Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Day with the Duckett’s - 8-9th Sept

Options
  • 02-09-2018 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

http://carlowtourism.com/a-day-with-the-ducketts/
    A Day with the Duckett’s – TWO DAYS OF NOSTALGIA

Bringing visitors back a century at the magical location of Duckett’s Grove

On the 8thand 9thof September, the rambling old ruin of Duckett’s Grove mansion will be brought back to life with a bustling and vibrant recreation, as it was for family and estate workers more than a century ago. Reel in the years and transform yourself back to the early 1900s and take this opportunity to see Duckett’s Grove Estate as it may have been in all its glory.

Observe a fully functioning labourers cottage, servant basement quarters, blacksmith and stable area and demonstrations of basket making, bread making, weaving, butter making, poaching and old time games. See the return of horse drawn carriages, stabled horses, ponies and traps and cars used by the Duckett family.
    Peel away the layers of .... Read more

Sounds like it will be good, great to see it happening too

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Won't make it, so sorry to miss it, but looks like a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

I went to this with the family yesterday. It was a nice day out and all credit to the people who organised it. I'd say that alot of work went into it and it was all done by volunteers as far as I know. We actually travelled up from Ferrybank (South Kilkenny/Waterford City border) but, with the motorway, it took us less than an hour. If they do it again next year, it might be nice to publicise it a little bit more - my wife only happened to see a small mention of it in one of the papers - I reckon people would travel a distance for it and the motorway really shrinks distances in the region. Or maybe you Carlow people just want to keep these things for yourselves;).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I think it was kept relatively small, following a rather disastrous event previously. Heard good reports of the weekend, disgusted to miss it. And just so there will be no more talk of keeping schtum, you might be interested in:

https://scarefest.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

I think it was kept relatively small, following a rather disastrous event previously. Heard good reports of the weekend, disgusted to miss it. And just so there will be no more talk of keeping schtum, you might be interested in:

https://scarefest.ie/

Thanks for that. In fairness, a few good events there. They also have a few good things planned in Huntington Castle for Halloween too(I was there recently). My own kids are a little bit young for those events so I'll probably give them a miss. However, it does underline that it's worth keeping an eye on what's going on in other counties. As I said above, with the motorway, it's very easy travel these days. I heard at the weekend that the house at Altamont is now open so I reckon that might be worth a visit some day too.

Advertisement