Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2018 in Revenue - Customs Trade Facilitation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kenny2079

Documents received and signed. Contract, medical, pension.
    Garda vetting email arrived.
    First training batch in on the 12th November in mount street. Mix of existing revenue and external entrants. I’m lucky to be able to leave my current position with little notice.
    For others they will have to start training in Jan/Feb.

Received results from PAS.
    47-47-48-49 out of 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Kenny2079 wrote: »
    First training batch in on the 12th November in mount street. Mix of existing revenue and external entrants. I’m lucky to be able to leave my current position with little notice.

Did they request references?

Vologda69 wrote: »
    Did they request references?

Everything was checked.
    Customs have never taken in external staff like this before. Prior to this competition only civil servents working in Revenue were allowed to apply for customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Heisenberg79

Received results from PAS.
    47-47-48-49 out of 50.

What are the shift patterns if I may ask ;)?

What are the shift patterns if I may ask ;)?

Not stated.
    Still have to be agreed with the unions and management.

• Advertisement

Not stated.
    Still have to be agreed with the unions and management.

Did they at least indicate if this is 10 hrs. or 12 hrs. per day etc.? Did they provide any timeframe of when this could be expected? It is quite crucial information.

Did they at least indicate if this is 10 hrs. or 12 hrs. per day etc.? Did they provide any timeframe of when this could be expected? It is quite crucial information.

None. Just the total hours per week. Standard week.
    In the interview I was told to expect an early start 6:00-14:00 morning and 14:00-22:00 evening.
    Prepare for cold mornings.
    And you’ll deffo need to drive in.
    No public transport so early in the morning.

But it’s still up in the air.

In the interview I was told to expect an early start 6:00-14:00 morning and 14:00-22:00 evening.
    But the booklet did say you needed a driving licence.

They hours you mentioned, are they for Dublin?

They hours you mentioned, are they for Dublin?

It was during the interview. So didn’t mention for where.
    Remember it is shift work. So it will be an early start. On a rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Annie K64

But the booklet did say you needed a driving licence.

I don't recall seeing that you had to have a driver's license in the booklet?

• Advertisement

Annie K64 wrote: »
    I don't recall seeing that you had to have a driver's license in the booklet?

My bad. Your right. I corrected my post.

But you’ll need some way to get to work in the mornings.

olly2018 wrote: »
    During what interview?

My interview for this position. In PAS.

Apparently only people interested in Dublin are being called at the moment. There will be training dates in Jan, Feb and March 2019. No references required until you accept training date. They also acknowledged that people will have to give notice etc. but they are just trying to fill training sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

Vologda69 wrote: »
    Apparently only people interested in Dublin are being called at the moment. There will be training dates in Jan, Feb and March 2019. No references required until you accept training date

First . Congrats to your sister :)

Secondly thanks for the reliable update :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

Apparently only 10 external COs have been called for the upcoming training. The rest of this training group (approx another 10) are internal and higher level (EO and HEO). Internal COs have already undergone training.

greenb wrote: »
    Apparently only 10 external COs have been called for the upcoming training. The rest of this training group (approx another 10) are internal and higher level (EO and HEO). Internal COs have already undergone training.

Ah well seem all this was pointless for me. That's life

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Annie K64

gizmo23 wrote: »
    Ah well seem all this was pointless for me. That's life

Don't give up hope yet

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Why go to so much bother, interviewing hundreds of people in two batches when there seems to be few people being offered positions so far.

weadick wrote: »
    Why go to so much bother, interviewing hundreds of people in two batches when there seems to be few people being offered positions so far.

They have only interviewed batch one. Batch two have just finished the stage 2. Which makes it all the more weird to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Contrary to what others are saying, I've heard from friends in Revenue that they reckon the they'll get through the first batch of COs, as in have them training, by January. Hence why the second batch is starting the tests now. They're hardly putting people through the system they've no intention of using.

