell us your vision of an Irish ethno state please.

• Advertisement

NIMBYISM at its finest :rolleyes:

Hundreds of thousands have turned thier back on the RCC in recent years and turned to atheism (not a religion but certainly a different ideology) and i havent seen much of a change to Ireland other than less people going to church services.

Why would 5000 leaving the RCC and converting to Islam have a negative affect? I haven't made any such racist accusations at all i just asked was it foreign muslims he doesnt want or ALL muslims?

It's pretty obvious why people are leaving the Church.

The figure's on Muslims is sketchy to say the least.
    You can't leave the religion for starters. It's not looked upon kindly. They get very upset with this. :)

If you are born in Turkey you are automatically assumed to be Muslim regardless of your faith.
    The census there is untrustworthy.

Islam,being only 1400 years old has spread like a Cancer across Africa and Asia in a violent conquest.the choice given to natives is submit your will to Allah or die a kufar.

Don't be so gullible.

Do you know or work with any Muslims? Have they tried to convert you by any means?

Convert ? No.

Ban alcohol at student events as they don't like it ? Yes
    Ensure that EVERYTHING the staff and student restaurant serves is Halal ? Yes
    Try to close down the Lesbian and Gay groups ? Yes
    Be given a "religious exemption" to sexual health and consent classes ? Yes
    Treat female staff in authority like dirt and have it excused ? Yes

How many aggresive Muslims have you come into contact with recently?

Quite a few actually.

I've been traveling around Ireland/Europe visiting friends/family before I return to China. You know the gig. Stay at their places, go eat locally on a budget, go out for drinks etc.

And I have encountered quite a few groups of Muslims (or those of M.East ethnicity) who were hostile, aggressive and sometimes violent. I've seen them be offensive to women walking past them in the streets in both the UK and France. I've seen Muslim guys walk into cafes picking fights with the locals in Spain (and vice versa).

Fact is... compared with the last time I did this trip a decade ago, Europe has turned rather violent. Not the case of every night or every time I went outside, but these types of encounters were far more common than I expected. Sure, parts of the UK were always a bit rough, as were many French cities, but those of M.Eastern Ethnicity played a major part of the fights or issues I saw this time around. And from conversations with those who lived there... they suggested that things had changed dramatically within the last decade.

Quite a few actually.

I've been traveling around Ireland/Europe visiting friends/family before I return to China. You know the gig. Stay at their places, go eat locally on a budget, go out for drinks etc.

And I have encountered quite a few groups of Muslims (or those of M.East ethnicity) who were hostile, aggressive and sometimes violent. I've seen them be offensive to women walking past them in the streets in both the UK and France. I've seen Muslim guys walk into cafes picking fights with the locals in Spain (and vice versa).

Fact is... compared with the last time I did this trip a decade ago, Europe has turned rather violent. Not the case of every night or every time I went outside, but these types of encounters were far more common than I expected. Sure, parts of the UK were always a bit rough, as were many French cities, but those of M.Eastern Ethnicity played a major part of the fights or issues I saw this time around. And from conversations with those who lived there... they suggested that things had changed dramatically within the last decade.

Lyon last November - I'm a big girl and can take care of myself but Jesus I never went near that town square alone.

Like seeing a pack of lions stalking prey.

• Advertisement
Advertisement