Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo Trainer Help

Options
  • 01-09-2018 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Hello

Hopefully someone can help me. I'm looking for a turbo trainer where i can ride actual real-life routes(GPX) on the trainer. I had a tacx turbo years ago(but stupidly gave to my BIL, according to my sister it was a gift, i thought it was a loan).

This trainer had computer software, and allowed me to load routes, and the magnetic brake at the back manually adjusted the resistance. But i just had a look online and i'm very confused.

So if anyone could tell me what i'm looking for, and maybe some suggestions, i would very greatful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I just bought a Tacx Flow (refurbished) off eBay that will do that. €228 in Halfords. It only goes to 6% slope so that may be a negative. I haven't tried it yet but it will follow courses off your Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I just bought a Tacx Flow (refurbished) off eBay that will do that. €228 in Halfords. It only goes to 6% slope so that may be a negative. I haven't tried it yet but it will follow courses off your Garmin.

Assume you can export strava routes too? I heard you can also raise the wheel to help create great resistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Have you looked at Zwift? You use it with a turbo trainer.

Keedowah wrote: »
    Have you looked at Zwift? You use it with a turbo trainer.

Yeah i was looking at that, but only turbos with mains power seem to allow zwift to adjust the resistance brake, is that correct

Depends on the trainer I think. Check out the list here, (they outline what trainers will change the resistance etc):
    https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/203152565-Which-trainers-does-Zwift-support-

I don't have one - just interested in getting on in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Yeah i was looking at that, but only turbos with mains power seem to allow zwift to adjust the resistance brake, is that correct
    The Tacx Bushido Smart T2780 doesn't use mains and will work with Zwift.

The Tacx Bushido Smart T2780 doesn't use mains and will work with Zwift.

Yeah but they are €600.

Just a quick one, my back wheel has a Conti 23 tyre as a 25 doesn't fit due to the frame. Will that rule out a lot of trainers

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

The tacx app allows that i think, so most tacx trainers might support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Yeah but they are €600.

Just a quick one, my back wheel has a Conti 23 tyre as a 25 doesn't fit due to the frame. Will that rule out a lot of trainers
    Makes no difference.. turbos eat tyres though so u might want to consider a spare wheel with dedicated turbo tyre. (Which May be larger than 25mm)

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Makes no difference.. turbos eat tyres though so u might want to consider a spare wheel with dedicated turbo tyre. (Which May be larger than 25mm)

A 25 can't physically fit on my bike, i think its a 22/23 i have on the back. I have seen trainer tyres in 23.

Looking at the Tacx Vortex, its within budget. And was looking at Zwift it looks really good and should help with motivation, as i can count my indoor cycling time as gaming time too:D

Just been looking at my work schedule over the next few weeks, its going to be very hard to get out on the road, as i don't cycle in the dark...Maybe get on 3 times over the next 23 days from the look of it

Has anyone used a vortex or zwift any feed feedback would be great...

• Advertisement

Wonder if getting one second hand would be an option. There is a Bushido for sale for €50
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332785136419

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

c.p.w.g.w wrote:
    Has anyone used a vortex or zwift any feed feedback would be great...

I have a vortex and use it on zwift. Got it for last winter. I use it in erg mode 90% of the time and its the best upgrade i bought for the bike. Bumped my ftp from 180 to 250 over the first 3 months i had it then the weather was back good enough for outdoors.

Went from AVG 24-26 to 32-36 on the work commute. Started back today on the turbo and started with my old FTP and was able to hold the watts. Looking forward to winter now in the pain cave :D

I have a vortex and use it on zwift. Got it for last winter. I use it in erg mode 90% of the time and its the best upgrade i bought for the bike. Bumped my ftp from 180 to 250 over the first 3 months i had it then the weather was back good enough for outdoors.

Went from AVG 24-26 to 32-36 on the work commute. Started back today on the turbo and started with my old FTP and was able to hold the watts. Looking forward to winter now in the pain cave :D

What is ERG mode? Also does the Vortex count cadence/wattage?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

c.p.w.g.w wrote:
    What is ERG mode? Also does the Vortex count cadence/wattage?

Yes it counts wattage and cadence. Wattage is accurate to about +/-4% which is good for a trainer at this price range.

ERG mode sets the trainer hold a certain wattage regardless of what gear your in. Its your bread and butter for training. YouTube some videos on it.

Advertisement