No need for all the doom and gloom! Plenty of people will not take the jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

Pudsy33 wrote: »

This is very true. There are lots of reasons why people will turn down offers, not least, most people don't have all their eggs in one basket and will get other offers. If you passed batch one interviews you will most likely get an offer at some stage. What's frustrating me is slipping so far in ion from stage 2 to 3. Obviously, I didn't prepare well enough for interview. I certainly know a lot more about competency based interviews now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Dublin Port shifts at the moment are

05:00 - 13:00
    13:00 - 21:00
    21:00 - 05:00

They’re looking to change these and are in negotiations with the unions, they’re also crying out for people on the 5am to 1pm shift as they haven’t enough people for it

• Registered Users Posts: 34 olly2018

billie1b wrote: »
    Dublin Port shifts at the moment are

05:00 - 13:00
    13:00 - 21:00
    21:00 - 05:00

They’re looking to change these and are in negotiations with the unions, they’re also crying out for people on the 5am to 1pm shift as they haven’t enough people for it

The shifts do not rotate? Hours themselves are not bad to avoid peak traffic

Also the booklet said some locations were 24/7. The above shifts would only cover Mon-Fri?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

olly2018 wrote: »
    The shifts do not rotate? Hours themselves are not bad to avoid peak traffic

Also the booklet said some locations were 24/7. The above shifts would only cover Mon-Fri?

No them shifts cover Monday to Sunday 24/7, the shifts can rotate but generally they allow staff to choose if they would like earlies, mids or nights, they’re trying to change it, thats why they’re in negotations with the unions

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Gorman700

Is Cork definitely on the lower shift rate or is this due to or currently changing?? No.5 in OOM after the interview, got my stage 3 results today from the interview, no phone call or any further communication. A little worried about the salary @ the 16% if that's what it is.

Gorman700 wrote: »
    Is Cork definitely on the lower shift rate or is this due to or currently changing?? No.5 in OOM after the interview, got my stage 3 results today from the interview, no phone call or any further communication. A little worried about the salary @ the 16% if that's what it is.

As far as im aware only Dublin operates 24 shift. Cork is 16/7 shift. 8am-Midnite opening. Extra payment for Sunday work though

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dubted

Contrary to what others are saying, I've heard from friends in Revenue that they reckon the they'll get through the first batch of COs, as in have them training, by January. Hence why the second batch is starting the tests now. They're hardly putting people through the system they've no intention of using.

Is this dependent on a Brexit deal being agreed as opposed to a no deal withdrawal? If they agree a deal will the customs jobs be needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Paddy2018

There is little, if any, prospect of the mainland UK remaining in the customs union. Therefore all imports and exports to and from there will be subject to customs checks. However, it is highly likely that the period of transition until the UK leaves will be extended. Should this happen, new customs staff will not be required to be in place as soon as March 29 2019. This might explain why (according to one contributor here)only 10 applicants to this campaign will be trained in November. A no deal scenario is mainly relevant to the land border with Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Dubted wrote: »

Is this dependent on a Brexit deal being agreed as opposed to a no deal withdrawal? If they agree a deal will the customs jobs be needed?

Well its likely they need to recruiting a certain number regardless and train them up due to the lack of experience in customs.

1992/1993 was the last time VAT at the point of entry was applied to import from countries in the (now) EU. The knowledge, skills and experience are now limited to a small number of staff dealing with non-EU countries and given the Britain is Irelands largest trading partners i highly doubt they're going to wait until the 11th hour to start hiring staff.

Even with the speed of this campaign, revenue have said they will only have 1/3 of the required staff hired and trained by march 29th in the event of a no deal brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Dubted

Well its likely they need to recruiting a certain number regardless and train them up due to the lack of experience in customs.

1992/1993 was the last time VAT at the point of entry was applied to import from countries in the (now) EU. The knowledge, skills and experience are now limited to a small number of staff dealing with non-EU countries and given the Britain is Irelands largest trading partners i highly doubt they're going to wait until the 11th hour to start hiring staff.

Even with the speed of this campaign, revenue have said they will only have 1/3 of the required staff hired and trained by march 29th in the event of a no deal brexit.

Yeah..that makes sense...I know it could together way...but from some earlier posts they are probably short anyway...and the talk of a deal at the moment is a 'bare bones' customs are arrangement which would likely mean some regulatory checks albeit minimal east/west between GB and Irl during any transition...just hope it wasn't a waster of time..I'm in first batch top 20 btw.

Advertisement