Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2018 in Revenue - Customs Trade Facilitation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dubted

Well its likely they need to recruiting a certain number regardless and train them up due to the lack of experience in customs.

1992/1993 was the last time VAT at the point of entry was applied to import from countries in the (now) EU. The knowledge, skills and experience are now limited to a small number of staff dealing with non-EU countries and given the Britain is Irelands largest trading partners i highly doubt they're going to wait until the 11th hour to start hiring staff.

Even with the speed of this campaign, revenue have said they will only have 1/3 of the required staff hired and trained by march 29th in the event of a no deal brexit.

Yeah..that makes sense...I know it could go either way...but from some earlier posts they are probably short anyway...and the talk of a deal at the moment is a 'bare bones' customs are arrangement which would likely mean some regulatory checks albeit minimal east/west between GB and Irl during any transition...just hope it wasn't a waster of time..I'm in first batch top 20 btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Dubted wrote: »
    Well its likely they need to recruiting a certain number regardless and train them up due to the lack of experience in customs.

1992/1993 was the last time VAT at the point of entry was applied to import from countries in the (now) EU. The knowledge, skills and experience are now limited to a small number of staff dealing with non-EU countries and given the Britain is Irelands largest trading partners i highly doubt they're going to wait until the 11th hour to start hiring staff.

Even with the speed of this campaign, revenue have said they will only have 1/3 of the required staff hired and trained by march 29th in the event of a no deal brexit.

Yeah..that makes sense...I know it could go either way...but from some earlier posts they are probably short anyway...and the talk of a deal at the moment is a 'bare bones' customs are arrangement which would likely mean some regulatory checks albeit minimal east/west between GB and Irl during any transition...just hope it wasn't a waster of time..I'm in first batch top 20 btw.

Well revenue are on about hiring 700 staff in customs so top 20 in batch 1... id say you've a safe bet as long as you get through the clearance and reference checks

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Well revenue are on about hiring 700 staff in customs so top 20 in batch 1... id say you've a safe bet as long as you get through the clearance and reference checks

I hope you're right. I'm top 50 batch one for Cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Diarmaid38

weadick wrote: »
    I hope you're right. I'm top 50 batch one for Cork...

Hey, I number 26 in Rosslare, just wondering where you heard that they were taking on 700?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Diarmaid38 wrote: »
    Hey, I number 26 in Rosslare, just wondering where you heard that they were taking on 700?

(Probably shouldn't be speaking for someone else!) but figure has been in the media. From July 2018
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/brexit-1-000-new-customs-and-veterinary-inspectors-to-be-hired-1.3569403

"Speaking after a special Cabinet meeting in Derrynane House, Co Kerry, the Taoiseach said the British government will be expected to honour its “cast iron guarantee” of the so-called backstop arrangement.

At the meeting, Ministers agreed to hire 700 additional customs officials to be deployed at ports and airports, and 300 extra staff to carry out checks on agricultural produce and animals travelling between Ireland and the UK after Brexit.

A Government statement said “significant” investment will also be needed to upgrade existing infrastructure at ports and airports, in particular Rosslare and Dublin Ports"

So assumption would be that 700 is the most they can recruit (could be fewer though? don't know anything about this competition).

• Advertisement

Ah said above. However i don't know how many of the "hire 700 additional customs officials" will be at CO grade as they are running internal competitions for EO's, AO's and HEO grades also.

If they go by the 50/50 rule (internal/external), you would expect about 300/350 to be external candidates from this competition.

Anyone who applied for Cork hear anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Anyone who applied for Cork hear anything?

Sister is oom 2 for Cork. Had Dublin as second preference. They rang last week offering Dublin and said they were not recruiting for Cork yet. Told her they would be in touch in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

This is not really good for anyone in Batch 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 fungijay

CZ 453 wrote: »
    This is not really good for anyone in Batch 2.

All really depends on what if any withdrawal agreement is made, rumours had the UK in a full customs agreement until the transition is over this weekend, that would put an end to all hiring I think. But today its all back up in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 justin_lucas

Whats the chances on them informing people that they have reached capacity? In other words will be find out either way? 
    I'm within the seventies from batch one and have my fingers and toes crossed to get a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dalio

Whats the chances on them informing people that they have reached capacity? In other words will be find out either way? 
    I'm within the seventies from batch one and have my fingers and toes crossed to get a call.

I'm not sure exactly they normally open a panel for 2 years from the first people to be appointed until the end. So you won't be told as an individual but at some point, you'll get an idea when the panel ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JobHunter2000

fungijay wrote: »
    All really depends on what if any withdrawal agreement is made, rumours had the UK in a full customs agreement until the transition is over this weekend, that would put an end to all hiring I think. But today its all back up in the air.
    We're probably the only people in the country cheering on a hard Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

We're probably the only people in the country cheering on a hard Brexit.

I am glad I am not the only one haha....Genuinely can't see UK staying in our CU as that was one of the two big selling points on brexit .

It's the not knowing that would annoy you

Has anyone from batch 2 received results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

No. You?

CZ 453 wrote: »

No. You?

No. The woman in our room said it could be up to 4 weeks but i don't think she actually knew.

Did they give any indication to anyone else??

Suppose the stuff about us all being training by Jan was a bit off the mark so! :)

Suppose the stuff about us all being training by Jan was a bit off the mark so! :)

I am pretty sure that is batch one.

Batch 2 results would be out near end of November according to a friend.

If they get called straight to an interview I would be under the assumption that the batch one list will be all used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 MarkElsewhere

Yes, at our test last Wednesday, the woman said it would be late November or early December... I'm still hoping it's a little sooner than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭revenent

Everything is purely speculation at this point, hopefully we will hear some info from the person starting with the first 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

If someone in scores higher in batch 2 interviews than someone who has already passed in batch 1, do they skip the queue?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Heisenberg79

greenb wrote: »
    If someone in scores higher in batch 2 interviews than someone who has already passed in batch 1, do they skip the queue?

I don't think so. They will go first with all people on batch 1.

Nope batch 1 is done and your order of merit is what it is unless of course people drop put so basically can only go up.

Batch 2 is completely separate

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kenny2079

The first 10 or so have been issued contracts and training start on Monday. (I’m in that group)

The next group to be taken in will be in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kenny2079

No.
    Batch 1 will be offered positions before batch 2.

Kenny2079 wrote: »
    The first 10 or so have been issued contracts and training start on Monday. (I’m in that group)

The next group to be taken in will be in Jan.

Probably Dublin only I'd imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dalio

Yes, at our test last Wednesday, the woman said it would be late November or early December... I'm still hoping it's a little sooner than that.

Yeah same with us on last Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Paddy2018

A friend who has a OOM 19 for Dublin was contacted this morning by Revenue and offered an immediate role in Dublin. She turned it down in the hope that she will be offered her first choice (Wexford) at some later stage. Either they are making offers to an additional amount of candidates or some of the top ten have backed out.

Advertisement